electronic cigarette on FOS

There was a huge discussion on this a few weeks ago, or maybe longer ... no one is going to get anywhere. The anti-smokers are going to make an issue and the vaper users are going to continue to make sense as far as I can see it. I see some of the other 'rule enforcers on smoking' have already weighed in. I still say, if you're on your balcony no one is going to even know, unless someone is craning their neck around their balcony 'to check on you' and it's not going to bother anyone. I appreciate the confusion for the staff if you're using an e-cig that it would create a problem, so agree, don't do it. But 'private balcony' is just that .... you're 'private balcony' unless someone wants to 'invade your privacy' by snooping. What's next, peep holes in the cabins to see what you're doing and if it's appropriate???? Whole thing is ridiculous! Use common sense and I think all will be fine and let the ravers rave on ... and pass the popcorn!! Me, I'm going to bed! :)

Nice to read your post. The voice of common sense.

So you think they'll just continue to fine someone. OK. I have no idea. As I said, I would think getting kicked off could happen but I wouldn't know at what point.

most likely scenario is that ATTITUDE of the guilty party would play the largest role. if a person is respectful, apologizes and then does it again, yeah they will prolly continue to be fined daily. until the dude in charge has enough( 3 strikes and yer out, maybe?)

if they pitch a conniption fit and make a spectacle of themselves, start becoming verbally abusive, then their butt will be swimming home.

So you think they'll just continue to fine someone. OK. I have no idea. As I said, I would think getting kicked off could happen but I wouldn't know at what point.

Quite the opposite I'm thinking most probable outcome would be the boot. I asked WWYD if in the decision makers position? Given (hypothetically) that you are a rule follower.

Quite the opposite I'm thinking most probable outcome would be the boot. I asked WWYD if in the decision makers position? Given (hypothetically) that you are a rule follower.

Call me dumb, but what is WWYD???

And, just as an 'add on' ... booze smugglers aren't kicked off and if someone 'reports' that they craned their neck over their own balcony to 'check on someone' with an e-cig, just how are they going to prove it? Too much trouble for the line, I think. Just sayin'!! :)

Call me dumb, but what is WWYD???

And, just as an 'add on' ... booze smugglers aren't kicked off and if someone 'reports' that they craned their neck over their own balcony to 'check on someone' with an e-cig, just how are they going to prove it? Too much trouble for the line, I think. Just sayin'!! :)

WWYD - What Would You Do? (probably regional).

It is my understanding that cruisers have and will continue to be put of ships;

Captain's discretion. ;)

To some of you "I am your worst nightmare" A Smoker with a walker (not caused by smoking), I am also a Veteran Cruiser with over 70 plus Cruises so I have seen the handwriting on the wall about the smoking issue. and have complied and complied to rules for years. Am I going to give up cruising or RCCL also use other Cruiselines not at all and I do intend to obey the rules, We are currently booked on 4 RCCL Cruises in the New Year one a backtobacktoback, so I now intend to inform Our room steward I am a smoker because they can smell it on the clothes, hair, etc. not enough febreze to clear the smell completely but that I will not be smoking in Cabin but I have been experimenting with the ecigs, mint, vapor and nicotine, tested several times in car with relatives who hate smoking they could not smell a thing. Am I going to bend the rule and use the ecigs with my morning coffee and with a evening drink, I may just do that. As usual looking forward to meeting some smoking buddies in Smoking Areas and other nice folks with a live and let live attitude, of which there are many and sailing into smooth seas and sunshine.

To some of you "I am your worst nightmare" A Smoker with a walker (not caused by smoking), I am also a Veteran Cruiser with over 70 plus Cruises so I have seen the handwriting on the wall about the smoking issue. and have complied and complied to rules for years. Am I going to give up cruising or RCCL also use other Cruiselines not at all and I do intend to obey the rules, We are currently booked on 4 RCCL Cruises in the New Year one a backtobacktoback, so I now intend to inform Our room steward I am a smoker because they can smell it on the clothes, hair, etc. not enough febreze to clear the smell completely but that I will not be smoking in Cabin but I have been experimenting with the ecigs, mint, vapor and nicotine, tested several times in car with relatives who hate smoking they could not smell a thing. Am I going to bend the rule and use the ecigs with my morning coffee and with a evening drink, I may just do that. As usual looking forward to meeting some smoking buddies in Smoking Areas and other nice folks with a live and let live attitude, of which there are many and sailing into smooth seas and sunshine.

