Bringing alcohol on board

DAZA

We all pretty much know what Princess's official policy is on bringing alcohol on board - 1 bottle of wine or champagne on embarkation.

Actually, this feeds the misconception. The policy is not that you may bring on 1 bottle of wine per person at embarkation. The policy is that you may bring on as much wine as you wish. But only the first bottle is free. By repeating the "one bottle per person" line without any further qualifier, people often lose sight of the fact that they can absolutely board with 4 bottles of wine, and none will be confiscated. But they may have to pay a fee, depending on the rigors of the enforcement.

On the Coral Alaska Northbound Aug 28 we asked when leaving in Juneau if we were permitted to bring a bottle of wine on board from the port. We were told yes - the person behind asked about liquor and they stated no liquor, only wine. My husband boarded about 10 minutes before me, they confiscated his bottle of wine. When I returned I was unaware of this. I had wine in a Tetra Pak and no comment was made about it and it was not taken away.

The confiscated bottle was given back on the last night on the ship. We gave it to our steward.

I am fine with the policy but was very upset because we were told we could bring it back from port. I thought that I had read that it was ok to bring a bottle from each port. Obviously I was wrong.

I don't see the issue here, (other than the frustration of inconsistent enforcement). You were told that you could bring wine on board at the port. Your husband did, it was allowed, it was held until departure and returned. That, to me, sounds as if the policy was applied as intended. You, on the other hand, were not required to turn your bottle over for holding. So you got lucky. But just because you were able to slip one past the goalie doesn't mean that what happened to your husband was wrong. Now, if the person to whom you spoke told you that you could bring a bottle from port and take it to your cabin an drink it, then that is a different story. But as you have relayed the story here, you asked if you could bring a bottle on board, and your husband was allowed to do that. Having the bottle held until departure is having the bottle on board. The wine was most definitely on board the ship.

Lots of people want to buy local bottles to take home with them, and this system allows them to do that. The line seems to be drawn at allowing port purchases to be consumed on board. Why Princess draws a distinction between allowing one person to board with 6 bottles at embarkation to consume all 6 bottles while on the ship, but will not allow another person from boarding with 2 bottles and buy 4 more along the way to drink on the ship is beyond me. But that does appear to be the policy, and what happend to your husband was consistent with that policy.

I'm sailing from Ft Lauderdale in Feb 2014 with a group of 10...all experienced Princess cruisers. All of us have always brought wine on board to enjoy in our cabins and at dinner and we've paid corkage fees at dinner most of the time. If that note is on our baggage tags when we print them, we will bring on more than the 1 bottle per person. We will happily pay the corkage fees at embarkation if that's the latest process. We can enjoy the wines we like, in our cabin or in the dining rooms.

If that note is on our baggage tags when we print them, we will bring on more than the 1 bottle per person. We will happily pay the corkage fees at embarkation if that's the latest process. We can enjoy the wines we like, in our cabin or in the dining rooms.

Even if your luggage tag does not say that, you should plan to bring more than one bottle per person, as that is the clearly stated policy in all of their literature. This, from the FAQ section of the website on "Alcohol Policy"

As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

If that was last years baggage tag' date=' then I stand corrected ! Thanks .[/quote']

That was actually for a cruise next month. My upcoming luggage tag has that info as well. My boarding pass, however, has a slightly different statement that clearly references discarding alcohol outside their policy:

=====================================================

Cut and paste from boarding pass:

Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder,

adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or

champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage

fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne

bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective

of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are

not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and

alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded

After my post I was reading a bit further and noticed the Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each on Princess' website under Alcohol policy. Looks like we'll be taking wine on board as usual although I did read somewhere that it needs to be in your carry on. We used to check a couple cases with our luggage. Guess we'll have an extra rolling bag to carry on!

I don't think that the message was on any labels etc when we sail with Princess last year' date=' we went with P&O in May and there wasn't that info on them.[/quote']

The new policy started in March or April of this year. So it was not on luggage tags last year.

We are sailing on Dawn Princess in a month's time, departing from the White Bay Cruise Terminal in Sydney, Australia.

Checking in on the White Bay Cruise Terminal website (http://www.sydney.com/destinations/sydney/transport/white-bay-cruise-terminal), I noticed the following quote:

"What NOT to bring

"You are NOT permitted to bring any alcohol on board for personal consumption. Duty-free, tax-free and personal alcohol purchased onshore must be surrendered by passengers at embarkation or prior to boarding at any port."

I understood that Princess allows you to bring wine on board as long as you observe their (i.e. Princess's) rules.

Does anyone know which rule applies here -- Princess's or the cruise terminal's?

Michael

You stick to Princess rules but remember the White Bay is run by P&O Australia staff who do not allow alcohol but you just have to argue and they then gie persmission.

i must admit, it seems like it is really varied. I had decided that if the wine was noted that we would claim that as our allocation and not bring anything else. as mentioned earlier on this thread - it was never commented on and we just brought a bottle at the duty free before boarding each time and it was in a duty free bag so we were not hiding it -

Yes, that is the current policy. Princess reserves the right to discard your hard liquor or beer. You have been warned.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Now I'm so mixed up...so you can NOT bring any other liquor except wine and beer ?

Now I'm so mixed up...so you can NOT bring any other liquor except wine and beer ?

The only alcohol you are allowed to bring is wine (1/pp/cruise & $15 fee in any public space; $15 additional bottles with no additional fee in public spaces; they'll store wine that you're taking home).

Beer & spirits are not allowed and how all alcohol rules are enforced may vary. I plan to have the rules enforced & if not will enjoy additional wine without an additional fee. :D

Archived