Included fine wines and spirits

Mark_K

Thought so ... :)

That translates to around a starting point of around £6.50 UK, but it has always seemed to me that wines are slightly more expensive in he US than UK and that would take them to low priced UK supermarket stuff ie around £5'ish.

It's a shame because there's an exponential improvement in quality for a little more .. particularly tax-free and in quantity.

It must have went really downhill since December and my last cruise. The wines I had ranged from £10 to £30 a bottle in the supermarket which is higher end supermarket. Also many of the wines you are unable to purchase as Silversea take over the whole vineyard. What specific wines did you drink on Silversea and when was this as it looks like you were very unlucky. Maybe they had ran out and had to pop into Lidl before they left ;)

It must have went really downhill since December and my last cruise. The wines I had ranged from £10 to £30 a bottle in the supermarket which is higher end supermarket. Also many of the wines you are unable to purchase as Silversea take over the whole vineyard. What specific wines did you drink on Silversea and when was this as it looks like you were very unlucky. Maybe they had ran out and had to pop into Lidl before they left ;)

Your pathetic and unrelenting pursuit of me is commendable.;)

Instead why not list the open £30 supermarket wines you had on your cruise?

Your pathetic and unrelenting pursuit of me is commendable.;)

Instead why not list the open £30 supermarket wines you had on your cruise?

Another personal comment when I have not done anything similar to you. Another avoidance of the question as well. I am happy now that you clearly have an agenda.

Oh and by the way I vaguely remember drinking quite a lot of this:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml?referrer=cookiesDetecting#/product/25555809 :rolleyes:

Folks, in the end wine is a very personal choice.

I have had wines that are moderately priced that we loved and others that we didn't care for. Same goes for high priced wines. Some will like a wine and other won't and the ones who like a wine someone else might not.

I think it is fair to say that the prices are moderately priced. They are not the cheapest wines and certainly not high end.

I do look at inclusive wines as an opportunity to try a range of wines that you might not try if you bought your own.

Maybe you will discover a blend of wine that you had not had before which you like and maybe you will discover a brand of wine you like. Or maybe you won't.

Many people who I know who enjoy wine often try to find new wines before they become widely discovered as often these are great buys with a moderate cost.

Keith

And had they popped into Lidl ( no I don't work for them), before they ran out they may have picked up their IWSC award champagne - Comte de Brismand. A characterful tipple that beat many brands in the IWSC challenge that often appear on posh wine lists. Or even some of their other award winning wines. I usually find it worthwhile checking my facts before opining. And talking of facts, I would be extremely interested in your £30 "supermarket wine" so that I can ask for it on my upcoming cruise. Could you be kind enough to share the name and maybe even your tasting notes.

Many thanks in advance as I am really looking forward to tickling my tastebuds with top tipple.

And had they popped into Lidl ( no I don't work for them), before they ran out they may have picked up their IWSC award champagne - Comte de Brismand. A characterful tipple that beat many brands in the IWSC challenge that often appear on posh wine lists. Or even some of their other award winning wines. I usually find it worthwhile checking my facts before opining. And talking of facts, I would be extremely interested in your £30 "supermarket wine" so that I can ask for it on my upcoming cruise. Could you be kind enough to share the name and maybe even your tasting notes.

Many thanks in advance as I am really looking forward to tickling my tastebuds with top tipple.

I am a regular drinker of Lidl wine as well, one of my favourites is the Chenin Blanc and one of the best value out there. Have you tried Aldi as well. Very similar wine but even cheaper. The cost of wine is irrelevant as long as you enjoy it. I wouldn't therefore be too concerned about the cost, but the suggestion that Silversea offer cheap supermarket wine is laughable. I have already posted an example but I do not go in for tasting notes. As long as you enjoy it, it is fine by me. I also prefer a lovely vodka, and can recommend Pinky in the UK if you like that sort of thing.

