How accurate is this review?

We have sailed on Independence five times with a sixth booked for next year. You have absolutely nothing to be worried about! In fact you are likely to be "wowed" by the whole experience.

Everyone has their own expectations and experiences and by the same token if they go the trouble of writing a review, then you read it as one persons experience. As seasoned cruisers, I am not sure what they were really expecting from a "sampler cruise" which is normally a 2 or 3 day (schedule filler) across the English Channel to Le Havre, or a 3 nighter to Cork. You would also assume that they would have researched the cabin they were purchasing and what amenities came with it. In any event I can assure you that not one single night of the sixty nights we have experienced on board even comes close to this reviewers experience.

I suspect if this reviewer had been invited to the last supper, he would have moaned that everyone was seated on one side of the table, and he didn't see why he should tip the maître d! :)

If it helps put your mind at rest we have cruised twice on Indy and loved it both times. We have only encountered 1 crew member who was unhelpful and unsmiling. We have never had a problem with the food. We both work full time and save very hard for our 2 weeks holiday like most people. We would not go back for more if it was as bad as that review. We have this year (Spanish med)and next year (Norwegian Fjords) booked already and can't wait.

I haven't sailed on Indy, but I really wouldn't believe the comment on waitstaff, or food. My husband and I keep going back to Royal because of the quality of the product. Even if it means cruising less, we prefer knowing that we will receive good service.

It could well be that some comments are true. It may be possible that since one is on a ship that has limited space, tables at the cover-charge restaurants are closer together. It could also be true that you can't order a latte at a bar. I've never tried to order one. Those aren't reasons to not sail, though.

I agree with those who say that the reviewer may have been looking for things to complain about. I also think they were comparing to other cruiselines and expecting things to be exactly the same and pointing out only the cons. I suspect had they been willing to look for them, they would have found quite a few pros of Royal Caribbean over other lines they have sailed.

That said, if they were in fact on a "sampler cruise" (an initial 2-night cruise when the Indy first arrived in the UK this spring) as they mention, their experience may have not been up to the usual Royal Caribbean standards. I was on the Adventure of the Seas 2-night cruise this May, and I thought it was not up to Royal's usual standards. I think there was a fairly large staff turnover as I saw more crew who seemed to be in orientation or training. I don't think it was the best introduction to Royal Caribbean for new cruisers to the line and was really a lost opportunity to them to show new cruisers what Royal had to offer. It didn't put me off though! I knew better was possible, and I've since booked the Brilliance of the Seas for a cruise next month.

My first cruise was after deciding between a vacation to Hilton Head SC and a cruise aboard Sovereign Of The Seas for the same amount of days. After looking at cost factors, we decided to try the cruise as the 3 day cruise came out cheaper than the 3 days at a resort in Hilton Head. After researching critiques on the net including the ones here on CC, I can say if I would have went by the critiques of Sovereign Of The Seas (Most of which were bad at the time) I would have not taken the cruise and would not still be crusing today. It turned out to be the best vacation ever for us and started us loving cruises!

I wouldn't worry to much about that review... Some people like to moan. We have sailed on Indy before and have booked again for another cruise on Indy next year... You will have a wonderful time and I truly believe you will be Wowed by this amazing ship...

Have a wonderful Cruise :-)

I'm appaled at all the people who think, just because it didn't happen to them, it didn't happen to anybody. It is one person's experience, on one specific cruise, nothing more. I agree, look at the entire range of views and make up your own mind. Maybe their expectations were too high, maybe not, but it's very obvious that they weren't satisified with their cruise. Just because someone wasn't happy with their cruise, and voiced it, they are labeled as moaners, give me a break.

That said, if they were in fact on a "sampler cruise" (an initial 2-night cruise when the Indy first arrived in the UK this spring) as they mention, their experience may have not been up to the usual Royal Caribbean standards. I was on the Adventure of the Seas 2-night cruise this May, and I thought it was not up to Royal's usual standards. I think there was a fairly large staff turnover as I saw more crew who seemed to be in orientation or training. I don't think it was the best introduction to Royal Caribbean for new cruisers to the line and was really a lost opportunity to them to show new cruisers what Royal had to offer. It didn't put me off though! I knew better was possible, and I've since booked the Brilliance of the Seas for a cruise next month.

You took the words right out of my mouth! As a fellow "sample cruiser," I learned to avoid them. We still had a great time (hello! On a cruise ship!), but it wasn't the usual standard.

Any other time when a person says the RCI crew is untrained, poor or uncaring, i know what it really means: the person writing the review is either an idiot or an sob, probably both. Royal Caribbean's training program is amazing and top-notch.

OP: you are going to love Indy!! Have a great time!!

I'm appaled at all the people who think, just because it didn't happen to them, it didn't happen to anybody. It is one person's experience, on one specific cruise, nothing more.

