Funicular in Bergen..

hi everyone, arriving on Eurodam 30 August into Bergen...

Seems to me from all the posts the Funicular is a MUST do... we don't want to do cruise tours... so assuming there will be other like minded people.. is it a mad rush to go on the funicular...?

Where can I buy the tickets? How much do they cost? and how long does the funicular journey take?

I did a med cruise once stopped at Santorini.. took 2 hours to go up to the top.. half an hour at top and had to go down again...

really don't want the same scenario at Bergen!!

Any advice please!

Thank you

We don't like to do ships tours either but ours had a hiking one at the top of the funicular. With the long lines I've heard about, I thought this solved two problems...getting to the top and what to do when we got there. It worked out well for us.

However, I'd say the earlier the better. Although our tickets were part of a shorter group ticket line, we did have to wait some to get on the funicular. Not long though. By noon when we returned to the bottom, the line was long. So go as early as you can.

The other thing is that the weather in Norway changes a lot even in a single day. If you are lucky enough to arrive at the top in sunshine, take your pictures then. In an hour it might be cloudy.

hi everyone, arriving on Eurodam 30 August into Bergen... Seems to me from all the posts the Funicular is a MUST do... we don't want to do cruise tours... so assuming there will be other like minded people.. is it a mad rush to go on the funicular...? Where can I buy the tickets? How much do they cost? and how long does the funicular journey take? I did a med cruise once stopped at Santorini.. took 2 hours to go up to the top.. half an hour at top and had to go down again... really don't want the same scenario at Bergen!! Any advice please! Thank you

Bergen can be super wonderful. A town with so much charm, history, culture, great architecture, etc. BUT, there are lots of VARIABLES. What works and is true on one day can be very different on another day of visiting here. Why? Much depends on such factors as the weather the day you are there, the number of ships in port that day, the size and crowds from that total number of ships there that particular day, etc.

Below are some of my notes on Bergen, pictures on the funicular, etc. We got our rail tickets at the tourism office, making things much easier, saving on standing in the ticket office line. And, there are TWO LINES THERE!! One for tickets. The other to get on the rail car to go up, UP. We did this rail trip in the afternoon when the lines and morning crunch was mostly avoided.

ADDED BACKGROUND FOR BERGEN:

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen.

Their good and helpful Tourism Office can be accessed on the web at: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

We docked at the fairly handy Skoltegrunskaien Pier. This put us within about a 10-15 minute walk of the main attractions at the market and warehouse area.

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

As an example for May 6, you will find this data for Bergen: a high of 44 °F in 2012 with a low of 32 °F, with an average high on this date of 54 °F with an average low of 42 °F. During recent history, the high has been 69 °F (2006) and a low of 32 °F (2012) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year.

June 8, for Bergen: a high of 64 °F in 2012 with a low of 45 °F, with an average high on this date of 58 °F with an average low of 48 °F. During recent history, the high has been 77 °F (2007) and a low of 42 °F (2001) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year.

July 8, for Bergen: a high of 64 °F in 2012 with a low of 55 °F, with an average high on this date of 62 °F with an average low of 51 °F. During recent history, the high has been 71 °F (2001) and a low of 44 °F (2000) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year.

More details, pictures, etc., for Bergen, the Fjords, etc., from my live/blog connected below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 112,672 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Bergen, this was our great vista on this sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

From the Bergen harbor, this is the view of the station, dining place, etc., for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of its 1050-foot high peak.:

BergenFuncTrainTop.jpg

From water level across the Bergen harbor, this shows the Hanseatic merchant warehouses, other buildings and up to the station for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of this 1050-foot high peak that overlooks the whole scenic area.:

BergenHarborRailStatTop.jpg

This view from the Bergen hilltop shows the central downtown shopping area (Torgalmenningen, the major square) and many various building rooftops. The red brick church at the top is Johanneskirken (St. John's church), built of red brick in a neo-gothic style in 1894. The church tower at the left is Korskirken, dating back to the latter half of the 12th century and whose name means “True Cross”. Lots of interesting and historic architecture in Bergen.:

BergenChurchTowers.jpg

When we arrived at the ticket office, their credit card machine was not working! They suggested we went to an ATM and got cash, but we decided to walk instead. Didn't take all that long and was a very pleasant climb. Lots of locals out for the day, many running up the pathways! It snowed briefly when we reached the top ( May 2012) but not a problem! Wonderful views and very satisfying. Walk down was easy!

