Included fine wines and spirits

Mark_K

2800 hits and counting on this thread, so many readers would appear to be interested in the topic . 150 posts. Still no substantive response to the OP question.

Little helpful info about wines/ spirits on Silversea. Can count positive responses on the fingers of one hand.

So what is going on - complacency, conspiracy or cock-up. Surely not Omerta?

Where are the usual suspects who opine about anything. Where are the Serial Posters? Where are the helpful exchanges that used to be the hallmark of CC and underpinned its raison d'etre? T'was never like this on the Seabourn threads.

What am I missing? Why won't people engage?

Ok, there have been a number of excursions from the topic; but perhaps no different from other threads. And none ( so far as I am aware ) have been pulled for being "off topic".

So what's the problem - anyone know?

End of rant - I need a drink.

Bon Soir:)

Marian,

Have you simply emailed them and asked them to email you a pdf of the current wine list on your chosen ship - with the caveat that you are an adult and you an cope with the idea that the list will certainly be different when you actually board?

I wish I cold think of a reason why that's not easy peasy for them and it is very cheap customer satisfaction.

That would be puzzling.

Some have posted that they felt the wine wasn't good enough but they have been energetically shouted down with claims of really decent medium priced wines. If that is the case SS would be very keen to see those wines posted as they would attract and reassure customers.

Either the wines are really good and should be boasted about or they are so poor they don't want poential customers to see. Can't see any other alternative explanation.

[quote=UKCruiseJeff;39406368

Either the wines are really good and should be boasted about or they are so poor they don't want poential customers to see. Can't see any other alternative explanation.

Don't forget information is power. Anyhow, I will try to get a list- thanks for your sensible suggestion.

One reason we may not be getting voluntary info about wine from cruisers could be that good or bad they are consuming large volumes of the stuff. And getting rat-arsed( note to American colleagues- technical term in UK) such that they can't remember the names of the wines or maybe even their own name.

And bruv I ope it's not u spreddin the rumur that isa Gel (see post 154 above)when as u no ayes a diamond geezer. OK I calls meself MARIANH but eye MAID dat up. Ime a John Wayne sorta Marion- at leessed I Woz last time I ad a ButchersHook. I feel a biddova dipstick Rodders ( note do our American bruvvers "get" Fools and Horses?)

Don't forget information is power. Anyhow, I will try to get a list- thanks for your sensible suggestion.

One reason we may not be getting voluntary info about wine from cruisers could be that good or bad they are consuming large volumes of the stuff. And getting rat-arsed( note to American colleagues- technical term in UK) such that they can't remember the names of the wines or maybe even their own name.

And bruv I ope it's not u spreddin the rumur that isa Gel (see post 154 above)when as u no ayes a diamond geezer. OK I calls meself MARIANH but eye MAID dat up. Ime a John Wayne sorta Marion- at leessed I Woz last time I ad a ButchersHook. I feel a biddova dipstick Rodders ( note do our American bruvvers "get" Fools and Horses?)

Nope. At least not so far. But what you seem to be suggesting is that you be of the male persuasion. Truth? Had me fooled for sure. And here I was going to send you a note asking you what kind of dresses I should be bringing. Glad I didn't send off that one

And yes- "rat-arsed" is a technical/medical term that I believe I have run into, having attended many medical conferences on your side of the pond. It was often a matter of discussion- most usually in the morning sessions. After an "interesting" evening.

Before we cruised Silversea the first time, we wondered the same thing about the house pours and were eager to get a list. I contacted HQ and they sent me the Connisseurs list. They could not send me a sample list of what was available as complimentary pours on the ship which I found a bit odd. Anyway, the reason is the inventory changes quite. They always have a large stock of certain wines (the dreaded "Crusher" at the pool bar, for example). However, they pick up wine in various ports so they can't commit to what may be available and don't want to misrepresent that. Plus, since they are picking up wine in ports (which I have seen many a time in Europe waiting on the dock) HQ doesn't have a list.

I would suggest that you just tell the Sommelier what you are looking for when you are on board and he will bring you various options.

Totally off topic, sorry, but just have to say how much I love the banter between UKCruiseJeff and Mr Luxury!

So glad the link with UK1 was mentioned (and Lord of the Seas). I've been wondering about this for quite some time but didn't think I should ask. Having read some very old posts on Silversea I did wonder where UK1 and the Lord had disappeared to but had my suspicions.

Hope you both enjoy your respective holidays.

Karin

Totally off topic, sorry, but just have to say how much I love the banter between UKCruiseJeff and Mr Luxury!

So glad the link with UK1 was mentioned (and Lord of the Seas). I've been wondering about this for quite some time but didn't think I should ask. Having read some very old posts on Silversea I did wonder where UK1 and the Lord had disappeared to but had my suspicions.

Hope you both enjoy your respective holidays.

