Smoking on Balconies

Blackrat

Hi,

I have just come back from a great two week cruise around the West Mediterranean on Ventura.

We had a balcony cabin on Lido deck at the front of the ship on port side. One thing that quickly became apparent was that we were next door to a smoker. Even before we left Southampton our neighbour was lighting up. I consolidated myself with the idea that as he was aft of our cabin once we got under way the poor neighbour aft of him would get all the smoke.

We weren't blessed with the best of weather next day, so not many opportunities to go out on the balcony but now I realised we had four or so smokers downwind of us. The problem was that being downwind seemed to make no difference and the smoke still came our way. Even when people weren't smoking the ashtrays would smell until the steward cleaned the rooms.

The next thing that became apparent was that the smokers were indeed smoking on their balconies but with their balcony doors open. This meant that in places the bedroom corridors of Lido deck stank of cigarettes. The airconditioning system in our room also smelled of cigarettes from time to time, this coincided with poor weather and it begs the question whether people were only partially outside on these days.

I feel very sorry for the next people who moved into that cabin, I can't believe for one moment the poor steward would be able to get rid of the smell in the few hours available.

These days smokers are in the minority and as such should not have so many areas available to them where the majority will be affected, for example the whole of the starboard promenade deck and I believe sun decks as well.

Of course smokers should have areas available to them but perhaps these should be rooms where no one else will be affected and specific cabins at the rear of the ship?

With strict regulations governing smoking in the UK it seems out of step that P&O have this policy, especially as the rest of the Carnival group don't allow smoking on balconies. In some ways P&O have made life difficult for themselves by having rules which are difficult to enforce and life would be easier for them by changing the rules.

I imagine this post will stir up a hornets nest among the smokers who read this but I think many will also be able to relate to some of the things I have mentioned, probably the silent majority. I intend to bring this matter up as a shareholder in the company and push for change and equality with other Carnival Group ships. I would be very interested in your opinions either by replying to this thread or by private message.

Cheers,

BR

Hi Blackrat,

I have always been very tolerant of smokers even though I do have a health problem which is affected by smoke. We never sit at the smocking side of a ship and rarely eat outside at any restaurants because of the chance of smoke.

On our last cruise we had a balcony and like you we had smokers around us. Unfortunately we were aft of them and our neighbour was certainly a chain smoker. As soon as I heard our neighbour light up I had to go inside for 10 minutes, but the smoke soon disappeared. I did notice the smell in the corridors and wondered if at night the balcony was not being used. I think the fine is quite hefty if the steward reports signs of smoking in the cabin.

I am not sure what the answer is as banning all smoking on balconies would surely stop people who smoked from booking. Making the aft cabins for smokers would upset pax who enjoy the aft cabins for the view of the wake.

Lets hope P & O can come up with a suitable solution but in the meantime I don't think we will pay a lot extra for a balcony cabin again.

Sue

I agree with you I personally think the balcony should be considered part of the room and the no smoking rule should apply, but how you could enforce this I don't know

We had the same problem with celebrity, they have a no smoking policy on the balcony but it did not stop our neighbour from lighting up all the time.

Our cabin steward was well aware of this and I suppose we could have complained but we chose to put up with it.

When we were on Azura people were smoking in the bar area on deck and again the staff turned a blind eye :rolleyes:

Hello Blackrat,

I'm with you on this one. I am not a smoker but do accept that smoking should be allowed in certain parts of the ship, but feel that balcony smoking should be banned. I understand that smokers also pay top dollar for a balcony in order to smoke, which they state is their right: But I too have a right to breathe smoke-free air. My last cruise was badly affected as I had smokers either side, and as such, I too would welcome a ban on balcony smoking.

Good luck

Lynne

BR, I'm a smoker and I understand your frustration

I like to think of myself as a considerate smoker, if there is such a thing. I’m acutely aware of where and when I smoke, if only because the sly looks and gentle hurumphhhs of some non smokers ‘do my head in’. :mad:

I probably won’t smoke on my balcony as a matter of course. I might have the odd one first thing, but I would look around first. If it was banned from balconies I wouldn’t grumble. As you say there are loads of other dedicated smoking areas and I would happily trot up to one of them for a quick puff.

