Included fine wines and spirits

Mark_K

Having lived in the tropics for 4 years- I find that most wine is not a wonderful mix with hot humid sun. Hence the enjoyment of a very light, barely alcoholic, and just slightly fizzy drink that I usually prefer to beer. You are welcome to make fun of it.

No,it fact it is a sad occasion to see you posting this. :(

Then you have been fortunate or smart( or both) in choosing your cruise line.

At the risk of being considered a pedant may I slightly correct the name - it should be Vinho Verde. The wine comes from the Minho area in northern Portugal.

The accent is on the nho in Vinho

Actually, I quite like it;)

Yes, I am aware of the correct spelling, but autocorrect stricks again. Actually, this summer has been too cool in Oklahoma to enjoy it much. The temp needs to be above 100F to appreciate vino verde (autocorrect did it again).

Having lived in the tropics for 4 years- I find that most wine is not a wonderful mix with hot humid sun. Hence the enjoyment of a very light, barely alcoholic, and just slightly fizzy drink that I usually prefer to beer. You are welcome to make fun of it.

Methinks it was all jest in jest.

Yes Vinho Verde is a precocious yet sensitive little thing and easily bruised. Those ruffians should not make mock. I have enjoyed it/her on many occasions in tropical climes. Much better than that Pinot Grimio - yuck:(

But I also appreciate a larger lager when its hot ( the weather not the beer). But sans C2H5OH - not for me. What beer is best for you?

Methinks it was all jest in jest.

Yes Vinho Verde is a precocious yet sensitive little thing and easily bruised. Those ruffians should not make mock. I have enjoyed it/her on many occasions in tropical climes. Much better than that Pinot Grimio - yuck:(

But I also appreciate a larger lager when its hot ( the weather not the beer). But sans C2H5OH - not for me. What beer is best for you?

I do realize that but thanks for checking.

We had two choices for beer- Bud (in a variety of styles) or San Miguel from the Phillipines. SM was by far the only drinkable one. Once in a great while we could get a Corona.

Here stateside I am quite fond of the Russian River sour beers- especially the ones with currents or sour cherries. But at a far higher price than most medium priced wines they are a treat, not a daily experience.

Yes,to each his own.

The World is your Lobster

Another nippy riposte. You sound like a hard man Mr Jeff. Oh sorry , Mr Lux - a natural mistake. Or as our French freres say "un hom ard."

And quickly getting back fully onto topic, what do you prefer with your Homaridae tail? I know your close friend Mr Jeff is averse to chardonnay with treebark in it; but what about you? A good Cote de Beaune with my crustacean works for me. Unlikely to be on the Silversea included list of course.:(. Anyone know whats in the included list that would suit?)

And en passant, have you sailed Seabourn and tried their Nigerian Shrimp? Like prawns on steroids - gigantic critters. Much better than lobster ( IMHO). Apologies to Silversea stalwarts; but Seabourn does have the edge here as with their caviar on demand. Is caviar currently available to purchase on Silversea?

We had two choices for beer- Bud (in a variety of styles) or San Miguel from the Phillipines. SM was by far the only drinkable one. Once in a great while we could get a Corona.

Here stateside I am quite fond of the Russian River sour beers- especially the ones with currents or sour cherries. But at a far higher price than most medium priced wines they are a treat, not a daily experience.

We have a passable San Miguel on draft here in the UK ( brewed here)but it is a pale imitation of the real thing.

Last year in Florida, I drank Yeungling on draft and really enjoyed it and I am quite fond of Sam Adams.( the beer that is)

I still remember a monster hangover caused by sampling fruit flavoured beers in hostelries around the Grand Place in Brussels. Full of viamin C( good) and high in alcohol ( very, very bad):(

Thanks for sharing.

We have a passable San Miguel on draft here in the UK ( brewed here)but it is a pale imitation of the real thing.

Last year in Florida, I drank Yeungling on draft and really enjoyed it and I am quite fond of Sam Adams.

I still remember a monster hangover caused by sampling fruit flavoured beers in hostelries around the Grand Place in Brussels. Full of viamin C( good) and high in alcohol ( very, very bad):(

Thanks for sharing.

I do rather like the Sam Adams Summer ale. And not sure that the Russian River sour beers are much like fruit flavoured beers- they are very much a category of their own I think.

