Who use a lanyard on-board?

I personally hate the lanyards for a number of reasons. I will never wear one, would not be seen dead wearing one and neither would I approve of allowing my dog to wear one (if I had a dog).

Well personally my dog and I would not be seen dead NOT wearing a lanyard.

Regards Elaine.

No one sets rules for me and I do my own thing.

Do you really feel this way Sutho? Actually your posts show you as someone that is ALL about the rules. You have a very rigid outlook on life and have in more than one post told people how to dress, how to behave and how to conform in society.

Loosen up Sutho. My Dad had a saying, you're a long time dead (even wearing a lanyard) and it's true.

Regards Doctor Elaine.

It doesn't bother me what others do and like. I am just saying its something I don't do because I just hate the idea of it. I have found it more convenient to have my card in my pocket. The only thing that I will ever put around my neck on holidays is a camera strap. There is only one person above that has really taken exception to my views. It is quite flattering that some actually really seem to care so much about what I have to say. I am aware that the British will not wear them and the Americans are more like sheep. Some will, some wont, Americans are more open to new ways in that sense but they wont have a bar of it if they don't like it. One thing I am fairly certain of is that the Australian cruisers who started on an international line are probably less likely to want to wear one. I am guessing the lanyard brigade was born on P&O Australia and infiltrated the other lines as cruising boomed in Australia. Think of it this way. When you start something new the rules are indoctrinated into you. If your first cruise was with fellow cruisers who wear a lanyard then you will think it is the norm and follow suit. If you start on a cruise where no lanyards are worn then that is the norm and you adapt to the that norm. People are sheep. People like to follow a leader. When people see how things are done the rules are set early. I on the other hand am different. No one sets rules for me and I do my own thing.

Surprise, surprise. I find myself agreeing with Sutho on one small point. "If you start on a cruise where no lanyards are worn then that is the norm and you adapt to the that norm. People like to follow a leader. When people see how things are done the rules are set early."

We started cruising on the Fairstar when we had nothing to hang on a lanyard, then had a break from Australian-based cruising until nine years ago. On that cruise on the Pacific Sky we noticed everyone wearing lanyards and thought it would be convenient. So we bought them and for the next few cruises I wore one but soon found I didn't like it hanging around my neck. I changed over to keeping the card in my pocket.

If people start cruising where no-one, or hardly anyone is wearing a lanyard, they are unlikely to do so as it would appear (maybe) too like a work I.D. I think Sutho has a good point in that people tend to follow a trend they see. A lot will find good reasons to continue, and others like me won't. Personal choice. :)

When I returned to cruising in recent times, I used to put my seapass in my pocket with my camera...until it kept demagnetizing the seapass and I would have to go to guest services. After the 3rd time, I purchased a lanyard, and problem solved. When going to dinner, I just ask DH to put my seapass in his pocket.

We both wear lanyards but not the Ship's brand of lanyard as we have so many lanyards at home that it seems an unnecessary expense ($8) to buy one.

While cruising in the Fjords in NZ last year the wind was so strong that it pulled my lanyard clean off me over the top of my head, card and all and over the rail never to be seen again.

I just could not believe it and never thought that could happen.

John

We both wear lanyards but not the Ship's brand of lanyard as we have so many lanyards at home that it seems an unnecessary expense ($8) to buy one.

While cruising in the Fjords in NZ last year the wind was so strong that it pulled my lanyard clean off me over the top of my head, card and all and over the rail never to be seen again.

I just could not believe it and never thought that could happen.

John

That is one of my objections to wearing a lanyard on a ship. I don't like the card flapping around in the wind, however, yours is the first I have heard of that actually went overboard. :)

I have noticed that on Princess ships , the lanyard is sometimes worn to display the colour of your cruise card and thus "boast" your Captains Circle status.

Some people think that with a black card you receive better service than with the blue.

:rolleyes::eek:

I have noticed that on Princess ships , the lanyard is sometimes worn to display the colour of your cruise card and thus "boast" your Captains Circle status.

Some people think that with a black card you receive better service than with the blue. :rolleyes::eek:

On one Princess cruise, I asked another passenger a question about access to the internet and he very patronizingly explained about the Black Card and its benefits. I listened, and then pulled my card out and innocently asked "You mean like one of these?" :D:D

Its astonishing that I am held with such high regard that people actually bother to care what I think about fashion sense and lanyards. I guess they are the types of people that care what others think of them and worry about how they look in public.

As I said I do not care what other people do with them. If they want to wear them then that their choice.

Its just for a variety of reasons I do not wear them and never will. I consider them:

• inconvenient
  • daggy
  • irritating feel
  • looks stupid
  • no desire to show off the colour/status
  • less secure (security wise) - better protected in pocket
  • I don't hang my car/house keys around my neck
  • I don't wear my licence around my neck
  • I have never worn a hotel door card around my neck

Its just my simple choice not to wear them. Its not hurting other people. I think I am right about people only wearing them to follow a trend. Normally people who follow a trend are fearful of things that are different to what they do which explains why a small few have taken exception to my not liking them. It is because they are afraid and less secure in themselves to make their own choices and not worry about what others do and think.

Its just my simple choice not to wear them. Its not hurting other people.

Your choice hurts nobody, but the insults you enjoy flinging around may do.

Your choice hurts nobody, but the insults you enjoy flinging around may do.