I am a regular drinker of Lidl wine as well, one of my favourites is the Chenin Blanc and one of the best value out there. Have you tried Aldi as well. Very similar wine but even cheaper. The cost of wine is irrelevant as long as you enjoy it. I wouldn't therefore be too concerned about the cost, but the suggestion that Silversea offer cheap supermarket wine is laughable. I have already posted an example but I do not go in for tasting notes. As long as you enjoy it, it is fine by me. I also prefer a lovely vodka, and can recommend Pinky in the UK if you like that sort of thing.

At the risk of being accused of going "off topic" could I just say that I have joined the ranks of the aspirational thrifters and am forever searching for diamonds among the dross. Both Lidl and Aldi occasionally yield some gems. Eg Lidl Baturicca Gran Reserva 2006 - try it if you can find ; but I may have depleted stocks.

Back firmly on topic, now what was that £30 supermarket price wine you had on Silversea?

OK, let me try again. What was the £30 " higher end supermarket" wine that you had from the complementary wine list?

Was it perhaps Mythique ( from Languedoc) or was it mythical?

And perhaps you could share the names of the whole vineyards that Silversea has " taken over". I have heard that cruise lines sometimes buy in bulk from vineyards (and get a heavy discount) but not what you are suggesting.

Thanks

OK, let me try again. What was the £30 " higher end supermarket" wine that you had from the complementary wine list?

Was it perhaps Mythique ( from Languedoc) or was it mythical?

And perhaps you could share the names of the whole vineyards that Silversea has " taken over". I have heard that cruise lines sometimes buy in bulk from vineyards (and get a heavy discount) but not what you are suggesting.

Thanks

I think Connlach is referring to the Heidsieck Monopole that the link shows is currently £29.75 at Asda.

As for the vineyard that Silversea has 'taken over', I believe that may be a slight misunderstanding. IIRC, there's an NZ sauvignon blanc that SS had bottled (ie labelled) specifically for onboard the ships, but as far as I'm aware they haven't taken over whole vineyards.

Connlach if I've misunderstood that, please do tell us more about these vineyards. I haven't sailed with SS for over a year so things may well have changed and I'd like to hear more about this.

My opinion on SS included wines is that they are generally of slightly better quality than those offered on Seabourn, but most would retail here (UK today for me!) for around £7.99 - £9.99 a bottle. Again, my opinion only, they are not what I consider to be fine wine.

I think Connlach is referring to the Heidsieck Monopole that the link shows is currently £29.75 at Asda.

He was specifically talking about wines not champagne and seems unable to list any wines he says has had that were priced at £30 in a UK supermarket.

Instead he pointed to the full price of the Monopole.

As you know few people pay the full price for champagne in the UK and this is on offer regularly between £12 and £15 and it is currently being sold widely for £20 - not £30.

eg http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?N=8129+8065+4294967012&pageSize=max&id=250346980&gclid=CPyZv4Dc27gCFbQetAod0nEA4w

And as you know Tesco=Free Flights .......:)

As for the vineyard that Silversea has 'taken over', I believe that may be a slight misunderstanding. IIRC, there's an NZ sauvignon blanc that SS had bottled (ie labelled) specifically for onboard the ships, but as far as I'm aware they haven't taken over whole vineyards.

Connlach if I've misunderstood that, please do tell us more about these vineyards. I haven't sailed with SS for over a year so things may well have changed and I'd like to hear more about this.

My opinion on SS included wines is that they are generally of slightly better quality than those offered on Seabourn, but most would retail here (UK today for me!) for around £7.99 - £9.99 a bottle. Again, my opinion only, they are not what I consider to be fine wine.

Thanks for this. Perhaps connlach would care to respond also as he appears to be online at the moment.

As to your comments about Seabourn wines being inferior, I certainly agree. I have sailed with them many times and on our last cruise the quality was generally poor. But the peasants have revolted ( see Seabourn threads if interested) and apparently Seabourn has taken steps to improve quality of late.

And just a word to the wise, it is current practice in Oz and New Zealand for example to ship wine in bulk to be bottled in the importing country (to save on the cost of transporting bottles.) Not necessarily a bad thing; but eonophiles may wish to check the very ( very!) small print on labels to check the provenance of the wine. Applies particularly to a significant number of UK supermarket wines imported from the Antipodes.