Of course- the UK has lots of interesting beers- over all so much better than the majority of off the shelf beers here in the states, even flat and warm.;)

If ever you get to try Paulaner Hell it is a really special pilsner style Munich beer that tastes as though it is a draft beer but from the bottle. Strangely it improves when around 6 months past it's use by date and develops a very fine mousse head. Sort of Guinness consistency mousse. It is a genuinely different beer that I have found nothing comes close.

If you like British Ales you may want to keep your eye out for Admiral. It tastes like a golden daft English Bitter but from a bottle. Stunning beer.

In fact these are the only two beers we drink at home.

I do rather like the Sam Adams Summer ale. And not sure that the Russian River sour beers are much like fruit flavoured beers- they are very much a category of their own I think.

Of course- the UK has lots of interesting beers- over all so much better than the majority of off the shelf beers here in the states, even flat and warm.;)

I'm not a beer drinker, so for me the best thing about our beers are the inventive names. sheep shaggers bitter, fungal toenail mild etc :D

I'm with marianh on this one.

Am sipping a Drouhin Clos des Mouches 2009 as I type...now just wish I had the homard to accompany it.....

You win. But it probably isn't 93 degrees out with the sun blaring down I suspect.

Can I please be Cassandra? Is it a chandelier or blow up dolls? Too lazy to reach for the remote...

Sadly she who must be obeyed has switched channels - "Casualty" dam it. Discretion dictates that I do not argue - unless I want to appear in the programme.:rolleyes:

I'm not a beer drinker, so for me the best thing about our beers are the inventive names. sheep shaggers bitter, fungal toenail mild etc :D

Should anyone think that the names you cite are an invention, here is a small selection of ales currently available in the UK. Any American cousins visiting these shores may wish to seek them out. Names in parentheses are the brewers.

Friggin in the Riggin ( Nelson), Cornish Knocker (Skinners),Hairy Helmet (Leatherbritches) , Old Thumper( Ringwood) ,Rusty Rivet (Shepherds),Kilt Lifter (Oban),Sneck Lifter (Jennings), Foxs Nob ( Highgate), Old Peculiar ( Theakstons),Old Tom (Robertsons), Old Speckled Hen(Marstons),Old Hooky ( Hook Norton),Piddle in the Hole( Wyre Piddle), Coffin Polisher (Tadworth), Waggle Dance( Vaux),Rosey Nosey (Batemans), Miss America (Batemans),Grumpy Bastard (Brandon), Strongarm (Camerons), Kiss me Kate (Castle Rock), Little Willie ( Dorset Piddle), Dogs Bollocks (Eagle),Grim Reaper( Hampshire),Bushy Beaver (Palmers), Old Slapper ( Palmers) anon, and on....

Some of the names may suffer in translation as they traverse the pond.

Just a bit of fun for a quiet Saturday night:)

Cheers

I'm with marianh on this one.

Am sipping a Drouhin Clos des Mouches 2009 as I type...now just wish I had the homard to accompany it.....

Impressive, now that really is a "fine" wine.

Hmm, you are clearly a high flyer.

Another nippy riposte. You sound like a hard man Mr Jeff. Oh sorry , Mr Lux - a natural mistake. Or as our French freres say "un hom ard."

And quickly getting back fully onto topic, what do you prefer with your Homaridae tail?

I tend to pair a Puligny Montrachet or Meursault or even a Chassagne Montrachet with Lobster,the richer the dish the bigger the wine.

I do sometimes drink a Champagne with Lobster normally a Bollinger RD or a Pol Roger Cuvee Winston Churchill or an older Dom P.

If the lobster is in a light salad a Sancerre or a Reisling from Alsace like Hugel.

Impressive, now that really is a "fine" wine.

Hmm, you are clearly a high flyer.

Sadly no high flying here - it was just the dregs of a bottle I'd opened for supper guests on Friday. ;)

Those beer names gave me a giggle. 'I'd like half a grumpy bastard please' :D

Jeff! :D

I watched a little Del and Rodders last night too...it was the one where they'd won a holiday to Spain but Rodders had to pretend to be a child.

Great episode!

We're away for nearly three weeks but they're all programmed for the Slingbox plus we have all back episdoes of Mrs Browns Boys ... and all Father Ted ... one never tires it seems.

Archived