Looks like carnival is testing a new beverage program

TurtleCrossing1

Definitely agree that fountains would be better than warm flat cans! However, I hope they don't do a cup with a chip, I wouldn't really want to carry a special cup around whenever I wanted a soda - and I also wouldn't want to have to keep washing it all week. Getting a fountain drink from a bar or by swiping your S&S card at a machine would work best imo

That's great news, thanks for sharing. So what prevents the mug holder from loaning their mug to friends and family? I can see people filling up their Tervis cups, etc. from the mug with the chip to beat the system.

And what's to keep a Carnival cruise with a soda plan from walking from bar to bar and getting cans and handing them to their friends that aren't on the plan??

Any system can be abused, but fountain soda is much less expensive than cans. In a high volume restaurant that uses fountains (like a McDonalds), the paper cup can actually cost the restaurant more than the soda itself!

And what's to keep a Carnival cruise with a soda plan from walking from bar to bar and getting cans and handing them to their friends that aren't on the plan??

Any system can be abused, but fountain soda is much less expensive than cans. In a high volume restaurant that uses fountains (like a McDonalds), the paper cup can actually cost the restaurant more than the soda itself!

They don't give you the whole can. That is the issue. They pour warm soda from a can over ice and then it goes flat pretty quickly.

It always amuses me on how so many people automatically jump to the conclusion that there will be uncontrolled, mass cheating of the system that is in effect no matter what it is.

Let's not debate the potential for fraud, but rather discuss the positives. There will always be people that don't think the rules apply to them. Nothing you can do about that.

I'm not a big soda drinker, but DH is. We had already decided to skip the soda package once I learned that they serve those with it hot soda out of the can. I find that so silly. Something different would be better, but I'm not sure I like the idea of having to carry a cup with you anytime you want a soda. Why not make the machines so you can swipe them with your s&s card.

IF they were to be honest the price would go down way down.. doubt they will cut there price tho.. I worked in Electrical construction for many years.. Had a higher up at the local coke plant during a install tell me.. Each Class of soda is worth about 10 to 12 cents.. That includes the ice glass and the server bringing it to your table.. Fountain soda is a huge money make for everybody.... On another note inside the coke plant bottle drinks were a .25 from the vending machine and no pepsi allowed inside the gates..

I work for coca cola. We make more money off a single case of 20oz (24 bottles) then we do a whole skid of 12 packs (96 cases). But bag in box does have a high profit margin for us and the merchant as well.

Excellent suggestion, like the dispensers they have at Five Guys! I'd pay for this program with the Coke Freestyle!

theFreestyle610335.jpg

It's one of the main reasons I go to Wendy's. I quit drinking pop but I'm addicted to lite lemonade with fruit punch.

Could you explain how they worked? Were they good? New beverage program?

They work like any other fountain gun you see in most bars/restaurants. Guests did not have access to them, just the bartenders. Tasted just like regular fountain soda. We had the Cheers program which includes soda. DH's rum and cokes were coke from the gun, no more cans which was nice.

Hi !

This is somewhat off topic but similar....My boyfriend and I booked a January 7 day- eastern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Fantasy. We're new to the cruises and didn't know if the "Cheers" package was actually worth the $$$ - I mean, $50 a day per person for adult beverages ??? Any help would be appreciated :) thanks!!!

Maybe they'll get the Coke Freestyle machines?

I hope not. the local wendys has these and to me due to the way it gets mixed the flavor is too different. the regular coke taste nowhere close to fountain coke to me. not to mention I don't much care for that little bit of flavor In the line from the previous person.

Hi !

This is somewhat off topic but similar....My boyfriend and I booked a January 7 day- eastern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Fantasy. We're new to the cruises and didn't know if the "Cheers" package was actually worth the $$$ - I mean, $50 a day per person for adult beverages ??? Any help would be appreciated :) thanks!!!

The Cheers package premise is for mainly alcoholic drinks. Not exactly sure how much it is but I have seen on these boards 49.99 per person per day and you have to be 21 and over as well as the other person in the cabin. If one person in the cabin purchases is then the other has to too. So in essence for the alcohol/soda its like 350.00 or so per person for a 7 day cruise less for shorter cruises. There is also a limit of 15 alcoholic drinks a day.

The Bottomless Bubbles soda package is just for soda. It is around 50 bucks total per person NOT per day for a 7 day cruise less for shorter cruises.

Using a 16 oz cup will yield Carnival about 214 drinks per bag in the box.

BIBs (bag in the box) cost anywhere from 40 to 60 bucks per box. However since Carnival will be buying in bulk they will get a discount so more than likely it will be around 30 to 40 per bag in the box.

My only concern is Co2. You will have to have either the normal size tanks and or a few bulk tanks. You got to make sure you have enough to get you through the cruise.

Granted they already have tanks because of the draft beers they serve.

I got bottomless bubbles once. I always made sure I got something that they would have to open a fresh can for. I got either Sprite Zero or Orange soda. Always saw them open a fresh can.

I work for coca cola. We make more money off a single case of 20oz (24 bottles) then we do a whole skid of 12 packs (96 cases). But bag in box does have a high profit margin for us and the merchant as well.

I know this will probably sound crazy to most everyone else, but I have to trust this comment.

Have a friend that did computer work for a local 3-store convenience chain and he told me that they were paying about $14/case (24) for 24 ounce and $27/case for the 20 ounce. Just didn't make any sense.

I won't pay more than $2.50 for a 12 pack or $1.00 for a 2 liter, and I just wait them out for a sale. :)

gary

Please please please get the guns. I love fountain diet coke. We will even go out at night just to get a $1 mcdonald's diet coke. But I really don't care for it in the cans nearly as much. It just doesn't taste the same.

Please, put the guns on all the ships.

Definitely agree that fountains would be better than warm flat cans! However, I hope they don't do a cup with a chip, I wouldn't really want to carry a special cup around whenever I wanted a soda - and I also wouldn't want to have to keep washing it all week. Getting a fountain drink from a bar or by swiping your S&S card at a machine would work best imo

On RCCL you can still go and get a drink from the bar however you can only use the Freestyle Machines if you have the special mug... no need to lug the mug with you unless you want the best drink ever, a Peach Fanta Zero... :-)

Carnival would be fools not to install Freestyle Machines IMO. The Choices are great, the beverages come out perfect every time and they are just plain fun! They are also easy to use...on Oasis last year I don't think I ever had to Wait more than a minute. I think the time restriction between was only 5 minutes as well. PLUS, you get the free mug!

YES TO FREESTYLE!!!

Using a 16 oz cup will yield Carnival about 214 drinks per bag in the box.

BIBs (bag in the box) cost anywhere from 40 to 60 bucks per box. However since Carnival will be buying in bulk they will get a discount so more than likely it will be around 30 to 40 per bag in the box.

My only concern is Co2. You will have to have either the normal size tanks and or a few bulk tanks. You got to make sure you have enough to get you through the cruise.

Granted they already have tanks because of the draft beers they serve.

I got bottomless bubbles once. I always made sure I got something that they would have to open a fresh can for. I got either Sprite Zero or Orange soda. Always saw them open a fresh can.

Beer kegs don't require co2 tanks. The beer is already under pressure in the keg.

Soda for the guns comes in bags inside a cardboard box that is then mixed with water and co2. Flavor can really vary depending on water supply and whether or not the "mix" is calibrated just right along with how the lines are maintained. Lots of bacteria potential in the lines and guns if they aren't cleaned and maintained regularly.

Archived