Will they ever build a smaller ship?

I am highly concerned that Royal Caribbean seems to be so narrowly focused on the bigger is better theory of ship building. I appreciate and understand that they have a reputation for innovation, however I agree that the larger ships just have "too much stuff," to borrow your words. I think including bumper cars, a carousel, a boardwalk, etc. creates more of a land-based resort atmosphere. A few unexpected features are great. Everyone likes seeing an ice show at sea because it's so DIFFERENT. One or two never-expected-to-see-at-sea features per ship is great! Bowling, an ice rink, a park with growing grass, self-leveling pool tables, bumper cars...GREAT. Piling them on takes the focus OFF the ocean. Isn't that why we cruise?? Water slides, flow-riders....I'm fine with these things because water-features still fit the "I'm on the ocean" atmosphere.

To avoid flaming by the Oasis Class fans, I admit that this is just my opinion. The OP really touched a nerve with this post. I really like the FUN elements of RCL (Quest, Belly Flop Contest, 70s Party...), but see myself eventually being forced to change cruise lines to avoid having to feel like I'm at a theme park, rather than on a cruise ship.

Ideal size? RADIANCE CLASS. Okay, the main pool could be a little larger. That would be my one and only change. I love all the windows. I love the ocean-view elevators. I love the solarium. And I think the size is perfect. The main feature I want to enjoy on my cruise ships is THE OCEAN. I want to never forget that I'm AT SEA! The Radiance Class ships are perfect for me!

Totally agree! Love the Radiance class size ships!

When the older ships become to old to keep in their fleet, RCCL will have to abandon ports where there are bridges that the ships have to fit under. That includes Baltimore and Tampa as well as others, I'm sure.

Mary Anne

The suggestion that those of us who like the smaller ships should switch to a luxury vessel fails to recognize that we LIKE the Royal Caribbean product. I don't WANT a luxury atmosphere. I want a FUN, but with some sophistication atmosphere. I WANT to dress up in retro clothes and do the Hustle at the 70s party. I want to rip off my bra so some man can dress up like a woman at the Quest show. I'm not a sip-champagne and discuss investment strategy kind of traveler. I just prefer to cruise with a smaller group of passengers on a ship that directs the focus OUTWARD...toward the SEA...rather than INWARD...toward the amusement rides.

Exactly! Although, my DH wouldn't object to some conversations about investment strategies;)

Looking ahead, when the smaller ships are no longer offered by RCI, we will have to start seriously looking at other cruise lines. When I'm on a ship, that's the experience I want to feel--the outward perspective to the sea.

Unless the weather is exceptionally bad, I don't enjoy the Promenade. Having done the Oasis and Allure (and Mariner), we just didn't spend time there. Why? It's indoors with no view and air conditioned. Unless it's raining, I see no point in hanging out indoors. And if it is raining, I probably wouldn't hang out there anyway, I'd head to a lounge with a view or my cabin for a nap. It is rather like a shopping mall, while very big, it's just not much like being on a ship. We do love the Radiance class and return to those ships.

I think with the Oasis class size RCI has set a size that won´t be the biggest for ever, but still for a while.

I agree with those saying it´s more cost effective to build the "bigger" ships and I´m realistic enough to know it´s the way it will be.

If asked for my Preference though I say Vision and Radiance class are my preferred ship classes.

I´ve sailed on every class from Vision to Oasis. I´ve never had a bad cruise and enjoyed all ship classes, but still the smaller ones are those I like best. Just off a Vision class cruise and it was one of the best in Terms of ship experience and Service.

The Royal Promenade does literally nothing to me and yes I agree on the Shopping mall comments. To me the RP is just an oversizesed hallway to get from front to back or back to front and a total wasted space.

I´ve never spent any lengthy time on the RP and have no desire to do so.

I haven't read all your replies yet, but I guess time will tell. I've been on every current class except the vision class, but I at least have an idea of the concept. I really do like them all. Royal does seem to still value several home ports and destinations that can't take ships Voyager class or bigger. It might be 5-10 years before we get a clue about their intentions. I assume Majesty will be the next to go. But for now, they can keep building big and retrofitting the smaller ships.

I'm not sure I would ever book a mega ship unless the itinerary was worth it to me. I can't deal with that many people, lol! :rolleyes:

Famous last words of many people till they went on Oasis/Allure.

I would love this, as I have no desire for an "amusement park" at sea. :D

Edit to add : Great discussion topic. Curious to read everyone's thoughts.

I will add that I initially had no interest in a flowrider, no interest in riding a carousel, but I am glad I did both. I will not have trouble booking cruises that don't have them as my countdown clock below shows. However the one thing all of those attractions do it take people away from the things that do interest you. I think that is one key to the Oasis class not seeming crowded. There something for everyone.

Edited by BillOh

Unless the weather is exceptionally bad, I don't enjoy the Promenade. Having done the Oasis and Allure (and Mariner), we just didn't spend time there. Why? It's indoors with no view and air conditioned. Unless it's raining, I see no point in hanging out indoors. And if it is raining, I probably wouldn't hang out there anyway, I'd head to a lounge with a view or my cabin for a nap. It is rather like a shopping mall, while very big, it's just not much like being on a ship. We do love the Radiance class and return to those ships.

I would agree with you at least when it comes to daylight hours. But apparently plenty of people hang out inside after the sun goes down because when I walk the outside decks at night they are often close to deserted. And as for those great ocean views from inside the Radiance class ships that people keep talking about... I couldn't see a thing out of those windows at night.

Famous last words of many people till they went on Oasis/Allure.

Yes indeed. Wasnt there actually a whole group that vowed NEVER on Oasis class and now the majority caved in and now LOVE those ships? :D

I cant wait to try one of them. Hopefully one of them will come to Pt Canaveral and the price will come down some.

