Boston departure

ssimon

We live in the Syracuse New York area and are looking at the New England-Canada cruise leaving from Boston. My husband drove once in Boston and said he would never do it again! Exactly where is the ship located? Do we have to drive into downtown Boston? Is there somewhere to stay and get transportation to the ship? Thank you

From Syracuse you will take MA Turnpike, Route 90 East to the 93 interchange, exit 25 to South Boston, stay right to Haul Road - the signs to Cruiseport Boston, off Summer Street, are posted. The Massport webs site has lots of information.

Parking is at the EDIC garage, across from the pier, with reduced rates for cruise ship passengers. The auto pay machines do take Visa and MC, not Discover.

Hotels would depend on your budget, and date of travel.

Darcy

I would agree. Your route will take you on the Mass Pike. You can take the Mass Pike straight to seaport area, and then its easy to the cruise terminal. If you are driving in a day ahead of time, book a room in the Newton/Waltham area. Its just off the Pike, and easy to hop back on it in the morning.

Thank you. We are looking at October 20, for the RCCL Canada-New England cruise. Just starting to decide and we know we really need to decide SOON! It will be a cruise to fill in before our December and February cruises. We have cruised out of Florida, New York and Bayonne New Jersey so thought we would try Boston. Thanks for the information......

We came from Rochester NY about a month ago. We drove to Troy and got rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn in Troy. We got on the Mass Turnpike on Cruise morning and drove into Boston. Got off at exit 25 and the cruise port signs took us to the port. No driving through the city at all. It was all turnpike and easy exit. Once you get to port, drop your luggage and the parking garage is about one block away, about a 5 minue walk. We were travel with 15 people in four vehicles. We had all the luggage in our covered pickup. Everyone else went and parked, we unloaded all the luggage with one porter, much to his dismay, and then we went and parked and walked pack to the check in line. Easy as could be. When we returned, it was out of the parking garage, a couple of turns and back onto a feeder and within a few minutes, we were headed west on the Mass Turnpike again.

Thanks for the information...we are now looking at flying on jet Jet Blue out of Buffalo direct flight into Boston early the morning of the cruise for $300.00 round trip for both of us. We are 3 hours from Buffalo, can leave car at hotel and great time leaving Boston back to Buffalo. Stil trying to decide if this is the best way for us to go. I'm thinking it is...now have to convince husband!

Thanks for the information...we are now looking at flying on jet Jet Blue out of Buffalo direct flight into Boston early the morning of the cruise for $300.00 round trip for both of us. We are 3 hours from Buffalo, can leave car at hotel and great time leaving Boston back to Buffalo. Stil trying to decide if this is the best way for us to go. I'm thinking it is...now have to convince husband!

Fly. Much less stress then driving in. :)

Fly. Much easier on the nerves.:)

• 1 month later...
Find a hotel and book it NOW. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. That weekend is Head of the Charles. In fact, you may want to consider staying out by 495, in the Westborough/Hopkinton/Milford area, not the Waltham/Needham area.

We are driving into Boston on October 18 (friday) for a cruise that leaves that day. I'm not sure what Head of the Charles is, but will this be something that could affect us?

Where are you driving in from? You should be fine as long as you don't try to come into Boston at the height of rush hour, which is good advice for any weekday departure.

We are coming from the Albany area, so will be on the Mass Pike. We should be in the Boston area around 11:00 - 11:30 in the morning. What type of traffic are we likely to hit on a Friday at that time?

We drove into Boston on a Friday in July. No Red Sox Games. We did pass the stadium. The drive in was easy. We left Albany area and were onboard by 12:30 PM, in time for lunch. The Directions given earlier were just what we did. Exit 25 towards South Boston. No "downtown" driving.

If the Boston Red Sox are in the playoffs then, traffic will be cray cray. Keep that on your radar too

No game on Friday October 18. Game 5 is Thursday night in Detroit/Oakland, and Game 6 (if needed) is Saturday October 19 at Fenway.

(And yes, they could in theory schedule an early game, but not usually earlier than 4pm. I remember one 4pm game in 2004 that ran until about 10:30...)

No game on Friday October 18. Game 5 is Thursday night in Detroit/Oakland, and Game 6 (if needed) is Saturday October 19 at Fenway.

(And yes, they could in theory schedule an early game, but not usually earlier than 4pm. I remember one 4pm game in 2004 that ran until about 10:30...)

Ok. That takes care of that concern. lol. But to answer 138, who I am sure knows much about Boston than me, what we saw was that folks start lining up real early to get a seat in one of the bars surrounding the stadium, which I took note of, because they don't do that in NY. But then again Fenway is unique in itself.

The Head of the Charles is a large rowing event. Hotel rooms book EARLY.

I actually got married Head of the Charles weekend ... years ago. I did not know about Head of the Charles. Did not know what it was. One of my coworkers suggested that I start looking for room blocks early. Let's just say that I had an extremely difficult time finding one. I had to go a good distance from our venue to get a room block. Save the dates went out early, with all of the out of staters getting an insert about booking rooms early.

Getting to the Cruise terminal in Boston is very easy. I used to work in the building across the street from the Black Falcon terminal and just went in on the pike and was right there quite easily.

The parking garage is also quite convenient, and as has been said is less than a 5 minute walk.

So what are you doing, flying or driving?

Hoping someone will know the answer to my question. We are renting a car one way with drop off at the Logan airport. Will I be able to drop off my luggage at the cruise pier and then return the car? After I return the car, I will use the silver line to get back to the pier. It will be a lot easier without luggage.

Thanks for you help.

Archived