Please compare HAL and Princess

PunkiC

LindaM, yes I know I will be missing out on the free internet. :( We are, however, now retired and won't need anywhere near as much as we did when we worked.

We had previously booked a 15-day Princess Panama Canal cruise in a balcony for $2099 pp and then I found a HAL 15-day cruise for $1,099 pp in a verandah. So we ended up with a much nicer cabin at slightly more than half the cost. Of course we will be missing out on the free internet, military credit, and FCC, but even paying for laundry and internet, we will still end up over $1,000 ahead of the game. This is before factoring in the fact that we can bring as much wine on board as we would like for free.

We will really have to stock up in Italy, Spain and Portugal before we head across the Atlantic. :) The last time were were in Spain, I can remember getting some amazing wine for like $2.99 a bottle. Maybe we will be able to do that this time as well.

The things one would normally press (no, not your undies :rolleyes:) do come back from the laundry pressed. That's true whether you send them priced per piece, by the bag, or unlimited.

Same here - khakis, jeans, cotton shirts, even a dress shirt for formal night - came back "pressed" and hung up - even my nitegown, which I never "press"!

Keep this thread going please -

we are considering jumping ship to either the Ruby or Pacific vs. Ryndam for eastern Med in the fall and are afraid we won't like Princess. Realize that Ruby is a different product due to 3,000 pax and that Pacific would be like Prinsendam, but what are the other differences? Have never been with 3,000 before - long lines to get off and on at ports?

LindaM, yes I know I will be missing out on the free internet. :( We are, however, now retired and won't need anywhere near as much as we did when we worked.

We had previously booked a 15-day Princess Panama Canal cruise in a balcony for $2099 pp and then I found a HAL 15-day cruise for $1,099 pp in a verandah. So we ended up with a much nicer cabin at slightly more than half the cost. Of course we will be missing out on the free internet, military credit, and FCC, but even paying for laundry and internet, we will still end up over $1,000 ahead of the game. This is before factoring in the fact that we can bring as much wine on board as we would like for free.

We will really have to stock up in Italy, Spain and Portugal before we head across the Atlantic. :) The last time were were in Spain, I can remember getting some amazing wine for like $2.99 a bottle. Maybe we will be able to do that this time as well.

That's awesome! We love the Noordam - cruised on her the Eastern Med in 2008.

I would also use your savings to plus your trip with multiple nights dining in the Pinnacle Grill. At $25pp, it's a bargain compared to other cruise lines. Since you are wine lovers, consider paying the corkage fee and have fabulous dinners to pair with the special wines you bring on board.

Keep this thread going please - we are considering jumping ship to either the Ruby or Pacific vs. Ryndam for eastern Med in the fall and are afraid we won't like Princess. Realize that Ruby is a different product due to 3,000 pax and that Pacific would be like Prinsendam, but what are the other differences? Have never been with 3,000 before - long lines to get off and on at ports?

We've been on the Emerald twice and would sail her again in a heartbeat. Haven't noticed long lines to get off at ports; usually, they have both forward and midship doors open upon arrival, which cuts down on the waiting. If there's a big line at one, there's probably a smaller line at the other.

Although it's a big ship, we never felt crowded but for a couple of times in the Lido when everyone was returning from shore excursions. And if you take the stairs like I do, you'll keep those pounds off--there's something like 17 decks! :)

Same here - khakis, jeans, cotton shirts, even a dress shirt for formal night - came back "pressed" and hung up - even my nitegown, which I never "press"!

we are considering jumping ship to either the Ruby or Pacific vs. Ryndam for eastern Med in the fall and are afraid we won't like Princess. Realize that Ruby is a different product due to 3,000 pax and that Pacific would be like Prinsendam, but what are the other differences? Have never been with 3,000 before - long lines to get off and on at ports?

My panties come back pressed lol....

When I consider Princess, I first consider HAL, I ask myself what would deter me from Princess....

Then I tell myself when picking Princess, it must be a suite, because what I love about HAL, comes included for almost everyone in OV (obstructed and above)... Meaning on HAL I could get a low end cabin and be very very happy... I would not be happy on princess in a low end cabin...

Now for you it might be different. It depends on what is important to you.

To me for a nice/celebration/romantic cruise:

1. A tub

2. Sofa

3. Hot room service from MDR for breakfast & lunch.

4. Cabanas

5. Pan Asian is a must...

To me for a cheap/short/fun cruise:

Anything goes. I loved my little cabin with bunk beds on Carnival, twice in May/June... I am dying to go back, like right now. I would book any cabin on any ship, is dates and price was right for THIS type of cruise.

So I guess it depends on what type of cruise you are looking for, what your intentions are as well as what is important to you. For me it depends on what the cruise is to me...

I heard the Ruby is great.

We have had a great time on every cruise we have every taken--even our one-night "shake your booty" cruise on NCL. We took NCL from Seattle to Vancouver, got off, switched over to HAL and came back from Vancouver to Seattle the next day. It was cheap and fun and gave us the opportunity to test out two different lines.

We played and danced and laughed with all of the drunk ladies on NCL and had a good time, but the food and ambiance just really weren't our cup of tea, so we won't be going back.

