Okay so just where do all you people eat at.!?

My father once told me that I either had marina sauce or BBQ sauce instead of blood, because I can cook Italian, and I can cook the Q, my DH can grill a steak better than any one I know, and a whole lot less expensivley than going to Ruth Criss I like the veggies at Ruth's, but I can't bake. Baking is not tweaking, its all about following the exact measurement and I just can't do it. No patience, and I always want to add things:rolleyes:, so cruising for me is all abut the soups and the desserts. Trying new things. I work three jobs, (one full time, two part times) I am gone now about 12-16 hours a day, so DH has taken up the cooking, and now he is having health issues-here's the good part we live near a co9llege-colleges are great for having students from all over the world, so we stop for Vietnamese, or Korean, or Greek, it's inexpensive, it's good, I get to try all sorts of new foods-kind of ike cruising .:D

Ducklite - where did you dine when you had Joseph Keller as chef? I got to have a charity dinner a few years where he was the "celebrity chef". Turned out he was friends with a local chef here that was hosting the dinner. It was the first time I had bone marrow - oh my!!!

Oh, I wasn't talking about Joseph but rather Thomas and Hubert.

I've dined at the French Laundry, Bouchon, Per Se, and Fleur. I'll be eating at Fleur De Lys next month. Yes, I know it lost it's star, but I've wanted to try it and my dining companion loves the place.

Boston is not quite $350 unless ordering a very pricey wine or many cocktails. It isn't as though that is the finest restaurant in town..... that is the price for most of the 'good to very good' restaurants. Yes, you can eat for less but not at the places most of us like to try. :) A moderate priced wine and it's about $275 including tip.

Even the pricier places in Boston generally cap out at about $125 pp including tax, tip, three courses, and a cocktail or glass of wine. I think L’Espalier is about the most expensive, and that one can be enjoyed by two for about $300 for the three course Prix Fixe meal and a couple glasses of wine.

We took our friends to Toscano a few weeks ago.

Two of our party had two drinks each, two had Perrier. We had one bottle of wine at about $90. Four appetizers, four entrees, two a la carte side dishes we all shared, three desserts and coffee for all.

With taxes and tip, the tab was about $600.... we also paid valet parking as there is no parking anywhere walkable on Charles St.

Oh, I wasn't talking about Joseph but rather Thomas and Hubert.

I've dined at the French Laundry, Bouchon, Per Se, and Fleur. I'll be eating at Fleur De Lys next month. Yes, I know it lost it's star, but I've wanted to try it and my dining companion loves the place.

When you said "the Kellers", I went straight to Thomas and Joseph, since they are brothers :). Didn't think of Hubert. Been to Bouchon and Fleur. Been to Hubert's burger place in Vegas, too, if that counts ;)

I agree with the OP. We dine out about once a week at places like Outback, Olive Garden, Chilis, etc. We usually eat in the main dining room for dinner, although we also hit the buffet and a specialty restaurant now and then. We have been very satisfied with the food on NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Princess. I think this is one of those things where both personal preferences and expectations vary a lot.

I read an article on McDonalds a few years ago. The key was the guy who said, "We're not out to make the best hamburger you've ever had. We're out to make the same hamburger you've always had."

Chain restaurants also do well on people's expectations. I read of a couple that drove to a new area to visit fiends who had just moved. On their return trip they felt hungry, but drive past all manner of local eateries (Parking lots both full or empty) until they found a Burger King. They didn't want to be disappointed with their meal.

So in the great scheme of things chain restaurants are satisfying other needs than the quality of food. They are everywhere you go, charge little, and are open long hours. Franchisers of these chains love the predictable profits.

And if you go to Olive Garden, Chilis, Applebees, or a similar restaurant and you're happy, then all the Cruise Company needs to do is offer you something similar or slightly better to make you impressed. The most expensive meal I ever had was two to three times as much as the chains, and I'm sorry, but it was only slightly better.

I'm not generally impressed with chain restaurants, but that's my choice, and I can see how some people like them. My wife is a good cook and she makes tastier meals. So good luck to all of you who cook.

And maybe there will be a few chains that try to do things better in the years to come, and push up the quality of cruise food.

We are foodies and really good home cooks too.

Pretty much never eat at the chain restaurants mentioned so can't comment on those. When we travel land-based vacations, we use our time shares and combine those with Air B&B rentals so we almost always have a kitchen. We are the only people I know of that travel with seasonings (herb blends for low salt yumminess) and a nonstick fry pan. It's fun to hit local shops and fish markets, specialty cheese shops and the like. Saves money and healthier too.

Not on cruises, of course! We enjoy the main dining room and also the buffet sometimes. Most specialty restaurants have disappointed us with the glorious exception of the Chef's Table . . . And we won't do that again because it was just too much food.