He was specifically talking about wines not champagne and seems unable to list any wines he says has had that were priced at £30 in a UK supermarket.

Instead he pointed to the full price of the Monopole.

As you know few people pay the full price for champagne in the UK and this is on offer regularly between £12 and £15 and it is currently being sold widely for £20 - not £30.

eg http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?N=8129+8065+4294967012&pageSize=max&id=250346980&gclid=CPyZv4Dc27gCFbQetAod0nEA4w

And as you know Tesco=Free Flights .......:)

Its a poor response. Here is a fact for you. The Oxford English definition of champagne:

a white sparkling wine from Champagne.

So you are wrong, I was specifically talking about wine I was drinking on board which ranged from £10 to £30 as I have proven. Shame you have been unable to do the same.

Thanks for the info Nigella. The sommelier advised that they now purchase whole vineyards as this is the best value way for them to purchase large quantities of stock. I was basing the information on what he told me but whether it is completely true I am not sure. I agree with what you say about wine cost and the point I was making that it was a ridiculous statement from the previous poster to say they are cheap supermarket wine. Ultimately the cost is irrelevant as long as you enjoy it anyway!

Its a poor response. Here is a fact for you. The Oxford English definition of champagne:

So you are wrong, I was specifically talking about wine I was drinking on board which ranged from £10 to £30 as I have proven. Shame you have been unable to do the same.

You picked an argument with me when I talked about wines costing around £6.50. You knew full well we were not discussing champagne - you are not aware of any champagne on offer at£6.50 as you well know. Nor indeed were we discussing port or sherry etc.....

You talked about wine at supermarket prices of £30. I think we were all clear what argument you were picking and you didn't clarify it at any point over the last couple of days when you've been on-line when it was clear we were waiting to hear about it.

Basically - apart from the £20 champagne you haven't been served any complimentary wine at the supermarket price point of £30 have you?

Thanks for the info Nigella. The sommelier advised that they now purchase whole vineyards as this is the best value way for them to purchase large quantities of stock. I was basing the information on what he told me but whether it is completely true I am not sure.

I fear you may have been mizzled. Yes many cruiselines buy in bulk to get substantial discounts. But owning vineyards themselves - implausible( IMHO). I guess he may have been selling you porkies ( or should that be Pinkys).

Without descending into a debate around semantics, could you witness for us ( other than Heidseck Monopole) just a few of the £10 upwards supermarket high enders that Silversea offered you on your cruise. Just as a guide to know what to ask for on my upcoming cruise.

Oh, en passant , the Heidseck champers has previously been widely available in UK supermarkets at pricepoint £14.99 or even lower. A realistic price for its quality ( again IMHO).

Salud

I fear you may have been mizzled. Yes many cruiselines buy in bulk to get substantial discounts. But owning vineyards themselves - implausible( IMHO). I guess he may have been selling you porkies ( or should that be Pinkys).

Without descending into a debate around semantics, could you witness for us ( other than Heidseck Monopole) just a few of the £10 upwards supermarket high enders that Silversea offered you on your cruise. Just as a guide to know what to ask for on my upcoming cruise.

Oh, en passant , the Heidseck champers has previously been widely available in UK supermarkets at pricepoint £14.99 or even lower. A realistic price for its quality ( again IMHO).

Salud

It is the first person I've ever heard who orders the house wine and is upset when champagne doesn't turn up ... :D

By the way if you want a pointer to a decent champagne (our house champers!) you might want to try Bredon at Waitrose when it's on offer. Not to everyone's tast but the wife's favourite champagne is Deutz and this to us tastes close. When on half-price it is £15 and seems a decent price.

As you - I'm looking forward to hearing the (not champagne, sherry, port etc etc) complimentary wines served on SS between £10 and £30 UK supermarket prices.

It is the first person I've ever heard who orders the house wine and is upset when champagne doesn't turn up ... :D

By the way if you want a pointer to a decent champagne (our house champers!) you might want to try Bredon at Waitrose when it's on offer. Not to everyone's tast but the wife's favourite champagne is Deutz and this to us tastes close. When on half-price it is £15 and seems a decent price.