Edited by ryano

Yes indeed. Wasnt there actually a whole group that vowed NEVER on Oasis class and now the majority caved in and now LOVE those ships? :D

I cant wait to try one of them. Hopefully one of them will come to Pt Canaveral and the price will come down some.

That would be the NOOTS society.... No Oasis Of The Seas.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I would agree with you at least when it comes to daylight hours. But apparently plenty of people hang out inside after the sun goes down because when I walk the outside decks at night they are often close to deserted. And as for those great ocean views from inside the Radiance class ships that people keep talking about... I couldn't see a thing out of those windows at night.

Outside Deck 4 on Freedom, a PERFECT place to view the ocean, was deserted ALL times of the day it seemed! However the Promenade seemed to always have people sitting around.

Edited by ryano

I think eventually they'll have to replace some of the older, smaller ships, and so maybe they'd replace them with new smaller ships. But the mega ships are proving really popular. Personally I think the Radiance class size is perfect (and I've sailed on other similarly-sized ships on other lines). I'm not sure I would ever book a mega ship unless the itinerary was worth it to me. I can't deal with that many people, lol! :rolleyes:

Your point is exactly how I feel. I've sailed Oasis; and while I had a really good time, I think one time on a super-ship was sufficient for me. I rather prefer the cruising feeling...lots of pool deck time, food, drinks, dancing, music, sleeping in my lounge chair, you get my point. Didn't get much of that on Oasis; I was just going, going, going all of the time. Always something to see/do. I sure hope that RCI takes a break real soon from the entertainment and attractions type stuff. Build us some more small to moderate size ships, PLEASE! :cool:

Outside Deck 4 on Freedom, a PERFECT place to view the ocean, was deserted ALL times of the day it seemed! However the Promenade seemed to always have people sitting around.

I love deck 4. You are close to the water, awesome views, no crowds or chair hogs, and you can be in the shade. Unlike some people I have no interest in tanning.;)

. Unlike some people I have no interest in tanning.;)

Same here. Melanoma runs in my family so I take all the precautions I can! I dont know if sun exposure alone causes that but Im not taking any chances :)

Im perfectly fine being pasty white :D

. . . I rather prefer the cruising feeling...lots of pool deck time, food, drinks, dancing, music, sleeping in my lounge chair, you get my point. Didn't get much of that on Oasis; I was just going, going, going all of the time. Always something to see/do. . .

I haven't been on Oasis, but couldn't you have had "lots of pool deck time, food, drinks, dancing, music, sleeping in my lounge chair" if you wanted to? And my memory is pretty much all RCI ships have a lot of activities -- if you care to participate.

I haven't been on Oasis, but couldn't you have had "lots of pool deck time, food, drinks, dancing, music, sleeping in my lounge chair" if you wanted to? And my memory is pretty much all RCI ships have a lot of activities -- if you care to participate.

I have been on Oasis. And, yes, you can have all of those things and a whole lot more. But sometimes it is a little hard to just sleep in a lounge chair because there is so much going on and it is sometimes hard to resist going to events in return for a nap because you feel like you are missing things.

Sometimes it takes a little willpower to be able to relax on Oasis and Allure.

Edited by Ocean Boy

mjldvlks-

Yes, I could have. The pool deck on Oasis however, is not as expansive as I personally like on other ships. There's no emphasis on deck activities, probably because there isn't enough space for huge numbers of people, AND Royal probably would prefer you to be walking around the ship to shop/dine. Oasis is kind of "carved-out" in the center, so that there's a deep and wide Centrum area covering several floors, which cuts out a great deal of the pool deck area. Hope that makes sense.

I love deck 4. You are close to the water, awesome views, no crowds or chair hogs, and you can be in the shade. Unlike some people I have no interest in tanning.;)

My husband and I have often wondered why more people don't hang out on deck 4. On almost all of our walks around that deck on Mariner of the Seas, it felt like an empty ship. It's such a pleasant area.

Edited by jules815

• 2 weeks later...
Totally agree! Love the Radiance class size ships!

When the older ships become to old to keep in their fleet, RCCL will have to abandon ports where there are bridges that the ships have to fit under. That includes Baltimore and Tampa as well as others, I'm sure.

Mary Anne

That's my concern too: what will happen to Baltimore and Tampa (and probably others that I can't think of) when the Vision and Radiance classes are sold off or retired?

Since I don't see the State of Maryland coughing up the bucks to replace the Key Bridge and the Bay Bridge spans, they may well lose their cruise business altogether . . . or else build a new port near Annapolis, south of the bridges.

Incidentally, all this talk about "small ships" is kind of amusing to me. The Radiance is the LARGEST ship I've been on, and it seemed plenty big to me. But I'll be one-upping my ship size next spring when I sail the Navigator, and I will admit that I'm excited about seeing a Royal Promenade.

My husband and I have often wondered why more people don't hang out on deck 4. On almost all of our walks around that deck on Mariner of the Seas, it felt like an empty ship. It's such a pleasant area.

Agreed. I'll take the Promenade Deck over the top deck any day. I find it much more peaceful and relaxing, and closer to the water to boot. Not to mention, I sunburn easily, so I tend to prefer hanging out in the shade (or indoors) on bright sunny days.

This.

We made head South and try out one of the twins, but PC would be insanely cool. More likely every day, as well.

While I will go on a Radiance class ship, but only if others are not available for that itinerary, I will not go on anything smaller. Been there done that. 10 days on the Legend with 4 straight sea days made me stir crazy.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

A smaller ship around 45000 tons that would fit through The Cut in St. George's, Bermuda. Transfer in winter months to San Juan and sail to exotic smaller ports and be adults only with top notch service. I would gladly pay a little more for such a ship.:)

THIS sounds like a great idea! Count me in ! ;-)