Lodging in Rome

texas bound

We are considering the Hotel Sonya for our pre cruise stay in Nov. My husband has a scooter. Are there many steps to get into the building?

There are probably 4 or 5 steps up from street level. I have doubts that a scooter would fit through the elevator door - it's the tiny European style. You might email them and ask for measurements.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You will not get much at all for $100, if anything. Also, you will want to stay in the central area, which I learned through personal experience is NOT anywhere near Termini.

Do yourself a huge favor--stay someplace central, so you can enjoy the flavor of the city and not waste your time schlepping back and forth to out-of-the-way places. Rome is a fantastic city!!

Yes, you can find cheaper hotels near Termini, but it is inconvenient to the major sites (about a 15-20 minute walk to the Colosseum, much farther to other sites) and if you only have a few days, why would you want to spend your time so far away from where you want to be?

We stayed near Termini for a week; on our most recent visit, last month, we stayed in the Centro Storico and the difference in the experience was huge. Everything about it was better--it wasn't seedy as the Termini area can be, the restaurants were much better, and everything was close by. From our hotel near Termini, we had to walk 10 minutes just to get the bus to take us to the places we wanted to go!!

Good post. Pay an extra 100 E to make things easier. Money well spent.

Sorry Cathy and Tom. ;) I am going to side with Flames19 on the Hotel Canada and Termini location. An excellent property! :)

We have stayed there 3 times and still enjoy the location and the attention to 'Old World' detail that the hotel offers. We have never found the location a burden, as we are walkers. The hotel is in a good neighborhood, with a Convent across the street and many restaurants nearby. We have never felt unsafe.

If not walking to the sites, the Termini is just a couple of blocks away. We can catch the metro, train, HOHO bus or cab and be in central Rome in minutes. We have done all the above. The Termini was especially convenient when we took the train from Rome to Florence early one morning on our recent visit. It took 5 minutes to walk to the train station.

Hotel Canada is a deal when you factor in the size of the beautiful rooms, bathrooms, and the included full breakfast. (see photos below) There is also an evening cocktail hour, free Wi-Fi and very helpful staff. Save that $100 a night and use it for good meals and touring.

Flames19 - Wait a minute...you paid E150 a night? LOL We paid E168 our first night and E177 the second night. :D Did you stay in the Classic or Deluxe room?

MediterraneanCruise481.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg.276b4f467e2e6d4af3b533fe17fb548c.jpg

022.jpg.1749d0657d120a64ca96102cdaf9313d.jpg

"We paid E168 our first night and E177 the second night"

My point exactly!!!! We paid E180 and were right in the heart of everything, with breakfast included!!!!

I used to recommend the hotel we stayed in near Termini--the Raffaello--until I tried staying in the Centro Storico-then I saw what I had been missing.

"We paid E168 our first night and E177 the second night"

My point exactly!!!! We paid E180 and were right in the heart of everything, with breakfast included!!!!

I used to recommend the hotel we stayed in near Termini--the Raffaello--until I tried staying in the Centro Storico-then I saw what I had been missing.

I'd be interested in that area for that price. The rooms on their website look pretty nice. Some large, but some smaller and not so nice looking. Are there different classes of rooms? I priced one for next May (the time we travel to Rome) and got a similar price to yours IF we pay in cash. The rate jumps to E215 when paying with CC. That's without breakfast. There seemed to be only two options for booking. One with and one without B&B.

We stayed in a B&B on a post cruise trip (Hotel Canada pre-cruise) because I found an introductory "grand opening" rate for E99 a night. The location was around the corner from St. Peter's. Wonderful location, beautiful rooms, but very, very small. The bathroom was even smaller and no breakfast. :eek: I still prefer comfort over convenience.

Relais Vatican View

052.jpg.dac1325ce6231b67df1e0961ef6820fc.jpg

051.jpg.d9d06f1506a47e8e5e3606d307d7f3ba.jpg

053.jpg.0c62e10eb144af081058d913c9a171f7.jpg

Sorry Cathy and Tom. ;) I am going to side with Flames19 on the Hotel Canada and Termini location. An excellent property! :)

We have stayed there 3 times and still enjoy the location and the attention to 'Old World' detail that the hotel offers. We have never found the location a burden, as we are walkers. The hotel is in a good neighborhood, with a Convent across the street and many restaurants nearby. We have never felt unsafe.

If not walking to the sites, the Termini is just a couple of blocks away. We can catch the metro, train, HOHO bus or cab and be in central Rome in minutes. We have done all the above. The Termini was especially convenient when we took the train from Rome to Florence early one morning on our recent visit. It took 5 minutes to walk to the train station.

Hotel Canada is a deal when you factor in the size of the beautiful rooms, bathrooms, and the included full breakfast. (see photos below) There is also an evening cocktail hour, free Wi-Fi and very helpful staff. Save that $100 a night and use it for good meals and touring.

Flames19 - Wait a minute...you paid E150 a night? LOL We paid E168 our first night and E177 the second night. :D Did you stay in the Classic or Deluxe room?

020.jpg

We had 2 twin beds.....Not sure what it was designated as! I just know we could not cancel it, and paid for it in full back in Jan. Think we saved like 15 Euro by going that route! Would stay there in a heartbeat if we ever went back

I wouldn't stay in a hotel in Rome that costs $100 USD.

Rome and Europe are expensive. You just have to get used to that and readjust your thinking. Also lower your expectations even if you pay more. Don't expect hotels like we have in the US. Buildings are old, rooms are small and vary quite a bit even within a hotel, elevators are rare (and you often have to walk up a flight of stairs to get to the elevator), you get one room key, a/c isn't everywhere and it doesn't cool as much as we are used to, etc.

