After 5 P&O cruises.....Ive had a taste of Celebrity...

kevinyork

There are two jacuzzis in the Solarium are? The Persian garden is inside the Spa which adjoins the solarium. There is a free sauna in the changing area.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Did you try the free sauna? Is it a good one i.e. I have been on many ships and if they provided a free sauna it was frequently fairly cold and no crew member was interested in doing anything about it.

If you are really into the Persian Gardens/Spa then booking an aqua class cabin would give you unlimited free access to this area, plus access to a separate small scale dining room Blu for breakfast and dinner. It is worth keeping an eye out for aqua class prices as sometimes they are not all that more than a normal balcony, depending on how bookings are going on that specific cruise.

Did you try the free sauna? Is it a good one i.e. I have been on many ships and if they provided a free sauna it was frequently fairly cold and no crew member was interested in doing anything about it.

Yes I did try the free sauna. It was fine and was pretty hot.

Well there's a refreshing report. It's interesting how people feel differently about different things. .

Thanks - to be honest I tend to post most on the Celebrity part of the site for obvious reasons but always wander across here to check things out. The one thing that surprises me on the P&O site is that it seems quite negative re P&O while the Celebrity site is the complete opposite - very pro the cruise line. I wonder if it is an American / British thing.

We will be on here much more though after the next cruise as we'll be returning to P&O :)

Thanks - to be honest I tend to post most on the Celebrity part of the site for obvious reasons but always wander across here to check things out. The one thing that surprises me on the P&O site is that it seems quite negative re P&O while the Celebrity site is the complete opposite - very pro the cruise line. I wonder if it is an American / British thing.

We will be on here much more though after the next cruise as we'll be returning to P&O :)

Just a thought but maybe it is because there are more things to be negative about P and O just lately, Celebrity on the other hand are getting things right

Just a thought but maybe it is because there are more things to be negative about P and O just lately, Celebrity on the other hand are getting things right

I suppose that worries me - it would be sad if P&O had lost that special something they had when we were on Oceana. We know that Oceana won't be able to compare with the Silhouette in April, but we would hope that they things that made the cruise in 2010 special are still there. Perhaps we are seeing P&O through rosy coloured spectacles ---

I know that we are on Celebrity at the moment, but there are some things on there that could do with a shake up as well --- the grass isn't always greener.

Must admit, we have booked a 4 day taster for my 'big' birthday in October on RCI Independence of the Seas. Now that will be interesting ----:eek:

I suppose that worries me - it would be sad if P&O had lost that special something they had when we were on Oceana. We know that Oceana won't be able to compare with the Silhouette in April, but we would hope that they things that made the cruise in 2010 special are still there. Perhaps we are seeing P&O through rosy coloured spectacles ---

I know that we are on Celebrity at the moment, but there are some things on there that could do with a shake up as well --- the grass isn't always greener.

Must admit, we have booked a 4 day taster for my 'big' birthday in October on RCI Independence of the Seas. Now that will be interesting ----:eek:

Presto2,

If you go with the intention of enjoying your cruise you will. I have no doubt you enjoy all your cruises.

Gan Canny

Dai

Presto2,

If you go with the intention of enjoying your cruise you will. I have no doubt you enjoy all your cruises.

Gan Canny

Dai

You must know us too well..... as long as we are near the sea we're happy. We tend to make the most of our holidays --- wherever, whenever. ;)

We know that the IOS will be different so we are making sure that we have all the stuff we need to join in if they 'do' a big Halloween thing while we're on board. (Hubby has to take some fangs :):)) Not sure about the climbing wall etc etc though :D

I have to agree with the original post. I have been on both Azura and Celebrity Solstice and Celebrity wins hands down. There is literally no comparison.

P&O still know how to run a great cruise line. There are many things they can do better than Celebrity. If you want the best of P&O then you need to go for the smaller ships like Aurora, Oriana, Arcadia and possibly even Adonia and Oceana.

I am in the top loyalty club with P&O and finally tried Celebrity this year and was just blown away as to how good it was. It was modern, trendy, innovative and was so personalised and outstanding that I would go back in an instant. Right now P&O are playing catch up. If P&O wants to compete with the likes of Celebrity then they can do without ships like Azura and Ventura. To all the passengers who lost their cruising virginity on these ships they are bound to like them and are likely to defend them. However the more experienced cruisers who have known P&O in past years they will all agree with this. P&O still have a great cruise line but with ships that do not measure up to the competition then P&O will soon find they will lose passengers to the competition.

The new ship may be ok but it is still large. I think I will have to wait and see to judge it. At this stage the only P&O ships I will sail on are Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Adonia and Oceana. If there was a choice between the Vantura/Azura and a Celebrity ship I would always go Celebrity.

The new ship may be ok but it is still large. I think I will have to wait and see to judge it. At this stage the only P&O ships I will sail on are Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Adonia and Oceana. If there was a choice between the Vantura/Azura and a Celebrity ship I would always go Celebrity.

I'm the opposite. Having been on all the P&O ships my first choice would be Azura or Ventura. I wouldn't go on the others except for perhaps Arcadia.

If there was a choice between the Vantura/Azura and a Celebrity ship I would always go Celebrity.

Must admit, after everything I've said on the subject we said that if we had a choice between Azura or the Eclipse we would go AQ on the Eclipse any day as the ship is large but has less passengers, more crew and more space.

I'm the opposite. Having been on all the P&O ships my first choice would be Azura or Ventura. I wouldn't go on the others except for perhaps Arcadia.

I am with you there, I love Princess and after Arcadia last year, 49 days, Sydney to Southampton, I like P&O, am booked on Arcadia again next April - The Med.

