Looks like carnival is testing a new beverage program

TurtleCrossing1

It looks like carnival is getting rid of canned soda in favor of the guns according to a question asked by someone on john healds fb page. Also looks like a new program will be launched. I don't have access to the question/answer posted to his page so somebody could post it here if they would like.

I certainly hope not. The soda takes the flavor of the local water. It never tastes right.

If they're not giving me the real deal, they can keep it.

And for others, it should be an option.

NOT SO FAST!:eek:

On ships that already are doing this, instead of a 12 oz can you get a 6 oz glass! For the SAME price!:eek::mad:

You can also taste the syrup...:(

Have fun kiddies!:D

Exactly. The taste is Awful. NOT SURE WHY PEOPLE ARE APPLAUDING THIS, AS WELL AS HAPPY THAT CCL WILL BE SAVING STORAGE SPACE AND MONEY.

HUH!?

I would actually consider buying the program if they did this. I hate the 1/2 full canned flat soda that you have to get from a bartender. Sucks. I would totally do this though.

I agree. This is the main reason I haven't purchased one in the past too. It only makes sense that they would go to fountain drinks because it is much more of a money maker for them. I know when I was younger and working in food service we were allowed to drink as many fountain drinks as we wanted but had to use the same cup each time because that's where the cost was.

They work like any other fountain gun you see in most bars/restaurants. Guests did not have access to them, just the bartenders. Tasted just like regular fountain soda. We had the Cheers program which includes soda. DH's rum and cokes were coke from the gun, no more cans which was nice.

Thanks. Great info.

Forget the soda. How about Grey Goose from the gun like Caesars Palace!!

But seriously, if they want you to use a clean glass each time you get a drink at the buffet, what would they do about clean glasses if you got a mug with a computer chip in it? Just thinking it out.

Beer kegs don't require co2 tanks. The beer is already under pressure in the keg.

Soda for the guns comes in bags inside a cardboard box that is then mixed with water and co2. Flavor can really vary depending on water supply and whether or not the "mix" is calibrated just right along with how the lines are maintained. Lots of bacteria potential in the lines and guns if they aren't cleaned and maintained regularly.

Draft beer does require an accompanying C02 tank unless it is a tiny keg and the beer is used quickly. You can get some beer out of the keg without a tank, but there isn't enough C02 in the keg to dispense the entire keg. And the beer tends to go flat if you dont use a C02 tank with it. I have a kegerator and first hand experience.

I hope not. the local wendys has these and to me due to the way it gets mixed the flavor is too different. the regular coke taste nowhere close to fountain coke to me. not to mention I don't much care for that little bit of flavor In the line from the previous person.

I agree. It always tastes funny to me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

That's great news, thanks for sharing. So what prevents the mug holder from loaning their mug to friends and family? I can see people filling up their Tervis cups, etc. from the mug with the chip to beat the system.

That's a good point yet already people can get the drink pour it into another's cup, or just hand them the cup, then get another refill. What's the difference? I am sure they'll have some sort of safety measure.

That's a good point yet already people can get the drink pour it into another's cup, or just hand them the cup, then get another refill. What's the difference? I am sure they'll have some sort of safety measure.

posted above it was stated you can only get 1 soda every 15-20 minutes.

Bill

posted above it was stated you can only get 1 soda every 15-20 minutes.

Bill

I see that now, I posted before I got through the whole thread. Well that wouldn't work for us because 1) we are Diet Mt. Dew people (Pepsi) and 2) I only drink when I am thirsty and I drink a lot at that moment. Not unusual for me to drink a 20oz in a couple of mins. (good thing I also like water)

When was that on JH's FB ? I thought I scoured it pretty thoroughly. I must have missed it. I would buy it for myself, and possibly my kids if they had the Freestyle machines. I'm a seltzer/carbonated water drinker myself, (no sugar or sweeteners) and would like having access to it. As is, I have no interest in Bottomless Bubbles.

I would think they would be better off adding $5 to each sailing day fare and just making it free for everyone. It can't be that more expensive than the iced tea and lemonade and it would free up some bar staff for the more expensive alcoholic drinks

I would think they would be better off adding $5 to each sailing day fare and just making it free for everyone. It can't be that more expensive than the iced tea and lemonade and it would free up some bar staff for the more expensive alcoholic drinks

I wouldn't mind a modest increase in pricing in general in order to do away with charging for sodas. I rarely drink them would opt for it over that sour lemonade and unsweetened tea. I try to get at that guava juice while it's there during breakfast. Why don't they serve that all day? Geesh!:(

It used to be free in the dining room.

I would be in favor of any of the soda options mentioned above (chip mug machines, raising the rates to include soda for all etc) over the horrid bottomless bubbles program that they have on right now. My bf and I are regular soda drinkers and we each purchased the program on our last cruise. He cancelled his after day 1 and me on day 3. We felt like the waiters were constantly being "put out" by having to serve us drinks. To us, it's something that we both agreed Carnival needs to work on. On that cruise they lost approx $200 from us in revenue because of how their program was run.

I would be in favor of any of the soda options mentioned above (chip mug machines, raising the rates to include soda for all etc) over the horrid bottomless bubbles program that they have on right now. My bf and I are regular soda drinkers and we each purchased the program on our last cruise. He cancelled his after day 1 and me on day 3. We felt like the waiters were constantly being "put out" by having to serve us drinks. To us, it's something that we both agreed Carnival needs to work on. On that cruise they lost approx $200 from us in revenue because of how their program was run.

How much of a battle was it to cancel after a few days?

I didn't think you could do that.

Bill

I don't agree. I can't drink soda anymore. Why should I have to subsidize something I can't partake in?

Bill

Maybe they could just lower the cruise fare by $3 for everyone and those not allergic to shellfish or abstaining for religious reasons can pay a la carte for their shrimp cocktail?

Archived