Delta airlines pary line versus reality

Fairfield Nana

I've had one issue with Delta and I've flown with them for several years. The issue was a missed connection in ATL--not my fault as the 1st leg was late departing due to an equipment issue. My problem wasn't so much as missing my connecting flight which was still at the gate but closed to further boarding, but the plethora of incorrect and bad information I was getting from the "help line". (i.e., go back to the gate--the gate was closed and the staff gone--I should go back and do what???) Anyhow, I finally located a real person in terminal who assisted me in getting waitlisted on several flights.

I sent Delta a polite email saying that as a frequent flier and a fan of Delta, I was so disappointed in how my problem was addressed and had I not been a savvy traveler, I wouldn't have known what to do. Imagine my surprise when I received an answer and apology the very next day--along with the promise of addressing the training shortcomings of the phone staff. Oh, they also gave me 5000 Frequent Flier Miles for my problem.

Flying is crowded more than ever and customer service in most areas has suffered with the "do more with less" mentality our society seems to have adopted. Frankly, there isn't enough money to entice me into being a flight attendant or gate agent. These poor people have to smile thru all that comes with dealing with the public.

Over the years on this board there have been a variety of posts warning against EVER flying (fill in the blank with every major US airline) because they (fill in the blank -- lost my luggage, caused me to miss my cruise, have rude FA's, and on and on and on).

Even as a top tier flyer on Delta (diamond), I'm not going to minimize your bad experience or defend poor customer service. But the more you fly, the better overall picture you get. And it just is what it is. The grass is NOT greener on any other US airline (except maybe AS, but they don't fit my flying patterns).

Flight delays? Yup. Been there many times. If the delay is mechanical, I'm happy to wait on the ground rather than fly on an unsafe bird. If the delay is weather, that's beyond the control of the airline. I'd rather have the pilot decide that the storm cells are too widespread and dangerous if that protects the safety of the aircraft. If the delay is because the pilot overslept, I'm just as PO'ed as everyone else. Welcome to flying.

Consistently late? Not really. Part of gate agent's job is getting that door closed on time. Mostly, they do it well. The 45 minutes or so before departure can be very hectic -- people want to change seats, bring oversized and too many bags aboard, need extra time to board, and maybe some tired and frustrated passengers start giving the GA a hard time demanding answers the GA doesn't have. Even after the boarding door is closed, bags can still be loading or the catering can be late -- and/or there can be a ground stop. Welcome to flying.

Overbooked? Absolutely. Every airline routinely overbooks every flight they can. There are double secret algorithms to predict the number of no-shows so that the flight goes out with no empty seats. And yes, the last passengers to board are annoyed that the bins are full. If too many passengers show up, the GA will ask for volunteers to take a later flight (I've got $900 in vouchers in my Delta "wallet" for volunteering). Rarely when there aren't enough volunteers, someone will get IDB'ed (involuntarily denied boarding). Welcome to flying.

In flight service? On a flight to Dublin (from either JFK or ATL, I presume), you should get a hot meal, two or three beverage services, extra water, and some sort of snack just before landing. The food isn't great (I bring my own unless in business). Did you not get even this? That would be annoying and worth a whine. Welcome to flying.

Focus on $$ and making a profit over improving customer experience? Sadly, yes. Even Delta's best customers are not feeling the love. From "first class monetization" (meaning fewer upgrades); making "same day change" more difficult; pathetic award seat availability; adding MQD (medallion qualifying dollars) as a requirement for status levels; lowing the quality of the branded liquor in the Sky Clubs; higher fares as airlines merge and consolidate resulting in the creation of an oligopoly; and who knows what else. Welcome to flying.

FWIW, there is an interesting show (Airport 24/7:Miami) running on Tuesday nights on the Travel Channel. It's an inside look at what it takes to move thousands of people and bags every day into and out of a major airport. Amazing that the whole system works as well as it does.

I need a biscoff. Welcome to flying.

Good comments. Let's see: "first class monetization", SDC, MQD, Gordon's in the Sky Club, Biscoff: FlyerTalk, right???;)

From a former Plat, now a lowly "knowledgeable Kettle."

Good comments. Let's see: "first class monetization", SDC, MQD, Gordon's in the Sky Club, Biscoff: FlyerTalk, right???;)

From a former Plat, now a lowly "knowledgeable Kettle."

