Can you bring Curling Irons?

JPH814

Ok - I know I have a bunch of detailed questions lately, but we are packing for a cruise leaving in four days and need some answers. here I the latest:

Can my wife bring her curling iron on board?

We were on one cruise (not Seabourn) where they confiscated all electric appliances like curling irons, etc .during boarding and you had to pick them up at the end of a cruise

Ok - I know I have a bunch of detailed questions lately, but we are packing for a cruise leaving in four days and need some answers. here I the latest:

We were on one cruise (not Seabourn) where they confiscated all electric appliances like curling irons, etc .during boarding and you had to pick them up at the end of a cruise

Most cruise lines confiscate curling irons , cloths irons and electric kettle.

Most cruise lines confiscate curling irons , cloths irons and electric kettle.

Why? Presumably a fire-risk if they are not properly wired/maintained. Irons are supplied in the self-service laundry room or one sends clothes to the laundry service for pressing. A kettle is unnecessary - you have 24 hour room service.

I have taken five Regent cruises and one Seabourn (leave again in two weeks) and I always take my curling iron. No one has ever said anything. I bet at least 50% of women have curling irons, judging by the nice coifs I have seen onboard.

This is the first time that I have ever heard that you are not allowed to bring curling irons onboard a cruise ship. Of course I knew that irons were not allowed but I have always brought my curling iron when cruising and it was never an issue.

We have been on many Seabourn cruises and I have always brought my curling iron. Don't know what the official rule might be but I have often left it out and no one ever commented so I guess I have assumed that it is OK.

And kettles. We always bring a small kettle, and ask for a jug of fresh milk to be kept in the fridge. Not a problem so far.

Yes, you can order tea from room service, but it is a lot of palaver (ring Room Service, get through to front desk, wait for room service to phone back. Order tea for two with extra hot water. Wait. Wait just a bit longer. Go to bathroom, miss hearing first knock on door/bell. Open door, wait for tray and tea service to be set up on table. Realise you forgot to button fly after bathroom. Say goodbye to waiter while nonchalantly holding cushion in front of groin. Fend off withering glance from DW).

And DW likes about five cups of tea a day. So much easier to just make ones own.

And kettles. We always bring a small kettle, and ask for a jug of fresh milk to be kept in the fridge. Not a problem so far.

Yes, you can order tea from room service, but it is a lot of palaver (ring Room Service, get through to front desk, wait for room service to phone back. Order tea for two with extra hot water. Wait. Wait just a bit longer. Go to bathroom, miss hearing first knock on door/bell. Open door, wait for tray and tea service to be set up on table. Realise you forgot to button fly after bathroom. Say goodbye to waiter while nonchalantly holding cushion in front of groin. Fend off withering glance from DW).

And DW likes about five cups of tea a day. So much easier to just make ones own.

How very British of you.:)

Now I know why we had so many complete power failures on the Odyssey this past year:eek:....everyone plugging in their kettles at the same time....POOF!:p

Now I know why we had so many complete power failures on the Odyssey this past year:eek:....everyone plugging in their kettles at the same time....POOF!:p

Zorro,it is a very British thing to have a small kettle,cups and saucers,tea bags,small capsules of long life milk and sugar satchets in a Hotel room.

I avoid those places if at all possible and use room service.

Tea is never the same away from home.

Thankfully wine is a little more consistent.;)

Agree about tea, Mr. Luxury but a flask tastes the same anywhere! Cheers from this Yank!

By the way, thought about you folks this past July 4th, Independence Day. I hope all is forgiven....

Mr. Hobar

Agree about tea, Mr. Luxury but a flask tastes the same anywhere! Cheers from this Yank!

By the way, thought about you folks this past July 4th, Independence Day. I hope all is forgiven....

Mr. Hobar

No,i'm still upset.:mad:

Zorro,it is a very British thing to have a small kettle,cups and saucers,tea bags,small capsules of long life milk and sugar satchets in a Hotel room.

I avoid those places if at all possible and use room service.

Tea is never the same away from home.

;)

Yes, quite.Tend to avoid that too - especially the ghastly capsules of long life milk. Pack a kettle, get fresh milk in a jug sent up, bring ones own tea/ tea bags, make tea in long stemmed glass for that 6 star luxury wow factor, wife uses Candrel, room service guys are happy not to have to rush back and forth to suite five times a day (thereby ensuring that breakfast danish are served warm in room), wife content, peace reigns and so on.

You must be joking. On what evidence do you base your comment?

Princess Cruises does not allow curling irons, hot curlers etc. in cabins.

On our last cruise I saw people going to the naughty room to collect their curling irons etc.

The potential for fire is a major concern on a ship...so from candles to irons, it's a 'no'. Don't know where the curling iron fits on the spectrum.

Room service and SB Square certainly can sate anyone's need for tea. The former will supply a thermos of boiling water which will cover a few cups.

The potential for fire is a major concern on a ship...so from candles to irons, it's a 'no'. Don't know where the curling iron fits on the spectrum.

Room service and SB Square certainly can sate anyone's need for tea. The former will supply a thermos of boiling water which will cover a few cups.

Yeah but not good enough for the "Brits"...they like their Tea PIPING HOT!!!!!

Not so much a matter of 'piping hot' - but that to make a decent cup of tea you should have freshly boiled water and the water should be added to the tea while it is boiling or just after. This applies to black teas (BOP, English Breakfast etc).

Green teas, or delicately favoured teas such as darjeeling require slightly cooler water. It needs to be fresh water, freshly boiled (never re-boiled).

It seems unlikely that a kettle full of water will catch fire, and if one is making tea one will be keeping an eye on it anyway (despite the fact that, as we all know, a watched kettle never boils).

On a related note: it is almost impossible to get a decent cup of tea in the OL at teatime. SB staff simply do not know how to make one, although they do their best to serve it elegantly.

On a related note: it is almost impossible to get a decent cup of tea in the OL at teatime. SB staff simply do not know how to make one, although they do their best to serve it elegantly.

I have heard this same complaint from other Seabourn paxs as well about the Observation Lounge and in getting a half decent cup of HOT tea.

I have heard this same complaint from other Seabourn paxs as well about the Observation Lounge and in getting a half decent cup of HOT tea.

On the button.

It is almost always insipidly weak and luke-warm. As far as the little triplets are concerend, anyway.

Archived