See link:

http://www.floibanen.com/

Screwcork

Appreciate this excellent link. It has nice background info, including this item that 2012 was their best year in history with . . . "a new annual record of 1,315,903 journeys made. Most visitors come between May and September."

THANKS for sharing! Good to review before your visit to Bergen. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 113,105 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We are planning this trip on Sunday this week!

thanks to Terry, for his advice that I'd gleaned earlier, we are planning to get our tickets from the tourist office and then to avoid the line at the station.

But once at the top, we're planning on canoeing on the lake, which I believe is open 11 til 3 during the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

We got off the ship at 10am and were worried about queues for the funicular but in the event there were only four people in front of us and a train was already in and waiting - so it took about 4 minutes from queuing to getting on the train. When we came down about 12pm it was a lot busier, but it still didn't look too bad. It takes 7 minutes to go up in the train (according to the sign!).

We paid by debit card - it was 80NOK return and 40NOK single. We got a return, but at the top the directions to walk back to town are really clear. There are lots of hiking trails at the top which are lovely - including a walk to a small lake. There were canoes at the lake with a sign saying they were free to use.

We got off the ship at 10am and were worried about queues for the funicular but in the event there were only four people in front of us and a train was already in and waiting - so it took about 4 minutes from queuing to getting on the train. When we came down about 12pm it was a lot busier, but it still didn't look too bad. It takes 7 minutes to go up in the train (according to the sign!).

We paid by debit card - it was 80NOK return and 40NOK single. We got a return, but at the top the directions to walk back to town are really clear. There are lots of hiking trails at the top which are lovely - including a walk to a small lake. There were canoes at the lake with a sign saying they were free to use.

If you plan to buy a single funicular ticket buy your ticket at the funicular, as the Tourist Office only sells return tickets.

Good idea to buy ticket on the day, as it was pouring rain, when we visited Bergen recently, so no view. There was a window of opportunity later in the afternoon, when the rain stopped and the sun came out briefly.

When I did it in the afternoon there was a constant long line but it moved quickly.

The thing I would do as soon as you hit the ground is go to the Bergen museum and pay for the guided town of town, English at 1100 and 1200. This also gives you entry into 3 museums which can be used all during the day. So you can go to through the museums before the guided tour if it starts raining. I would rate the tour a major highlight, informative and good because the museums lack alot of info about the artifacts and the tour tells you info on the major items.

We were just there. The line was long but, as others have said, it moved quickly. When a ship is in port, the furnicular runs constantly (up & down) vs. the "every 15 minutes" the port lecturer said and which is probably true at other times. I didn't rush off the ship nor did I rush to the furnicular. I arrived around 11 and waited probably 20 minutes.

You can use a credit card so no need for local currency. I bought a return ticket but ended up walking down. They say it's 45 minutes all downhill and that's about right. It's a pretty walk through woods and then the lower village. However, you can ride back.

I thought the views were great and was glad I did it.

One of our friends advised us to get there early, so we took the first shuttle and then took the funicular to the top. The panoramic view was incredible!

By the time we went down there was a long line, including some friends on a shore excursion. If I were doing it again I would still try to be early.

We were there in July of 2012. We left our ship as soon as possible, took the shuttle to the center of town, and briskly walked to the Funicular. We were some of the first from the ship and only waited a few minutes. While we were at the top, it began to pour, not just a mist, but pouring down rain. When we came down, people were packed into the Funicular building like sardines. Some ship friends said that they waited an hour and that they weren't at the back of the rush! Others told us that the lines were again reasonable later in the afternoon. This was my only trip to Bergen, so I'm not sure if this is common or not.

