Suggestion for things to do near Miami Cruise Port , staying 5 days prior to cruise

Twiz

Just wondering if anyone might have some suggestions of things to do near the Miami Cruise Port, we are staying 5 dyas prior to our cruise in Feb. We have already planned a bus trip to Key West and have been to South Beach before which we might do again:)

Bayside Market is a given we stay across the street from it and I like to try out all the eating places !!

Bayside is very touristy and not many good restaurants there with one exception. Check out Los Ranchos for excellent grilled steaks, chicken, or fish. They have been there since the beginning although they just recently moved to the second floor. They also mix up an excellent mojito!

We love spending days in Coconut Grove and Coral Gables. Bayside has gone totally downhill in recent years. Decent for people watching, but a bit of a dump anymore.

South Beach is a must

A trip to the keys is a must (spend a night or two down there)

Walking food tour! We organized one for our day in Miami -- very fun, and GREAT food! There are a couple different companies there. We chose Miami Culinary Tours and went on the South Beach Food Tour. Walked a total of around a mile and stopped in places where we would never notice if we were there by ourselves. The tour operator gave us some history of the area and of the art deco archtecture.

Start hungry! Leave full!

Bayside is very touristy and not many good restaurants there with one exception. Check out Los Ranchos for excellent grilled steaks, chicken, or fish. They have been there since the beginning although they just recently moved to the second floor. They also mix up an excellent mojito!

I think Mambo's has some pretty good Cuban fare. They DO make a very good Mojito.

I do agree with you about the rest of the food offerings. Although Tradewinds has a pretty good breakfast menu.

Do all of the above, then rent a car and head to the keys. Everglades are also a must see, If you have a car there is a lot you can explore for you selves without taking any tours. Miami has so much to offer, but with any major city there are some areas to avoid. While most parts of town are perfectly safe there are a few areas you'd do best to avoid. Get a map and talk to the concierge at the front desk to point out where not to go. Not trying to scare you by any means, it is just the reality of a large city. As a local, here is what I recommend to friends when they visit.

1. South Beach- Have to do it once, just to say you did. Great for people watching and restaurants.

2. Keys - All of them are amazing and there is so much to do. My favorite is Islamorada.

3. Everglades- Do an airboat ride, or just explore. There is tourist information everywhere.

4. Miami Sequarium

5. Boat Tour of Biscayne Bay - There are a few docked in Bayside, but several other captains around if you do some research online.

6. Coconut Grove and Coral Gables- Both within a short drive of each other and in my opinion, the best restaurants in town.

7. The Hop on and off tours are fun. I have done it once and I live here. Very informational.

8. Museum of science

9. Jungle Island - I only rank this so low because of the costs. It is great for the kids though as there is plenty to do and see.

10. Metro Zoo - This is a great zoo, but you will need a car to get to as it is far. Might be a good stop if you do head to the keys.

Venetian Pool - Coral Gables (depending on time of the year

http://www.coralgables.com/index.aspx?page=167

The pool was created in 1923 from a coral rock quarry, where much of the original coral rock was used to border and further accentuate the pool. It also features two large historic lookout towers, with a view to the City Beautiful.

The 820,000 gallon pool is fed with spring water from an underground aquifer. In the spring and summer seasons, the pool is filled and drained daily!

The Venetian pool was opened in 1924

You can take public transportation from downtown to the zoo!

ZOO BUS: Now called the CORAL REEF MAX. Catch the bus at Metrorail's Dadeland South Station. It is an approximately 20-minute ride each way. For schedules and fares, call Miami-Dade Transit at (305) 770-3131 or visit http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/.

visit Key Biscayne, especially Bill Baggs / Cape Florida Park and visit the Cape Florida lighthouse http://www.floridastateparks.org/capeflorida/

We always arrive to Miami five to seven days before the cruise.

Things to do:

Visit South Beach for the Day

Go to a Beach.

Visit Holocaust Museum

Go to an event at the American Airlines Arena

Go out to Key Biscayne

Visit Bayside and the surrounding area

Go to a show at the Jackie Gleason Theatre

Visit the zoo and/or the Aquarium

Go to the Farmer's Market

We also do this without a car.

Keith