I agree. It was their experience and they shared it. I would hope we are all smart enough to know food is highly subjective and while there may have been some attitude on the part of the staff, that is certainly something that can change with the tides. To answer the op, I'd say yeah, it probably was accurate. Doesn't mean it still is or even was on the very next cruise.

We have never cruised before although by husband has wanted to for many years and I have resisted. We have finally taken the plunge (I hope not literally!) and booked the Spanish Med cruise on Independence next June. I have been researching on the forums and getting quite excited about it until I read this review. Can anyone please put this into context as to accuracy or is it a case of someone who just likes to moan. Being an avid Trip Advisor user I know this is the case with some people.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=219591

There are two types of reviews that I discard and pay zero attention to. The ones where everything was great. No issues at all. Service was perfect, food was the best and so on. I always say, there must ne something you'd thing could be a little better. The other type is the "moaner review", everything sucked. I often wonder why these people bother taking a trip. There absolutely has to be something about the cruise that was good. You can't please these people.

Pay no attention to this one. You'll have a ball on the Indy. We did! Here's a link to my review if you're interested, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1810273

My opinion is that the writer of the review is a snob who felt he was going to get a Seabourn or some such cruise for the price of a Royal Caribbean cruise. In addition, he did NOT book a suite, he booked a mini-suite---big difference.

Once he entered his "suite" and found no flowers etc, he was already upset and kept that attitude through the whole cruise. I would go on the cruise and enjoy myself and not let someone's totally negative attitude ruin my cruise or even influence it.

I'm appaled at all the people who think, just because it didn't happen to them, it didn't happen to anybody. It is one person's experience, on one specific cruise, nothing more. I agree, look at the entire range of views and make up your own mind. Maybe their expectations were too high, maybe not, but it's very obvious that they weren't satisified with their cruise. Just because someone wasn't happy with their cruise, and voiced it, they are labeled as moaners, give me a break.

Well it's just as someone else said when you have people that go on the cruise and absolutely everything sucked, then it becomes unbelievable! IMHO I find it hard to believe that "EVERYTHING" was bad the entire week! I'm not going to label them as moaners but I am going to label their review as "UNBELIEVABLE"!

Yes I agree with this.

Also Why has the OP placed so much emphasis on this one review??? There are hundreds of reviews

My wife and I are just off the IOS having spent the last 2 weeks on the West med 14 night cruise from Southampton.

This is my 5th RCI cruise and I have cruised many times with other cruise lines.

This is my first cruise from Southampton during school holiday time, and will be my last from Southampton during holiday time!

Generally, our cruise was enjoyable, but not in the same league as our previous cruises. I would say, slightly disappointing in comparison

First of all the IOS is a beautiful ship and our first on the "Freedom" class.

Everything else being positive, I will deal with the negative points we experienced. I must say, all staff were fantastic and we had absolutely no complaints about the level of service. BUT..

Windjammer Cafe - busy anytime we visited there. Complete cattle market and too small for the size of ship. 90% of the time we could not get a table and had to sit at the single seat benches. We used the Windjammer once for an evening meal and saw numerous tables taken up by groups of young kids, one lot of 4 unsupervised with their colouring books and pens, having been sent there by their parents, no doubt occupying themselves elsewhere on the ship.

Food quality at the WJ was good, but not so if you generally ate chicken or fish of which there seemed to be a lack of these options at most lunch times.

MDR - food was ok, but presentation generally not good, ie spilt gravy on plates, dry food indicating some time under heat lamps, no time taken to present food tidily on plate. Again, service was excellent, but as I say, we did notice a decline in the quality and presentation.

Sundecks - another cattle market, particularly at sea days. Mass reserving of sunbeds and did not once see deck patrol removing any towels. One chair even had a 'marked territory' scarf attached to it for 2 consecutive days.

Our 6th floor midships stateroom was spotlessly clean and a lovely room, well serviced by our excellent steward. However, there is an obvious design flaw in the balcony door (or the seals were non existent), which meant that catching the wind, the noise from the gaps in the doors sounded like bein next to a tumble dryer.. Also due to the presence of chain smokers on the balcony next to us, everytime they lit a cigarette (daytime or through the night), the smell of smoke seeped into our room. I reported that to Guest Services but due to the fact ther ship was at capacity, a change of stateroom was not possible. Our room was the noisiest we had ever been on, compounded by the fact that it appeared to be above some storeroom servicing the Promenade Cafe, which meant that we had to endure the constant sound of metal cupboards and doors being dragged and pulled shut, all through the night. Also, there was some night time maintenance of the areas around the lifeboats which were underneath our beds which also caused noise, particularly during the first 3 and last 2 nights aboard.

A smell of sewage in the corridor (as referred to in previous threads) was very much apparent beside the elevators on port side, but was not detectable in our room.