Karin

Karin,

Can't say anyfink ofeeshul like but ....

Anyway, ain't gone yet. Up and packing. No cancellations announced yet. No volcanoes. No snow. No strikes. If the car starts first time ... and if those bleedin pods at T5 are working ..... it could be a it good day ... ........:)

Thanks for the good wishes - appreciated.

Jeff

Karin,

Can't say anyfink ofeeshul like but ....

Anyway, ain't gone yet. Up and packing. No cancellations announced yet. No volcanoes. No snow. No strikes. If the car starts first time ... and if those bleedin pods at T5 are working ..... it could be a it good day ... ........:)

Thanks for the good wishes - appreciated.

Jeff

How about using your trusty Ipad to share photos of BA T5 First Class lounge ( free WiFi), the great First Class attendents on BA ( I know some of them) and Singapore. I am sure your followers would find them interesting.

Perhaps your buddy Mr Luxury could also "do a Wes" during his sojourn on the Legend - that would be fun.

I hope that you two guys being away at the same time will not mean there is radio silence from you both. Life would be dull. And " live from "postings always attract a lot of appreciation and interest on the Silversea and Seabourn threads.

Off to Weyroze to cast around for some Cuvee Pecheur.

Looking forward to the pictures:)

Well I can't ignore such a request. Piccies to follow.

We're several gallons into les Grande Bycelette....

Most of the staff in theT5 Concorde Room are from Poland. So were half of my grandparents. So Ana and I are now old friends. I asked her about her life. It transpires that she met her husband from Iraq at a bus stop on Oxford Street. She was waiting for a bus but it was late. So it seems she married a man from Iraq instead.

Boris Johnson does work in mysterious ways.

More to follow. Until ....

Well I can't ignore such a request. Piccies to follow.

We're several gallons into les Grande Bycelette....

Most of the staff in theT5 Concorde Room are from Poland. So were half of my grandparents. So Ana and I are now old friends. I asked her about her life. It transpires that she met her husband from Iraq at a bus stop on Oxford Street. She was waiting for a bus but it was late. So it seems she married a man from Iraq instead.

Boris Johnson does work in mysterious ways.

More to follow. Until ....

Jeff, this Ana in T5 is it Anorexic that skinny girl from Poland?

How about using your trusty Ipad to share photos of BA T5 First Class lounge ( free WiFi), the great First Class attendents on BA ( I know some of them) and Singapore. I am sure your followers would find them interesting.

Perhaps your buddy Mr Luxury could also "do a Wes" during his sojourn on the Legend - that would be fun.

I hope that you two guys being away at the same time will not mean there is radio silence from you both. Life would be dull. And " live from "postings always attract a lot of appreciation and interest on the Silversea and Seabourn threads.

Off to Weyroze to cast around for some Cuvee Pecheur.

I am looking forward to a complete break from the computer and any other gadgets that require concentration.

I do not usualy post when away as I like to totally unwind and switch off.

I admire people like Wes who do this blogging thing so well but often wonder how and why they take so much time out of their valuable vacation to give those of us at home a free ride along with them.

It is ofcourse very much appreciated.

I have unlimited free internet on Seabourn which my wife will use to the full but I will see how things go regarding a report.

I am looking forward to a complete break from the computer and any other gadgets that require concentration.

I do not usualy post when away as I like to totally unwind and switch off.

I admire people like Wes who do this blogging thing so well but often wonder how and why they take so much time out of their valuable vacation to give those of us at home a free ride along with them.

It is ofcourse very much appreciated.

I have unlimited free internet on Seabourn which my wife will use to the full but I will see how things go regarding a report.

A pity; but understandable - particularly given the snailmail speed on Seabourn. I usually wait to use wifi at a port of call - often in the cruise terminal is good.

Perhaps your good lady would be prepared to do us a favour and give us a flavour of the cruise by photographing and posting a picture of CC colleagues at the Meet and Greet. I guess you will be attending.

Apologies for using the Silversea thread for this communication.

Regards

I remember Bogle Chardonnay. It retails on the East Coast for about $9 a bottle. It is oaky, and I enjoyed it. There was also an Italian Rose which was fine.

These are not great wines, but certainly passable for "table wines" at lunch.

Tried the Bogle on the Spirit earlier this year and thought it was awful.

Readers may be interested to consult the 2014 Silversea brochure that has just been issued ( in the UK).

The description of included wine appears to have been downgraded from last year.

2013 brochure - "Complementary red and white wines of exceptional quality". 2014 brochure - " select wines are complimentary ...".

Am I reading too much into this? In any event, the description "fine wines" seems no longer to be de riguer.

Unless I have missed something on a quick read of the attractive and impressive 2014 brochure.

And JFI for Mr Jeff. After floundering about in Weyroze, I finally caught sight of a bottle of Pecheur. I reeled it into my basket. Will enjoy( ?) later - it certainly was bon marche.

