Reviving Old Threads

Novastar

Recently I have been noticing more and more really old threads coming back to life. Some are 3, 4, 5 years old or older. What's the point? The original question has long since been answered. Information in the thread may no longer be valid.

I wish CC would leave old threads available so that members can search for information but not allow any new postings to threads that are more than a year old.

Who's with me on this?

i have found valuable information in some of the old post that get bumped up again when I do a search for certain things. I have no problem with them at all. just ignore them if they are a bother to you.

Recently I have been noticing more and more really old threads coming back to life. Some are 3, 4, 5 years old or older. What's the point? The original question has long since been answered. Information in the thread may no longer be valid.

I wish CC would leave old threads available so that members can search for information but not allow any new postings to threads that are more than a year old.

Who's with me on this?

Pull up the 'omelet hogs' thread.

I have no problem if someone pulls up an old thread. If someone has a problem with it, then just don't respond to it. Same goes for those that come on complaining that a thread goes on and on; if they didn't post to it, it would be one less post that continues it to go on and on.

I think it's because newbies are quite often told to do a search before they post a question. Some that do the search don't think to look at the dates. I tend not to look myself until a little ways in and think... hmm... this sounds vaguely familiar.:rolleyes:

Who's with me on this?

I'm with you. Firing up old threads, often chock full of what is now misinformation, is of no value to anyone. It seems to me if a thread has been inactive for a specified period...maybe six months or a year, it should be locked to prevent further posting.

I agree totally that old threads should be locked. Some of the information may be valid, some not so.

Leave them for research purposes, but do not allow new postings. Maybe a year, two years?

I'm with you. Firing up old threads, often chock full of what is now misinformation, is of no value to anyone. It seems to me if a thread has been inactive for a specified period...maybe six months or a year, it should be locked to prevent further posting.

Yep, I agree. After 6 months-a year, lock em. Leave them searchable forever if you like, but after a long time the info is usually out of date anyway.

Why isn't the date of the original post included in the thread list view, or is that a personalizable option I've missed? My favorite forums on other topics mostly show this information.

There comes a point when some "old" threads are totally out of date...so it may be usefull for all..if CC could find a way to deal with this situation...

While some info may be of help..much is not (esp when 6-12 monts old and more )

From what I have seen...theads of great interest are revived continuously until then run there course...then fade away...usually if the thread info is really important..then a new thread on topic will take its place will current info and input...

Archived