Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Hello again' date=' Do you have any references you can give me for reputable (independent from the cruise line) vendors for city tours or other kinds of tours in Alaska? I would prefer to use those offered by my cruise line BUT, in some cities, if I take the cruise line tour I really want, it doesn't get me back in time for the other things offered. I'm asking about the cities of Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

Thanks for your help![/quote']

Hi:) I went on a Floatplane tour in Ketchikan and it was FABULOUS:D

I went with a company called Island Wings. The owner and pilot is

Michelle and I highly recommend her.

Here is a link to the website:

http://www.islandwings.com/

Hi everyone! I'm Cathy -- I've been on a few solo cruises. I work for Disney so I've gotten a couple of last-minute discount deals on the DCL ships that I did on my own. I was assigned to a dinner seating with similar folks, so dinner was pretty stress-free. I also took a solo cruise on the Norwegian Epic a little over a year ago -- I liked the Solo Studio option. I met a lot of people through CC and more at the Solo Lounge gathering, so I always had someone to hang out with, eat with, etc. A bunch of us who met through our roll call also booked a tour together and did the martini tasting together. So I had a nice balance of "me" time and social time.

When I heard that Pride of America was adding Solo Studios, I booked right away. There are only four on the ship, and I knew they'd sell out soon. So I'm cruising in May. Haven't found any reviews yet from folks who've sailed in the new studios, though I saw a 360-degree video of the "Lounge," which made me laugh -- it's pretty much just the hallway that connects the four studios, with four chairs and a TV. Not sure if they'll have solo traveler gatherings or not. My roll call had a decent turnout but no other solo cruisers, and it's not been very active. I'm not that worried as I'm used to dining on my own and will have my iPad with me with lots of reading material. I've booked several excursions, most just on my own but did book one with some other people from my roll call.

I'm interested in doing a land tour/cruise package in Alaska (or just a cruise, and I'll book a land package separately). I'd really prefer a balcony for that itinerary but am afraid that it would be prohibitively expensive for a solo cruiser. I do have friends I occasionally cruise with, but it's hard balancing destination priorities, work schedules, etc. Sometimes it's easier to just make plans independently. Any advice or tips?

Edited by OhJinkies

Hi everyone! I've booked my first solo cruise in September and can't wait (but a little nervous). I've cruised three other times and absolutely love it. In the past, I've always booked a balcony. This time I've booked a studio which should be interesting. Anyone else cruising the Getaway 9/6?

Hi I am a first time cruiser as well as first time solo cruiser. :)

Will be taking Celebrity Solstice to Alaska out of Seattle May 16.

port excursions in ketchican, Juneau, Tracy Arm, and Skagway and Victoria.

For California Cruisin, I found some good info on excursions under special topics destinations and ports under N America under Alaska heading. Also some tips for cruisers to Alaska- all kinds of good tips on packing searching out companies for excursions etc.

Jinkies, I got a balcony and just decided it would be worth it considering where I would be and in for a penny…:)

I "met" some fellow Passengers via my Roll Call. I think I am the only solo traveller in the group but some are traveling in pairs and a few in groups of 3 or 4. We arranged a dinner out in our embarkation town the night before we leave and then a Mix and Mingle, meeting up for Sail Away, A group created wine tasting, slot pull etc and have shared ideas on excursions. Great way to break the ice. Will be a super trip.:)

Oh jinkies, the good news is that I've been upgraded from a studio on the getaway to a balcony, so if you watch those prices, it may work for you, too! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

One of my roll call members mentioned that they had seen a price drop and got an upgrade, so I called my TA to see what she could work out. Nothing. It's after final payment, but so was the other party. They just have no incentive for giving me anything, apparently. Maybe this sailing is sold out? I think the POA is just different for a number of reasons.

So did they charge you a single supplement at all for the balcony upgrade?

No, but the price of a studio was around the same as the balcony. Now the getaway is sold out except for the haven. No extra cost...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So are you saying that if NCL charged you $1,000 (theoretically) for a studio, they then offered you a balcony stateroom for that same price (which would work out to just $500 per person for double occupancy)?

Hi there! I'm Tracey and I took the plunge and booked my first solo yesterday. My first solo trip ever! Eeepp! I figure after the last 2 years of spending my vacation healing from an accident and watching my father pass away from bone cancer, I'm taking this chance to escape reality. Granted I'm not escaping for another year but it's something to look forward to. s a 40 something single mama...I deserve this. 've been on another message forum before and have met some wonderful and amazing people and I am still friends with quite a few of them. I do hope that will be the case this time. Even if we aren't sailing at the same time there is always the chance of sailing on another trip because I don't intend on only taking one cruise. Looking forward to meeting y'all or at the very least making some great online friendships. :)

