new promises in HAL brochure.

dr.dawg

hi, cc friends -- and 'enemies' alike. before you bash me, let me say i received the new HAL brochure yesterday. the one explaining the explore4 'initiative'. what an over-hyped piece of tree-wasting. first, on page 55 is the headline ' spectacular rewards for doing what you love.' just what are these 'spectacular rewards?' free laundry -- i am a 4-star -- ok what else? i always get a 'free' pinnacle meal from my ta and some wine in my room. and those mags they send 'free' are nothing but ads. what is so 'spectacular'? seond, on the fabulous 'new initiative.' i guess the proposed 'beverage package' might appeal to some -- but it is not included on carib cruises; the free restaurant dinner might also appeal to some, but a lot of us get discounts anyway. i cannot comment on reduced prices for extra people in a stateroom or reduced deposit. for myself, if i can't afford the deposit, i can't afford the cruise. third, best' news is under 'savor.' the 'on location program' -- never saw this; 'regionally inspired cuisine' -- what? how about regional wines? and 'canaletto offering unique menu' and in a 'refined setting?' i mean, poor pseudo-italian food in a corner of the lido??????' and not even any chianti? and, finally, under the 'superb' heading; 'two expert servers per table in Main Dining Room to ensure perfectly orchestrated service' really. there are a lot of folks out there who have not lately experienced this 'perfectly orchestrated service.'

wow, HAL must be taking a cue from that well-worn P.T. Barnum quote or 'mis`quote about a sucker being born every minute. just curious, how many of you people have experienced this level of service on Hal recently? i'm sure some have, maybe. but isn't the brochure a bit over the line? and what if a non-experienced cruiser jumps on board and finds this is not true?

a wonderful boss and mentor i once had in Philadelphis used the phrase ,' all smoke and no roast.' HAL has become an expert at this. all smoke, and no roast. so sad to see. 'death by a thousand cuts.'

i threw the brochure away, with its high prices for 'mariners,' and silly

incentive program. i may be old, and sometimes a fool, but i am NOT an old fool.

All of these new promises come at a cost as well. HAL rates have increased substantially for 2014 to cover these "perks". Nothing is free.

You are right.

We booked a cruise at the end of June. Our TA spent 3 days with HAL trying to get a straight answer concerning this new Explore4 program.

As it turns out we don't qualify as our cruise had gone up $600 per person.

oh, i agree vjh. then, why not just get it done and over with? change the wine and soda policies, change and upgrade the wine list, reduce alcohol prices, and sooooo much more. add back the beautiful flowers, the extra staff, and truly have a 'premium' cruise product, with a holland ambience and some menus and traditions, and good entertainment. and charge more for the unique experience? and 'ride it out' and with increased staff and crew? i bet they won't lose more customers this way than they will, and have, by such stupid and low-class cuts and deceits as they have done recently. HAL needs to abandon their wal-mart marketing tactics. or they will BE k-mart and penny's -- not even walmart.

hi, cc friends -- and 'enemies' alike. before you bash me, let me say i received the new HAL brochure yesterday. the one explaining the explore4 'initiative'. what an over-hyped piece of tree-wasting. first, on page 55 is the headline ' spectacular rewards for doing what you love.' just what are these 'spectacular rewards?' free laundry -- i am a 4-star -- ok what else? i always get a 'free' pinnacle meal from my ta and some wine in my room. and those mags they send 'free' are nothing but ads. what is so 'spectacular'? seond, on the fabulous 'new initiative.' i guess the proposed 'beverage package' might appeal to some -- but it is not included on carib cruises; the free restaurant dinner might also appeal to some, but a lot of us get discounts anyway. i cannot comment on reduced prices for extra people in a stateroom or reduced deposit. for myself, if i can't afford the deposit, i can't afford the cruise. third, best' news is under 'savor.' the 'on location program' -- never saw this; 'regionally inspired cuisine' -- what? how about regional wines? and 'canaletto offering unique menu' and in a 'refined setting?' i mean, poor pseudo-italian food in a corner of the lido??????' and not even any chianti? and, finally, under the 'superb' heading; 'two expert servers per table in Main Dining Room to ensure perfectly orchestrated service' really. there are a lot of folks out there who have not lately experienced this 'perfectly orchestrated service.'

wow, HAL must be taking a cue from that well-worn P.T. Barnum quote or 'mis`quote about a sucker being born every minute. just curious, how many of you people have experienced this level of service on Hal recently? i'm sure some have, maybe. but isn't the brochure a bit over the line? and what if a non-experienced cruiser jumps on board and finds this is not true?

a wonderful boss and mentor i once had in Philadelphis used the phrase ,' all smoke and no roast.' HAL has become an expert at this. all smoke, and no roast. so sad to see. 'death by a thousand cuts.'

i threw the brochure away, with its high prices for 'mariners,' and silly

incentive program. i may be old, and sometimes a fool, but i am NOT an old fool.

Not a flame, just some alternate observations: What cruise line doesn't over hype the experience showing glam shots of stylishly svelte people dressed and laughing like you never see actually onboard? Look around. However, I agree their marketing hype does set up some people for disappointment so all cruise lines could dial this back a bit.

If HAL is offering amenities to all passengers that you currently get from your TA, why is this a problem? Sounds like a bonus to me since we deal directly with HAL reservations. It does undermine the TA "advantage" which may have driven HAL to do this, but sounds fair in the days of online reservations.

The Caneletto setting in the Lido is quite lovely and its menu is unique compared to the main dining room. That is a fair claim. Chianti is but one of the dozens of regional wines from Italy; no reason it should be an exclusive "Italian" offering or measurement of the Italian based Canaletto offerings.