Well said, SeaboundGal! Happy cruising to you!

Good to read your post ... makes sense. My feeling is use common sense. If you 'flaunt' something and make an issue, of course there will be an issue. However, I'm with you .... you can't smell it. Maybe with some flavors there is a 'hint' of it (and it DOESN'T smell like smoke ... because it ISN'T) but it quickly disappears. Unless some nosey neighbor is too busy minding someone else's business instead of enjoying their own cruise, and violates your private balcony space and 'reports it', no one will ever even know. Even if that happens, I still don't know how anyone can prove it! And .... seriously, if there is no big deal made of it, I highly doubt the Captain will deem removal from the ship as punishment. These days there are far too many other infractions that take place onboard all the time that are much more serious the staff has to worry about. This is all cyber nonsense. In the real world it really doesn't hold a lot of water.:)

The E-cig ban in balconies will be as enforceable as telling people not to wear t-shirts in their cabins. Nobody will care or notice if you do or don't unless they are physically there with you.

I don't have a bone to pick in this battle (not a smoker), but I'm at least educating myself about e-cigs since there seems to be a lot of misinformation (and blown out of proportion information) about them.

I was really just wondering if it was allowed or do I need to hide in the corner or can I just relax on the balcony and smoke it. I am not one to advertise that I have a e-cig and do it everywhere and can understand the problems with not being able to tell if it is a real cig or a e-cig. I really do not understand the problem besides that.There are no smells with it and no ashes and no fire.I agree that if I hang of the edge with it then maybe people might think it was real but if you dont smell it and it's not effecting you then why would you complain unless you are just looking for something to gripe about.

I was really just wondering if it was allowed or do I need to hide in the corner or can I just relax on the balcony and smoke it. I am not one to advertise that I have a e-cig and do it everywhere and can understand the problems with not being able to tell if it is a real cig or a e-cig. I really do not understand the problem besides that.There are no smells with it and no ashes and no fire.I agree that if I hang of the edge with it then maybe people might think it was real but if you dont smell it and it's not effecting you then why would you complain unless you are just looking for something to gripe about.

Most of those who complain about smoke are what are called complain-a-holics and to get their "fix" they will seek out offenders. They will also seek out those who bring liquor onboard and those who do not follow the suggested attire in the MDR. Just be on the lookout as they will peek around the balcony dividers in hopes of finding something to complain about.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Can't comment on all the different E Cigs out there , but I have "smoked" "Vaped" ....whatever you want to call it, in my house, my car, all over and no one has said a word. Between DW and DD they are some heavy duty smoke complainers and I haven't heard a peep out of them.

In the privacy of your cabin, no one is going to detect a thing. On your balcony the vapor will dissapate even quicker. Of course you can bet there will be someone with their policemans badge on to rat you out. So I wouldn't even give them the satisfaction.

But in your cabin you should be fine.

I know but I will have my 16 year old with me so I still try to do it away from her and I don't want to give her any ideas that it is ok to use e cigs or cigs.She knows I do it but not around her.Thanks though. I am was kinda scared that if I did'nt bring my e cig then I might be tempted to go get the real thing. I know after a few drinks that it would be so easy to go buy a pack ..Thanks

As a e cig user I will abide by RCCL decision for now, however it has been announced by the UK government to regulate e-cigs as a medicine at which time my e-cig falls into the same category as asthma inhalers, aspirin, nebulisers and other medicines

Will I then be forced by RCCL to take my medicine in the smokers area?

and if so the question is why aren't people who use asthma inhalers or other medicines also being forced to take their medicine in the same place :eek:

Non-smoker here... Dad smokes/d e-cigs. After his lung cancer scare (heart bypass after heart bypass had no motivation), he switched to e-cigs, which I bought for him to try. He sees it as he has quit smoking. :D In a way, he has.