I have not insulted anybody on this topic at all. I have explained the reasons why I do not like to wear them. If people feel insulted by this then they are insecure and should probably not be using these forums.

Picture this scenario. If a person chooses not to purchase a "red" car because they hate the colour "red" it is not insulting the people who like the colour "red" much the same applies to lanyards. If a person does not like them then that is their personal choice. It is not insulting to anyone. The only people who get insulted by other peoples tastes are insecure people and nothing can help them I am afraid.

I have not insulted anybody on this topic at all. I have explained the reasons why I do not like to wear them. If people feel insulted by this then they are insecure and should probably not be using these forums.

Picture this scenario. If a person chooses not to purchase a "red" car because they hate the colour "red" it is not insulting the people who like the colour "red" much the same applies to lanyards. If a person does not like them then that is their personal choice. It is not insulting to anyone. The only people who get insulted by other peoples tastes are insecure people and nothing can help them I am afraid.

I can be insulting if you attribute certain negative personality traits to the people who don't choose a red car (or a lanyard).:)

I personally hate the lanyards for a number of reasons. I will never wear one, would not be seen dead wearing one and neither would I approve of allowing my dog to wear one (if I had a dog). I find them inconvenient, they look stupid and I have no desire to look like an exhibit. I keep a single leather fold over wallet with one single sleave for the cruise card and that is it. If I go ashore I take my real wallet with cruise card in a separate pocket.

Well, you see, the bits in red above are pretty insulting. You haven't insulted anyone individually but you have spread the net quite far!

I can be insulting if you attribute certain negative personality traits to the people who don't choose a red car (or a lanyard).:)

(Sorry) my comment should read "It can be insulting ......

Note to self - Re-read wording before pressing 'Submit Reply' button. :)

Well, you see, the bits in red above are pretty insulting. You haven't insulted anyone individually but you have spread the net quite far!

No that is not insulting to anyone. It is my personal reasons for not liking them. If others take exception to comments like that (which are pretty commonplace for descriptions of personal likes) then they have serious issues and are insecure and unfortunately nothing can help those people.

I re-write. I wont wear them because I think they look stupid.

I don't like them that much and would not be seen dead in them.

Those above are descriptive phrases based on my personal tastes and desire not to wear such an item. Nothing insulting about that to anyone. As I said if people get insulted by what I like and do not like then they are insecure.

Hi there!

Some cruisers have reported having trouble either losing their sea-card or having it de-magnitised with other magnetic items.

Myself, I use a lanyard! I have to use one for work to get in and out of the office so it's no big deal to me!

Some may think it's daggy but it's so convenient!

What about you? Do you use a lanyard?

Gae

I have started to wear a lanyard on my last 3 cruises. I found it better than sticking it under my bra strap as I did before as when I am on a ship I do not carry a bag and most of my clothes do not have pockets. I use a very discreet plain coloured (no advertising) thin strapped one which I can hide under my clothes if I want to. Of course there is some degree of prestige of showing one's card if you have platinum or such

Cruise Love

I was passing through the atrium one evening when formal night portraits were being taken .There was a family group getting their portrait taken. They all looked really nice in their formal gear but around their necks they all had lanyards.

As I passed by , I said to the photographer , tell them to take the lanyards off ..

I already have she said...and

they want them left on:eek:

That is one of my objections to wearing a lanyard on a ship. I don't like the card flapping around in the wind, however, yours is the first I have heard of that actually went overboard. :)

I'm with you on that. They dangle and I see them fly but it's even more of a disincentive to think it could fly away! :)

I was passing through the atrium one evening when formal night portraits were being taken .There was a family group getting their portrait taken. They all looked really nice in their formal gear but around their necks they all had lanyards.

As I passed by , I said to the photographer , tell them to take the lanyards off ..

I already have she said...and

they want them left on:eek:

Haha.

Maybe they're not used to wearing them, and it's part of a special memory the cruise.

Can only hope. :-)

I have not insulted anybody on this topic at all.

No you dont appear to have insulted anyone. But as a new user to the CC forum, I have quickly discovered that you appear to derive great pleasure from writing posts that have the intention of baiting or annoying other posters.

How about taking it down a level and try being nice to people on the board. Most of us come here to get advice and information from other people who have cruised, or to read about other people's trips or experiences on cruises. I am sure the intention of the board is for enjoyment and positity, not to make people feel uncomfortable.

The lanyard issue is simply childish ...... people will make up their own minds if they want to wear one ...... not be goaded by other people's hang-ups about them.

Let's all get along

Sutho , you remind me of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, he has no social skills either.

No that is not insulting to anyone. It is my personal reasons for not liking them. If others take exception to comments like that (which are pretty commonplace for descriptions of personal likes) then they have serious issues and are insecure and unfortunately nothing can help those people.

I re-write. I wont wear them because I think they look stupid.

I don't like them that much and would not be seen dead in them.

Those above are descriptive phrases based on my personal tastes and desire not to wear such an item. Nothing insulting about that to anyone. As I said if people get insulted by what I like and do not like then they are insecure.

I don't think you have intently insulted anyone either. However, the language you sometimes use is pretty strong and can come across a little bit demeaning at times. I think its just your personality type and you mean no harm and just expressing your opinion and probably get a little bit frustrated at everyone pulling you up all the time.

Archived