After 5 P&O cruises.....Ive had a taste of Celebrity...

kevinyork

Like our cruise last year on Princess it's the trip which has attracted us.

Iceland in school summer holidays is unheard of on a P&O family ship, even a North Cape trip hasn't been considered. If they did I would consider it on any of their family ships.

We've done several Celebrity cruises, and were seriously thinking of doing another next year - a Med fly-cruise. In the end we haven't; we've booked with P&O again. Our reasons:

a) we're both still working and we need to get our holidays booked a long way in advance. My wife, for example, is in a project-based role and has to announce her holiday dates when she joins a new project (every nine months or so) - there's no chance she can agree additional holiday, or even make changes, once she's been added to a project team. So, as usual, we're booking a year in advance. This absolutely precludes cheap deals, unfortunately;

b) we are mainly wine drinkers, and there's no doubt in my mind that wine on Celebrity ships is significantly more expensive than on P&O - more so than either spirits or beer, I think. Someone said above that they found wine at $36 a bottle - that's well over £20. Plus the dreaded 15%, of course. We also found that glasses of wine in the restaurant always seemed small, and we've recently found out why - the Celebrity sommeliers reckon that a glass is a fifth of a bottle or about 150ml, whereas the standard UK sizes are 175ml or 250 ml. If we'd got a deal, either free flights or free drinks package then we would go back, but paying full price a year in advance, and then facing the on-board costs is too much for us.

Perhaps after we're retired we will, because we certainly enjoyed our cruises with Celebrity.

Edited by tom_uk

Really pleased to read all the positives about Celebrity as we're seriously thinking about booking with them next year.

After 11 years and over 200 nights' sailing with P&O we've jumped ship, so to speak, the restriction of Getaways to couples only was the last straw for us.

This year we're testing the water with sailing out of Barcelona on Carnival Sunshine and driving there from Lancashire (we don't fly).

If the journey goes OK then we'll probably book for Celebrity Equinox.

Debbie

Really pleased to read all the positives about Celebrity as we're seriously thinking about booking with them next year.

After 11 years and over 200 nights' sailing with P&O we've jumped ship, so to speak, the restriction of Getaways to couples only was the last straw for us.

This year we're testing the water with sailing out of Barcelona on Carnival Sunshine and driving there from Lancashire (we don't fly).

Debbie

I am sure you will love equinox, initially it didn't have the 'wow' factor when entering the atrium as P and O had for me but I soon fell in love with ship

I would not hesitate in recommending this ship to anyone, sadly the price is a bit too high for me this oct as it came out near on a thousand pound more than Azura for just 2 extra nights to the canaries, we couldn't get the drink package either as we are having an inside cabin

Although we've probably cruised more with P&O than any other line, we've been on Princess and Celebrity a few times too.

The Celebrity ships are certainly lovely and we love the buffets. Like others, we thought the bar prices were very high. The Celebrity entertainment, however is all a bit too 'muzak' for us. When we were on Equinox a couple of years ago, the music in the bars consisted mainly of jazz, barber-shop, solo pianists etc and we just found the evenings really boring. The Americans onboard enjoyed very busy days in the ports and early nights so they were ready to leave the ship as soon as it docked. For us the cruise is a holiday so we like a leisurely start to the day, a visit to a place of interest during the day then a choice of entertainment that goes on beyond 10.00 p.m...... when Equinox seemed to go to sleep. This may not seem a big thing to some people but it didn't really suit us. However we'll no doubt be back on Celebrity at some point :)

Debbie

Blimey Debbie, you are driving to Barcelona from Lancashire :eek:

Don't think I could manage that

Lou

tom-uk

Unless you're doing one of the new mediterranean fly cruises on Ventura, you can book Southampton/Southampton until 31.7 for next year with obc and classic drinks package included in the price. We have done just that, but on Infinity Oct 14 out of Harwich.

The price we have paid we could never have got anywhere near, never mind beaten, if we'd booked last minute.

Worth looking at ?

Lou

tom-uk

Unless you're doing one of the new mediterranean fly cruises on Ventura, you can book Southampton/Southampton until 31.7 for next year with obc and classic drinks package included in the price. We have done just that, but on Infinity Oct 14 out of Harwich.

The price we have paid we could never have got anywhere near, never mind beaten, if we'd booked last minute.

Worth looking at ?

Lou

Snap, we have done the same on Eclipse next year, 2 week Med. Mid-Ships High Deck Balcony with $200 per cabin OBC, £125 per cabin Loyalty discount, Tips Paid and Drinks Package for c£1800 which we think is an excellent deal.

Snap, we have done the same on Eclipse next year, 2 week Med. Mid-Ships High Deck Balcony with $200 per cabin OBC, £125 per cabin Loyalty discount, Tips Paid and Drinks Package for c£1800 which we think is an excellent deal.

Fab isn't it?

We have booked with a future cruises certificate, which was applied to our booking, and that of our 4 friends (2 cabins which are allowed under the rules) so we not only have a great deal, drinks package but $500 obc too :D

Thats for May on Eclipse, we got the deal on our October Infinity cruise too

Be rude not to,lol

Lou

Can you tell me does the Eclipse have a wrap around promenade deck?

