RCCL Drink Package Thumbs Down

I don't understand. Who cares what the bill is at the end; it's just going to show up on your next credit card statement, just like pre-purchasing the package would when you are only a week out from your cruise. How does paying more upfront than you think you'd ever use make it better:confused:

I've read this before on this board and other boards and I can't wrap my head around it unless there is something pretty obvious that only I am missing (which has been known to happen)

I get it. It's not about the actual money spent but the balance once the cruise is over. On our last cruise, we did drink more than past cruises but it was also pretty cool to have a zero balance at the end.

I get it. It's not about the actual money spent but the balance once the cruise is over. On our last cruise, we did drink more than past cruises but it was also pretty cool to have a zero balance at the end.

If paying more up front instead of paying less later is worth it just to get a zero balance post cruise then so be it.

If paying more up front instead of paying less later is worth it just to get a zero balance post cruise then so be it.

I get that too. I wouldn't buy it unless I was at least breaking even. Zero balance isn't worth that much to me but I can see where someone might be OK with it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Thanks for everyones input. I'm on the Enchantment next Monday and I'm going to get the package. Even if I don't get my moneys worth everyday, it's worth it to me to not have that sticker shock on the last day.

I will be on Enchantment next Monday also... Go for the package you won't be disappointed I assure you! The staff and service are very good on there... Pool bar is my fave for service! Enjoy! :)

It is also a freedom thing, since drinks are now free you can order one any time you would like without factoring in the cost. It makes the decision to have a drink based solely on the desire to have one. I know for me it also enables me to order drinks I might enjoy more (a BBC for example) as opposed to a strong drink that is providing more "bang for the buck" (a LI tea). Too each their own

A lot of people do this. Doesn't make sense to me either.

Why not just stick money in a jar until you reach the cost of the drink package? Then you can keep the leftover money at the end, instead of Royal keeping it. If you are going to drink more than the package value, that's a different story, but good luck with that.

It is also a freedom thing, since drinks are now free you can order one any time you would like without factoring in the cost. It makes the decision to have a drink based solely on the desire to have one. I know for me it also enables me to order drinks I might enjoy more (a BBC for example) as opposed to a strong drink that is providing more "bang for the buck" (a LI tea). Too each their own

This is weird rationalizing. Unless, of course, you are pretty confident that you will spend more on drinks than the package costs.

I have had the drinks package twice on Enchantment and cannot speak highly enough for the excellent bar serve at every venue I visited as well as all the bar staff....sorry to hear of posters negative experice.

I also tipped the staff at the most frequented bar I attended (pool bar) but not until end of cruise. Service was superb there!

Same here! Enchantment 9 day back in February the bar service was outstanding with the drink package. I have enough "lovin' cups" to stock my own bar LOL!:)

It's really just different personality types. Pre-paying for a package allows you to eliminate decision making/worrying while on the cruise. The entire week, you never have to wonder how much you've spent, you never have to think that the drink you're buying costs $10 and you could save the money by not getting it. For some people, that makes the experience infinitely more enjoyable.

For me, I'm a numbers guy. I need to make sure I'm coming out ahead, and I'm good at keeping track of my spending and controlling it accordingly. DW on the other hand is completely different. She has a much more enjoyable time knowing that everything is already paid for. If she goes to a store and buys some shirts with cash, she'll come home a little down because of the money she spent. If she goes and buys those same shirts with a gift card, she comes home very happy and had a more fun shopping experience. To me there's no difference, but the psychological difference to her makes all the difference in the world.

Hopefully this helps explain that point of view...

I've got an upcoming cruise with RCL and I have a question on the RCL drink package.... Do both people in the cabin still have to get the package? We went on an RCL cruise back in Feb and that was the requirement at that time.

However, I just got off a Celebrity cruise, and with them, one person could have the package, and the other person did not have to get it. For me, the package was great, but my wife drinks pretty sparingly, and the package would not be close to worth it for her.

Since RCL and Celebrity are owned by the same company, I am hoping they might have changed the RCL package.

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked and answered but I really want to understand this issue. When we went on Oasis we took advantage of the 10 bottles of wine package and loved it (not always the best wines but we always found something we liked). We are thinking of doing this again on our Allure cruise next year. In addition to the wine package, we purchased drinks throughout the day.

I was wondering if it would make sense to purchase the Premium Drink Package and then add a Wine Package (the Premium package is only for House Wines and according to what I've seen on CC they are not very good). Does this seem like overkill? We love to have fruity drinks and call brand liquors during the day and then enjoy wine with dinner or in our cabin (we will also be bringing our cabin allotment so maybe we should purchase a smaller wine package)?