We tried Celebrity (Solstice) for the first time in March, whilst not bad, I thought it was very overrated, to me, the food, service and entertainment was no better then Princess/P&O UK. There is a lot of hype about Celebrity being 5 star cruising, to me it was not.

The BYO Alcohol policy on Celebrity, like other American lines is childish, I was most impressed with P&O UK drink prices on board and their liberal byo alcohol policy.

Edited by NSWP

As I see it the decision for me comes more down to ships size. The larger ship with less passengers will always win out over the larger ships with more passengers. I have tried the Azura and will not be returning to it. While I like the ship and the design and facilities it is just far too crowded. All of those ships in its class are now off my list of acceptable ships to cruise on.

When the new P&O one comes out I will be tempted to try it to make up my mind. I may even try the Princess versions first. If I like them great and if I don't like them then I will not be back on them simple as that.

Having a good cruise is easy to do and if that means avoiding certain ships then that is exactly what I will do to enjoy my holidays.

Think of it this way. Some people like to go away into crowded cities and shopping malls with masses of people, others like to go away to a relaxing retreat in the middle of nowhere where there is not a care in the world to worry about. I am in the second category.

The problem with Ventura and Azura is that they are ships based on Grand Princess with public spaces designed for 2500 passengers, with an extra deck of cabins added taking their capacity to 3000. Celebrity Solstice is a ship with public spaces designed for the number of passengers she carries. I have however, read somewhere that the next generation of Solstice class ships will also have an extra deck of cabins and may well be perceived as overcrowded as a result.

The problem with Ventura and Azura is that they are ships based on Grand Princess with public spaces designed for 2500 passengers, with an extra deck of cabins added taking their capacity to 3000. Celebrity Solstice is a ship with public spaces designed for the number of passengers she carries. I have however, read somewhere that the next generation of Solstice class ships will also have an extra deck of cabins and may well be perceived as overcrowded as a result.

According to the cruise critic schedule of upcoming ships, Celebrity dont have any new ships planned. Has this changed?

According to the cruise critic schedule of upcoming ships, Celebrity dont have any new ships planned. Has this changed?

Am guessing that the reference was to the Reflection which has more AQ cabins / AQ class suites. Report are that this means more passengers with the same amount of space.

No more ships planned yet I don't think, but to be fair, the Reflection is still quite new, as is the Silhouette. (3 yrs)

Just checked and you are right that 100 or so passengers were added on this version of the S class ship. Quite a lot less than the 500 added by P&O to the Grand class of ships when they launched Ventura and Azura.

Just checked and you are right that 100 or so passengers were added on this version of the S class ship. Quite a lot less than the 500 added by P&O to the Grand class of ships when they launched Ventura and Azura.

500 more --------- that's a LOT of people! I have been reading the reviews of the Reflection and the knock on that the extra passengers had on there.

I have to admit, we were thinking of going on the Azura next year, but when we checked it out we saw that the ship carried more passengers than its sister ship from Princess and had more passengers than the Silhouette by far and not a lot more space. A shame - we really DO want to do an August cruise on P&O as we loved it the last time. :)

Edited by Presto2

I personally didn't find Azura anymore crowded than Oceana for the size, the breakfast was still the same bun fight on both ships, and equinox was no different.

Breakfast times in the buffet and searching for a sunbed when it is hot or a comfy place inside when it is raining has been the same experience every time we have cruised no matter how big or small the ship

We are Elite on Princess and, I think, Mediterranean on P & O. In February, we went on our first cruise on Celebrity to Antarctica and have to say, had the best food of any of our cruises. We tend to go for the itineraries, so would go with any of these cruise lines, but I wish that P & O were a bit more adventurous.

We are Elite on Princess and, I think, Mediterranean on P & O. In February, we went on our first cruise on Celebrity to Antarctica and have to say, had the best food of any of our cruises. We tend to go for the itineraries, so would go with any of these cruise lines, but I wish that P & O were a bit more adventurous.

Hi, would like to hear your views on the Antarctica cruise, i presume it was onboard Infinity? We are booked to go next year but a little bit concerned about anti-british feeling in Buenos Airies.

We to have done many PO cruises. In May we tried Eclipse to Fjords . What a fabulous cruise. Fantastic service, Fantastic food and fantastic entertainment. We enjoyed it so much we have cancelled our transatlantic on Ventura in October and booked back on the Eclipse.

500 more --------- that's a LOT of people! I have been reading the reviews of the Reflection and the knock on that the extra passengers had on there.

I have to admit, we were thinking of going on the Azura next year, but when we checked it out we saw that the ship carried more passengers than its sister ship from Princess and had more passengers than the Silhouette by far and not a lot more space. A shame - we really DO want to do an August cruise on P&O as we loved it the last time. :)

We have been on Azura twice and Ventura three times. At the time we didnt feel they were overcrowded. However after Celebrity Eclipse its clear they were. More space and less people has to equate to a more enjoyable experience.

As an example they have recently revamped Ventura and reduced the largest bar/seating/lounge area (the exchange) by half to put in 18 single cabins. So, whilst 18 people benefit, up to 3400 have to endure a smaller bar area. Penny pinching gone mad. Seems to suggest a cruise line run by accountants, not cruise experts.

Edited by kevinyork

We to have done many PO cruises. In May we tried Eclipse to Fjords . What a fabulous cruise. Fantastic service, Fantastic food and fantastic entertainment. We enjoyed it so much we have cancelled our transatlantic on Ventura in October and booked back on the Eclipse.

Glad you Enjoyed Eclipse but do you have to tell everybody!..........:-)