Free trolly in puerto rico san juan

AmberTeka

They passed us several times while my daughter and I toured Old San Juan on electric bikes. I wanted to ride the trolley, but we never got around to it. That will be our reason for needing to going back to San Juan!

A very helpful Cruise critic member mentioned that a FREE TROLLEY operated in San Juan.

where do you catch it? Is it a long walk from the dock?

Thank you so much for information.

We caught it at the fort but I am pretty sure it stops close to the cruise ships because it took us back down there. Someone says it stops in front of the Subway sandwich shop. There are signs at its stops so you just need to look for them.

When we were on the Liberty a few weeks ago, we docked at Pier 4. From there, you need to cross the street. If you cross at the crosswalk, a little to the left of the pier entrance, the street for trolley stop #1 is right there. I don't think the name of the street is labeled on the maps but once you're actually there, it's eay to figure it out. You'll see the sign for the stop, and others from your ship going the same way.

The Trolly is a great way to get around IF you are in no hurry. It stops often and traffic in San Juan can be crazy. There are also two different routes so you have to be sure you are on the correct one if you are trying to get to a certain destination.

I have been in San Juan multiple times and have ridden the trolley. It is a very nice feature. One of the posters above was right in that the stop #1 is almost right across the street from the pier where you will most likely dock. I actually think it is easier however to walk to the west (left) when you exit the ship/pier facility and go to one of the stops that lets off and picks up by the subway restaurant. There will usually be more room on the trolley there. At stop #1 there are always a ton of people waiting to board. Or you can walk to the forts and get on there. I know we found it kind of nice to ride around the entire loop deciding where we wanted to get off... plus it was a nice break from the walking. Enjoy San Juan... it is one of the great cities of the world.

I have been in San Juan multiple times and have ridden the trolley. It is a very nice feature. One of the posters above was right in that the stop #1 is almost right across the street from the pier where you will most likely dock. I actually think it is easier however to walk to the west (left) when you exit the ship/pier facility and go to one of the stops that lets off and picks up by the subway restaurant. There will usually be more room on the trolley there. At stop #1 there are always a ton of people waiting to board. Or you can walk to the forts and get on there. I know we found it kind of nice to ride around the entire loop deciding where we wanted to get off... plus it was a nice break from the walking. Enjoy San Juan... it is one of the great cities of the world.

Yes, this is what we did and we got on an essentially empty trolley. The next stop is the #1, across from the port, there were gads of passengers waiting and not all were able to board hence having to wait for the next trolley to come around.

** when you exit the ship/port area, turn left and walk down to the area in front of the Subway and Coffee Cafe. You will see the sign near the street for the trolley stop.

** Also at the last fort, El Morro, the trolley will pull right up to the fort and circle around the entrance. A lot of folks got out at the street not realizing that the trolley pulls all the way up the wide sidewalk to the entrance. They also do the pick-ups at the entrance too. So just a tip for less crowds.

Another tip if interested, Both forts only sell bottled water and Gatoraide. No soda pop. So if you want a soda, either bring one or buy one at the outside vendor across from fort #2. They are $1 per can. There is also a shaved ice and hot-dog vendor there as well. If you purchase from this location, you would have to exit at the street and take the long sidewalk up to the fort. No biggie, but for someone with mobility issues it may be a factor.

:)

Been to OSJ numerous times..... both pre and post cruise and on port stops.

Every time we have seen the trolley (yes every time) we are walking faster than it is going - as it is usually stuck in traffic :eek:

But I can see using it to take you to the furthest point and then walk back down towards the port area...... since walking OSJ is the best part !!!! :D

QUOTE=shof515;39711803]

One of the things i found confusing is that after a certain time (like after 5pm), they stop running some routes so be careful you don't get stuck at one of the forts when they stop the trolleys

---------------------------------------------------

Glad you posted this because I was going to.

This is an important thing to know and keep in mind!

LuLu

~~~~~

I went to the website mentioned in the second post, great link by the way!

Great tips on avoiding the big wait to get on. Several mentions of routes that only run up to a certain hour. Is that on a trolley map or print-out? Where is this posted so that we do not get stuck and have to either walk or take a taxi to get back to the ship?

• 3 weeks later...

I am really looking forward to visiting OSJ next January. We'll be there from 7AM to 3:30PM.

We were in OSJ December of 2003 - arriving at 4 or so. We went on a bus tour and it was dark around 5 PM (winter) so we didn't see much. I remember seeing a spotlight in the driveway at one of the forts!!!

We'll probably do a complete loop on the trolley before getting off at the first fort. We have the National Park Pass (lifetime senior pass for $10.) so will be able to take advantage of that, although I understand the tickets for the forts are very, very reasonable.

We'll walk down to board the trolley as station #14.

Archived