Tips for Bringing Wine Onboard

Yes - but if you had brought a bottle of wine on the ship and had it opened or opened it yourself on one night, didn't finish it and brought it back into the MDR with you another night I don't think you'd be charged a corkerage fee.

It does not matter that you opened it before or during, your meal. If you bring the bottle to MDR, pub, bar, wine bar, you will (if they decide to enforce their policy) be charged a corkage fee. If you had it opened in the MDR and did not finish it, they can hold it for you (they write your name on it and likely add that the fee was applied). If you did not want them to do that, I would ask your server to mark the bottle- if you plan to take that bottle to a different venue.

The corkage fee is not a fee for opening the bottle.

Edited by Brigbound

I don't know that that's true. What if you had that bottle of wine at dinner the night before and didn't finish it? Or had purchased it from another bar and drank only a portion of it another night?

Refer to my response (post #26). I didn't realize you had posed another scenario other than bringing your own wine from home. Your 2nd scenario is totally different. If you are purchasing your wine from a ship's bar, then, no, you will not incur any corkage fee whatsoever. You can bring that bottle back every night or just let them keep it for you. Either way, they know (or at least can compare against their cellar list) that the bottle was purchased on the ship.

Edited by Brigbound

I didn't mean to stir up such controversy! Well, in that case, I'll be bringing it by the glass to the MDR if I want wine with dinner. Kind of defeats the purpose for me to pay $25 for a corkage fee for wine I brought on board (and therefore already paid for...). I'd likely only have one glass anyway, so I do not benefit whatsoever from having a pre-opened bottle of wine sitting at my table!

We bought a bottle of wine in the MDR. $40. There was about two thirds of a glass left in the bottle. Waiter asked if we'd liked it saved for the next night. $10 corkage fee was added to our bill. I WAS PISSED.

We bought a bottle of wine in the MDR. $40. There was about two thirds of a glass left in the bottle. Waiter asked if we'd liked it saved for the next night. $10 corkage fee was added to our bill. I WAS PISSED.

This does not make sense to me. If you purchase wine in the MDR, there should be no corkage fee. Also, corkage fee is $25, not $10. Are you sure the $10 was not for something else?

I didn't mean to stir up such controversy! Well, in that case, I'll be bringing it by the glass to the MDR if I want wine with dinner. Kind of defeats the purpose for me to pay $25 for a corkage fee for wine I brought on board (and therefore already paid for...). I'd likely only have one glass anyway, so I do not benefit whatsoever from having a pre-opened bottle of wine sitting at my table!

No controversy. It's just nice to have accurate information conveyed instead of misinterpretations presented as fact. I'm with you as most of my wines are under $25 retail that I drink at home.

Now, if you wanted to get 'creative', you could snag yourself one of those novelty wine glasses online that fit a whole bottle's contents in and take that to the MDR!

That would be mildly frustrating.

You recognized the mistake and had it taken off, correct?

NEVER heard of anything like this. It is quite irregular.

We purchase wine in the dining room on a regular basis and leave any remaining for another evening, with no fees. A corkage fee would not be assessed in this situation.

Were you actually changed or perhaps the waiter was just kidding?

M

Also, rather than flying 2 bottles half way around the world, what do you call shops where you buy alcohol in the US? I looked on google maps for off licenses, but that didn't help me at all! Trying to see where the nearest shop to my hotel would be pre-cruise.

Usually they are called liquor stores (although in some parts of the northeast they are called package stores). Stores that specialize in wine are typically called wine shops.

Also be aware that in many states grocery stores and supermarkets are allowed to sell wine. Of the states that cruises depart from, New York State, Alaska, and Maryland don't allow wine sales in grocery stores, Massachusetts and New Jersey severely restrict it (so most stores don't carry wine), and California, Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, and Washington allow it. Puerto Rico also allows almost any store to sell wine. In states where it is prohibited or restricted, almost every supermarket will have a liquor store built nearby.

Edited by ahecht

Usually they are called liquor stores (although in some parts of the northeast they are called package stores). Stores that specialize in wine are typically called wine shops.

Thanks - liquor store brings up results, I'll give wine shops a try as well. I'll be going from Fort Lauderdale so will keep an eye out in other shops too.