What would drive me mad, is non smokers walking past me puffing away minding my own in a clearly designated smoking area moaning about it. I’m not asking for the whole of the ship, but a small part tucked away under a lifeboat near the exhaust tunnels would suffice!

I think balconies are too close to non smoking peoples ‘living areas’ and thus it would be selfish of me to disrupt their environment.

Banning it in its entirety is equally selfish to those of us who do smoke. I guess it’s about finding a balance to let us all rub along happily together.

Anyway, I’m hoping to quit when I’m away!:)

I like to think of myself as a considerate smoker, if there is such a thing. I’m acutely aware of where and when I smoke, if only because the sly looks and gentle hurumphhhs of some non smokers ‘do my head in’. :mad:

I probably won’t smoke on my balcony as a matter of course. I might have the odd one first thing, but I would look around first. If it was banned from balconies I wouldn’t grumble. As you say there are loads of other dedicated smoking areas and I would happily trot up to one of them for a quick puff.

What would drive me mad, is non smokers walking past me puffing away minding my own in a clearly designated smoking area moaning about it. I’m not asking for the whole of the ship, but a small part tucked away under a lifeboat near the exhaust tunnels would suffice!

I think balconies are too close to non smoking peoples ‘living areas’ and thus it would be selfish of me to disrupt their environment.

Banning it in its entirety is equally selfish to those of us who do smoke. I guess it’s about finding a balance to let us all rub along happily together.

Well put.

Thank you for that. I really don't mind people smoking in the designated areas because I know I can just avoid those spots but I am very grateful to you and any other smokers who doesn't smoke on their balcony. We had a pipe smoker in a cabin near us on one cruise and we just couldn't bear to sit on the balcony if he was on his. My OH has a lung condition and the smell genuinely made me feel sick. Fortunately pipe-smokers are few and far between these days.

Celebrity do not allow smoking on balconies and if someone is smoking you should phone guest relations and report them. Security will then come and warn them - sometimes guests may not be aware that is the policy. No point complaining about it if you are not prepared to follow it through and get it stopped.

It is a shame that P and O do not adopt a policy of balcony smoking being allowed on only one side of the ship, leaving the other side available for booking by those who prefer smoke free.

As we prefer to book a balcony cabin, we have confined our cruising so far to Celebrity, although we are planning to try Princess soon.

Have only taken one P and O mini cruise which was ruined for us by the smoking policy - I won't say inconsiderate smokers, as they were only doing what the cruise line permitted, and it should not be their responsibility to have to ensure their neighbours comfort, when a policy of segregated balconies might keep everyone happy?

Would not like to see Celebrity or Princess change their current policy, though!

But would like some additional cruising options!

Celebrity do not allow smoking on balconies and if someone is smoking you should phone guest relations and report them. Security will then come and warn them - sometimes guests may not be aware that is the policy. No point complaining about it if you are not prepared to follow it through and get it stopped.

Not complaining just making a point that even with a no smoking rule on the balcony it is hard to enforce, especially when the cabin steward knows about it and ignores it, she was actually in our cabin at the time, and we did tell her it was happening all the time.

Fair enough.......and you are right, it is hard to enforce. At least if there is a no smoking policy you have a chance of getting it stopped. If the policy allows smoking on balconies there is nothing you can do but accept it. I would hazard a guess that cruise lines such as Celebrity actually gain more customers than they lose through their stricter policies on smoking.

Thanks for the replies.

I would not be in favour of banning smoking on ships as this would not be fair. I wish all smokers were as considerate as Tailspin but unfortunately there are some who let the side down.

I'm not sure having an entire side of smoking cabins would work as the vast majority of passengers don't smoke. It would make sense for the comfort of smokers to have an inside room with good air conditioning where they could smoke in peace. I would suggest that this should be a large pleasant room where they will want to go like some of the Cunard ships have. For the more elderly (and some not so) this surely would be preferable to standing out on what is sometimes is a cold and windy deck or balcony?

I will contact Carnival (Parent Company) to see what their policy is although on the face of it, it seems they allow each sub company to set it's own policy. It may take quite a while but I will post updates on the board when I have them. In the meantime please let me know if you support this (or not) as I will need evidence that there is (or isn't) a problem.

