Passport number required to reserve tour?

whystayhome

I am trying to arrange a tour/airport transfer and have given the tour operator my credit card information. Now he's asking for my passport number. Does this seem reasonable to you? I explained my passport was in my safety deposit box and it would be a while until I can get it, but would you give your passport number to a guide service?

Thank you all (this thread and the ones I was redirected to). Although it is a requirement, it is still a concern vis a vis potential for identity theft. I will give him a number.

Identity theft via passport number seems unlikely.

I've never been anywhere where having a passport number was sufficient. They want to see an official document anywhere that passports are required, not just a number.

You may be putting the tour operator into difficulty if you give a fake number and he later has to report that number to government (for tax purposes). Not sure what would happen if they determine the number is fraudulent...

Identity theft via passport number seems unlikely.

I've never been anywhere where having a passport number was sufficient. They want to see an official document anywhere that passports are required, not just a number.

You may be putting the tour operator into difficulty if you give a fake number and he later has to report that number to government (for tax purposes). Not sure what would happen if they determine the number is fraudulent...

I will of course give him a legitimate number. He's just a guy trying to make a living who is following the rules. I just don't understand what difference it would make for tax purposes who is sitting in the car. We both have our own businesses and IRS does not ask who paid for our services, just how much we took in for the year. It just seems a little too intrusive that the Greek government requires that information and I was surprised by the request.

I will of course give him a legitimate number. He's just a guy trying to make a living who is following the rules. I just don't understand what difference it would make for tax purposes who is sitting in the car. We both have our own businesses and IRS does not ask who paid for our services, just how much we took in for the year. It just seems a little too intrusive that the Greek government requires that information and I was surprised by the request.

Greece has had huge issues with tax fraud in the past. Apparently quite a few service providers in this sector have consistently underreported income. I'm not exactly sure how the reporting of passport numbers comes into it, but assume they are trying to crack down on this kind of tax evasion.

In 1959 we were driving around Europe somewhere - probably France - and my parents got a ticket. We had to go to the police station and fill out a form which for some reason asked about marital status AND whether the offender was "cohabitating" with his wife. Looking back it's hilarious, but not all that funny then. Maybe 50+ years from now those of us who are still cruising other than on the River Styx will be laughing about the passport number request...

Archived