p&o drinks expensive!

caziann

Come on from memory you talked about £35 per person.

That's 1 bottle wine.....£15

2 large G&T's ...........£10

3 pints.............£10

All assuming 10% discount

That is each of you, every day. No wonder you think Celebrity is great most of it would be in a haze. That's 16 to 20 units per day.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Dai, with respect, you continue to make points that you really don't know much about. Not long back you said drinks packages had to be bought by both people in a cabin - wrong. Now you are saying we were all drunk all of the time! Then you take the price of the most expensive package and compare it to the cheapest drinks on P&O. Then you only take alcoholic drinks into account.

There are a range of packages available. We saved a lot of money by taking the one that suited us. Those are facts.

Dai, with respect, you continue to make points that you really don't know much about. Not long back you said drinks packages had to be bought by both people in a cabin - wrong. Now you are saying we were all drunk all of the time! Then you take the price of the most expensive package and compare it to the cheapest drinks on P&O. Then you only take alcoholic drinks into account.

There are a range of packages available. We saved a lot of money by taking the one that suited us. Those are facts.

Well if you are ok with that much booze on a cruise that is fine. So they have changed the both persons in a cabin taking the package? And when was this?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1571274

I will give you this, if the list of what is available given in this thread is found on all ships then it is pretty impressive, very good selection of beer. Including Bellhaven, it appeared to be $7 if I have read this correct so plus tip would make it $8. I could cope with that but I still could not justify a package.

Gan Canny

Dai

Edited by daiB

Don't forget that RC add 15% gratuity to bar prices.

P&O don't add any gratuity, and if you are a regular cruiser you can get up to 10% discount OFF the prices!

Best value on P&O is Crabbies alcoholic ginger beer - £3.75 for 500 ml - and if you drink it with ice you get even more (as long as the ice melts) !!!!

the ginger is also good for motion sickness - so drink a lot in Biscay!

I do apologise as I was quoting another poster with my bit about Royal Carribbean prices regarding their 750ml fosters lager but it didnt copy and looked as if I had said it...:D

I agree wholeheartedly regarding P & O pub prices...NO Gratuity!! Fabby prices...:D

I think that in terms of wines, P&O remains much cheaper compared to American lines (despite price increases over the last few years) however beer is coming pretty close to the US lines even with their service charge. Spirits are also pretty close given the measures on US lines are almost doubles.

We have just returned off ventura, we found in a few of the bars they don't have beer and lager on draught. My hubby likes a pint of lager and they only sold bottles, two of which make a pint, worked out £7.20 for one pint, we thought this was really expensive!

Are you sure they weren't 500ml bottles, in other words virtually a pint? I think you've done your maths wrong :)

Are you sure they weren't 500ml bottles, in other words virtually a pint? I think you've done your maths wrong :)

No I am sure some of the small lager bottles are only 330ml like Peroni which are about £3.50 so two would be £7.00, which would be over a pint. Buying two bottles to make up a pint is always a dear way to drink beer.

I think it is time I went on another cruise, in the name of research. I will offer to test the price of beers and report back.

Gan Canny

Dai

I have never succumbed to drinks packages, on any cruise line. I refuse to be sold wines that are - to all intents and purposes - bin ends. In respect of soft drinks, my top choice is water every time. And I hate that 'US' lines add 15% to every beverage order - why is that?? You get what you pay for every time. Recently discovered The Glass House on P&O Azura - what a gem! Ate there 5 times on recent cruise. If you buy cheap, are you at risk of sacrificing quality?

I have never succumbed to drinks packages, on any cruise line. I refuse to be sold wines that are - to all intents and purposes - bin ends.

We opted for the top package on our last cruise (lots of OBC thanks to the price promise that nobody thought paid out - it did!).

The wine was, on the whole, excellent. Sure, there were a couple that were ok rather than excellent but we found it great value and a good way of trying things we may not have tried before.

Our "find of the cruise" was a French rosé. We never drink rosé but really liked this one. We found an excellent red too.

When the package ran out, we then went off-piste and ordered the wines we liked from the package (which weren't on the wine list) and enjoyed them all over again!