Flyertalk? Absolutely. Most changes (aka "enhancements" ) to DL policies are revealed on FT before any official corporate announcement. FT is a great resource for even occasional flyers -- and an indispensable resource for

those of us who spend a significant amount of time and $$ in airports and airplanes.

For a look at some knowledgeable Kettles, try this YouTube clip:

(I think they have a future in yield management)

A great Abbott and Costello routine. :)

Certainly the OPs experience sound like mine (except on United) :)

Unfortunately, the OP never came back to answer some questions for us.

I can only say a little about the curious comment about her seat issues. I don't understand what she meant. With mainstream airlines, you have to be proactive. The airlines only guarantee they will get you from point A to point B. Actually getting the seat you requested when you booked is NOT a guarantee. The type of plane may change, and the airline's computer system will reseat everyone, not necessarily together. You have to constantly monitor your reservations to see what is happening with it. If something changes, get on the horn to the airline and see if you can get it back to what you originally had. You can't book your flight 330 days out, sit back, and then arrive at the airport for the flight based on what you booked and expect it to be exactly the same. It's just the way it is nowadays.

I've never had my seat changed on me on Delta, except for those few changes of aircraft. But, I watch enough to be able to call right away (or get on line) and change it back or find something equally as good. Now, with American, I did have one time where they changed my seat within a week before my flight and I had no chance to change it (literally no internet or phone where I was). Told "tough cookies" by the GA checking people in. When I got on the plane, lo and behold, my original seat was NOT occupied. I took it. Air France likes to play games with my seats, I just play right back. Air France seems to enjoy playing seat games with Delta people...

I fly Delta 90% of the time as we are a Delta hub and if I want non-stop flights Delta is my best choice. I have had a flight delayed in FLL and was completely ticked when it turned into a 6 hour delay. The bad part was they lied the whole time. Either that or they had the worst communication skills possible. We heard numerous tales during that period, most I had to go and ask to find out. Had I been told the truth up front I would have been disappointed but I wouldn't have needed to be stressed out the whole time wondering if we were ever going to get out that day.

Outside of that one experience I don't remember anything that I would say was poor service. Things are going to happen. Doesn't mean someone else hasn't had a terrible experience but it's not all bad.

Now if someone knows why the flights to FLL are so expensive right now I would appreciate an answer to that. I usually pay $280-$325 pp but they have been sticking at $445 and were higher than that. There are less than 20 seats purchased on the flight so I guess I'm not the only one thinking that price is way out of line.

Happy flying everyone :)

Now if someone knows why the flights to FLL are so expensive right now I would appreciate an answer to that. I usually pay $280-$325 pp but they have been sticking at $445 and were higher than that. There are less than 20 seats purchased on the flight so I guess I'm not the only one thinking that price is way out of line.

Happy flying everyone :)

How do you know the number of seats sold? The seating chart on an airline's website can't be used for that purpose. That said, if you have a subscription tool such as KVS then you can tell. Just wondering...

If you're flying to or from FLL on cruise day, there are thousands of passengers vying for limited capacity. Supply and demand at work, setting commodity pricing. Why should the airline cannibalize their revenue and drop their fares? Assuming the 20 seat comment is accurate, the airline was able to sell them at that price. Why is it "out of line", or what price would you consider not out of line? Again, just wondering.

There's always consumer power to fly another airline or not fly at all if you are ethically opposed to paying their prices. Not slamming you or apologizing for the airlines.

I fly a great deal. Every flight I've been on since June 1, 2013 has been completely sold out with some folks holding lap children.

With airlines charging most people for checked bags, people are bringing on way too much stuff.

As a result on every flight there was forced gate checking of carry on luggage that had no place to fit in for the flights.

The full flights and the excessive heat at western airports has made flying a very difficult thing to do.

that's just the way it is folks.

To all- The "OP"--whatever that measn-- is back!

I agree with most all the comments/replies to my recent rant about Delta. I have flown hundreds of thousands of miles with many airlines in my 45 years in the business world and for vacations, and am quite familiar with the ins/outs of air travel. My concern and the reason for my recent rant is that I was offended by the vry poor and obnoxious treatment my family received from a small handfull of Delta employees. Poor service is why we dumped United after 30 years of increasingly poor service. Had hoped for better from Delta and last few flights prior to our last booking were quite nice--then had this bad experience the other day.