As you - I'm looking forward to hearing the (not champagne, sherry, port etc etc) complimentary wines served on SS between £10 and £30 UK supermarket prices.

Yes, tried the Bredon when on offer ( circa £14.99). Used to be supplied to W'Rose by Heidsek( interesting!) but now sourced from Lombard et Cie I believe. Quality gone down a bit ( IMHO) but that may just be my advancing years. Makes a good mock Bellini :rolleyes:

Now as to Deutz, your 'Er Indoors has good taste and mine ditto. I used to have a thing for Ayala and managed to overdose once on the French Concorde. Sadly both champers and plane are now pale imitations of their former selves.

And rapidly getting back on topic, I await the revelations about Silversea "high end supermarket wine". As I have said, this will be valuable to inform my wine choice decisions on my next Silversea cruise.

Is there anyone with recent experience of Silversea included wines who would care to bring this thread up to date?

You picked an argument with me when I talked about wines costing around £6.50. You knew full well we were not discussing champagne - you are not aware of any champagne on offer at£6.50 as you well know. Nor indeed were we discussing port or sherry etc.....

You talked about wine at supermarket prices of £30. I think we were all clear what argument you were picking and you didn't clarify it at any point over the last couple of days when you've been on-line when it was clear we were waiting to hear about it.

Basically - apart from the £20 champagne you haven't been served any complimentary wine at the supermarket price point of £30 have you?

Wrong again I am afraid. You mentioned cheap supermarket wine and mentioned a price of £5. You may want to use facts rather than bully tactics. As you have also failed to note the previous Oxford English definition here it is again for you:

I have put it in bold if you missed it last time. I was referring to Monopole which is £30 in supermarkets. It may be on sale sometimes, how do I know. I referred to the cost in my local supermarket when I checked. Had it been available for less in my supermarket I would have said £10 to £20 as I stick to facts unlike you.

I will check my notes on the other wines and confirm. In the meantime can you please supply a list of wines that you were served on Silversea and are available at an RRP of £5.

I look forward to this information rather than avoidance as usual.

Yes, tried the Bredon when on offer ( circa £14.99). Used to be supplied to W'Rose by Heidsek( interesting!) but now sourced from Lombard et Cie I believe. Quality gone down a bit ( IMHO) but that may just be my advancing years. Makes a good mock Bellini :rolleyes:

Now as to Deutz, your 'Er Indoors has good taste and mine ditto. I used to have a thing for Ayala and managed to overdose once on the French Concorde. Sadly both champers and plane are now pale imitations of their former selves.

And rapidly getting back on topic, I await the revelations about Silversea "high end supermarket wine". As I have said, this will be valuable to inform my wine choice decisions on my next Silversea cruise.

Is there anyone with recent experience of Silversea included wines who would care to bring this thread up to date?

To be completely frank - when SS moved over to Monopole we gave up on the champers. It is currently what they put as standard small bottles in the mini-bars in the Intercontinentals which we can drink for free - but ask them to substitute any other drinks or wine (not champagne ;) ) they want.

I guess it's taste but we dislike it.

Deutz comes up so rarely on offer and it's normally (I think) around £35. I hadn't noticed the change to the Bredon supplier and I must admit I'm hoping it hasn't gone "down" too much in quality.

Our last SS wine experience seemed to be that they were buying shed loads of rather deep yellow over-oaked Australian Chardonnay. I think there was an over supply just as it started to become much less fashionable.

I don't like chardonnay at the best of times but do not enjoy any oaky whites. I think from recall the best of the rest was some very cheap pinot grigios and some other Orvietto.

If you are after a white that is very cheap, our current "house white" is Pecheur (Cuvee Pecheur Vin de Pays du Comte Tolosan ) a Provence blend that it exactly the sort of stuff you drink in the South of France. Really bone dry and suitable for very cold and only £4.99. We buy a load at a time and just reach for it every day. Why compl;icate life with choices when you find something cheap that you really love? Our current Rose is Domaine de Buganay Provence Rose at £9.99 but often with a bit off. It reminds me of Ott but cheaper and drier with less fruit.

We're having some today ... it is very hot but not for Ott.

Archived