I think IF I were a vaper, I'd vape in my cabin. I would not have an issue with being in a cabin where the previous occupant HAD vaped. The water vapor doesn't smell like smoke.

Dad chooses not to vape around the grandchildren...because it does appear rather...cool.:cool: After research, I'd even try it if I weren't afraid of becoming dependent on a new addictive drug. Nicotine. I will stick to coffee, soda, & chocolate.

I APPLAUD the consideration & thoughtfulness of former smokers who now use the e-cigs. Thank you for not subjecting the rest of us to second hand smoke. I wish all smokers would switch.

Glad to hear the rules don't apply to you and you've determined that e-cigs are OK to use on your balcony when it is clearly stated you can't. It isn't a matter of "so many who just want to gripe about something", its a matter of that being the policy determined by RCI.

Geez.

And you can't show up in the MDR in shorts, wink, wink. or buy your under aged kid an alcoholic drink, or save chairs by the pool, go ahead and use your e-cig on the balcony or even in your stateroom. We all know how policy is enforced. Who will even know? We won't tell. We'll be elsewhere (along with our cruise dollars).

As a e cig user I will abide by RCCL decision for now, however it has been announced by the UK government to regulate e-cigs as a medicine at which time my e-cig falls into the same category as asthma inhalers, aspirin, nebulisers and other medicines

Will I then be forced by RCCL to take my medicine in the smokers area?

and if so the question is why aren't people who use asthma inhalers or other medicines also being forced to take their medicine in the same place :eek:

I never thought of this. I might be getting second had asthma medication when people use inhalers around me. (I must have been exposed when my daughter used to use one too.) They should not use those in public! Think of the people they expose to those strong drugs! Heavens! Get them out on deck away from the rest of us!

I think a lot of us are going to do it. No one can tell unless they lean around the balcony partitions and then they'll have to explain why they are peeping at neighbors!

Princess has stricter smoking regulations than Norwegian or HAL, both of whom allow smoking on balconies, but they do allow the use of e-cigarettes on balconies. I think that's the next cruiseline I'll try. They have some itineraries I'd like to try.

I feel better since I started with an e-cigarette and I honestly don't see the problem with having inside use except for so many who just want to gripe about something.

Have a good cruise!

Give Princess a try. We stopped cruising with them when they banned smoking on the balconies. They are a really nice line, and they remind me of RCCL a few years back. A little more upscale and they have great food.

June 2013, jewel of the seas. Watched a "lady" with plenty of bling setting on edge of hot tub with feet in for hours...using those new E-cig...

Will using in MDR be next?

More importantly, did the vapor bother you?

June 2013, jewel of the seas. Watched a "lady" with plenty of bling setting on edge of hot tub with feet in for hours...using those new E-cig...

Will using in MDR be next?

What does "lady" with plenty of bling have to do with anything?:confused:

I think E-cigs should be allowed only in your cabin, balcony and smoking areas but only ONLY the E CIGS in the cabins and balconys and only becouse of the no smell or fire or ashes.

I agree with you. I'm not sure having to go to the smoking areas on ship is right, but I totally understand why at this point. First, because using it elsewhere would be way too much for the staff to have to keep tabs on with people complaining, thinking it's really smoking. And, secondly, as some have mentioned, I guess there would be a few who would decide to use it in the dining room or other public places. I don't understand myself why people would do that, but I guess there might be some. Most people at this point have become accustomed to not smoking in theaters, restaurants and other inappropriate places since it's been that way for years. But, some might still think it's alright, who knows. Don't know what the answer is there. However, I would also think that most e-cig users would either use their balcony and/or cabin and just avoid the smoking area since they have given up smoking tobacco and don't like the smell, ashes of smoke and all that goes with it now themselves! Either that, or just go there anyway and deal with it. I don't know. Princess has a pretty good policy for e-cigs and both the 'smoking patrol' and e-cig users seem to have adjusted. Who knows, maybe in time it will work for RCCI. :)

Archived