Sorry others have had poor dinner service experiences; we have always enjoyed our two wonderful and personable waiters on every cruise so far who quickly get to know our preferences and we find we are in and out of the main dining room far quicker than in times past. Whatever the changes have been over the past few years, slower dining times has not been our experience at all.

I hope you can find another cruise line more to your liking. Best wishes.

hi, cc friends -- and 'enemies' alike.

Must you??? Is it really necessary to start out with a sledgehammer when a flyswatter wasn't even necessary???

You could have made all your points without attacking those people who were going to try to read what you had to say.

oh, i agree vjh. then, why not just get it done and over with? change the wine and soda policies, change and upgrade the wine list, reduce alcohol prices, and sooooo much more. add back the beautiful flowers, the extra staff, and truly have a 'premium' cruise product, with a holland ambience and some menus and traditions, and good entertainment. and charge more for the unique experience? and 'ride it out' and with increased staff and crew? i bet they won't lose more customers this way than they will, and have, by such stupid and low-class cuts and deceits as they have done recently. HAL needs to abandon their wal-mart marketing tactics. or they will BE k-mart and penny's -- not even walmart.

Not sure what you mean by "premium" - HAL is a middle market mainline cruise line and provides a very nice level of services and ambiance for the price. We continue to find HAL excellent value for the price. And that it has been able to hold on to as many of its former but expensive traditions like fresh flowers (still very much in evidence) and formal dinner nights (against a rising level of passenger disregard and rebellion against this event)

I am beginning to think people are not complaining about HAL as much as the changes in make-up of the modern passenger base? But that is the case in everything today - even a recent stay in a Ritz Carlton hotel was decidedly mainstream and non-elegant, when compared to its calculated marketing imagery. Old school dress-up events are virtually non-existent these days, so it is only reasonable this shows up in the cruise world too and has nothing to do with HAL marketing or management.

I am beginning to think people are not complaining about HAL as much as the changes in make-up of the modern passenger base? But that is the case in everything today - even a recent stay in a Ritz Carlton hotel was decidedly mainstream and non-elegant, when compared to its calculated marketing imagery.

Bingo!

Air travel used to be special and even elegant until "everyone" started to fly.

oh, you are right old salt. i agree that HAL is mainstream, average, and NOT premium at all. i just object to their advertising claiming they ARE premium. no need to advertise that they are 'average,' just don't claim things you do not deliver, and charge more for that. THAT is false advertising. claiming and advertising what you cannot and will not deliver. a perfectly innocent observation, that's all.

oh, you are right old salt. i agree that HAL is mainstream, average, and NOT premium at all. i just object to their advertising claiming they ARE premium. no need to advertise that they are 'average,' just don't claim things you do not deliver, and charge more for that. THAT is false advertising. claiming and advertising what you cannot and will not deliver. a perfectly innocent observation, that's all.

Doctor's orders: Ratchet down your expectations to align more with life's experiences. That is the mark of true sophistication and discernment. Cheers. :cool:

and, ruth, just who were those people who were responding to what i had to say? must have been a time lag. sorry. but who were the people i offended?

Actually I agreed with what you said. It was sad that you had to preface your remarks with a blanket insult. So, since Ruth cannot answer for me I will answer and say that I was offended. Insulting in advance is never a good idea. It takes away from what you have to say.

and, sapper, just what was 'offensive' about my reply? i only asked a question. why did you find it offensive? beause you wanted to? i don't know. i was not trying to insult anyone; i learned long ago that when writing, you often pose the question first and then state your concerns. why does this have to be 'offensive?' maybe i should have said, dear ....... i love you, i revere you, i bow to your allegiance and loyalty to HAL. in no way do i intend to offend you or even question your opinions. i am always obedient and giving of praise to everyone. i am not worthy to touch the tracks you walk on. oh, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. now does that seem better? wow.

and, sapper, just what was 'offensive' about my reply? i only asked a question. why did you find it offensive? beause you wanted to? i don't know. i was not trying to insult anyone; i learned long ago that when writing, you often pose the question first and then state your concerns. why does this have to be 'offensive?' maybe i should have said, dear ....... i love you, i revere you, i bow to your allegiance and loyalty to HAL. in no way do i intend to offend you or even question your opinions. i am always obedient and giving of praise to everyone. i am not worthy to touch the tracks you walk on. oh, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. now does that seem better? wow.

that would have made it even more offensive.

You opened with - hi CC friends and 'enemies'. how about just hi cc - or hi cc friends.

In any case, you revel in this I think. You would find more posted in agreement if you would just be pleasant:D

If you have to ask the question you would not understand the answer. ;)

Sarcasm to this degree will get you no where. I have agreed with you on many postings in past but I think you crossed the line on this reply. A simple I did not mean to offend anyone would be sufficient. Instead, you showed disrespect to Sapper1 who always shows positive remarks and comments on CC. I think I will skip your postings in the future.

no, old salt. that is the mark of 'giving up.' and 'giving in' and 'wimpy' and 'surrender'. and abandoning standards and expectations.' sorry.

Yeah, I feel the same way about abandoning formal night dress guidelines. Keep calm and carry on, bucky. :( It is just a cruise.

It is just a cruise line, drdawg. Not your parents or grandparents, or your dissertation master. Just a cruise. Just a few weeks on the water for some degree of travel enjoyment. Western civilization will rise and fall on other matters; not HAL wine policies or numbers of MDR waiters. The animal spirits of the marketplace still rule. Life is good. Woof. I am sending a complimentary bottle of Veuve Cliquot Yellow Label to your ISP ASAP. Enjoy. :cool:

Archived