My main concern (for us anyway) was the groups of unsupervised children which were left to roam the ship, the top age of some groups being only 9/10 years. Playing in lifts, throwing water in the disabled toilets, running around the ship, particularly running races through the corridors during the early hours of the morning, to name but a few problems. I spoke to one couple who delighted in telling us that their 9 year old girl was allowed to roam unsupervised and would even come into the room after 2am, long after their parents had retired to bed. That was by no means a lone incident.

I know kids will be kids, but I thought RCI policy meant that they had to be supervised at all times in public areas.

As for some of the adults, I don`t know if the premium alcohol packages had anything to do with it, but its the first time I have seen rowdy behaviour late at night and fists fights involving adults in the Royal Promenade (outside Sorrentos to be precise - you know who you are !). Also I have never seen the large industrial carpet cleaner put to so much use cleaning carpets and floors of sick, particularly later at night on Level 5 (and that was on nights when there was no ship movement!).

We also witnessed frequent loud domestic disputes in public areas, and several cruisers lying drunk on the floor ( one in the Chapmagne Bar to be precise), and an aggressive altercation between 2 males at guest services which required one to be restrained by several Security officers. Also older people, who should know better trying to hold each other up whilst staggering about drunk in the Royal Promenade. Sometimes it felt like a city centre street during a the early hours of a weekend (but with children), rather than a cruise ship feature such as a Royal Promenade.

All in all a fairly enjoyable cruise, but not for us, at least not from Southampton during the school holidays. I would cruise on the IOS again but not on level 6 above the Royal Promenade either.

I had to chuckle when I read about their displeasure when they arrived at the JS cabin.:D Had they done some research, they would have learned prior to boarding that a Junior Suite is not considered a full suite and therefore does not get "suite" benefits. All they earned was double points.

Ahh. I didn't even get that far, because I read them being disappointed with not seeing champagne and flowers when they first walked in. That was enough to tell me they were just looking for reasons to be dissatisfied. I didn't read far enough to realize it was only a JS cabin.

I'm appaled at all the people who think, just because it didn't happen to them, it didn't happen to anybody.

Show me one person who said that. I don't think you can, because that's just your misinterpretation. What is being said by many people is that this experience is so atypical that it's hard to believe it is anything more than one person's perception.

Sure, you might occasionally run into a crew member who is not smiling and pleasant, but I don't believe for a minute that the majority of the crew was rude and unhappy. I believe the writer of that review may have perceived it that way, but not that it was an accurate perception.

The OP asked how accurate the review was. My answer would be that it's probably not very accurate at all, in terms of a reflection of how the average cruiser would feel. Was it how the author felt? Probably so.

WOW! Sounds like your experience was a complete nightmare!:eek:

It was`nt a complete nightmare, just the negative things that I have highlighted.

In fact, I think it is something unique to cruising from the UK during the school holidays in particular.....British holiday camp at sea! (Butlins or Benidorm - take your pick (UK readers will understand this).

We have never cruised before although by husband has wanted to for many years and I have resisted. We have finally taken the plunge (I hope not literally!) and booked the Spanish Med cruise on Independence next June. I have been researching on the forums and getting quite excited about it until I read this review. Can anyone please put this into context as to accuracy or is it a case of someone who just likes to moan. Being an avid Trip Advisor user I know this is the case with some people.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=219591

Having been on these boards for a long time, and even back in the mid to late 1990's when it was on AOL only, I have learned to take individual reviews with a grain of salt. I tend to read all reviews available, and look for patterns. If enough people say the same things, positive or negative, them I presume there is something to the comment. Also, there may be reviews from long time members I have gotten to know from the boards, whose opionions I respect. Otherwise, knowing that everyone's expectations and experiences are different, the reviewers' comments are nothing more than unsubstantiated opinions. I've read enough reviews over the years by people on the same cruise, but from their comments you would think they were on 2 different ships at different times.

It was`nt a complete nightmare, just the negative things that I have highlighted.

In fact, I think it is something unique to cruising from the UK during the school holidays in particular.....British holiday camp at sea! (Butlins or Benidorm - take your pick (UK readers will understand this).

Well after 40 + cruises......I have never experienced even just 25% of the negative things you stated in your post on any one cruise. Your post painted an awful picture.............If all you described did indeed happen to you.........It would have been a nightmare for me. just saying

Well after 40 + cruises......I have never experienced even just 25% of the negative things you stated in your post on any one cruise. Your post painted an awful picture.............If all you described did indeed happen to you.........It would have been a nightmare for me. just saying

Have you ever sailed from Southampton to the Med during school holidays? This indeed happened, believe me.

Yes I agree with this.

Also Why has the OP placed so much emphasis on this one review??? There are hundreds of reviews

But there have been quite a lot of bad ones lately. The only reason I picked up on this one was because by husband found it when he searched reviews by cabin and as it was the same one we have booked I was interested in what he said about it. As it turned out very little except the lack of flowers, chocolates etc.

Thanks goodness we are going in June but I thought the school holidays didn't start until the end of this week.

Archived