Also how much does the Persian Gardens cost?

And lastly how easy is it to get a chair bed in the covered pool? I remember doing Constellation about 10 years ago and we never did manage to get one!

Can you tell me does the Eclipse have a wrap around promenade deck?

Also how much does the Persian Gardens cost?

And lastly how easy is it to get a chair bed in the covered pool? I remember doing Constellation about 10 years ago and we never did manage to get one!

No wrap around promenade. In fact most of tbe promenade has lifeboats blocking the view.

We were offered the Persian Garden at $149 for two weeks. It wasnt for us.

We got a bed in the solarium covered pool everyday. Its quite a fluid area with many only staying a while. We loved it in there and it was a godsend as we had poor weather.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No wrap around promenade. In fact most of tbe promenade has lifeboats blocking the view.

We were offered the Persian Garden at $149 for two weeks. It wasnt for us.

We got a bed in the solarium covered pool everyday. Its quite a fluid area with many only staying a while. We loved it in there and it was a godsend as we had poor weather.

I presume the covered pool has a jacuzzi or 2? Is the Persian Garden next to the covered pool so it is possible to easily go between the 2 without having to get dressed in non-swimming costume attire?

Is there a 'normal' free steam room or sauna?

We have just returned from Oceana having sailed with Thomsons and Celebrity. I thought that Oceana was no better or worse than Thomsons on the whole, except that the passengers were a little more refined. As for Celebrity, we had the finest food we had eaten anywhere on Eclipse. The service was truly exceptional and the stateroom (rather than cabin) was beautiful. However, luckily, we were with friends. Had we not been, I doubt if we would have met so many nice people as we did on Oceana. You pays your money etc etc.

I presume the covered pool has a jacuzzi or 2? Is the Persian Garden next to the covered pool so it is possible to easily go between the 2 without having to get dressed in non-swimming costume attire?

Is there a 'normal' free steam room or sauna?

There are two jacuzzis in the Solarium are? The Persian garden is inside the Spa which adjoins the solarium. There is a free sauna in the changing area.

We to, are converts to celebrity, having taken a Transatlantic on the Ventura a couple of years ago! It was the worst cruise we had ever taken. P & O seemed to have sold off the last hundred or so cabins very cheaply! And it showed.

We would cruise P & O again but only on the smaller ships or more expensive trips.

Celebrity has been bliss, the service, food & ambience all great.

We bought their drinks package on our first cruise, which worked for us. All the drinks, including premium coffees etc, with no bill at the end.

We to, are converts to celebrity, having taken a Transatlantic on the Ventura a couple of years ago! It was the worst cruise we had ever taken. P & O seemed to have sold off the last hundred or so cabins very cheaply! And it showed.

We would cruise P & O again but only on the smaller ships or more expensive trips.

Celebrity has been bliss, the service, food & ambience all great.

We bought their drinks package on our first cruise, which worked for us. All the drinks, including premium coffees etc, with no bill at the end.

How much was the drink package?

How much was the drink package?

The classic package is £29 and the premium £36, both plus 15% service charge.

Details of the inclusions are here: http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages#onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab/onboard/asrPanel.do%3Fpagename=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic&ComponentTypeId=30&categoryId=&currencyCode=USD

The classic package is £29 per day and the premium £36 per day, both plus 15% service charge.

Details of the inclusions are here: http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages#onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab/onboard/asrPanel.do%3Fpagename=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic&ComponentTypeId=30&categoryId=&currencyCode=USD

Looks like Celebrity have as much trouble with their web site as P&O do, I can't get many of those pages to load!

We went on our first P&O cruise on Oceana in 2010. We absolutely loved everything about it. We had already booked the Celebrity Silhouette for her first proper cruise in August 2011 and since then we have done 1 other Celebrity cruises. We will be on Silhouette again in just under 2 weeks (!!!:D).

I have to say that the reason that we have chosen Celebrity in the past has been the itinerary - we have enjoyed the fly cruises we have done (and am sure that we will enjoy the next one).

Having said that I still think that the food on P&O was better, we preferred the whole 'feel' on the formal nights and the sense of 'tradition' that P&O brings. (We loved the band at Southampton, the no fly, the Champagne Fountain, Great British Sailaway etc etc)

Obviously, the Silhouette is a stunning ship, but we still have fond memories of Oceana and are planning to return for a week in April 2014. We can't wait.

The price of drinks / alcohol policy on P&O is MUCH cheaper, even if you do the packages!

I must admit, I can't see how the service on Celebrity is any better than what we experienced on P&O.

Our ideal cruise would be on a fly cruise on the Silhouette owned by P&O !!!!

Well there's a refreshing report. It's interesting how people feel differently about different things. We have enjoyed our P&O cruises, found the food to be excellent. We found Azura to big and crowded. However, having now done a Fred cruise, we found little things were better. We are now on Oriana in September and Balmoral in January, so chopping and changing.