Larry Pimentel Article (10/21/13)

Andy

Hi Everyone,

I thought you might be interested to read Larry Pimentel's update, from Seatrade Insider. Of note, is a significant rise in revenues. For those of us who enjoy Azamara's wonderful cruise experience, this is welcome news.

Here's a link to the article. Enjoy ! : http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/rising-revenues-global-sales-buoy-azamara-new-uk-md-due-soon.html

An interesting article, a couple of observations

*as I suspected, whilst the big charter in 2015 is not popular with some, it does make the figures look good and that could be the kind of figures the banks and markets were looking for before being comfortable with a capital spend for assets such as increasing capacity and renewing the overall infrastructure

*I read what is said about the outsource and the recognition it may need to be reversed. That is prudent business sense - not to be bullish that it will work, but to position it as it should work. There is one thing that will make the UK CEOs work harder, having just been at a major UK cruise show, it was interesting to see

A. How poor the Azamara customer experience was compared to other providers - think of it more as supermarket meat counter experience, not from the PCSs doing a great job but from the supervisors who could make no differentiation between those wanting service and an Azamara experience and others and certainly could have done with a spell on ship to understand how customer interaction should be handled (we have written into the UK Group CEO on this matter) but it did worry me how low my annual face to face interaction with the UK based team has sunk in terms of customer experience

B. How good the cruise fair experience was at competitor stands and those with complimentary products such as River cruises and how much each was making of the fact that they had UK call centres and were introducing potential guests to the equivalent of their loyalty team etc. Now whether the experience matches the rhetoric remains to be seen, but was a very telling situation all in all.

So, thanks for posting the link Andy and certainly encouraging, but I still think holding onto the UK market will be quite a challenge for the new UK CEO, I wish him or her well and look forward to seeing what direction they take the local marketing and customer support strategies, both in terms of attracting new core business but also in retaining loyalty from those who have been there for them in the past when they needed them most.

Hi Everyone,

I thought you might be interested to read Larry Pimentel's update, from Seatrade Insider. Of note, is a significant rise in revenues. For those of us who enjoy Azamara's wonderful cruise experience, this is welcome news.

I would just make 2 observations. First, with the move to more inclusive and the related per diem price increases, it is no surprise gross revenues are up year over year. And second, and more importantly, higher revenue does not necessarily equate to higher net income-- which was not mentioned.

I would just make 2 observations. First, with the move to more inclusive and the related per diem price increases, it is no surprise gross revenues are up year over year. And second, and more importantly, higher revenue does not necessarily equate to higher net income-- which was not mentioned.

I wasn't planning to burst the bubble so thanks for your post. Sorry, but I'm not buying the hype. When they invest money in fixing up the ships, I will be convinced that all is well in Azamaraland.

.... When they invest money in fixing up the ships, I will be convinced that all is well in Azamaraland.

I agree with your observation, Laraine. We enjoyed the new mattresses, as well as the new pool deck furniture, but the main dining room looks like a horrendous hodge podge (particularly with that jarring our-of-place godawful mural) now, the sad result of a partial and painfully insufficient "updating". But with only two ships, hard to take one offline for the amount of time needed for the renovations even if the money was available.

I wasn't planning to burst the bubble so thanks for your post. Sorry, but I'm not buying the hype. When they invest money in fixing up the ships, I will be convinced that all is well in Azamaraland.

Laraine,

I'm not buying the hype either. If 2014 bookings were so buoyant they wouldn't be heavily discounting 2014 cruises as they are in the UK at present.

But then, in my real life I'm a spin doctor!

I am not buying all of the hype either.

