what to bring on a cruise/first time cruiser

hollon

besides binoculars for our balcony, highlighter for cruise compass and $1 bills already mentioned, we bring our luggage weigher - we want our suitcase to be under 50 lbs both ways! don't forget hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm with sunscreen, Dramamine or bonine and some pepto bismol, just in case. more swimsuits and coverups than day shirts and shorts, which can be reused after only wearing for an hour to lunch. didn't need the water bottle. don't bring a hair dryer. I like to have a small purse or wristlet and even evening shoes must be comfy on these big ships. so have fun!

Baby Powder !!! It is fantastic if you're a beach goer. Just sprinkle some on your legs/feet etc when leaving the beach and the sand literally falls off with a light brushing from your hands. I won't travel without it ! Use it all summer long here in Jersey 'down the shore' when going to the beach !!

A couple of clothespins or binder clips. I use them to keep the balcony curtains closed tightly so I can nap in the afternoon. Also good if you're going to put a bathing suit on the balcony to dry, so it won't blow away.

A corkscrew - if you'll need it for wine. Don't bother bringing a corkscrew if your wine has a screw top, or if you're not bringing wine. :rolleyes: ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The best suggetion I ever got was to get a motion sensor night light. When you get up the light comes on and you can orient yourself and see around your cabin. Since I usually get up an hour or two before my wife I can get to the bathroom, get dressed and get out without disturbing her.

thank you all for your advice, i'll let my brother and girlfriend know :)

Binoculars are great.

If you are a morning coffee drinker like me, take a large insulated cup or thermos. My routine is I am up at about 5 or 6 AM, I go fill it up, go back to the cabin, sit on the balcony and get my fill.

Edited by LA_CA_GAL

I don't think I take anything I wouldn't normally take on any other sort of vacation, except my passport and maybe clothes for formal night. I would recommend taking a flashlight in case of power failure, but that is something I like to take anytime I'm staying in a hotel anyway. Also, if you are in an inside cabin (I always have been), it can get so dark in there you literally cannot see your hand in front of your face, so it's a good thing to have.

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of room on your credit card - nothing worse than having to count the pennies on holiday (within reason of course):D

Comfortable shoes - nothing worse than doing excursions with hurty feet!

Binoculars for sure (especially if you are in a balcony cabin)

Chargers and a power strip for your gadgets

Layers of clothes - a fleece is a must because you WILL want to stand out on deck at night and enjoy the wind/sea/stars and it can get a bit chilly.

Plenty of batteries and cards for your camera.

take as little as possible

money, passport and tickets and a credit card and it you forget anything else you have the means to buy it

Our packing has got less and less each trip

I always take a piece of paper with each day listed, the docking and boarding times and write next to them any arrangements - i,e if we booked dinner or an excursion and use it as a diary for the week - good old excel

I like my little wrist wrap (sold mostly for cell phones) for storing my cabin key card. I'm always pulling it out, and since I often have no pockets, it beats carrying it loose or feeling like I have to carry a purse while on the ship. It's also nice to know exactly where it is when you leave or board the ship, rather than having to hunt around for it at the security check point! I suppose something you hang around your neck would also work, but that seems to scream tourist to me, and you could be in a port where you want to avoid that!

If I'm going on an overnight flight, I take an eyeglasses case, and a tiny bag for a few toiletries for the next morning on the plane.

This is a little off topic, but useful to new cruisers: When I go off the ship in a port, I always write down the ship's agent and phone no. for that port. That info is usually given to cruisers in the little newspaper that is issued every night. If you're about to miss the ship, it comes in handy - although luckily I have never had to use it!

Edited by roothy123