Which ship is better for Alaska, Crown Princess or Coral Princess?

allisons

Which ship is better for Alaska, Crown Princess or Coral Princess? Particularly, will size make any difference in Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier (ability to enter, proximity to glaciers, etc.)? We initially booked the Coral Princess, then we switched to the Crown Princess one week later. Now we are thinking of switching back. Thanks in advance!

I would choose Coral Princess - along with the size of the ship comes the size of the passenger load - Coral Princess is very well laid out and has a low passenger density compared to Crown Princess. Coral also has a covered pool if you're looking for some pool time during the vacation - Crown does not. The amenities on both ships are pretty much the same.

The ability to get to glaciers always depends on the conditions, but generally smaller ships are able to get closer. That said, Crown Princess will be in her first season in Alaska so we really don't know what she will be able to accomplish.

I would choose Coral Princess - along with the size of the ship comes the size of the passenger load - Coral Princess is very well laid out and has a low passenger density compared to Crown Princess. Coral also has a covered pool if you're looking for some pool time during the vacation - Crown does not. The amenities on both ships are pretty much the same.

The ability to get to glaciers always depends on the conditions, but generally smaller ships are able to get closer. That said, Crown Princess will be in her first season in Alaska so we really don't know what she will be able to accomplish.

Thank you so much! That's what I figured. We don't want to take any chances with not getting to see the glaciers, as we missed Hubbard Glacier entirely this year and were extremely dissapointed. I'm thinking we should switch back.

Having cruised both ships on numerous cruises, I would pick the Coral assuming a similar itinerary. The Coral has more public space per passenger and numerous observation points front and rear. Would not expect your chance of getting to the glaciers to be different in either case. If you are in a balcony cabin, you may expect the captain to rotate the ship near the glacier so that both sides will be close at some point.

However, you will be happy with either ship I am sure.

Coral definitely. A "no brainer" for me. The reasons are that while it's a large ship, there are a lot fewer passengers plus there are several open, public decks both forward and aft for scenic viewing. The Coral has also been updated with the International Cafe. The only things the Crown has that the Coral doesn't are Skywalker's and the Adagio Lounge. For Alaska, it would be far more important to me to be on a less-crowded ship and the open viewing decks.

I have been on both and enjoyed both ships, but I agree with Pam and others that the Coral would be my choice. The covered pool in the conservatory is a plus along with the extra deck space on board for viewing.:D Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide.

I would look at itinerary first, then weigh the pros and cons.

Same itinerary.

Definitely the Coral Princess. It will be less crowded and has an indoor pool.

I think putting the Crown in Alaska is a big mistake on Princess's part. Having sailed the ship in a cooler climate, it was incredibly crowded.

I have sailed the Coral Princess to Alaska and it was "just the right size".

Edited by Coral

Having cruised both ships on numerous cruises, I would pick the Coral assuming a similar itinerary. The Coral has more public space per passenger and numerous observation points front and rear. Would not expect your chance of getting to the glaciers to be different in either case. If you are in a balcony cabin, you may expect the captain to rotate the ship near the glacier so that both sides will be close at some point.

However, you will be happy with either ship I am sure.

Thank you so much! It is an identical itinerary.

Coral definitely. A "no brainer" for me. The reasons are that while it's a large ship, there are a lot fewer passengers plus there are several open, public decks both forward and aft for scenic viewing. The Coral has also been updated with the International Cafe. The only things the Crown has that the Coral doesn't are Skywalker's and the Adagio Lounge. For Alaska, it would be far more important to me to be on a less-crowded ship and the open viewing decks.

Thank you so much!

I have been on both and enjoyed both ships, but I agree with Pam and others that the Coral would be my choice. The covered pool in the conservatory is a plus along with the extra deck space on board for viewing.:D Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide.

Thank you so much! We will!

Same itinerary.

Definitely the Coral Princess. It will be less crowded and has an indoor pool.

I think putting the Crown in Alaska is a big mistake on Princess's part. Having sailed the ship in a cooler climate, it was incredibly crowded.

I have sailed the Coral Princess to Alaska and it was "just the right size".

Thank you so much!

You asked this question here, and got 8 people telling you Coral is better (and none preferring Crown). At least 2 of those people stated they had sailed on both ships, and several explained that Coral has the better public viewing areas.

Then you asked it again on the Alaska forum, and ONE person recommended Crown -- giving wrong information about Coral but making it clear that he had only sailed on Crown.

And then an hour later you asked in both forums about choice of balconies ON CROWN.

So -- were you really looking for advice about choice of ship, or were you just trying to ratify your already-made decision to take Crown -- and one uninformed vote was all it took!

You will have a great cruise anyway, because Alaska cruises are great. But if you are really interested in getting the most out of the glacier viewing days, you would have an even better cruise on Coral.