• 1 month later...
.... go to the Bergen museum and pay for the guided town of town, English at 1100 and 1200. This also gives you entry into 3 museums which can be used all during the day. So you can go to through the museums before the guided tour if it starts raining......

Which museum was that? As it sounds interesting we are there late Jan next year so rain avoiding ideas may well be welcome! How long was the tour?

There is a second funicular in Bergen, a little farther away and much higher and much less crowded. It was spectacular. Got the info from Rick Steves. We took a public tour bus from the center of town. Bus ride was nice but not long. We took a lunch and had a picnic at the top on a gorgeous day.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Bergen can be super wonderful. A town with so much charm, history, culture, great architecture, etc. BUT, there are lots of VARIABLES. What works and is true on one day can be very different on another day of visiting here. Why? Much depends on such factors as the weather the day you are there, the number of ships in port that day, the size and crowds from that total number of ships there that particular day, etc.

Below are some of my notes on Bergen, pictures on the funicular, etc. We got our rail tickets at the tourism office, making things much easier, saving on standing in the ticket office line. And, there are TWO LINES THERE!! One for tickets. The other to get on the rail car to go up, UP. We did this rail trip in the afternoon when the lines and morning crunch was mostly avoided.

ADDED BACKGROUND FOR BERGEN:

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen.

Their good and helpful Tourism Office can be accessed on the web at: www.visitbergen.com/en

We docked at the fairly handy Skoltegrunskaien Pier. This put us within about a 10-15 minute walk of the main attractions at the market and warehouse area.

You can go to

www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

As an example for May 6, you will find this data for Bergen: a high of 44 °F in 2012 with a low of 32 °F, with an average high on this date of 54 °F with an average low of 42 °F. During recent history, the high has been 69 °F (2006) and a low of 32 °F (2012) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year.

June 8, for Bergen: a high of 64 °F in 2012 with a low of 45 °F, with an average high on this date of 58 °F with an average low of 48 °F. During recent history, the high has been 77 °F (2007) and a low of 42 °F (2001) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year.

July 8, for Bergen: a high of 64 °F in 2012 with a low of 55 °F, with an average high on this date of 62 °F with an average low of 51 °F. During recent history, the high has been 71 °F (2001) and a low of 44 °F (2000) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year.

More details, pictures, etc., for Bergen, the Fjords, etc., from my live/blog connected below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 112,672 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Bergen, this was our great vista on this sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

From the Bergen harbor, this is the view of the station, dining place, etc., for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of its 1050-foot high peak.:

BergenFuncTrainTop.jpg

From water level across the Bergen harbor, this shows the Hanseatic merchant warehouses, other buildings and up to the station for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of this 1050-foot high peak that overlooks the whole scenic area.:

BergenHarborRailStatTop.jpg

This view from the Bergen hilltop shows the central downtown shopping area (Torgalmenningen, the major square) and many various building rooftops. The red brick church at the top is Johanneskirken (St. John's church), built of red brick in a neo-gothic style in 1894. The church tower at the left is Korskirken, dating back to the latter half of the 12th century and whose name means “True Cross”. Lots of interesting and historic architecture in Bergen.:

BergenChurchTowers.jpg

Hi Terry

We cruised with you last year in the Caribbean

Stu is afraid of heights. Should we avoid going up the funicular. He's OK in high places, as long as he can stay in the middle of "a viewing" and not be close to the edges to look down

Linda

We walked into town from the ship and went to the Tourist Office first thing and bought the funicular tickets, then were able to join the much much shorter queue for those with tickets. It didn't take too long at all.

Enjoyed the top and then for a bit of exercise, walked back down. All very pleasant. Much easier walking down than up I would imagine. We had a nice walk around the town and the harbour. It was Liberation Day, so there was a parade and a little ceremony to watch, which added to the visit. Walked through the fish market - heard tales afterwards that someone had paid 18 Euro for a plate of mussels! - then walked back to the ship for afternoon tea.

A very enjoyable visit to Bergen.