How do you get to the port?

cruizinisthebest

I know a lot of people fly. We always have as well. But next year we are seriously SERIOUSLY considering Amtrak. We spent so much money checking bags – not to mention how we had to unpack crap at the check- in counter when we left for FL on a 6am flight! It had been a few years since we’ve flown. I had no idea the prices and the weight of the bags, etc. was that big of a deal. I really don’t want to fly again next year just because of the checked luggage hassle alone. So has anyone ever taken the train? We’ve been on Amtrak many times but never to board a cruise. From NJ I would have to time it just right.

I know a lot of people fly. We always have as well. But next year we are seriously SERIOUSLY considering Amtrak. We spent so much money checking bags – not to mention how we had to unpack crap at the check- in counter when we left for FL on a 6am flight! It had been a few years since we’ve flown. I had no idea the prices and the weight of the bags, etc. was that big of a deal. I really don’t want to fly again next year just because of the checked luggage hassle alone. So has anyone ever taken the train? We’ve been on Amtrak many times but never to board a cruise. From NJ I would have to time it just right.

If the timing was that tight, why do it? That is a heck of a long time to spend on a train from Jersey....IMHO :confused:

We drove for many years, I hate to fly but about a year ago we decided to try Amtrak and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. We live in central Mississippi, about a 4 hour drive from New Orleans. The train takes about 4 and half hours. Figuring the cost of gas, wear on the car, plus I don't have to worry about the traffic in N.O. there is not much difference in cost. Very relaxing and you see some sights you never see from the highway. I definitly reccomend it.

Edited by Yazoo cruiser

Two years ago, a member of our roll call mentioned he was a train buff, and was taking Amtrak from the East Coast to LA, and then an express to San Diego for our Panama Canal Cruise.

I said I'd meet him at the ABQ stop, because they pause for an hour, and pax can get off and buy stuff from the Native American vendors on the platform.

He was surpised that I'd come down to meet him and his wife. We chatted for a while, he got on the train, we flew to San Diego the next day, and met him again at meet and mingle 2 days later.

I've done two cruises via Amtrak, both out of New Orleans. I'm in Chicago and the train makes great sense for me (I can come in on the commuter rail, drop my bags off at red cap, go to work all day and be back in time for the 8pm departure and it gets into New Orleans around 3). I've done the NY/DC to Florida routes just not for cruises. If you can't take the train down so you arrive a day early, don't do it. The long-distance trains are more susceptible to delays than the northeast corridor trains.

But I will say I greatly prefer Amtrak to flying. The seats, even in coach, are nicer, with more leg room. The food in the dining car is better than anything on a domestic flight. And if you can do a roomette or bedroom, it's even better.

We pack light, normally we stay in the port city 1-2 days before and after cruise for a 10 day trip. We cruise from ports we have friends in, place to stay and chance to visit. We don't pay and save money by only using carry-ons/overhead bags, this also keeps all from being lost and no need to tip or use porters.

Travel is two-fold, 5-6 hour drive to the airport in Minneapolis, then long flight to Tampa/ Galveston or Long Beach.

Amtrak to Miami is typically late (sometimes by hours! :eek:) so I would not count on arriving the morning your ship sails and checking in at the pirr in time - you'll still need a cab to a hotel and then another cab/shuttle to the port.

Pack light -- my wife and I usually "share" one checked bag (75% hers! :()plus our carry-ons and do just fine for a 7 night cruise. Or fly Southwest or Jet Blue who still allow "free" checked bags.

Good luck! :)

Hi Cruizin,

I cruise every year with my father who lives in Fort Erie (the Canadian city across the river from Buffalo). We have driven to cruise (Boston), driven and flown (Baltimore) and taken the train (NYC). We love Amtrak. We board the train in Buffalo at 430 AM and we're in NYC by 1 PM. We go in a day early and enjoy a dinner and night out in Manhattan. We always buy a business class seat (or a roomette) and enjoy it immensely. You can read, sleep, chat, play cards etc.

Yes it is an 8 hour ride (same as driving) but it is so easy and we debark at New York Penn Station. We walk to a local hotel.

Flying requires us to be at airport 2 - 3 hours ahead of time, check luggage, get herded like cattle, land at Kennedy and or La Guardia, wait for luggage, find a cab, pay $70 for the privilege of being stuck in traffic. Overall it may be 2-3 hours less but the cost for the train is competitive and no stress. And the scenery is gorgeous.

Also, you can put as much luggage on the train as you wish (OK, within reason).

My Dad is 80 so easy and stress free is the selling point for us.

Cheers!

HTP

:cool:

I looked into Amtrak once but the price was more than airline and it obviously took way longer. Maybe weigh your luggage at home and figure the luggage fees into the cost of travel. Or as above said fly Southwest or Jet Blue for no luggage fees. I use Am Express Delta card for free companion ticket and no luggage fees.