I realize "stuff" happens and flights can be delayed. This does not and should not excuse extremely poor service and rude behavior on the part of gate personnel and some flight attendants, especially when two of our seven travellers were my 7 year old grandsons.

I share most expressed concerns that such poor service is becoming more the norm than the exception--just not sure what can be done about it. Hate to bother our esteemed congressmen about it--they are dysfunctional enough! Just makes you appreciate good service all the more and to go out of your way to say "thanks"!!

To all- The "OP"--whatever that measn-- is back!

OP = Original Post (first post in a thread), or Original Poster, the person who began the thread. There are many "net lingo" and abbreviation websites...a Google search on strange abbreviations will provide the answer. I do that regularly. :)

I agree with most all the comments/replies to my recent rant about Delta. I have flown hundreds of thousands of miles with many airlines in my 45 years in the business world and for vacations, and am quite familiar with the ins/outs of air travel. My concern and the reason for my recent rant is that I was offended by the vry poor and obnoxious treatment my family received from a small handfull of Delta employees. Poor service is why we dumped United after 30 years of increasingly poor service. Had hoped for better from Delta and last few flights prior to our last booking were quite nice--then had this bad experience the other day.

I realize "stuff" happens and flights can be delayed. This does not and should not excuse extremely poor service and rude behavior on the part of gate personnel and some flight attendants, especially when two of our seven travellers were my 7 year old grandsons.

It sounds like you had a "perfect storm" of bad experiences converge in the same trip or flight. But 7 (or 37) year old grandkids are irrelevant. Rude is rude, regardless of age (unless the employee was actually yelling or swearing at a child).

I share most expressed concerns that such poor service is becoming more the norm than the exception--just not sure what can be done about it. Hate to bother our esteemed congressmen about it--they are dysfunctional enough! Just makes you appreciate good service all the more and to go out of your way to say "thanks"!!

For future reference, make note of employees who acted poorly as well as those who were exceptionally good. Email or write the airline in either case; contact info is in the customer service area of their websites (unless we're talking about Spirit Airlines) :eek: Provide as much info as possible...their name, the flight or gate number, date and time, etc. Resist the urge to provide a "he said/ she said" account of the events. Succinctly state what the problem was, who was involved, how it affected you, and what (if anything) you would like done about it. If they need more info they will ask. Both kudos and complaints go in the employee's file, hopefully to help identify the rising and falling stars that exist in every company.

FYI, a friend works for a company that does "reputation management" software. Major airlines, hotels, retailers, etc. are their clients. Their software collects info from online sources (no doubt including these forums). They alert client companies when a problem is detected and provide reports on a customer when a company requests it. There are also about 6-8 different "categories" of customers who complain and the software helps categorize the customer. Several categories get zero action...no matter what the company does, the customer will never be satisfied. So, if you are in a situation where you expect action or compensation, it's best to work with the airline first before "going viral" online with your grievance. Also, stating "I will never do business with you again" pretty much ends any further efforts from a company. I'm not saying you did either, just providing general education on how major companies handle customer complaints and online posts.

Lastly, what in the world would a congressperson have to do with this? I would hope they would stay totally hands-off a private company, even if the company is truly awful.

Kenish-- I was being facetious about congressmen--highly doubt they'd try do anything and most certainly would not be effective!

FYI to all others-- I am a happy camper (traveler)--this morning I received a very sincere two-page apology from Delta which I found both impressive and to the point. They also sent some major flight vouchers for future travel. Guess I will have to reconsider my plans for future travel with Delta, and send them a "thank you" note as well. I'm still bothered by the continuing occurences of poor customer service in many sectors, but will have to address each one as it pertains to me as they arise--including providing positive feedback where warranted. I try to do this via the reviews I've submitted under my "no de plume" with TripAdvisor--Fairfield 10.

Y'all have a nice day and remember to fly the friendly skys of Delta--or is that United?

Kenish-- I was being facetious about congressmen--highly doubt they'd try do anything and most certainly would not be effective!