Thanks - liquor store brings up results, I'll give wine shops a try as well. I'll be going from Fort Lauderdale so will keep an eye out in other shops too.

There is a Total Wine in Ft. Lauderdale that has a HUGE selection. You can "Google" them. You can pre-order and they will have it ready for you. Ther Publix grocery store also has a really good selection and YES you have to carry around your 2 bottles until the cabin is ready at 1pm. They used to let you drop stuff off in your cabin but our last few cruises this has not been allowed.

There is a Total Wine in Ft. Lauderdale that has a HUGE selection. You can "Google" them. You can pre-order and they will have it ready for you. Ther Publix grocery store also has a really good selection and YES you have to carry around your 2 bottles until the cabin is ready at 1pm. They used to let you drop stuff off in your cabin but our last few cruises this has not been allowed.

I would highly recommend the Total Wine near the port as well. Huge selection, knowledgeable staff, and free samples.

You can take wine in your carry-on or check bags. If you put the bottles in your checked bags, you take the chance that the bags will be delayed and you will have to go down to security to open the bags and allow inspection. We carry the wine on board in a tote bag.

We have brought a corkscrew in out checked bags many times. You can also get a corkscrew and wine glasses from room service or a bar.

We are flying from MIA to Heathrow and we intend to put our wine well wrapped in our stowed luggage and then transferring it to our carryon when we land. We hope that will work

No controversy. It's just nice to have accurate information conveyed instead of misinterpretations presented as fact. I'm with you as most of my wines are under $25 retail that I drink at home.

Now, if you wanted to get 'creative', you could snag yourself one of those novelty wine glasses online that fit a whole bottle's contents in and take that to the MDR!

I was not misrepresenting anything. Jeez. Its certainly not my intention to mislead anyone. I've brought wine onboard and uncorked it myself - most recently on Majesty - and brought the bottle to the MDR and was not charged anything to have glasses put on the table so that we could drink the wine. I guess each waiter/bartender will handle things differently regardless of the written policy.

Edited by mrsfecura

if you want wine, just have your cab driver stop at the Publix that you pass going to the port. At that time in the morning it only cost me an extra 5.00 to have him make the pit stop

I was not misrepresenting anything. Jeez. Its certainly not my intention to mislead anyone. I've brought wine onboard and uncorked it myself - most recently on Majesty - and brought the bottle to the MDR and was not charged anything to have glasses put on the table so that we could drink the wine. I guess each waiter/bartender will handle things differently regardless of the written policy.

I never said you were. Do you see the word 'misrepresenting' in my post you quoted? The word I used is misinterpret. Misinterpreting is what you were doing. That does not imply an intent to mislead. I'm sure you weren't doing that. Your experience is your experience. I am simply trying to clarify to the poster what the policy is and how it would be applied according to RCI. You must understand that just because you never were charged a corkage fee doesn't mean the OP won't. It's better they know the policy as well as one's own experience.

Relax and take a breath. It is just the internet. Happy cruising.

Edited by Brigbound

This is what we did several times. When you meet your stateroom attendant on the first day, simply ask for some wine glasses and a corkscrew. The wine glasses are identical to the ones that you get from a bar or in the MDR. Several nights we just walked into the MDR with a healthy pour in each of our glasses. Never asked a single time about our wine. After all, we could have been at a bar right before dinner and brought our wine in. We saw lots of people walking in with wine in a glass, so I imagine it happens a lot.

Sometimes we would leave a little bit of wine in our glass so we could walk out with the glass and bring it back to our room, so we didn't have to bother with finding our cabin attendant the next day to ask for more glasses.

Does it circumvent the RCI corkage rules? Yes. Just because we "got away with it" does it make it ok? No. Just because others are doing it does it make it right? No. I realize that. It's a money-saving option that you can choose to do or not do depending on your moral compass.

I would highly recommend the Total Wine near the port as well. Huge selection, knowledgeable staff, and free samples.

We used Total Wine when we did a 14 day TA cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. I preordered and paid for a case of wine and it was ready to pick up when we got there. We stayed at a hotel right near there the night before cruising and intended to walk over to Total Wine, but when it started to rain, the hotel provided the shuttle for us to go over there and waited while we picked up the wine and then took us back to the hotel!

All very convenient! ;)