When you said "the Kellers", I went straight to Thomas and Joseph, since they are brothers :). Didn't think of Hubert. Been to Bouchon and Fleur. Been to Hubert's burger place in Vegas, too, if that counts ;)

I've got a friend who swears it's the best burger he's ever had--and he's a burger guy and has had a lot of them. Not anything that will every warrant a star, but Norman Rose in Napa has great burgers and truffled fries at a very reasonable cost if you are looking for a good gastropub in that area. I'm not a big burger person, but I do love theirs.

My last NCL cruise was the Star 10 years ago in Hawaii. We ate in the regular (free) MDR every night. Food was comparable to Carnival and RCI. Same for the buffet. But, as I said, that was 10 years ago. One of the highlights for me was the poolside BBQ at lunch. I had some excellent ribs.

I think NCL gets a bad rap from a lot of folks regarding dining is not so much the food that served, but, but the service (or lack of it) in the MDR and what's NOT available to order in the MDR. I don't think it's the staff's fault, though when it comes to service. On our recent NCL cruise we thought the MDR was way, way understaffed. One server taking care of multiple tables, and when you don't have the same table staff every evening, they don't know you'd like iced tea with lemon, where as on other lines, it's there waiting for you if you do traditional seating. They know you like ceasar salad WITH anchovies, decaf espresso after dinner, etc etc. We had no complaints about what we were served, but like I said, the service was lacking. Things like orders incorrect and the table not all being served at the same time. Also, in the MDR there some things NEVER on the menu that a lot of folks come to expect on a cruise, like shrimp cocktail....readily available in a surcharge restaurant, but not in the MDR.

Cruiseman great thread there are many things that come into play like region ,what you grew up eating , and how are you at trying something new. Where I live there are many very good small Italian and local pizza (and great sandwich shops) so when it comes to Italian food or pizza a chain better be very good or it won't make it . That is why on the east coast many chains have fewer units than say Florida or the Midwest .On the other hand I love Mexican but there are not a lot of good family owned places in my area mostly chains so I think someone from Cal. or Texas might have more knowledge and better taste than I would.I am not knocking Flordia but most places to eat there are pretty weak by northeast tastes. But when I am in Florida I always get ''biscuits and gravey '' up here it is unknown (were missing out). That is why it is so hard to please everyone on a ship so many people from so many parts of the world for the most part (N.C.L. incl.) they do a pretty good job.

As I get older, I've learned to appreciate and explore the many food options available. BUT...I refuse to eat at a chain restaurant, especially if on vacation. For example, when we go to Fort Lauderdale, I'll find out where the local places to go. On a cruise, I avoid the chains on the ships such as Johnny Rockets.

So I just when through and read all 23 pages of the post "Whats the worst cruise line you have sailed on"

Very many of the postings deal with "NCL" and "The Food".

Just a little back round I have only sailed on Carnival and NCL.

My wife and I enjoy very much to dine out at least twice a week and eat at mainstream restaurants such as Chiles, Red Robin, Olive Garden, etc. I think that the food on NCL is very comparable to those restaurants.

So my question is do you posters that dislike the food on NCL or any other cruise ship only eat at 5 star restaurants. Is it a regional thing as there are many deferent styles and food taste.

Regarding the bit that I highlighted in red: I used to enjoy restaurants like Chili's, Olive Garden, or even TGI Friday's about 20 yrs ago when just about everything on their menus was cooked from scratch. Now, those establishments have turned to mostly frozen, reheated foods that are about the same quality as a frozen microwave dinner from the supermarket. I cruise mostly on Carnival. Though I realize they probably cook most things from scratch, it is my belief that they are buying inferior quality goods compared to what they've purchased in the past. Thus, rendering much of their food (especially on the Lido buffet, but also in the main dining room) to taste like Chili's or Friday's or your average frozen microwave dinner.

As to your second point, I do not frequent or even occasionally dine at 5-star restaurants. But, I do prepare all of my meals at home from scratch using fresh, high-quality produce, whole grains, good quality cheeses and meats, etc. I also work at a restaurant (which is not 5-star) that prepares all menu items from scratch with fresh, high quality ingredients. So, I suppose that these factors make me more critical of the food on mainstream lines.

So, in summary, I am a budget traveler, and I do not expect the food on board (in the no-fee venues) to come close to what I prepare at home. Nevertheless, I would still like to enjoy it. Sadly, that has not been the case on my last few voyages. Of course, not everything was bad. But, enough was so unappealing that we have not booked Carnival this year. It's a shame, Carnival's food was pretty good just a few years ago. Though, I am happy with most other aspects of Carnival, their food has hit an all-time low such that, this year, we are trying Princess after a long hiatus. I realize, also, that most lines have had cutbacks. But, Princess will be a new experience for me, and a reacquainting (after a decade) for my travel companions.

JMHO.