So the smoker in the original post not only polluted the atmosphere but also compromised the airconditioning system by leaving the balcony door open. I understand that this stresses the system. Do P&O have notices in cabins asking people to keep the doors closed?

Do P&O have notices in cabins asking people to keep the doors closed?

Can't remember seeing one but there are regular reminders via Horizon etc.

We are not smokers but have a balcony because of the adverse effect of the air-con on us so I'm afraid we leave the balcony door slightly ajar overnight or we would feel unwell. On a couple of cruises we had to see the doctor. I know we shouldn't leave the door ajar but otherwise the cruise would be spoiled for us.

This is a tricky one. On balance I think smokers should be able to smoke on the balcony that they have paid for and people who wish to be totally smoke free should also be accommodated in some way.

As others have mentioned, it would seem to make sense to have a section of the balcony cabins where smoking on balcony's is allowed and upon booking passengers asked if they smoke, and if so, do they want want to occupy one of these specific balcony cabins. All other cabin balconies to be smoke free.

Given that the number of smoking allowed balcony cabins could fluctuate by cruises then maybe there could be a surcharge of £100 when booking the smokers balcony cabin to allow for any additional cleaning/freshening up before the next guest arrives.

This would not please everyone as someone has to to have the cabin next to where the smokers are. But in the current climate I think P&O would be mad to do anything to reduce their customer base.

Just my view.

I remember how the tube used to have 4 smoking carraiges per train. When pubs / bars allowed smoking. And arriving home and all clothes reeked of smoke. This is a far more civilised country with smoking banned in these places. And , of course, smoking should be banned entirely on board. I believe the ships will be a cleaner nicer place without the smokers. They can go elsewhere with their foul habit. Not to mention the fire risk.

BAN THE SMOKERS say I.

Not complaining just making a point that even with a no smoking rule on the balcony it is hard to enforce, especially when the cabin steward knows about it and ignores it, she was actually in our cabin at the time, and we did tell her it was happening all the time.

Celebrity are very strict about the no smoking rule on balconies, however, it's not the cabin stewards responsibility to enforce this, or report it on your behalf. As someone else said, you report it to Guest Relations and security will then get the problem sorted.

Lou

Ok,cat amonst the pidgeons here, but out in the open, several feet from you, with a divider its hardly likely the smoke is blowing it in your face directly. Yes, you may smell smoke but it is hardly all heading up your nostrils and barely poses any passive smoking risk. You stand more chance of ingesting smoke walking by an office building when people are on a smoke break.

Maybe those that loathe cigarette smoke should book an inside cabin? Just an idea.......

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Celebrity are very strict about the no smoking rule on balconies, however, it's not the cabin stewards responsibility to enforce this, or report it on your behalf. As someone else said, you report it to Guest Relations and security will then get the problem sorted.

Lou

I guess that is why people get away with it then because if celebrity staff are not expected to report it when they are seeing it for themselves then I can't imagine why they would think that guests would like to snitch on their neighbours.

I would have felt very uncomfortable actually picking up the phone and reporting someone, confirming to the the cabin steward, actually she was our concierge, that what she was witnessing happened frequently was as far as I wanted to go.

And as I have already said I didn't join this discussion to make a complaint I was just stating that no smoking rules on balconies don't always solve the problem :rolleyes:

Ok,cat amonst the pidgeons here, but out in the open, several feet from you, with a divider its hardly likely the smoke is blowing it in your face directly. Yes, you may smell smoke but it is hardly all heading up your nostrils and barely poses any passive smoking risk. You stand more chance of ingesting smoke walking by an office building when people are on a smoke break.

Maybe those that loathe cigarette smoke should book an inside cabin? Just an idea.......

Couldn't disagree more. one of the lovely things about cruising and having a balcony is standing on it and enjoying the "fresh" air - not inhaling someone else's disgusting smoke.

Hi Kevin,

I would suggest that if you can smell smoke then you have in fact breathed it in although I would agree with you that the passive smoking issue is probably no worse than standing on a street in any town.

For me though I want fresh air when I go on to the balcony and not to have to smell smoke. When I walk down the corridor to my cabin I don't want it to smell like a pub from years gone by. This view it would seem is shared by the majority. I don't suggest that smokers shouldn't be allowed on ship, just that they should have better places to smoke that don't come into conflict with other passengers.

Cheers

BR

Archived