FYI to all others-- I am a happy camper (traveler)--this morning I received a very sincere two-page apology from Delta which I found both impressive and to the point. They also sent some major flight vouchers for future travel. Guess I will have to reconsider my plans for future travel with Delta, and send them a "thank you" note as well. I'm still bothered by the continuing occurences of poor customer service in many sectors, but will have to address each one as it pertains to me as they arise--including providing positive feedback where warranted. I try to do this via the reviews I've submitted under my "no de plume" with TripAdvisor--Fairfield 10.

Y'all have a nice day and remember to fly the friendly skys of Delta--or is that United?

Could you share the seat issue with us? I'm just curious about it. There are ways to deal with seat issues that, if appropriate, some here can share...

Slidergirl-- The 6 of us missed our connecting flt from JFK-SFO as our flt from Dublin to JFk was 3 hour late. Gate crew waitlisted all 6 on standby leaving in 1 hour, with confirmed res. on much later flt. Just before flt departed, they offered us 2 seats, quickly followed by 4, then told all 6 to get on board. During this entire dialog--rude & very rushed--I kept telling them we would accept standby seats only if they could place one of the 4 adults with our two 7 year old grandsons. Never got a commitment to do this only "sure-no problem". Finally they shouted across the waiting area for me to "make up my mind-the plane is leaving", as I had gone back to ask family if they wanted to accept ths offer of 2 or 4 then all 6 seats.

We accepted and boarded only to find our seats were spread all over the plane with only one pair of seats, and 2 of the seats listed on the boarding passes they gave us at the gate were occupied. I took family and we exited the plane only to be confronted by the lead gate attendant who said "you are to get back on the plane-it's too late to get off as it is a security violation"> We re-boarded and the flight attendants moved the 2 out of the seats we had been assigned but told it that they were not allowed to ask anyone to change seats with one of our four adults to permit one of us to sit with the 2 boys--who by now were in tears. They said it we OK if we wanted to ask someone to move which my wife did. All of the surrounding occupants refused to move until finally one nice young lady moved away from her family giving my wife the adjoining seat with the boys. During this entire process, absolutely no assistance was provided by Delta employees--only comments to "please be seated so that we can push back from the terminal.

So much for our economy comfort bulk-head seats we had purchased a year ago. I don't blame Delta for flight delays and missed flights--i do blame them for the way we were treated/ignored. Have since forgiven them due to the very sincere and honest apology we received a few days later. Issue is closed, and I trust that Delta has provided some reminders/re-training in proper customer service to the particular flight crew and gate staff as claimed in their e-mail apology. Hope this info is of use to you.

WORD TO THE WISE!!-- Beware of Delta airlines!! I guess this may be the wave of the future for all US airlines, but their overall quality is in the toilet!-- FLIGHTS ARE CONSISTENLY LATE, OVERBOOKED, AND THEIR IN-PROCESS AND IN-FLIGHT SERVICE IS TERRIBLE!! My family is so upset over our recent three flights on Delta that I feel compelled to complain & wine as loud as possible in hopes that they get the message and improve.

Our recent flights to Dublin were late several hours, the check-in staff were consistenty lacking in providing timely and accurate info on reasons for delays or new projected schedul departure info, and generally disinterested in cusomer service. They did excel in rudeness ( such as--always our fault in not having proper seat reservations), and always seemed to have ample time to visit and BS with thier co-workers and ignore their customers!!

I realize that 'stuff happens" and that some delays are inevitable, but Delta seems have to made a standard of this poor service, and skillfully compounded the problem with thier lack of poor customer interface-- or is it really due to lack of management and grossly inadequate customer training in favor of bottom line customer numbers and fare $$ in and out the gates?

d

We fly Delta quite a bit and have not run into the problems that you encountered. Have also flown on United and find that Delta is perhaps a little better than United.

Although the gate and cabin crews could have responded better, some education from the other side of the coin may be helpful.

When you're accommodated onto a flight at the last minute, it's not the time to discuss the situation with your co-travelers, engage in "let's make a deal" with the gate agents, etc. Their goal is to close out the paperwork, shut the gate, and push back on time. Some airlines score their ground personnel on their ability to get planes out on time. The gate agent was extending themselves to get you onto the flight, since you already were re-confirmed on a later flight.