No I am sure some of the small lager bottles are only 330ml like Peroni which are about £3.50 so two would be £7.00, which would be over a pint. Buying two bottles to make up a pint is always a dear way to drink beer.

I think it is time I went on another cruise, in the name of research. I will offer to test the price of beers and report back.

Gan Canny

Dai

At your own cost of course;)

I have never succumbed to drinks packages, on any cruise line. I refuse to be sold wines that are - to all intents and purposes - bin ends. In respect of soft drinks, my top choice is water every time. And I hate that 'US' lines add 15% to every beverage order - why is that?? You get what you pay for every time. Recently discovered The Glass House on P&O Azura - what a gem! Ate there 5 times on recent cruise. If you buy cheap, are you at risk of sacrificing quality?

You can add 15% so you are aware you are paying it, (US lines and Cunard) as this is how US bars work. When you buy a drink you also tip the bar staff. Alternatively you can have prices which include the 15%, P&O and Celebrity on European trips.

Either way you are still paying 15% on every drink.

You can add 15% so you are aware you are paying it, (US lines and Cunard) as this is how US bars work. When you buy a drink you also tip the bar staff. Alternatively you can have prices which include the 15%, P&O and Celebrity on European trips.

Either way you are still paying 15% on every drink.

That's quite a convoluted way of looking at it, it's still the amount that comes out of your pocket that counts.

I agree, but some posters seem to think because P&O don't strip out the 15% as a seperate charge they don't impose a tip on drinks.

There is a hidden tip in drinks prices. In conversations with waiters/waitresses they said they prefer working in busy bars because they earn more?

Apparently they are rotated around all the bars so that everyone gets a go in the busy bars.

There is a hidden tip in drinks prices. In conversations with waiters/waitresses they said they prefer working in busy bars because they earn more?

Apparently they are rotated around all the bars so that everyone gets a go in the busy bars.

That seems very fair to me. Especially as I always feel sorry for the bar team who have to work the sunbathing areas on the higher decks on Azura and Ventura. They do a great job.

This happened about 4 years ago and it was discussed widely and at that time you stopped tipping your drinks waiter as they got the 15% from the drinks. That is also why the bartender always gets one of the wait staff to put your order through the system even though you are at at the bar.

This happened about 4 years ago and it was discussed widely and at that time you stopped tipping your drinks waiter as they got the 15% from the drinks. That is also why the bartender always gets one of the wait staff to put your order through the system even though you are at at the bar.

I always wondered why they did that, makes perfect sense now.

We sussed that too. However it can be annoying that you cant find a waiter so go to the bar only to be told to go back to your seat and wait to be served when the bar area is empty.

Hi all,

My 1st time on P&O, Banks lager was £2.85, Stella was £3.30. A good saving in my book.

However,last time on P&O, Banks lager was dearer than Stella for the pint at £3.95 and £3.60 respectively, except when on daily offer!!

Has anyone been recently in the Caribbean that can let me know what price the Banks lager is now on board, as I'm off on Ventura soon. The pdf file for the drinks prices doesn't give the Banks price as its specific to Caribbean sailings, and the Stella price is set at £3.70. My club discount will knock that down by 5% though now, phew!!

Thanks in advance,

PNE

I have not cruised with P&O before, going on my first one soon. Can someone tell me about the discount on drinks.

Thank you.

It's a bit like points make prizes, each cruise you take you are given points which are added to your Portunas club account. The club works in tiers with the first tier you get 5% discount off drinks etc, this goes upto 10% with little extras, the more you cruise. But this only starts when you have used any onboard credit you have.

As this is your first cruise with pando you will not be eligable for Portunas discounts.

If you look on the pando site it should explain it in more detail.

Hope this helps

Molly

Portunus changed to Peninsular club nearly two years ago. You need to have 15 nights on board to get to the first tier, Pacific, which gives you 5% off your onboard spend. As well as drinks, this includes excursions, photos, etc

Details here

http://www.pocruises.com/about-po-cruises/peninsular-club/peninsular-club-introduction/

Brian