Can you bring Curling Irons?

JPH814

Latkebabka, bring battery operated toys and you'll be fine - better than fine actually. Mr. Luxury you are what is known as a buzz kill - not only figuratively but on this case literally too.

Most cruise lines confiscate curling irons , cloths irons and electric kettle.

I don't know about "most cruise lines" but we've been cruising since 1993 on Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, and Silversea and never ever has there even been a hint or expressed concern about my wife's curling iron. She typically even leaves it out on wherever she sets up her make-up area so it's not like she hides it and again no issues. Searching the Seabourn website doesn't reveal any such restriction or prohibition.

Just a suggestion, but it could be that some are equating a curling iron with a clothes iron. As some know, a clothes iron gets much, much hotter and can cause a fire. Personally, I'm unaware of a fire being caused by a curling iron, unless it is malfunctioning and in that case, an electric shaver, computer or other device could do the same.

Just a thought - could the curling iron double up as an immersion heater in a cup of water to produce hot water for tea?

As far as "er, um toys" are concerned, I did not think they operated on mains electricity. If so AC or DC?

Could the tea be used to condition the hair?

Just a thought - could the curling iron double up as an immersion heater in a cup of water to produce hot water for tea?

As far as "er, um toys" are concerned, I did not think they operated on mains electricity. If so AC or DC?

AC and DÇ, and battery options...So I heard.

Flat irons are forbidden as fire hazards so I really don't understand bragging about taking one.. I recall this even being announced during the safety drill along with other items such as open flame candles.

Flat irons are forbidden as fire hazards so I really don't understand bragging about taking one.. I recall this even being announced during the safety drill along with other items such as open flame candles.

you are correct PaulaJK!

Overkill, much? Are you referring to the same kind of flat iron that I am? (Talking about hairstyling, not clothes ironing.)

Mine is identical to a curling iron only with two flat facing surfaces instead of a rounded barrel. In fact, a curling iron would be much more dangerous as the heated metal is exposed on a curling iron where it is not exposed on a flat iron unless open.

Example:

http://www.folica.com/tools/flat-irons/babyliss-nano-titanium-flat-iron-and-curling-set

I do not see anywhere in my contract documents that it is forbidden... but would love to see that text if someone can point it out to me.

Curling iron and flat iron sounds like way too much work for a vacation. There are laundry and dry cleaning services, and a hair salon.

It seems like it would be a huge bother to go to the hair salon twice a day just to get a few crinkles out of my hair. Even with a nice blow out, I wake up with crimps the next day.

Okay folks, let's not stir the pot. I board Sojourn on the 23rd and really, really need my curling iron. Ocean air and wind do terrible things to my hair! I don't like "salon" hairstyles, plus would need to go every day. That's a lot of money for a 21 day cruise. As I said before, I have never had anyone say anything about my curling iron and I certainly do not hide it, but like everyone else, I use it responsibly (meaning I turn it off before leaving the suite). I do not know about flat irons altho I do know that they operate about the same as a curling iron. We are not talking about a clothing iron here.

Okay folks, let's not stir the pot. I board Sojourn on the 23rd and really, really need my curling iron. Ocean air and wind do terrible things to my hair! I don't like "salon" hairstyles, plus would need to go every day. That's a lot of money for a 21 day cruise. As I said before, I have never had anyone say anything about my curling iron and I certainly do not hide it, but like everyone else, I use it responsibly (meaning I turn it off before leaving the suite). I do not know about flat irons altho I do know that they operate about the same as a curling iron. We are not talking about a clothing iron here.

In view of the rules, I would take it. I know my wife will be. I don't even want to think about telling her she can't bring it, for all the reasons you mention.

As you know, there isn't a good alternative other than the salon, which I agree would be an option for only the most affluent.

Don't seat it. I'll bet you have no problem.

If you need it, bring it. The staff will make the final call if they are inclined to confiscate them contrary to past experiences.

Ours were out on the vanity counter the entire cruise (not hidden) and our stewardess tidied up and wrapped the cords up each day so we know they were noticed by staff.

Thanks for the support. In an earlier post I said I had been on 5 Regent cruises and one Seabourn cruise - leaving again Sat. for our second cruise. I think it really is 7 Regent cruises and no one ever said anything. I just don't want either cruise line to start "rethinking" curling irons. Curl on, Ladies.

Just for clarification, I was only talking about flat irons as used for pressing clothes. Those are among the items that in my experience one is asked to forego in the interest of fire /safety. Paula

I'd never bring one of those on holiday - heck, I try to get out of doing any ironing even when at home!!! :D

Archived