Included fine wines and spirits

Mark_K

Thank you Jeff for the white wine tip,do you buy it in the UK or ship it back in the transit from Calais?

Can't get that Only Fools and Horses episode out of my mind.

It's on sale delivered from Oado at £4.99 and sometimes they make a mistake and include it in quantity discounts. It simply remands us of St Jean ... and The Sloop ...

They had the Chandelier episode of Only fools last week on TV ... the funniest moment of all time on TV ....

It's on sale delivered from Oado at £4.99 and sometimes they make a mistake and include it in quantity discounts. It simply remands us of St Jean ... and The Sloop ...

They had the Chandelier episode of Only fools last week on TV ... the funniest moment of all time on TV ....

Thanks Jeff,i will Sloop of to the Ocada website to investigate.

I saw the shooting party episode this week including the Opera scene.

Reminds me, I must check if that ice cream stain has been removed from the lapel of my cream tux jacket.:)

No - thanks for the offer - I think our business here is done. ;)

Good. No more handbags at dawn then ;)

As often happens, these exchanges have shed rather more heat than light. Readers will no doubt draw their own conclusions.

Going forward ( :eek:) may I repeat my plea for anyone with knowledge of the current listings of included wine on Silversea to kindly share with the CC Community. No need for speculation on supermarket price points. At least for me, as I know enough about the wine trade to make an inspired guess.

You can lower pistols Gentlemen and stand down.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the Pecheur. Will go fishing.

Good. No more handbags at dawn then ;)

As often happens, these exchanges have shed rather more heat than light. Readers will no doubt draw their own conclusions.

Going forward ( :eek:) may I repeat my plea for anyone with knowledge of the current listings of included wine on Silversea to kindly share with the CC Community. No need for speculation on supermarket price points. At least for me, as I know enough about the wine trade to make an inspired guess.

You can lower pistols Gentlemen and stand down.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the Pecheur. Will go fishing.

I do like the idea of drawing handbags at dawn ....:D

Thanks Jeff,i will Sloop of to the Ocada website to investigate.

I saw the shooting party episode this week including the Opera scene.

Reminds me, I must check if that ice cream stain has been removed from the lapel of my cream tux jacket.:)

I'm sort of sheepish about admitting ... but the Pecheur is I think our favourite white of all time pretty much. I say sheepish because the price must demonstrate a complete lack of finesse on my part. I happen to like very light uncomplicated whites and this is to me perfect. You know a white you choose when sitting down 'south" beside the waters edge when everything seems perfect - but it never tastes the same when you get back? Well this is it.

You may have seen yesterday the rather delightful love post. Evidently you and I are the same person. :eek: I was flattered but I guess it might not work the other way .....:)

Sloping off without answering a question again on yet another thread? ;)

Pots.

Please desist.

And please read the CC guidelines and let us move on.

Unless of course you have contemporary information about wines currently being offered ( as included wines) on Silversea, in which case please share.

Continuing internecine warfare helps nobody and oft times damages the combatants. And can result in punitive sanctions ( see guidelines).

Offered in the true spirit of camaraderie that is the hallmark of CC.

Ok I'm donning my hard hat and taking a risk to post here! ;)

marianh- without wishing to take the thread too far off topic, we were on the Sojourn last month. I would agree that some of the included wines are better than the selection available even 6 months ago. The reds still need further improvement though.

Connlach - I think sometimes things get 'lost in translation' with the Sommeliers. My husband is in the wine business - sorry, I mean champagne business -and he was fascinated when the sommelier told us that the vineyard in question belonged to SS. Further 'interrogation' led him to realise that wasn't the case at all.

and back to the stuff made in Champagne, I'm glad to see some fellow Deutz fans here.

Now I think I need one of those Babychams that Mr L was offering around earlier.

And even though we've seen it around 10 times and know exactly what is going to happen, it is still funny. "Brace yourself Rodney" :D

It does show the excellent taste of some here. I rarely meet people who have even heard of Deutz let alone love it. What does your husband rate highly amongst the cheaper stuff?

I would have to ask him about what's coming into the supermarkets here currently.

Of course it depends on your tastes, but certainly champagnes by Mailly are worth a try. They are among my favourites in the lower price range.

