Tips for Bringing Wine Onboard

Anyone have tips for bringing wine onboard? I'm sort of a wine newbie, so I'm game for any tips you have! :o

I've heard that it needs to be in a carry-on, rather than checked luggage. Obviously, it needs to be in a container or bag so that you can watch to make sure it doesn't get crushed.

Can you take a corkscrew? Are there travel corkscrews?

Does anyone have a great travel bag? I just ordered a picnic cooler thing from Thirty-one that should hold at least one bottle, I hope. That way I can put ice in it and sit it in the shower (in case of leaks) to chill during the day.

Anything else?

Q: Can I bring alcohol or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) on board?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring beer, spirits or non-alcoholic beverages aboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of USD 25.00. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought aboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soft drinks bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies (over consume, supply alcohol to people aged under 21, demonstrate irresponsible behaviour or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and/or luggage check points or at any other time) may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

You can take wine in your carry-on or check bags. If you put the bottles in your checked bags, you take the chance that the bags will be delayed and you will have to go down to security to open the bags and allow inspection. We carry the wine on board in a tote bag.

We have brought a corkscrew in out checked bags many times. You can also get a corkscrew and wine glasses from room service or a bar.

Edited by clarea

Two bottles of wine, bubble wrapped, stuck in my carry-on. Worked very well. Check-in didn't even check it. Yes, took a cork screw. But was offered one by the bartenders, and they even brought us wine glasses!!!!

That was on the Explorer of the Seas.

OP. I see you are sailing out of Port Canaveral. Last month the porters told us that any wine HAD to be in our carry on bags or otherwise our bags might not make it on the ship. Never heard that before, especially as we thought luggage was scanned on the ship! We've sailed from PC prior to last month and since the new wine allowance, and never heard that the bottles had to be in the carry on. We had put them in our luggage as we did not want to carry them around. They made us open the bags and take the wine with us.

I was tempted to test their claim, especially since the wine was with our snorkel gear and we could survive if they never allowed it on board. We did not chance it when we realized I had some other items in that bag we wanted to have with us.

I may test it next time to see if their claim is real or hot air.

In any case, to be on the safe side, bring it with you when you board. If you carry it on, you should be fine with normal store wrapping.

Cheers

M

Two bottles of wine, bubble wrapped, stuck in my carry-on. Worked very well. Check-in didn't even check it. Yes, took a cork screw. But was offered one by the bartenders, and they even brought us wine glasses!!!!

That was on the Explorer of the Seas.

Can you bring 4x187ml bottles as 1 bottle allowance? Or is it strictly 2 full size bottles ?:)

OP. I see you are sailing out of Port Canaveral. Last month the porters told us that any wine HAD to be in our carry on bags or otherwise our bags might not make it on the ship. Never heard that before, especially as we thought luggage was scanned on the ship! We've sailed from PC prior to last month and since the new wine allowance, and never heard that the bottles had to be in the carry on. We had put them in our luggage as we did not want to carry them around. They made us open the bags and take the wine with us.

I was tempted to test their claim, especially since the wine was with our snorkel gear and we could survive if they never allowed it on board. We did not chance it when we realized I had some other items in that bag we wanted to have with us.

I may test it next time to see if their claim is real or hot air.

In any case, to be on the safe side, bring it with you when you board. If you carry it on, you should be fine with normal store wrapping.

Cheers

M

I was ready to board at PC when they called my name and I had to walk to where my bag was, open it and let them look at my two bottles of WATER!!!

They're pretty strict there.

Pack 2 bottles in your carry on (as others have said). We chose twist top types on our last cruise so we didn't have to bother for a corkscrew. Asked our steward to get us 2 wine glasses and he kept the ice fresh in our ice bucket for our bottle(s). Piece of cake :)

We chose a double bottle, neoprene travel case. Found here:

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/accessories/travel-byo/wine-bags.asp

It's a ghastly bright green--- :D

As you can see, there are other options. We liked that it kept the two bottles individually secure in one pack. This made it easier for us to transfer the case to our carry-on prior to getting on the ship. We prefer to have the wine available sooner than waiting for our luggage. You can certainly find a cheap travel cork screw. They are available at most liquor/wine stores for a couple dollars. They are the type where the screw nests in the hollow of the handle. They are a little shorter than a pen. This fit easily in the space between the two bottles in the pack we bought. It went through ship security without any problems.

You can save time and stop at any bar and request a couple wine glasses rather than request room service or the attendant to get it for you. Your choice. ;)

If you need to chill your wine, just ask the room attendant for an additional ice bucket. I believe this can be done.

Remember that if you bring your bottle to any of the dining areas or bars, they may charge you a $25 corkage fee per bottle. I have read that some folks have been charged and others had no such experience. It is on RCI's website as policy but we all know how consistent these policies are applied and/or followed. If you bring a glass of your own wine anywhere, there is no such fee.

Hope this helps and have a great cruise!

Brig

I have a really nice padded Wine Enthusiast tote that holds to bottles that I purchased at Kohls. Using the 30% off code and free shipping helped. It has a shoulder strap and cold packs to put in it if you are using it where you can chill them. Good investment since Celebrity always you to also bring two bottles on board. We bring our own wine key and just ask for glasses.

