How to prevent jet lag....??

Rowsby

Hi Kazu...... as No-Jet-Lag sounded such a great product, I decided to see if I could get it in UK. I came across a website : http://www.nojetlag.com/ which lists outlets "worldwide" (except UK that is!!) and I found these outlets in New Brunswick :

Airport Stores : Relay Airside Store, Moncton Int'l Airport, Dieppe, 506-856-8497

Bathurst (506) : Pharmacy Jean Coutu, 1047 St Peter Ave., E2A 2Z6. Tel: 546 6666

Fredericton (506) : Aura Foods, 199 Westmoreland St, E3B 3L6. Tel: 454 4240

Sangsters Health Centre, 440 King St, Kings Place Mall, E3B 5H8. Tel: 455 0200

St John (506) : Walsh Luggage, 1 Market Square, E2L 4Z6. Tel: 658 1091

I suppose this info may be out of date but it may be worth a try. :)

I'm off to see if I can find a UK outlet somewhere.

Sue

Thanks Sue - Walsh's didn't have it last time we checked. But I've got two sources now - thanks to your help and the others:D

Obviously you've got to apply the recommendations to your own individual flight scenario. I have a non-cruise vacation coming up with a flight very similar to the one you mentioned. We plan to go to bed when we get to the hotel!

Of course - if you are arriving at that time, absolutely, I'd be going to bed too;) Because of our time difference we normally get in around 9 am by the time we get our luggage and check into our hotel, so we try to last the day to adjust our time clocks.

The Argonne diet has worked for me, google it.

I googled it.....:)

And....I used this link to figure the time difference.....

http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

If you are suppose to start eating breakfast at your destination time 4 days before your flight....London at 7am would be 11pm pacific time......

Maybe I'm not figuring this out right........??

We are travelling to Montreal early next month and are scheduled to arrive at 8.20pm, so I guess by the time we have collected our bags and then been through immigration, it's going to be getting on towards 10pm before we get to the hotel Downtown.......... so I doubt we will have any problems whatsoever fitting quickly into "local time" and all that we'll be fit for is sleep (as it will be 3am UK time). :eek::eek: I find the return leg the most difficult to deal with.

We are travelling to Montreal early next month and are scheduled to arrive at 8.20pm, so I guess by the time we have collected our bags and then been through immigration, it's going to be getting on towards 10pm before we get to the hotel Downtown.......... so I doubt we will have any problems whatsoever fitting quickly into "local time" and all that we'll be fit for is sleep (as it will be 3am UK time). :eek::eek: I find the return leg the most difficult to deal with.

Yes, that's a pretty good westbound TATL routing. Hopefully you can sleep in a little bit the next day!

biggest key is to try to stay awake at least until 8 pm in the new time zone - otherwise you wake up at an ungodly hour.

Not very practical when you depart at 8:00 PM or later and it is 2:00 AM or later at your destination.

Flights don't usually land at 2 am so if you depart at 8 pm watch a boring film on the plane (one sooo boring that it will send you to sleep), drink plenty of water and try to have a walk around when you arrive at your destination. I usually manage to stay awake until 10 pm local time.

If I'm arriving at my destination around 7 or 8 am then again, I try to manage with just an hour's nap in the afternoon then my body clock seems to adjust pretty quickly.

We fly regularly to Europe and the U.S. from here and all the flights involve a lot of hours in the air and wasting time in airports.

We find flying from East to West quite easy whereas the reverse is always much harder.

When we fly to Europe which is from East to West, we usually arrive into a city very early in the morning. We then walk in the sunshine or fresh air and try to stay awake until at least 7pm. Then we go to bed and next morning we are fine and our bodies have adjusted to the time zone of the area where are in. We always fly in early when doing a cruise. Of course coming home is a lot harder, as we are flying from West to East, so we usually have a stopover in Singapore for a few days to get our time clocks adjusted.

Flying to the U.S. is a lot harder as we are going from East to West, and even though we try and spend as much time as possible on the first day out in the sunshine and we don't go to bed until at least 7pm, we find it does take a couple of days to adjust to the time difference. Of course, returning home is much easier as again we are flying from West to East and after a good night's sleep we are back to normal.

Everyone's body adjusts differently and some find it a lot harder than others.

Jennie

I agree with an earlier poster to use melatonin. My approach was to take 1/2 a tablet each of the two days before travel, but at bedtime of my destination city. Then on arrival I would take a half tablet at bedtime, local time, the first two nights. On my return I would attempt to reverse the process.

I also agree with water, water, water. To avoid dehydration and malaise, try to drink eight ounces for every hour you're in the air. And no caffeine except something as you arrive in the morning at your destination.

Plus someone else also pointed out trying to arrive a few days early, not only good in case of airline delays, but it also helps you adjust to the new timezone and you get a chance to explore the embarkation city.

We're saving and scrimping to take our kids on a longer Med cruise in a couple of years...so just lurking and drooling over cruises at this point.