Not widely available here but for those of you in London probably quite easy to obtain. I would expect it to retail around £27 a bottle so unfortunately we're not coming in under £20 on this one. All their offerings are Grand Cru, with Brut Réserve being the entrance level wine. It's pinot noir heavy though so not to everyone's taste.

If you're ever in the Reims/Epernay area, definitely worth a visit to them.

I'll ask hubby for some lower priced recommendations when I speak to him. He's definitely the expert, not me. I just know what I like the taste of!

marianh- without wishing to take the thread too far off topic, we were on the Sojourn last month. I would agree that some of the included wines are better than the selection available even 6 months ago. The reds still need further improvement though.

Our last sojourn on the Sojourn ( a while ago) turned up some interesting complementary wines.

Laga de Bouza Albarino

Masi Alghieri Sangiovese

Roc de lussac St Emilion GC

Arrowood Cab Sauv

We polished off all of the Arrowood:)

All of these at supermarket price point circa $20 I would guess and the Arrowood considerably more

The creme de la creme was a Masi Amarone. Before you get too jealous we had to pay for it:(. Actually the spend your own money list had surprisingly low "mark ups" on some wines.

I understand the quality took a nose dive after that but has recently come on an upward trajectory.

Just a bit worried that this thread is in danger of becoming too UKcentric.

So once again, please does anyone have information about what is currently offered gratuit on Silversea.

Slainte Mhath

PS I just remembered another - Chateau St Amand Sauternes - a real sweety

Our last sojourn on the Sojourn ( a while ago) turned up some interesting complementary wines.

Laga de Bouza Albarino

Masi Alghieri Sangiovese

Roc de lussac St Emilion GC

Arrowood Cab Sauv

We polished off all of the Arrowood:)

All of these at supermarket price point circa $20 I would guess and the Arrowood considerably more

The creme de la creme was a Masi Amarone. Before you get too jealous we had to pay for it:(. Actually the spend your own money list had surprisingly low "mark ups" on some wines.

I understand the quality took a nose dive after that but has recently come on an upward trajectory.

Just a bit worried that this thread is in danger of becoming too UKcentric.

So once again, please does anyone have information about what is currently offered gratuit on Silversea.

Slainte Mhath

Managed to dig up some notes but whether still offered I am unsure.

This was a decent red:

http://www.virginwines.co.uk/AST/wines/PRD~C06313/Chateau-La-Fleur-Bellevue-2009.jsp

and this was one of the whites:

http://www.wineandco.co.uk/domaine-lebrun-pouilly-fume-2011-11428-uk-liv-uk.html

I hope you appreciate my attempt to answer the questions asked which I have done the whole way through the thread unlike others. I look forward to hearing about some of the other wines on offer shortly.

Connlach - I think sometimes things get 'lost in translation' with the Sommeliers. My husband is in the wine business - sorry, I mean champagne business -and he was fascinated when the sommelier told us that the vineyard in question belonged to SS. Further 'interrogation' led him to realise that wasn't the case at all.

and back to the stuff made in Champagne, I'm glad to see some fellow Deutz fans here.

Now I think I need one of those Babychams that Mr L was offering around earlier.

Thanks Nigella for the information. I will make sure I question them further next time. He gave us a free bottle of wine (not sparking wine :)) of the premium list to drink in Le Champagne and we are still not sure why. He must have liked us!

You may be amused at "someone with a similar sense of humour" posted some time ago about how to get the best wine out of Silversea without a wine list.

No name - no pack drill .....;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com./showthread.php?t=179754

People thought it fun at the time ....

You may be amused at "someone with a similar sense of humour" posted some time ago about how to get the best wine out of Silversea without a wine list.

No name - no pack drill .....;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com./showthread.php?t=179754

People thought it fun at the time ....

Oh so true.

But I have found polite persistence pays eventually.

Alternatively the Geldof technique has been known to be effective - " Give me your expletive deleted winelist" ( a la Live Aid). Not recommended because you may get the wine you deserve rather than the one you ordered. And Montezumas revenge.

Let's try a different tack - Any friends across the pond who can shed light on Silversea's current " free pours"? Or anyone anywhere?

Archived