Edited by kristinedaae
Adding title

Hi there! I'm Tracey and I took the plunge and booked my first solo yesterday. My first solo trip ever! Eeepp! I figure after the last 2 years of spending my vacation healing from an accident and watching my father pass away from bone cancer, I'm taking this chance to escape reality. Granted I'm not escaping for another year but it's something to look forward to. s a 40 something single mama...I deserve this. 've been on another message forum before and have met some wonderful and amazing people and I am still friends with quite a few of them. I do hope that will be the case this time. Even if we aren't sailing at the same time there is always the chance of sailing on another trip because I don't intend on only taking one cruise. Looking forward to meeting y'all or at the very least making some great online friendships. :)

Hi Tracey

Pleased to meet you

I live in Canberra Australia and am a cruisaholic, almost always solo

Can understand exactly where you are coming from

Look forward to some interesting chat

Greg:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First time cruiser from California taking a cruise from Anchorage, AK to Vancouver, BC! I was expecting you would be on a cruise out of California. I consider myself adventurous and that would be a giant leap for me. My first cruise (7 years ago) was also to Alaska, RT from Seattle, WA. At the time I lived in Spokane,WA, so much closer to home then your adventure.

The best way I found to meet people and enjoy their company was to play trivia and join in on the on board activities. Teams will almost always allow you to join in. The more the merrier... Have a great time.

Thanks, Ruth R, Texas CherBear and Yamaha Dancer. You have some great ideas. I will definately look up that website and check out the float plane. I had no idea that there were board games and trivial pursuit games on board. That definately sounds like a great way to meet people!

Are there easy-to-find signs posted telling of all these activities, locations and times? I can just imagine myself completing the entire cruise never having known about these activities!

I am not cruising up from California, because it would take too long to get to where I really want to go! I have joined the roll call for my cruise, but so far, haven't received many responses to my direct questions. There are only couples on the roll call thus far. Time will tell if there are some frienships to be made there. I wish some of you were going to be cruising on the same ship.

This site hasn't always been sending me alerts when people have newly posted on this board. I've missed knowing about the posts that were written in the past few days, until I received an email alert that Yamaha Dancer posted today.

I really appreciate all the experiences you have shared here.you've all been very helpful!

I am also first time Cruiser, California Cruisin, sailing out of Seattle to Alaska. I found that the more I offered to help do stuff, shared info and questions about excursions and offered to help organize stuff, the more my fellow roll callers responded and got involved too. :) And I am the only solo on my roll call as well. But we organized for everyone in town the night before sailing a meet up for dinner during happy hour at a restaurant near the pier, also organized a get together during sail away and we split up tasks of who would do what regarding organizing a wine tasting for those interested, a meet and mingle, a slot pull etc and then we started asking each other what excursions we were looking at doing and some of us suggested good local tours and then the several more of us joined on to form private smaller excursions in two of our ports.

and built up enthusiasm counting down til we leave. So don't hesitate to keep throwing out the enthusiasm and put yourself out there. It may start off slow but should get there and get warmed up with more responses. :) Have an awesome trip :)

Hi Tracey

Pleased to meet you

I live in Canberra Australia and am a cruisaholic, almost always solo

Can understand exactly where you are coming from

Look forward to some interesting chat

Pleased to meet you also, Greg. We have a year for me to chat you up and find out all of your cruising knowledge and will make me a very happy woman if you have great knowledge of Barcelona and that itinerary. :)

Pleased to meet you also, Greg. We have a year for me to chat you up and find out all of your cruising knowledge and will make me a very happy woman if you have great knowledge of Barcelona and that itinerary. :)

Hi Kristin

Yes have done a number of Barcelona itineraries

Mostly with royal

One Cunard

What would you like to know ?

Go on and pick away hehe

Got to get rid of the cobwebs in my head first:D

Greg

Hi Kristin

Yes have done a number of Barcelona itineraries

Mostly with royal

One Cunard

What would you like to know ?

Go on and pick away hehe

Got to get rid of the cobwebs in my head first:D

Greg

Sorry Tracey

I put down your screen name

Told you - cobwebs :D

wooohooo!! After 31 cruises, I just booked my first one solo!! And got a great rate on a balcony. It was cheaper than an inside double!

I'll be cruising on a 6-day maiden voyage from NOLA on the Dream.

I'm ridiculously excited!!! :D:D

Greg... my cobwebs are also so I'm sure this weekend will have many questions for you. :)

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

Cool Tracey

Looking forward to talking more

Where are you from?

What cruise I'd it you are booked on in a year also

I have a few booked a few already

Loll forward to learning more :D

Cool Tracey

Looking forward to talking more

Where are you from?

What cruise I'd it you are booked on in a year also

I have a few booked a few already

Loll forward to learning more :D

Hey Greg! I live in Washington state. A little town of barely any significance. LOL So far I've only booked the one on NCL's Epic out of Barcelona. Going to try the studio cabin. I don't have any friends who want to travel as they are either married or partnered up. So...here I am...cruisin' solo. No complaints though. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about it. Flying to Europe solo and cruising solo was never on my radar. Now look at me. All grown up and everything. ;) I do want to go back to Alaska and if I can squeeze that in next year I will do that also. Embarking from Seattle saves on airfare for me. :)