In search of a walrus.

drron29

Monday and it was a public holiday in Iceland.We went for a drive to Vik.Going there was not too bad for traffic.I recommend the last 60Km into Vik.Really beautiful scenery.There were many waterfalls.Some unknown-

walrus%25202013%2520154.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520155.JPG.

Some famous-

walrus%25202013%2520160.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520162.JPG.

And Glaciers you could see from the road-

walrus%25202013%2520164.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520165.JPG.

It was again a very windy day and once more if you were passing walkers or the many cyclists you could give them a free shower if you operated your windscreen washers whilst passing them.The first time it was accidental!

Vik is a delightful small town with a church in prime position and majestic mountains for a back drop-

walrus%25202013%2520169.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520171.JPG.

walrus%25202013%2520173.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520179.JPG.

Then there is their famous black sand beach.If my zoom was powerful enough it would show in the last photo the next land mas-Antarctica.

walrus%25202013%2520182.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520183.JPG.

So some more of Vik-

walrus%25202013%2520181.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520187.JPG.

Behind Vik are the snow and icefields-

walrus%25202013%2520188.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520189.JPG.

walrus%25202013%2520191.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520193.JPG

On the return from Vik the traffic was really heavy with all the locals who had gone south for the long weekend returning.This was not helped by the conduct of many drivers particularly of tour busses.Others would cross straight across you on the highway.Particularly annoying were a pair of young women tourists who must have gottten their licence out of a corn flakes pack-driving straddling the middle line.If you tried to overtake they would pull across further.

Fortunately our plans were to turn off to Stokksevri and their supposedly famous restaurant Fjorubortit.Now basically only 2 dishes-a fish soup and lobster tails in garlic and butter.The soup was lighter and definitely inferior to the previous 2 in Reykjavik.There were some very mushy lobster tails as well indicating that they had been frozen and not thawed correctly.

Son if you want quantity at a lesser price this is the place but if you like quality then go elsewhere.It is a stop for many tour busses and that says it all for me.

First pictures of our meal-

walrus%25202013%2520200.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520201.JPG.

From Stokksevri we returned to Reykjavik via Grindavik and the Blue Lagoon.This had the advantage of having hardly any traffic.The road to Grindavik though was through a lava field.Mile after mile of lava.

We did not pay to enter the Blue Lagoon.Think the price is just too high.Besides there are hot pools outside the complex if you really believe in their healing powers-

walrus%25202013%2520203.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520209.JPG.

walrus%25202013%2520214.JPG.

Also couldn't help taking this photo.Watch out for the hill!

walrus%25202013%2520206.JPG

On Monday night the Blue car fellow came to the Hilton to pick up the car.We felt the service was very good.It worked for us as we like to be independent.We weren't very hungry so just grazed in the Hilton lounge.

On Tuesday after breakfast we picked up a bus pass from thr Hilton front desk.This is complimentary for all guests and allows 4 people to use any bus in the Reykjavik area.You can pick up a bus map and timetable from the Reykjavik Information centre or look on line at straeto.is.

So we caught the bus downtown.This is one of the shopping streets-

DSC00545.JPG.

There is a lot of street art-

DSC00548.JPG.

The other shopping street has a great view-

DSC00551.JPG.

And some of the buildings-

DSC00553.JPG.DSC00557.JPG.

DSC00560.JPG.

As you can see Tuesday turned out to be a beautiful day.Blue sky,sunshine and very little wind.Certainly different to our 3 days driving.After we walked the 2 main shopping streets we walked to Icelandic Fish and Chips recommended here.On the way passed some more street art-

DSC00561.JPG.DSC00562.JPG.

DSC00563.JPG

So at lunch we shared a serve of cod and a serve of Pollock,a serve of garlic potatoes and one of crisp potatoes along with a trio of dips-

DSC00565.JPG.DSC00567.JPG.

The batter is certainly nice and the fish cooked to perfection.Unfortunately we found it very bland as were the dips.The potatoes were very good.With a beer and a glass of wine ~ $60 so not inexpensive.

Across the road a rare touch of floral colour-

DSC00568.JPG

So sorry to hear you were disappointed in Icelandic Fish and Chips. They use skyr for the dips so maybe that is why they seemed bland.

Really enjoying the photos and commentary. The commentary is almost Haiku-like!

When do you board the Explorer, or are you already aboard?

Thanks for checking the boot sizes for me, drron, as George was still worried about having his size 13 available.

Actually Rachel the penny has just dropped with me.My size 12 boots are the Australian size.Equivalent to size 13 US so there will definitely be a pair-they will be marked RD inside.

And Herman we are indeed onboard,in fact 10 days into the cruise.I am just a little behind.We have had 3 consecutive nights with the Northern lights and today our first polar bear sighting.

Actually Rachel the penny has just dropped with me.My size 12 boots are the Australian size.Equivalent to size 13 US so there will definitely be a pair-they will be marked RD inside.