We did, however, love HAL. Our HAL cruise was the first day of a 34 day cruise to Australia and we met these really wonderful two couples who had unpacked all of their clothing from their roll-aboards and filled them with towels to take them out wine shopping in Seattle to cover themselves for their Pacific crossing. I was so jealous and sad that we had to get off in Seattle because they really were a lot of fun. ;)

pv girl, we have never noticed any long lines on Princess except once when boarding in Southampton. Lines don't really bother us as we always strike up conversations with the folks ahead of and behind us and make some new friends even before we board. And, don't worry about Princess. It is a good line and, if all else fails, you can just gorge yourself on their amazing pizza. :p Oh I do love Princess pizza.

Oysterdam, we will definitely try to stock up on enough good wine to take into the dining room every night if we can. We don't have a lot of ports before we head back across the Atlantic. ;)

I spent 19 days on the Ruby on a TA from Venice last Fall, and had a wonderful cruise. But then, I have been a Princess only cruiser since beginning cruising in 2004 .... 17 so far, and 2 more booked for later this year. I love the relaxed, but elegant, ambiance on all 13 Princess ships I have cruised on, as well as the great, friendly service, the outstanding pizza (!) and other very good foods, ..... I could go on and on, but I think you get my drift. I am an admitted Princess cheerleader.

That being said, I am being adventurous and crusing on the Noordam next Spring, FLL to Rome. Once I get home from that cruise, I will be able compare it with my Princess experiences, and decide which line I want my next one to be with. Who knows! I could have an epiphany and decide in favor of HAL, if it's as great to ME as HAL fans say it is. LOL

A couple of last questions about laundry ..... is the per day charge for laundry per passenger or per cabin? I cruise with a non-family member, so if it is per cabin, is the per day charge split between our shipboard accounts?

You can bring wine on HAL, also. Actually, we've even brought beer on in Norway!! HAL is offering some great deals. Actually, it's our cruiseline of choice---Prinsendam in particular. We too like to stock up on wine. Bring some bubble wrap!!

RuthC...Thanks for the information about sending out laundry "by the bag." I've always just done the $7/day package deal, but nice to know that they DO iron some things in the "by the bag" deal. On Oceania they don't. I'll soon be 4* and can't wait, as I've had free laundry on Princess for several years and love it. I think the package deal on HAL is a really good deal, though, and will use it next month on my VOV 35-day cruise. Somewhere I read that after 30 days they stop the daily charge, which sounds nice of them. I have to agree with the woman who says she apologizes to her clothes that they won't be treated as well once she gets home!

RuthC...Thanks for the information about sending out laundry "by the bag." I've always just done the $7/day package deal, but nice to know that they DO iron some things in the "by the bag" deal. On Oceania they don't. I'll soon be 4* and can't wait, as I've had free laundry on Princess for several years and love it.

Oh, you're welcome!

I never sent out laundry on HAL, preferring to do it myself, until I reached 4* status. At that point I said "What the heck! Let's try it!".

I do send only those things I wear daytime, and would never dream of sending evening wear, but I have been pleased with everything so far. Undies come back neatly folded and beautifully presented; daytime dresses come back pressed on hangers.

It's so nice, especially on hot weather itineraries, to come in from the day, toss what I'm wearing in the bag, and send it out. I don't care that the bag isn't filled, and sometimes I have to wonder if the fact that there are so few things gets the laundry back faster. :confused: After all, it can be tucked in to an otherwise full washing machine.

Thank you for the information re: Oceania. I have figured I would do my own laundry when I sail the Riviera, but this is good information just in case I change my mind.

I'm a lot like Ruth. I was apprehensive about sending my clothes to HAL's laundry, but they did a beautiful job. I was on a 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise that was hotter than Hades, and I was going thru clothes (more specifically, undies) like crazy. Mid-week they offered a laundry special so I gave it a try.

I'm glad I tried it, because when I book a cruise longer than 7 days in the future, I can really cut back on the packing knowing I can have laundry done.

Roz

I wash all of my lingerie by hand at home and just automatically do so on the ship.

I never wear anything but Chicos Travelers pants and tanks with various colorul tops during the day and they are so easy to wash out by hand that that is what I do. Most of the time I wear the same pants for evening with a fancier top. I wear Vanity Fair nylon pajamas when I travel and also wash them by hand. If I put them out on the deck, they will be dry in ten minutes. The same goes for what I call my Aruba sundresses--they can be hand washed and are dry in just minutes in the sun. I can travel for a good long time with just one roll-aboard. The shoes, especially dance shoes, are my biggest problem.

Hubby sends his underwear to the laundry and we appreciate having to pack only five sets, no matter how long our trip. He also sends out his polo shirts, jeans, shorts, and, of course, his tux shirt.

We will have to look at the size of the $20 bag and the laundry prices before we decide which way we want to go.

I think the "lines" issue depends on what you are comparing.

If you're comparing a ship like the Westerdam or Noordam against Ruby, the lines aren't noticeably longer for the most part.

But if you're comparing Prinsendam against Ruby....well, there is going to be a big difference.

I haven't been on any of HAL's "intermediate" size ships so I can't compare there.

I have gotten so used to the ease of being on smaller ships for the past few years that I find it hard to go back to the larger ones, although I will have to deal with it -- as we are going to be on the new and VERY large Royal Princess over New Years.....at my son's request. ;)

Is this because the Princess ships are larger and thus can afford more entertainment, or would you say that Princess has better entertainment for comparable sized ships?
Princess has more entertainment options and more activities for comparable sized ships. HAL has cut back quite a bit over the past couple of years. We noticed a big reduction in the cruise director's staff from when we sailed on the Westerdam in 2009 to when we sailed on it again last year. The Island Princess, which we sailed on in 2010, is comparable size.

Archived