Oh, and me mate has just sold me a case of top tipple. Chateau St Anlow 1998 - Premier Grande Crud. Comes from the Cote De Mersea, Ellesmere Port. He says it has a refineried smokey/oiley character with desirable petrolley overtones redolent of a fine Rye Sling. It has a quite distinctive Shell label.

Wanna trade for a Balthazar of Bolly?

Lubbly jubbly

Cushty Del

A pity; but understandable - particularly given the snailmail speed on Seabourn. I usually wait to use wifi at a port of call - often in the cruise terminal is good.

Perhaps your good lady would be prepared to do us a favour and give us a flavour of the cruise by photographing and posting a picture of CC colleagues at the Meet and Greet. I guess you will be attending.

Apologies for using the Silversea thread for this communication.

Regards

If only we were techies like Jeff.

I would not have a clue how to load a piccie onto CC unless I was shown.

Readers may be interested to consult the 2014 Silversea brochure that has just been issued ( in the UK).

The description of included wine appears to have been downgraded from last year.

2013 brochure - "Complementary red and white wines of exceptional quality". 2014 brochure - " select wines are complimentary ...".

Am I reading too much into this? In any event, the description "fine wines" seems no longer to be de riguer.

Unless I have missed something on a quick read of the attractive and impressive 2014 brochure.

And JFI for Mr Jeff. After floundering about in Weyroze, I finally caught sight of a bottle of Pecheur. I reeled it into my basket. Will enjoy( ?) later - it certainly was bon marche.

Oh, and me mate has just sold me a case of top tipple. Chateau St Anlow 1998 - Premier Grande Crud. Comes from the Cote De Mersea, Ellesmere Port. He says it has a refineried smokey/oiley character with desirable petrolley overtones redolent of a fine Rye Sling. It has a quite distinctive Shell label.

Wanna trade for a Balthazar of Bolly?

Lubbly jubbly

Cushty Del

T'is about time that SS and SB down play the fine wine story as I think they have been caught out.

How about using your trusty Ipad to share photos of BA T5 First Class lounge ( free WiFi), the great First Class attendents on BA ( I know some of them) and Singapore.

Seems a bit off topic for this post and also cruisecritic. Perhaps you should take this to tripadvisor.com where you will get a wider audience and it will be more helpful to those on the site.

Seems a bit off topic for this post and also cruisecritic. Perhaps you should take this to tripadvisor.com where you will get a wider audience and it will be more helpful to those on the site.

Well maybe, but I was just following precedent, there seems to be interest in travel arrangements including airport lounges viz recently photos of Ghicago Ohare and Virgin Boston.

As to pics of Singapore, I thought there might be interest in the destination for cruisers who may be calling in on one of their cruises.

Just taking advantage of a prolific contributor to CC being in places of interest with his IPad to hand.

Did you have any comment about the apparent new description of complementary wines?

On the web site they are still advertising "Complimentary beverages served throughout the ship – including fine wines, champagnes, spirits, beer, bottled water, specialty coffees and soft drinks". But as noted- that can mean most anything.

On the web site they are still advertising "Complimentary beverages served throughout the ship – including fine wines, champagnes, spirits, beer, bottled water, specialty coffees and soft drinks". But as noted- that can mean most anything.

Well then the website would seem to be misleading and inconsistent with their latest description in their 2014 brochure.

The OED and other trusted Dictioneries has "fine" meaning of very high quality when used to describe wine. By no stretch of the imagination can this adjective apply to the complimentary SS wines I have experienced - even taking into account the hyperbolic licence sometimes used by publicists.

I am not having a pop at the wines; but I would like them to be described accurately - and know what they are currently. Sadly( at least for me) recent passengers seem unwilling or unable to share this information. Perhaps they only drink from the premium list:rolleyes:

If only we were techies like Jeff.

I would not have a clue how to load a piccie onto CC unless I was shown.

Now somehow I thought that you would be;)

No probs, just ask the wife:D.

Seriously, the IT guys on SB are excellent and are always willing to sympathetically advise IT illiterates- like me. Go for it, your fans are waiting with baited breath.:)

Now somehow I thought that you would be;)

No probs, just ask the wife:D.

Seriously, the IT guys on SS are excellent and are always willing to sympathetically advise IT illiterates- like me. Go for it, your fans are waiting with baited breath.:)

Cars yes but computers no,That's why you employ someone to take care of you with those things.

Now about this lack of info coming from regular SS cruisers about wine.

you don't think that you might have caught them out also,perhaps they know nothing about wine like the management at head office.

At least SB cruisers are able to give you a complete run down on what they have drunk recently on a ship even if it was nothing like fine.

I must say that I am looking forward to pictures of the Singapore lounge and anything else that Jeff might capture during his trip.

CC is certainly not for the blinkered.

Archived