And Herman we are indeed onboard,in fact 10 days into the cruise.I am just a little behind.We have had 3 consecutive nights with the Northern lights and today our first polar bear sighting.

Congrats! Any Walrus' yet?

Hope you are enjoying. How is the food, service, drink etc.?

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I can tell George to stop worrying about lugging the boots along (not to mention getting all the cow and horse gunk off them before) plus I get northern lights. I am so excited and ready for this trip.

DRRON, thanks so much for your commentary and pics! We'll be getting on in Churchill. I am so happy to hear that you've had some wonderful experiences, particularly seeing the Northern Lights. We are hopeful that they will be visible during our cruise. I was wondering if you really used all the cold weather gear. I know you have the waterproof boots, but were they needed? Did you use the SS parka every time you boarded the zodiacs? I am expecting days in the fifties so the packing list seems overburdened with Arctic wear. I wish you the best for the balance of your cruise.

No walrus yet on this cruise but we still have Walrus Island ahead.

Yes you do need the gear.The last 3 days the temperature hasn't been over 40F.Add to that winds up to 50Kmph and rain we have needed our wet weather gear.

Today's activities for Akpatok Island were cancelled because of the wind.Right now though there is some blue sky so hoping for better things tomorrow.

Back to the report.First to show some of the sights from the Hilton lounge.First there is a hop on/off bus with an open top!

DSC00575.JPG.

But seeing you can get free rides on the public busses from the Hilton it is no surprise no one gets on or off this service at the Hilton.A good view of the bay.Ideal for small sailing boats and liners alike-

DSC00576.JPG.DSC00578.JPG.

But finally Wednesday comes around and it is time to board the Explorer.It is docked at the Old Harbour.We sleep in,have a leisurely breakfast in the restaurant before getting a taxi to the ship.Just 4 Km and it costs 2000ISK($20).Taxi pulls up right at the ship and so midday and we board.A lot of the staff are still on from our April cruise so we catch up with them.Then lunch with a couple from San Francisco and another from the UK.

Good to see the ship being refuelled-

DSC00586.JPG.

With a lot of supplies being loaded-

DSC00588.JPG.

But will it be enough of the good stuff?

DSC00598.JPG.

The Art Museum is just across the road from the Explorer-

DSC00590.JPG.

A trawler leaves-

DSC00596.JPG.

Now Iceland has no Army,Navy or Air Force but it does have a Coastquard-

DSC00594.JPG.

And a final look at Reykjavik-

DSC00597.JPG.

before the gangplank is raised-

DSC00604.JPG.DSC00609.JPG.

Then comes the introduction to the Explorer.At least 80% of the passengers have been on her before though.Then comes the boat drill before we head off into the wild blue yonder.

Two months from today until our Explorer cruise! Have really enjoyed the recap of Iceland, one of our favorite destinations. Hope your cruise is / has been even more fun!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Agree strongly with JP, even tho we were in Reykjavik less than four weeks ago, wonderful to see Rejk pix again (incl the largest Protestant Church in Iceland). Drron29 and Ann have a wonderful explorer voyage and thanks for sharing your outstanding pix.

The long serving Captain of the Explorer watches as the first woman to captain a Silverseas ship takes the Explorer out-

DSC00611.JPG.

Past the Coastquard-

DSC00614.JPG.

And an old Icelandic boat-

DSC00617.JPG.

Past the Concert Hall-

DSC00618.JPG.

And locals anxious for their last look at the Explorer-

DSC00625.JPG.

And off into the Ocean we steam-

DSC00627.JPG

Our last view of the Hilton-

DSC00630.JPG.

and the church-

DSC00637.JPG.

as the pilot leaves-

DSC00638.JPG.

and Reykjavik faids from view-

DSC00639.JPG.

Of course then your mind turns to food.Had dinner with a couple from Melbourne.Good company and food.difficult to sleep that night as seas are ~4 metres.

Thursday and it is grey and overcast.Still the same swell.Lectures on Arctic birds and the history of Iceland.Seemed rather routine-drinking by age 3,first murder at age 7 nothing out of the ordinary.

Then lunch and after the mandatory zodiac briefing.Apparently even world champion zodiac paddlers have to attend.Then an afternoon snooze-need to get a bit of energy for dinner.

Dinner was nice,not great.Feature was that the swell had increased to 6-7 metres and plates went sliding across the table at times.Sleep was difficult with things sliding of tables,drawers sliding out.Even packing things away in a cupboard didn't work-it opened and everything spread across the room again.

I want to end this post in the manner of Colonel Wes.A great idea of his to profile staff.Samuel is our room attendant and the first in this series-

DSC00787.JPG.

That smile never goes.He first joined Silverseas on the first of July 1996 on the Cloud which remains a favourite of his.He previously worked for This is his first time on the Explorer.He works 6 months contracts.Lives in Manilla where his wife and 2 children live.His oldest child is 19.

I should proofread my posts.Before SS Samuel worked on Seabourn ships.

And today thanks to the skill of Captain Maggi and her crew we got a close up look at many walrus.So one happy cruiser.

Archived