Now for another "change" - received an email from Azamara today advising that effectively Jan. 2014 the shore excursions will not be available for pre-booking at 25% discount. It says those holding reservations for a 2014 cruise can pre-book at 25% discount prior to December 31st. It also says there are new changes to the shore excursion program. Very vague. They are encouraging everyone booked in 2014 to pre-book before the end of this year (and get our money that much earlier). What if some of the "new changes" means going back to 50% discount for pre-booking excursions, or an option of 50% discount for excursions and no wines (for the non drinkers) or another type of discount, or no discounts at all....seems cruise fares went up when they included more wine, but pre-booking excursions went to a 25% savings rather than 50% - the non-drinkers lost out on that one. There is an implication that there will not be any more pre-booking discounts, but, again, only an implication. Would hate to pre-book excursions at 25% off now for next Spring only to find that after January 1st they will have an option offered for a better discount. We like to do private tours when possible, but in the past with Azamara's pre-booking discounts, it made it reasonable (and convenient) to book through the ship. There are a few places we are visiting next Spring that involve a 2-3 hour drive each way from the port to get to the sights, and no overnight in port, so we plan to use the ship's tours for those.

Mr. Pimental, if you happen to see this post, it would be nice for a little clarification as to what the new changes to shore excursion program will be.

Now for another "change" - received an email from Azamara today advising that effectively Jan. 2014 the shore excursions will not be available for pre-booking at 25% discount. It says those holding reservations for a 2014 cruise can pre-book at 25% discount prior to December 31st. It also says there are new changes to the shore excursion program. Very vague. They are encouraging everyone booked in 2014 to pre-book before the end of this year (and get our money that much earlier). What if some of the "new changes" means going back to 50% discount for pre-booking excursions, or an option of 50% discount for excursions and no wines (for the non drinkers) or another type of discount, or no discounts at all....seems cruise fares went up when they included more wine, but pre-booking excursions went to a 25% savings rather than 50% - the non-drinkers lost out on that one. There is an implication that there will not be any more pre-booking discounts, but, again, only an implication. Would hate to pre-book excursions at 25% off now for next Spring only to find that after January 1st they will have an option offered for a better discount. We like to do private tours when possible, but in the past with Azamara's pre-booking discounts, it made it reasonable (and convenient) to book through the ship. There are a few places we are visiting next Spring that involve a 2-3 hour drive each way from the port to get to the sights, and no overnight in port, so we plan to use the ship's tours for those.

Mr. Pimental, if you happen to see this post, it would be nice for a little clarification as to what the new changes to shore excursion program will be.

I'm new here to Azamara ... if I prebook an excursion thru the cruise line ... does this mean I cannot cancel it ??? and rebook something else if I change my mind ??

that seems nuts... If the cruise line can cancel for 'lack of interest' I would think I would have some options as well ....

I'm new here to Azamara ... if I prebook an excursion thru the cruise line ... does this mean I cannot cancel it ??? and rebook something else if I change my mind ??

that seems nuts... If the cruise line can cancel for 'lack of interest' I would think I would have some options as well ....

You can cancel. The odds of seeing a return to 50% discount are all but nil.

I'm happy that 2014 cruisers will at least be grandfathered in and receive the discount for land tours they were promised. This did not happen to those of us who were booked for an Azamara cruise this year and were promised a 50% discount only to be told later by Azamara that, "things change" and that the discount would be cut in half.

Seems to me that all of the changes in the past few weeks have not been for the better....changes in shore excursion rates, adding art auctions:eek:, getting rid of the harpists....I don't like the direction things seem to be going....:mad:

I am concerned about all of this. My take is that Azamara doesn't know what it wants to be. It keeps changing direction as if it is uncomfortable in its skin. Change can be good but constant change that reflects an inability to focus on one's identity is troubling IMO

This is a good product but now with a confusing message

"And though 2015 sales have been open just three weeks, four months of business is booked already, a good chunk of that charters."

I'd like to see Azamara doing better with "regular passengers" and not have to resort to having so many charters onboard.

(Though I did not refer to them as "skanky charters," Azamara seems to have more than its share of naked or swinging lifestyle cruisers. Blechh. :( )

Pacheco18- You are right on the money -

Seems they want to fix things that aren't broken, and don't care to fix the ones that are.

Makes you wonder where they are heading. They don't seem to know... We love AZ , but do not like all of the sudden changes. We only have one AZ cruise currently booked for the Spring of 2014, and have been considering a few others for Fall 2014 and 2015, but have decided to wait awhile to see what other changes are made.

Lots of action on this thread! I just wanted to include my take - for what it's worth.....I recently tried Oceania and found that I still preferred the Azamara experience - not that O was bad - it wasn't - but there I something that Az provides that makes you enjoy being on them just a little more.