Nothing really works for me. Flying east to west is as difficult as west to east. It takes me a couple of days to adjust. We had to cancel a cruise for this October where we were flying from east coast to Barcelona. We planned to arrive several days before the cruise so I'l be OK when the cruise started.

I fall in the easy flying west, bad flying east category.

My trips are usually to Europe r South Africa which is usually a 6 hour difference. I would usually take a sleeping pill especially for those 14-hour flights to South Africa. coming back from South Africa we usually have a long overnight flight arriving in New York early am and going to work! ::eek: Most of the day is pent reading email and talking about vacation so not to heavy and it keeps me awake. ;)

I find it interesting that so many folks find westbound easier because that is the tough one for me. On my way TO Europe I catch a redeye and when I land, no matter how little sleep I got enroute, I treat it like a normal morning in that time zone... Then I crash around dinnertime and sleep through the night and wake up fresh and adjusted. The westbound flights are easier, but my body takes a few days to adjust.

The business class option, if an option, makes a world of difference. 17 hours westbound to Singapore for work, and I slept a solid 8 hours in the lay flat bed. That flight has spoiled me for life.

I'm not sure there is really any way to prevent jet lag. The best one can do is figure out what works for you in dealing with the results.

I've tried the melatonin, but since I'm a healthy skeptic of such things, it didn't seem to do anything for me. :rolleyes:

I don't find jet lag a big problem on most of my trips (East coast US to Europe) as long as I can sleep a little on the plane and then keep going the next day until evening. Going to Asia is more challenging; hard to avoid waking up really early for a few days until your internal clock re-sets itself.

I'm curious why several people have said to avoid alcohol completely. Obviously I'm not talking about going on a bender, but I can't imagine having a glass or wine or two with one's in-flight meal is going to make any difference. :confused:

biggest key is to try to stay awake at least until 8 pm in the new time zone - otherwise you wake up at an ungodly hour.

now, we really find this homeopathic product works - it's called jet lag - available at Magellans.com Can't get it anymore in Canada but in the U.S. you can. Made in New Zealand and an absolutely wonderful product - saved the day for us and really helped.

Alas, we have to find imitations now and they are not as good, It's worth a shot. DH swears by it:D

Kazu - what does JetLag do - keep you awake or put you to sleep?

I checked the specs on Jet Lag, and it seems like it is intended to keep you going once you arrive at your destination. If so, doesn't this contradict the use of a sleeping pill enroute? I would think that sleep on a long flight is more desirable than trying to stay awake. Or does one pill not zero out the other?

Kazu - what does JetLag do - keep you awake or put you to sleep?

I checked the specs on Jet Lag, and it seems like it is intended to keep you going once you arrive at your destination. If so, doesn't this contradict the use of a sleeping pill enroute? I would think that sleep on a long flight is more desirable than trying to stay awake. Or does one pill not zero out the other?

It is not a sleeping pill and is not contraindicative with other things. It simply works on the metabolism as I understand it. it doesn't make you sleepy nor does it keep you awake.

My husband found nothing in it to interfere with other medications and/or sleeping aids. We're pretty careful but anything we take:D

It is not a sleeping pill and is not contraindicative with other things. It simply works on the metabolism as I understand it. it doesn't make you sleepy nor does it keep you awake.

My husband found nothing in it to interfere with other medications and/or sleeping aids. We're pretty careful but anything we take:D

Thank you! Think we will try it on our upcoming flight to Barcelona.

I'm not sure there is really any way to prevent jet lag. The best one can do is figure out what works for you in dealing with the results.

I've tried the melatonin, but since I'm a healthy skeptic of such things, it didn't seem to do anything for me. :rolleyes:

I don't find jet lag a big problem on most of my trips (East coast US to Europe) as long as I can sleep a little on the plane and then keep going the next day until evening. Going to Asia is more challenging; hard to avoid waking up really early for a few days until your internal clock re-sets itself.

I'm curious why several people have said to avoid alcohol completely. Obviously I'm not talking about going on a bender, but I can't imagine having a glass or wine or two with one's in-flight meal is going to make any difference. :confused:

I don't know if it does or doesn't, but when I start my vacation, I start being in vacation mode and that includes a glass or 2 of wine on the plane. I don't plan on doing a test to determine if it's better with or without alcohol

I'm sort of like you. I'll have maybe one or two glasses of wine at the beginning of the flight (like with dinner), then only water after that for rest of the flight.

Lots of references on the internet about avoiding alcohol totally, but then you get a post on this thread from a flight attendant (who obviously has LOTS of flying experience) who also subscribes to the one or two drink philosophy. :confused:

I'm sort of like you. I'll have maybe one or two glasses of wine at the beginning of the flight (like with dinner), then only water after that for rest of the flight.

Lots of references on the internet about avoiding alcohol totally, but then you get a post on this thread from a flight attendant (who obviously has LOTS of flying experience) who also subscribes to the one or two drink philosophy. :confused:

Another vote for wine with dinner then either water or juice.

Archived