Cruiseman great thread there are many things that come into play like region ,what you grew up eating , and how are you at trying something new. Where I live there are many very good small Italian and local pizza (and great sandwich shops) so when it comes to Italian food or pizza a chain better be very good or it won't make it . That is why on the east coast many chains have fewer units than say Florida or the Midwest .On the other hand I love Mexican but there are not a lot of good family owned places in my area mostly chains so I think someone from Cal. or Texas might have more knowledge and better taste than I would.I am not knocking Flordia but most places to eat there are pretty weak by northeast tastes. But when I am in Florida I always get ''biscuits and gravey '' up here it is unknown (were missing out). That is why it is so hard to please everyone on a ship so many people from so many parts of the world for the most part (N.C.L. incl.) they do a pretty good job.

Regarding the highlighted part: Amen, amen, amen! I grew up in southern NJ, but now live in south Florida. Yeah, I cruise a lot since I live close to a two ports, but I miss really good Italian food, sandwiches, good Italian bread (no such thing in Florida), and pizza.

I hate to tell you this, but FLorida is on the East Coast.

By the way, there are incredible places to eat in Florida. We just don't tell the tourists about them so they don't turn into another place crammed with people from the Northeast who vacation in Florida every year and then do nothing but complain about it. :rolleyes:

By the way, there are incredible places to eat in Florida. We just don't tell the tourists about them so they don't turn into another place crammed with people from the Northeast who vacation in Florida every year and then do nothing but complain about it. :rolleyes:

We're from Boston...... home of fabulous Italian food and some friends from FLL brought us to two different Italian restaurants that are outstanding. One is in FLL and one in Miami.

I agree..... there is some wonderful food available in Florida. Yes, we've had 'tourist' food but we've also had excellent dinners as well.

We're from Boston...... home of fabulous Italian food and some friends from FLL brought us to two different Italian restaurants that are outstanding. One is in FLL and one in Miami.

I agree..... there is some wonderful food available in Florida. Yes, we've had 'tourist' food but we've also had excellent dinners as well.

What is the name of the restaurant in Fort Lauderdale that they took you to?

I'm Florida born and raised, and I have to say I agree with him. At least in the counties I've lived in and around (Brevard, St. Lucie, and Martin). When I'm on business trips, I pull up Urbanspoon, pick a 90% like restaurant, and am seldom disappointed. I had the pleasure of traveling to Charlotte last year and was just blown away by the excellent options.

I blame a bunch of old people, with shot taste buds and a desire for safe, bland food sprinkled with a bit of xenophobia. Certainly that's the case here, where an Olive Garden or Bob Evans will thrive while a hardworking and talented chef's dreams crash and burn.

My one bright spot around here is a little place called 11 Maple Street in Jensen Beach. I find it to be quite creative as well as delicious. While I'm sure it's not the best restaurant in the country by a long shot, I'm quite impressed with it and find it to actually be a good value at ~$75/pp sans alcohol.

I have always enjoyed the food on all my cruises. Actually, in my opinion, NCL has the best food! At home I enjoy 5 star restaurants, but I only go to those 1-2 times per year for a special occasion. I enjoy eating at the type of restaurants the OP mentioned.

I have always enjoyed the food on all my cruises. Actually, in my opinion, NCL has the best food! At home I enjoy 5 star restaurants, but I only go to those 1-2 times per year for a special occasion. I enjoy eating at the type of restaurants the OP mentioned.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying a casual meal at places like Olive Garden, Cheesecake Factory, etc. Full disclosure: sometimes I dive into the CF at the one shopping mall I visit, but I get the seared ahi tuna salad, lunch size and I do like it. CF has some decent entree-size salads. But, they are casual meals. When people go on a cruise, we should expect something better than that. Like putting lipstick on a pig (I LOVE that phrase!), taking Olive Garden-quality food, putting it on china, and serving it in a white-tablecloth dining room with jacketed waiters does not make it "5 star" food. It's still Olive Garden... There for me, there are several parts to a dining experience: the setting, the service, the food, how I personally am treated. The setting and service are the two lowest things on my list. Excellent food served in a shack will always be better to me than mass-produced banquet food served in a cruise ship MDR with waiters.

I did find one of the previous poster's comment about xenophobic dining interesting and relevant. I don't understand why some people will wait 2 hours for their buzzer to go off to eat at a CF or a Jimmy Buffet's or Hard Rock Cafe somewhere on vacation when they can easily find some local gems with good food specific to the location. The one thing HRC is good for is free WiFi (found that out in Cairo ;)) Urbanspoon is a good resource, as is Yelp (Katie Parla in Rome for Rome-specific) for the non-corporate chain experience.

But, that's just me...

The last time I was in FLL, I had dinner in a small-ish place in Wilton Manor. It was a seafood restaurant, and apparently it had been there at least since the last ice age. I found it to be very comfortable and the food to be quite good. Of course I can't remember the name of the place.

I just looked it up, it's the Old Florida Seafood House.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me first say that the room you book will have no effect on the food. No one knows if you are in a suite or an inside room. I've been on a number of Princess cruises and found the food in all venues to be very good. I've also paid the additional money and found the speciality venues to be well worth the additional cost. Our next cruise is with Oceania which is know for their food so I fully expect to be "blown away".

Archived