It comes down to whether you want to experience a train and if you have the additional travel time.

Do remember that some Amtrak trains use freight tracks. The freight trains have priority over the passenger trains.

We took a train from Flint, MI to Toronto. Less than three miles out of the station we stopped "dead in our tracks". They were working on the tracks a few miles ahead and we sat there for over four hours. When we finally took off, we stopped at every whistle stop town between Michigan and Toronto.

I definately would not try to take a train the day of the cruise.

There are some route where it makes sense but for any long distance travel I'd avoid it unless you are deathly afraid of flying. The unpredictable travel time forces you to book a day early (which is not bad since we do that even if flying). But the cost is more than flying.

Buy a luggage scale, everyone in your party check one bag and take one carry on. That should give you plenty of luggage space to pack in. Even with the bag fees you are probably going to be cheaper than the train.

Another alternative is shipping your luggage. Most hotels will allow you to ship a bag to them and they will hold it until your arrival, but I have yet to find where that saves you money over just paying the baggage fee.

We’ve taken the train to FL, MI, and Canda before so I am used to the fact that Amtrak shares freight tracks. I swear the auto train is the worst with this. One night we sat for hours in South Carolina on our way to Sanford. Just dead stopped in the middle of the night with nothing but black outside. It was crazy! Aside from that, we’ve experienced delays on par with airline delays. I would definitely aim to arrive at least a day or two before. Driving is not an option since neither I or DH likes driving for more than a few hours. On the train you can relax, read a book, sleep, eat. So it would have to be flying or the train. Right now the prices for the train are about $600 less than airline tix. I gotta check out Southwest. I admit the checked luggage cost us a lot more than we anticipated. We got too much stuff while in Disney and the bags were probably too full to begin with. I was not expecting US Airways to charge us $90 for being 5 pounds over!! We’ll be gone about 10 days x 4 people. There’s no way we could pack with carry-ons alone.

you'd rather spend 28 hrs on a train each way because you're worried about luggage?

Hi Cruizin,

I cruise every year with my father who lives in Fort Erie (the Canadian city across the river from Buffalo). We have driven to cruise (Boston), driven and flown (Baltimore) and taken the train (NYC). We love Amtrak. We board the train in Buffalo at 430 AM and we're in NYC by 1 PM. We go in a day early and enjoy a dinner and night out in Manhattan. We always buy a business class seat (or a roomette) and enjoy it immensely. You can read, sleep, chat, play cards etc.

Yes it is an 8 hour ride (same as driving) but it is so easy and we debark at New York Penn Station. We walk to a local hotel.

Flying requires us to be at airport 2 - 3 hours ahead of time, check luggage, get herded like cattle, land at Kennedy and or La Guardia, wait for luggage, find a cab, pay $70 for the privilege of being stuck in traffic. Overall it may be 2-3 hours less but the cost for the train is competitive and no stress. And the scenery is gorgeous.

Also, you can put as much luggage on the train as you wish (OK, within reason).

My Dad is 80 so easy and stress free is the selling point for us.

Cheers!

HTP

:cool:

The op lives in Jersey. NYC to Miami is about 25 hours in a train, and all in likelyhood costs more than a airflight.

We are from Toronto so flying is really the only option for us. I haven't made that drive since I was a kid.

Pack lighter? We each take a lg suitcase and do a load of laundry, no biggie to me!

Yes either way, definitely going to pack lighter. I learned my lesson.

The op lives in Jersey. NYC to Miami is about 25 hours in a train, and all in likelyhood costs more than a airflight.

Ship is leaving from Port Canaveral. So that’s not quite as far. :o

Yes either way, definitely going to pack lighter. I learned my lesson.

Ship is leaving from Port Canaveral. So that’s not quite as far. :o

:DYou are correct, let's knock 2 hours off. The Op can obviously do whatever they want. I would just question that much time on a train....or anything else for that matter, but thats just me.

:DYou are correct, let's knock 2 hours off. The Op can obviously do whatever they want. I would just question that much time on a train....or anything else for that matter, but thats just me.

No I appreciate your input. That’s why I put it out there. To get opinions. Sometimes I can be very indecisive. ;)

No I appreciate your input. That’s why I put it out there. To get opinions. Sometimes I can be very indecisive. ;)

There is a certain romanticism (is that a word?) about it, but that would wear off in about 12 hours for me.:rolleyes:

There is a certain romanticism (is that a word?) about it, but that would wear off in about 12 hours for me.:rolleyes:

that is a word. :p

Let us know what you decide and if you do it, how it worked out. I would like to hear your thoughts about how it went.

I definitely will. I can't stay off of this board anyway!!