We have the double neoprene wine bottle holder as well. I plan on putting it into a large ziplock and then a second large ziplock before putting it into my carryon. That way, in case of a spill, it son't ruin mine or anyone else's clothes, etc.

Mary Anne

If you have a C VS pharmacy nearby and purchase wine from them they will give you a canvas carry bag with a handle that you can put up to six bottles of wine in it. Great for carry-on just check at the checkout counter to make sure they have them available before you purchase the wine. Or I purchased bubble pack bags with Velcro seals that you can pack in your luggage I've done it it works. The name of the company I purchased them from is called winestuff.com .

On my last cruise, I brought 2 - 1.5 L bottles with twist off tops. Carried them in my back pack with my bathing suit wedged between them so they wouldn't bang together. Security was really nice and got a kick out of my two big bottles, but would only let me take one bottle on board. The other bottle was returned to me around 6 pm on the last night of my cruise.

It was nice to have the wine in the room - my wife and I would usually have a glass while getting dressed for dinner. Our stateroom attendant made sure we had fresh ice on it daily. The one bottle lasted the entire length of the cruise. It really did not have an impact on what we spent on alcohol, just nice to have the luxury of having wine available in the stateroom as a convenience...

Although we could have opened the second bottle on the last night, we didn't even bother. We enjoyed having drinks in various areas of the ship and didn't mind paying, even though we had a full bottle in the cabin the last night.

I think Royal caribbean made a good decision to allow the two bottles of wine to be brought onboard.

1. It was easy to carry on and security was friendly and fast.

2. It allowed us to have a wine that we prefer to drink.

3. It was convenient to have a bottle on ice at all times in the stateroom.

4. It did not affect the amount we spent on alcohol - we may have just done without a glass while getting ready for dinner, or just brought a glass from the Diamond lounge.

Once you do it (bringing the wine on board), you'll realize it's really not a big deal. I will definitely bring two 750ml*** bottles on my next cruise for the convenience.

Definitely carry on board with you - don't pack it in your luggage.

Have fun on your cruise...

- Doc

I use Wine Diapers I got from Woot. They cushion the bottle and contain enough absorbing gel to soak up an entire bottle of wine should worst come to worst.

I bought a 3 pack of wine diapers for an upcoming Med cruise! I'll want to bring home wine, olive oil, lemoncello or the like so I think they'll work out perfectly!

I have a related question. I understand the corkage fee, but would I be able to either bring an already opened bottle to the MDR or bring a glass of wine (that obviously I poured in our stateroom, but I guess the question still applies if you got wine at a random bar) to dinner in the MDR?

I have a related question. I understand the corkage fee, but would I be able to either bring an already opened bottle to the MDR or bring a glass of wine (that obviously I poured in our stateroom, but I guess the question still applies if you got wine at a random bar) to dinner in the MDR?

Yes, absolutely!

The corkage fee would still apply to your personal bottle of wine regardless of it being open before you got there. You would not be asked to pay a corkage fee for a glass of wine you brought with you that was poured from your personal bottle.

From RCI website:

< Back to Food & Beverage

Food & Beverage

Print This Page

Q: Does Royal Caribbean charge a corkage fee?

A: No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00.

If a guest receives a bottle of wine that was purchased from Gift & Gear selection, no corkage fee will apply if the bottle is consumed in any public area. If a guest receives a bottle from an outside vendor and/or travel agent, and the bottle was not purchased through our Gift & Gear selection, then a $25.00 corkage fee per bottle will apply if they wish to consume the wine in the dining room or any other public area. The fee will be applied to the guest's onboard account.

Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored onboard and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

Edited by Brigbound

The corkage fee would still apply to your personal bottle of wine regardless of it being open before you got there. You would not be asked to pay a corkage fee for a glass of wine you brought with you.

I don't know that that's true. What if you had that bottle of wine at dinner the night before and didn't finish it? Or had purchased it from another bar and drank only a portion of it another night?

I don't know that that's true. What if you had that bottle of wine at dinner the night before and didn't finish it? Or had purchased it from another bar and drank only a portion of it another night?

Only wine that you bring on the ship yourself is subject to the corkage fee.

Edited by clarea

Only wine that you bring on the ship yourself is subject to the corkage fee.

Yes - but if you had brought a bottle of wine on the ship and had it opened or opened it yourself on one night, didn't finish it and brought it back into the MDR with you another night I don't think you'd be charged a corkerage fee.

Yes - but if you had brought a bottle of wine on the ship and had it opened or opened it yourself on one night, didn't finish it and brought it back into the MDR with you another night I don't think you'd be charged a corkerage fee.

Correct, they would only charge one fee per bottle.

If you board before your cabin is ready, do you just wander around with 2 bottles of wine in your carry on with you, or is there somewhere you can leave your bag? Traveling solo, and while I fancy having "my" wine, I don't want to have to carry it around for hours :)

Also, rather than flying 2 bottles half way around the world, what do you call shops where you buy alcohol in the US? I looked on google maps for off licenses, but that didn't help me at all! Trying to see where the nearest shop to my hotel would be pre-cruise.