To those of you with experience with the package - what do you think?

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked and answered but I really want to understand this issue. When we went on Oasis we took advantage of the 10 bottles of wine package and loved it (not always the best wines but we always found something we liked). We are thinking of doing this again on our Allure cruise next year. In addition to the wine package, we purchased drinks throughout the day.

I was wondering if it would make sense to purchase the Premium Drink Package and then add a Wine Package (the Premium package is only for House Wines and according to what I've seen on CC they are not very good). Does this seem like overkill? We love to have fruity drinks and call brand liquors during the day and then enjoy wine with dinner or in our cabin (we will also be bringing our cabin allotment so maybe we should purchase a smaller wine package)?

Definite overkill. If you are definitely going to buy bottles of wine to drink with dinner, are you really going to want to have EIGHT OTHER DRINKS (minimum) every day?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMaxwell

I don't understand. Who cares what the bill is at the end; it's just going to show up on your next credit card statement, just like pre-purchasing the package would when you are only a week out from your cruise. How does paying more upfront than you think you'd ever use make it better

I've read this before on this board and other boards and I can't wrap my head around it unless there is something pretty obvious that only I am missing (which has been known to happen)

Nope, I am missing it too. So there are two of us.

Make that 3 of us.

I understand perfectly.............

You may know the feeling you get when you've filled your car up with gasoline, or when I lived up north, completely filled my heating oil tanks for the winter.

Its like ....Youre done now. No worries for a little while longer.. you can enjoy your car and warm house. Another example...like buying a case or two of your favorite wine......nothing left to do but relax and enjoy.

WE are greatly anticipating our Allure cruise in December. I paid for the drink package last month and it is already paid for and off my charge account......DONE. The pain of the purchase is completely behind me.

Now when I get on that beautiful ship I can only trouble myself with deciding what new delicious drink I want try next with absolutely no regard for the price.

Definite overkill. If you are definitely going to buy bottles of wine to drink with dinner, are you really going to want to have EIGHT OTHER DRINKS (minimum) every day?????

Merion Mom - that is EXACTLY the perspective I needed for this decision! Thanks!!

Merion Mom - that is EXACTLY the perspective I needed for this decision! Thanks!!

I agree completely that the wine package would be overkill with the premium package and that the wine packages are much more suited for those who like good wine. However, I would suggest that the break-even for the package is less than 8 drinks, given that the 15% gratuity is included in the price of the package. Probably closer to 7 or 6 drinks to day, if you drank only mixed drinks.

This is weird rationalizing. Unless, of course, you are pretty confident that you will spend more on drinks than the package costs.

I don't think it is weird at all. Some people place value on peace of mind (not having to even think of what the bill will be) and experimenting with new drinks (and not paying $8 for something you end up hating). Others don't. Neither way is "weird" I would say, just different approaches.

totally get what you are saying, the wines with the premium drink package in a word sucked. that said, my personal plan for my next cruise is to purchase the premium package and bring the allotted bottles on board and fill a glass before dinner each night before walking into the dining room. we also purchased a bottle or two when we dined at Chops. we did miss drinking better wines with dinner, but just made it a different experience and had one glass with dinner and moved on to trying different cocktails after dinner. and you could still purchase a bottle or two without breaking the bank if you ran out of wine in your cabin. just my 2 cents:D

Edited by jakenashleysmom

I think this is a valid question, but just like the drink package it will come down to an individual's situation. I considered it, and actually still am, for my dec cruise. There are two questions to ask.

Question #1 - Is having good wine worth paying extra for, and how much extra? I would definitely pay some on top of the premium beverage package for a better selection of wine. The question is how much. Run the numbers and see if it's worth it to you.

Question #2 - If you did get the wine package, and factoring in the the wine you would drink with it, would you still get your money's worth out of the premium beverage package. In my case, I absolutely know I would, but if you need wine at dinner to make the package worth it, you might be better off getting the wine package and just paying for drinks during the day.

The way I'm leaning right now is I'll order a house wine each night, and if I don't like it I'll take one sip and leave the rest. Then just order a beer or cocktail instead. It's not ideal, but I'll give it a shot. In the future you might see me getting both beverage and wine packages.

As far as adding wine, I think I read that you get 30% off bottles if you have the premium package. We're wine drinkers too, but we also like cocktails. There will be some meals where we'll want nice wine, so I can understand buying bottles as well.

That's not how it works.

Royal Caribbean states in their descriptions of the wine packages that you can "save as much as 20%" over buying the bottles separately.