Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

I did a short solo cruise last year and I had the odd moments of what to do and how to act. The next cruise I went with a guy who likes me but I felt like the whole cruise, I wanted him to go. Ha Ha. Now I signed up solo on Independence of the Seas, 4/25/15 and a New Years cruise 12/28/15. Here we go jumping in with both feet trying to have more confidence at this. Maybe if I losen up more or have more drinks. Any tips let me know.

Brenda

I did a short solo cruise last year and I had the odd moments of what to do and how to act. The next cruise I went with a guy who likes me but I felt like the whole cruise, I wanted him to go. Ha Ha. Now I signed up solo on Independence of the Seas, 4/25/15 and a New Years cruise 12/28/15. Here we go jumping in with both feet trying to have more confidence at this. Maybe if I losen up more or have more drinks. Any tips let me know.

Brenda

Brenda, I think it depends exactly what you're looking for/wanting/expecting on a solo cruise. Me, personally, I'm looking to have some "me" time where I can just relax, read my books, swim, whatever, and just do what I want, when I want, and not have to answer to anyone else. I'm the caretaker of my DH who has MS, so vacationing solo for me is most definately a relaxation-with-no-responsibilities thing. Some people solo cruise to drink/party and/or hook-up with another single/solo person. Others travel solo because they have no one else to travel with, but they enjoy travel and meeting new people. I also think you need to take into consideration what kind of person you are (e.g., introvert, extrovert, etc.). I'm rather shy and/or an introvert (at times), so I don't usually socialize when traveling solo. Most of the time, I'm very happy with that and have a grand time entertaining myself or just people watching, but sometimes I'd like to have someone to chat with once in a while. I think meeting up with others from Cruise Critic for a drink here or there will be good for me...as long as I can overcome my stinkin shyness! :-)

So all-in-all, I think you have to look within yourself to see exactly what YOU want out of it all and just go from there. Make sense?

Edited by Seagull7

That makes perfect sense Seagull7. I will be on my 4th cruise in August, all of them solo and 3rd time on the Epic. I think the studio cabins are perfect for the solo cruiser. You have the opportunity to meet other solo cruisers in the studio lounge and can join in or do your own thing. I can't wait to get back to Europe!

This will be my first "solo" cruise and most of me is looking forward to it...except for dining alone. Hoping to meet other single travelers. I'm in my early 50's and just needed some alone time...been on several cruises with family but dynamics of life have changed....cheers to being solo!

This will be my first "solo" cruise and most of me is looking forward to it...except for dining alone. Hoping to meet other single travelers. I'm in my early 50's and just needed some alone time...been on several cruises with family but dynamics of life have changed....cheers to being solo!

I suggest before first nights dinner, you see the Maitre'd and make sure you are seated at a solo table. Or at least not one with a family.

I suggest before first nights dinner, you see the Maitre'd and make sure you are seated at a solo table. Or at least not one with a family.

Hi:)...I never worry about if I am sitting with other solo cruisers.

Friendly people are more important to me that what their marital

status happens to be.......If we click and all get along? Great...if

not, then I go to the Maitr'd and ask to be moved...but I never

request a strictly "solo table". I have met some wonderful couples

over the years who I am friends with to this day:)

Hi:)...I never worry about if I am sitting with other solo cruisers.

Friendly people are more important to me that what their marital

status happens to be.......If we click and all get along? Great...if

not, then I go to the Maitr'd and ask to be moved...but I never

request a strictly "solo table". I have met some wonderful couples

over the years who I am friends with to this day:)

Once again, I have to say I feel the same way as Lois. I never seek out someone's company because they are also traveling alone. Just as I would hope they would exclude me simply because I AM traveling alone.

If someone is friendly, interesting and fun to be around, that's the kind of person (s) I want to be around.

I've met unhappy, grumpy, miserable and generally unpleasant couples as well as solo travellers.

I leave on a cruise this coming Saturday and although I've got my own solo cabin, this time I'm cruising with my cousin and her husband. They are fun to around. I think I'm fun to be around too. But, not for 24hours a day for seven days - or even 12hours

Sent from my SM-N900P using Forums mobile app

Once again, I have to say I feel the same way as Lois. I never seek out someone's company because they are also traveling alone. Just as I would hope they would exclude me simply because I AM traveling alone.

If someone is friendly, interesting and fun to be around, that's the kind of person (s) I want to be around.

I've met unhappy, grumpy, miserable and generally unpleasant couples as well as solo travellers.

I leave on a cruise this coming Saturday and although I've got my own solo cabin, this time I'm cruising with my cousin and her husband. They are fun to around. I think I'm fun to be around too. But, not for 24hours a day for seven days - or even 12hours

Hi Tess:) ohhh..have fun...where is the cruise going?:D

My next one is not until November:eek:

Hi Tess:) ohhh..have fun...where is the cruise going?:D

My next one is not until November:eek:

Wow! November is pretty far off. Kinda unlike you to go so long between cruises.

This is a RT out of Seattle with the usual port stops: Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan and Victoria. It will be a fun relaxing cruise and my cousin's first trip to Alaska. I'm excited for them to see it.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Forums mobile app

Tess which line are you cruising on to Alaska out

of Seattle? My ship leaves Friday for Alaska out if Seattle. :)

I'm leaving Saturday on the Golden Princess.

Hi aerospace,

My very first cruise was on HAL Oosterdam. I have been on 10 more cruises since then, and going on my 12th cruise June 1 (solo). The food on Oosterdam was the best of any cruise I have been on and I have cruised with Celebrity, RCCL, NCL and Carnival. The entertainment, however, on Oosterdam was boring. I hope they have improved on that for your cruise. Have fun. Yamaha

I am going on the Millie (Celebrity) for the second time and to Alaska again. This time got lucky and scored a stern AQ cabin. Leaving for Vancouver on the 14th of July and cruise departs on the 18th of July! Looking forward to several days in Vancouver pre cruise then on board for Alaska!