That said - I want to travel on Az again .... itineraries are just not really doing it for me right now. I booked a river cruise from Vienna to Bucharest for next year and am looking for something between now and then to relax on!

Sorry Larry - I blew my budget for AZ on a face lift this year! That said - AZ is the first place I look regardless of the inclusions/exclusions. As a solo traveler, I just feel really at home, safe and comfortable with them. Not a swinger, not going around naked.....GOD FORBID .... it's bad enough looking at myself without exposing (sorry for the pun) other people ( ok "subjecting" other people) to that vision!!! LOL ;) :D :o

Azamara has become a welcoming cruise line - a special cruise line that makes you feel at home - I will sacrifice a bit for that feeling I get when boarding and feeling that you are with close friends, but I still need to see the world and the itineraries are not cutting it for me right now. I don't book my tours with them - so the discount means nothing. I need a decent itinerary .... a nice break on the single supplement and then I am back on the cruise line I love so much!

Would be nice to encourage solo travelers like the 6 star lines. Y'All hearing me? Us Boomer Singles need a good place to light!

Lots of action on this thread! I just wanted to include my take - for what it's worth.....I recently tried Oceania and found that I still preferred the Azamara experience - not that O was bad - it wasn't - but there I something that Az provides that makes you enjoy being on them just a little more.

That said - I want to travel on Az again .... itineraries are just not really doing it for me right now. I booked a river cruise from Vienna to Bucharest for next year and am looking for something between now and then to relax on!

Sorry Larry - I blew my budget for AZ on a face lift this year! That said - AZ is the first place I look regardless of the inclusions/exclusions. As a solo traveler, I just feel really at home, safe and comfortable with them. Not a swinger, not going around naked.....GOD FORBID .... it's bad enough looking at myself without exposing (sorry for the pun) other people ( ok "subjecting" other people) to that vision!!! LOL ;) :D :o

Azamara has become a welcoming cruise line - a special cruise line that makes you feel at home - I will sacrifice a bit for that feeling I get when boarding and feeling that you are with close friends, but I still need to see the world and the itineraries are not cutting it for me right now. I don't book my tours with them - so the discount means nothing. I need a decent itinerary .... a nice break on the single supplement and then I am back on the cruise line I love so much!

Would be nice to encourage solo travelers like the 6 star lines. Y'All hearing me? Us Boomer Singles need a good place to light!

Agree with you completely about the itineraries Cindi they are looking rather tired to me.

Even when they go to perfect little jewels in the med like Sete and Sanary sur Mer it is almost impossible to find future itineraries that include them.

I haven't yet travelled as a solo on Azamara but would have no problem in doing so. The atmosphere is so conducive to making new friends in an unrivalled and lovely atmosphere.

Hazel

By December we will have completed 4 cruises with Azamara this year - we absolutely love the cruise line and the whole experience on board.

We too are not happy about some of the changes but more than that, we can't find an itinerary for 2014 that excites us. Seville was a fab city to cruise into but even that is missing. There are way too many 7 night cruises and not enough longer ones. Reluctantly we are also looking at other cruise lines for next year.

Agree with everyone else about Azamara shoreside. They are absymal. We have had loads of misinformation from them and we end up asking CC members who can usually provide the correct answers!

Jilly

By December we will have completed 4 cruises with Azamara this year - we absolutely love the cruise line and the whole experience on board.

We too are not happy about some of the changes but more than that, we can't find an itinerary for 2014 that excites us. Seville was a fab city to cruise into but even that is missing. There are way too many 7 night cruises and not enough longer ones. Reluctantly we are also looking at other cruise lines for next year.

Agree with everyone else about Azamara shoreside. They are absymal. We have had loads of misinformation from them and we end up asking CC members who can usually provide the correct answers!

Jilly

Jilly,

Couldn't agree with you more about there being too many 7 day cruises.

On my return from Quest on Oct 16 I sent a tweet to Larry Pimentel on this very topic. He did respond saying 'watch this space' but realistically this means 2016 at the earliest which is too long for me to wait.

Hazel

Archived