Amalfi Coast or Capri?

SAN

My husband and I are on a land tour and have a free time after our tour of Naples. We want to know if we should visit Capri or Amalfi Coast . Not enough time to do both and we are not going inside the Blue Grotto.

We have been to Naples the last two years and both years have asked ourselves the same question. Both times we selected the Amalfi coast and were not dissapointed. Last year we went to Salerno and took a boat from Salerno to Amalfi. This year we did the Amalfi drive.

Here are the pictures from both visits.

https://markandkareneurope2013.shutterfly.com/pictures/717

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/973

You don't have a bad choice, it depends on what you enjoy.

The Amalfi Coast is probably better for scenic views (although Capri has plenty too); the biggest downside for me is that you really need a car and driver to enjoy the coast on a port day. A day along the coast is all about moving, for me ... I am quickly bored by shopping, which means that most of the towns along the coast hold my interest for only a short while. I do enjoy walking and hiking along the coast, but that's not really a port day activity.

Capri offers a wider variety of things to see and do, for me anyway. It's easy to reach on your own and you can explore history and art, in addition to wonderful walks and hikes. There's also plenty of shopping on the island, so it's not as though you'd be giving that up by selecting Capri.

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm not a shopper either and enjoy scenic views, history and art. Hmm What to do?

Any more suggestions?

Did you happen to catch my post I made below about the Amalfi Coast?

We were suppose to go to Capri but due to a strike we could not. Instead our driver recommended the Amalfi coast, and boy were we happy!

Read this post. I included lots of pics and a video. Hopefully this will help you to see what you can expect out of the Amalfi Coast:

http://dessertationblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/thats-amore-our-day-in-pompeii-sorrento.html

One major advantage to going out to Capri (from either Naples or Sorrento) is that its very easy to do on your own without the expensive of a tour or private driver. Seeing the Amalfi Coast is best done in a small vehicle (car or van) because the large tour buses are not permitted to enter into Positano. If you adventurous and have a long day, it is possible to do the entire coast on your own by using the SITA bus (from Sorrento). If you are a bit crazy like me then you can rent a car in Naples and drive yourself to anywhere you please along the coast. That being said, we think driving is the easy part....its the parking that challenges even the most experienced travelers.

Hank

The Amalfi Coast would be a more relaxing day. Long stretches of (albeit scenic) driving plus some postcard views and pretty towns. You might want that if you've had a busy cruise or several hectic, long days of sightseeing in a row.

Capri makes for a bit more active day with more variety. People don't realize how large the island is if they just spend an hour or two there. Capri has plenty to occupy a whole day as you wish. Nice Roman ruins (my favorite, of course) but also scenery, shopping, restaurants, churches, some offbeat museums, a chairlift, a funicular, convertible taxis, and of course the Blue Grotto! :D

I have to admit I haven't done the Amalfi Coast yet, but it holds no real allure for me. It ranks low on my personal list of things to do near Naples.

We have been to Naples the last two years and both years have asked ourselves the same question. Both times we selected the Amalfi coast and were not dissapointed. Last year we went to Salerno and took a boat from Salerno to Amalfi. This year we did the Amalfi drive.

Here are the pictures from both visits.

https://markandkareneurope2013.shutterfly.com/pictures/717

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/973

Which did you like better? Trying to decide which way to see the Amalfi Coast.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done both when I was on a one-week holiday in Sorrento.

If it's a toss between the two, I would choose Amalfi Coast - the scenery is absolutely breathtaking :eek:, no wonder why it's registered as UNESCO World Heritage site!

We took a SITA bus from Sorrento. The bus leaves in front of Sorrento train station, then go to Amalfi, stopping at Positano also.

It takes approx. 1.5 hrs to Amalfi by bus (40 mins if Positano) as it makes many stops along the way - after all this is a 'local' bus.

From Amalfi we took a ferry back (quicker journey).

To me the scenery was better from the bus/driving rather than by the sea :)

I've done the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and city tour of Naples. I have to say that the Amalfi Coast is my favorite. Although this doesn't help that I've stayed in Positano and Ravello for a few days each. Both places are great.

I haven't done Capri yet and will do it next year.

Have you thought about Pompeii? Its definitely not to be missed. Maybe you can do a tour with Pompeii and Amalfi Coast. TripAdvisor has a list of tours that has been rated by others that should help.

See link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187785-Activities-c25-Naples_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html

Hopefully this can help you.

On our first Med cruises we did the Amalfi Coast with Marcello. It was an incredible experience. On our second Med cruise, we wanted to go to Capri; but when we contacted Marcello about a tour there, he discouraged us. He pointed out how crowded it was and how much more he could show us on the Amalfi coast. He finally convinced us and we were so glad he did. We saw so many gorgeous sights. He also showed us many places that most tourists don't see. On our third Med cruise, we didn't contact Marcello ahead of time, since we decided that we really did need to go to Capri. Capri was quite breathtaking in parts; but the crowds did take away from it. Additionally the ferry ride over wasn't particularly pleasant. I am so glad that we finally got to visit the beautiful island; but would sure rather go there off season; if there is an off season for Capri.

You can see lots of photos of our Amalfi coast tours and Capri visit in our reviews on our website www.thepreismans.com. Like others, I would definitely recommend the Amalfi coast for a first visit. You should also get a good tour guide that will show you real beauty of that area. If you get two other couples from your roll call to share a tour, it will be very reasonably priced. Have a great time.

Archived