Once you decide to go for last-minute seats you're committed. In your situation, you were fortunate that you didn't end up losing your seats to other standby passengers who were more decisive. And, once you're on the plane you cannot get off...that's a huge security issue as the agent said...he or she probably panicked and blew a fuse when you did that.

A 777 at the gate that is ready for push-back costs the airline about $500 per *minute* . Also the air traffic control system assigns flights a time slot into the flow of traffic...if a flight isn't "wheels-up" during ATC window (called the "void time"), the flight has to obtain a new clearance and time slot. It usually results in a 10-20 minute delay but can be a few hours during peak periods.

So, from their perspective the ground and cabin crews "stretched" to try and get you home...and it sounds like you were thwarting their need to push back on time. I wasn't a fly on the wall and it sounds like they should have handled it better...but understand they were probably feeling a bit frustrated and frantic. Hope that helps....if you're ever in a situation where any available seat on the plane won't do, it's probably better to not take up the last-minute offer.

Thank you for clarifying the seat situation.

It was unfortunate that you missed your connection. Delta was trying to do the best they could for you by offering whatever seats were left on that flight. Delta is one of those airlines where the GA is punished when a flight is not disengaged from the jetway on time. The GA should not have told you it would be no probs to get your preferred seating arrangement - it was not going to happen. At that point, you could have said "no thanks" to the last second seats and gone to the phones to find a hotel (Delta would have no obligation whatsoever to pay for your hotel) and come back when they had a flight with seat options that met your personal needs.

It really isn't the job of the FA to ask people to move to accommodate people. They were correct in telling you it was up to you to do so. The flight was now in danger of going late, so it was absolutely necessary that they didn't use any more time trying to get people to move so your family could sit together as you wanted (I don't mean the whole family, but you adult-to-kid thing). And for the people refusing to move until the "nice" girl offered, it has nothing to do about mean or self-centered. As I said before, many of us who fly frequently have chosen our seats for a reason. To have us move so you can sit together means we are the ones uncomfortable for the flight. For your kids, by getting upset yourself and showing it physically, you got the kids ramped up, too, making them cry. If you had been calmer about it and told the kids you would try to get seated together once the seatbelt sign was off, it may have been a better situation for family, fellow passengers, and crew.

So, I will say that there was errors on both sides of the fence. For not getting your EC seats, I assume that DL refunded you the upsell price you paid. Honestly, that is all that DL is obligated to do. Anything else they did is gravy, so enjoy it.

After reading the ENTIRE story, I am astounded the inconsiderate PASSENGERES weren't just told wait for the much later flight they were actually booked on.

The OP posted- "I have flown hundreds of thousands of miles with many airlines in my 45 years in the business world and for vacations, and am quite familiar with the ins/outs of air travel." So what happened to all this knowledge? They had at least one hour between the time the Dublin flight arrived JFK and their standby flight left. They had to have KNOWN there was a very high probability that there were NOT 6 seats for standby (they REALLY lucked out on that one). And they should have decided THEN who was going to fly if there was one seat, two seats, etc. etc or if they were going to wait for the later flight with confirmed reservations. Running back and forth to try to get agreement between family members is just inexcusable.

The OP is complaining about the "rude" treatment they received from Delta employees. What about the "rude" treatment they were putting other passengers who were also possibly on standby through while they were making up their minds? It's all about ME, ME, ME and to heck with those in line behind this family hoping for a seat or delaying the plane so there is a possibility to miss a future connection.

I guarantee if it would have been me waiting for a standby flight and this inconsiderate group would have been in front of me trying to make up their minds, they would have had a lot more RUDE than what they think they got from the GA and FA who are PAID to be somewhat nice. Trying to get seats together on the plane and get others to move was just another inconsiderate act on their part. Lots of 7 year olds fly as unaccompanied minors on planes every year so letting the kids sit by themselves should have been no big deal. A lot of this huffing and puffing upset the kids. They probably would have been overjoyed just to be able to sit by themselves.

The OP states they got a nice letter from Delta. Hearing the "rest of the story" makes me think they caused a LOT of the problems themselves.

After reading the ENTIRE story, I am astounded the inconsiderate PASSENGERES weren't just told wait for the much later flight they were actually booked on.