You often get a better price if you book directly with the hotel and pay in cash.

However, Rome is my favorite city and we love to spend several weeks there at a time. We just adapt and keep reminding ourselves "When in Rome..."

A good rule of thumb is to take half the clothes and twice the money.

I've stayed all around Rome. There's absolutely nothing wrong with staying at Termini as a budget-friendly option, especially if -- like many cruisers -- you are only staying a night and you're headed to Civitavecchia on the train the next day. The area isn't unsafe and it's been cleaned up quite a bit in the last 10 years. Just last year I stayed near Termini at Hotel Sonya (I like to try new hotels and the location worked well with my plans).

It was perfectly reasonable. However, it is still not as pleasant nor as convenient as staying somewhere more central.

I wouldn't stay in a hotel in Rome that costs $100 USD.

Rome and Europe are expensive. You just have to get used to that and readjust your thinking. Also lower your expectations even if you pay more. Don't expect hotels like we have in the US. Buildings are old, rooms are small and vary quite a bit even within a hotel, elevators are rare (and you often have to walk up a flight of stairs to get to the elevator), you get one room key, a/c isn't everywhere and it doesn't cool as much as we are used to, etc.

You often get a better price if you book directly with the hotel and pay in cash.

However, Rome is my favorite city and we love to spend several weeks there at a time. We just adapt and keep reminding ourselves "When in Rome..."

A good rule of thumb is to take half the clothes and twice the money.

Priceless! True!

We love Rome too.:)

020.jpg

The OP is looking for a room for E75 per night.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express San Giovanni, which we chose for 2 specific reasons:

-I had Priority Club points, and so could get 2 free nights;

-It was walking distance to Tuscolana train station, 1 stop down from Termini and, more importantly, with direct train service to Civitavecchia.

It was definitely a budget place, and the area isn't the most picturesque, but it was fine for our needs, and provided a pretty good (included) morning breakfast.

We are planning to go to Rome a couple of days early to do sightseeing. When looking for lodging there are very wide ranges of prices. We don't have to have the best but we don't want a dump either.

Can you give me some suggestions in the $100/night price range? If I stay that low, will the lodging be a dump?

Not sure when you are going but you might want to look at an apartment. Ive booked one for Nov 1st 3 night post cruise and its 100 Euro per night in the Campo Di Fiori area. Look at VRBO #221275 to see the apt. It looks awesome and gets great reviews and the location couldnt be better. Larry

flames9 - You must have had a standard room. We booked way ahead with an non-refundable reservation. I checked the rates periodically and they never went down from our rate. The second night was more because we booked it at a later time after the rates went up a few euro. Were the twins put together for you? Most king beds in Europe are actually twin beds, but it would be dtrange if they didn't put the beds together under one wrap.

Priceless! True!

We love Rome too.:)

And Paris was 3 times the money needed. :eek:

Not sure when you are going but you might want to look at an apartment. Ive booked one for Nov 1st 3 night post cruise and its 100 Euro per night in the Campo Di Fiori area. Look at VRBO #221275 to see the apt. It looks awesome and gets great reviews and the location couldnt be better. Larry

Very good point. If the OP is staying 3 or more nights, an apartment is the way to go...especially if sharing. Four of us (2 couples) shared a 3 bedroom apartment in Paris for less than 2 rooms in a 3* hotel. We had to book for 4 nights, but actually left the evening of the last night and still came out ahead. Prime location, too!

OP - You can try some of the Convents, or Hostels. Good luck. ;)

search hotels in rome on Tripadvisor. Good luck. The room Flames 9 speaks of is going to run $200 a night. We stayed in Hotel Mozart which was comparably priced.

We don't tire of Rome. Enjoy your time there.

We have the Hotel Mozart booked in November before we get on a cruise. How did you like the hotel and it's location? We also have the Albergo Cesari near the Pantheon booked and will decide soon which to keep.

Last year we stayed at hotel Sant'Angelo. Highly recommended, it's less than 10 minutes walking away from the Vatican and from close by Piazza Cavour there's a lot of buses that pass by for all the important sites. The hotel was very clean and the 24 hours reception very helpful. we were there in July and it was $100. Their rooms even comes air conditioned something which you have to look at if you are in Rome in the middle of Summer, because most other hotels you have to pay extra for a/c. This is their website http://www.hotelsa.it

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed 6 nights there last year pre-cruise. ~$110 a night.

Located at Via Vitelleschi Giovanni 25. Steps from the Vatican.

Elevator/Walk up (it was weird - the elevators stopped at half floors for the private residences on one side of the building and you had to walk up/down a landing to get to the hotel rooms). The room was very, very basic. A little worn around the edges but very clean. No restaurant. Roof top garden with free wifi - a big plus - pleasantly spent a few hours out there with a bottle of wine or two - checking email and chatting with fellow patrons. A bit of a hike to the Ottaviano train station but a few blocks from busses. We took a bus from Termini to a stop at Castel Sant'Angelo that was four blocks from the hotel. A good number of very nice restaurants and cafes on Borgio Pio a block from the hotel.

Very, very centrally located especially if you are concentrating on the Vatican/Popolo area - which we were.

We spent very little time in our room - just to shower and sleep. A great little budget property. Would recommend it. It served our purposes.

Next year we are looking for a budget property near Termini since we are only doing two nights pre-cruise.

Archived