The OP posted- "I have flown hundreds of thousands of miles with many airlines in my 45 years in the business world and for vacations, and am quite familiar with the ins/outs of air travel." So what happened to all this knowledge? They had at least one hour between the time the Dublin flight arrived JFK and their standby flight left. They had to have KNOWN there was a very high probability that there were NOT 6 seats for standby (they REALLY lucked out on that one). And they should have decided THEN who was going to fly if there was one seat, two seats, etc. etc or if they were going to wait for the later flight with confirmed reservations. Running back and forth to try to get agreement between family members is just inexcusable.

The OP is complaining about the "rude" treatment they received from Delta employees. What about the "rude" treatment they were putting other passengers who were also possibly on standby through while they were making up their minds? It's all about ME, ME, ME and to heck with those in line behind this family hoping for a seat or delaying the plane so there is a possibility to miss a future connection.

I guarantee if it would have been me waiting for a standby flight and this inconsiderate group would have been in front of me trying to make up their minds, they would have had a lot more RUDE than what they think they got from the GA and FA who are PAID to be somewhat nice. Trying to get seats together on the plane and get others to move was just another inconsiderate act on their part. Lots of 7 year olds fly as unaccompanied minors on planes every year so letting the kids sit by themselves should have been no big deal. A lot of this huffing and puffing upset the kids. They probably would have been overjoyed just to be able to sit by themselves.

The OP states they got a nice letter from Delta. Hearing the "rest of the story" makes me think they caused a LOT of the problems themselves.

I have been reading this thread with interest since it involves my carrier of choice: Delta. Years ago I was in my carefully chosen window seat on a 4 hour 767 flight. The male flight attendant asked me if I would mind moving so a family could sit together. I asked, "Where would I be sitting?" and he waved to "In the back." He was shocked that I said "no!"

The 10 year old child was seated next to me, and the parents gave her a baby to hold during the flite, probably as punishment to me for not giving up my seat! I rang the call button and asked "can she do that?" I knew it was not allowed. Flight attendant made the parent come and get the baby. Little girl did just fine alone during the flight. People feel so entitled!

As to OP, to think they could rearrange the seating to please them was arrogant. They should be grateful they were accommodated in the first place...flights are always full.

I have no disagreement with some comments from the 4 prior individuals. It would take a lot more for me to adequately describe what happened to my family on this flight to defend myself, but find that would be rude and self-serving. We were quite upset and surprised by the negative attitudes of a couple passengers who my wife requested to exchange her aisle seat located a few rows forward. But having read the negative and rude attacks from some of the preceding commentators, I can see that this behavior may be the new norm. Please don't feel compelled to provide additional counter-battery fire to my comments.

My random thoughts:

No way were the last seven people on the plane from standby going to get seated as desired. I only fly a couple of times a year and even I know that. The Delta employee was wrong to give you the impression that you weren't going to be spread all across the plane ("sure-no problem"). They should have just said if you want particular seats, you'll need to catch the later flight. It was good of Delta to respond as they did in their letter. I'm not sure you'd get a similar letter from other airlines.

Delaying push-back to play musical chairs will not win any friends among passengers or crew.

Answering "No" to a request to change seats is not being rude. Answering "Go take a flying leap" would be. Answering "Yes" would be out of the goodness of my heart.

"Fly the Surly Skies" pretty much describes commercial flying in 2013. The only way around that would be to charter a Gulfstream.

We were quite upset and surprised by the negative attitudes of a couple passengers who my wife requested to exchange her aisle seat located a few rows forward.

And why were you "quite upset and surprised" by the "negative attitudes" because NO ONE WANTED TO GIVE UP THEIR SEAT to a standby passenger who was disrupting an entire plane trying to rearrange seating so their family could sit together?? This is the pinnacle of arrogance.

As others have posted, you should have been darn happy you all got on the plane together. And if your flying experience is as much as you stated it is, I am sure you have seen people board standby at the last minute and take whatever seats were available so I can't even imagine you were surprised that there was a seat here and a seat there on a mostly full plane.

The two 7 year olds would have survived just fine sitting by themselves. In fact, they would have thought it was a great adventure and showed that Grandma and Grandpa had a lot of trust in them to allow them to sit together themselves.

I'm done. I am still astounded at the OP's complaints.

Archived