Electronic Cigarettes....are they allowed anywhere on the ship?

dongordon

Toothpaste? I had no idea.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002745.htm

Harriet

Here is the link. BTW, I also read somewhere that the same stuff is used in some E-cigs !!!

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/18985512/ns/health-health_care/t/throw-away-chinese-toothpaste-fda-warns/

Here is the link for E cigs.

http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm173222.htm

Edited by swedish weave

Here is the link. BTW, I also read somewhere that the same stuff is used in some E-cigs !!!

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/18985512/ns/health-health_care/t/throw-away-chinese-toothpaste-fda-warns/

Wow! Think I'll start using baking soda and get rid of all toothpaste!

http://www.ehow.com/how_4464852_brush-teeth-baking-soda.html

Harriet

The confrontations (if any) should end up being between the "vaper" and a Princess employee.

I think we would all agree this is how it should be, but since I've seen fights regarding cutting in line and chair hogs on cruises, I think there will be confrontations between the "vaper" and the one who has an issue with it. It will be interesting in a couple of months what they finally decide to do - ban them or let people smoke them.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I think we would all agree this is how it should be, but since I've seen fights regarding cutting in line and chair hogs on cruises, I think there will be confrontations between the "vaper" and the one who has an issue with it. It will be interesting in a couple of months what they finally decide to do - ban them or let people smoke them.

LOL does that mean cruise lines shouldn't allow lounge chairs? :D :D

As you so nicely point out, some will fight over anything, it doesn't mean they should ban it ;)

Here is the link for E cigs.

http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm173222.htm

That is the case for e-cigarettes once made in China (all brands tested in 2009 by the FDA are no longer on the market). However most e-juices manufactured in the US contain propylene glycol which the FDA approves as generally safe for use. This is one reason why the FDA should regulate the manufacturers of e-liquid and I have yet to meet a vaper that does not agree

Maybe it differs by brand. That was similar to my experience getting off the bus. I felt like I was in a cloud from my waist to the top of my head. It didn't stink or irritate my eyes like cigarette smoke, but still, I didn't want to be standing in it

Sorry I kind of found this slightly amusing as you didn't want to be standing in the cloud of vaper but probably had no issues with the bus exhaust because you are used to it...Even though the bus exhaust is much more harmful to your health ;)

Sorry I kind of found this slightly amusing as you didn't want to be standing in the cloud of vaper but probably had no issues with the bus exhaust because you are used to it...Even though the bus exhaust is much more harmful to your health ;)

You really need to stop with the "red herrings". I wasn't standing in the bus's exhaust. I was 30 feet away from it. Also, I CHOSE to be on the bus. I didn't choose to be engulfed by vapor.

Just stop trying to rationalize this with what you think are comparable examples

Edited by sdmike

Re-read the paragraph Mike and I'm sure you could have figured out that I was asking why I would want to bother making the switch. And sorry, the above reason doesn't match with my experiences in life. If they do with yours, I respect your beliefs, it doesn't mean I have to agree with them. ;)

Exactly...and my point was you would bother to make the switch because e-sigs are far healthier than regular ones. That was my point, referring to your question of "why would you switch if the rules are the same". Am I missing something?

Edited by sdmike

LOL does that mean cruise lines shouldn't allow lounge chairs? :D :D

As you so nicely point out, some will fight over anything, it doesn't mean they should ban it ;)

Did I say that, no.

I said that fights breakout over chair hogs and cutting in line, thus they will breakout between obnoxous "vapers" and obnoxious people against it. All Princess is doing is pitting these passengers against each other instead of making a rule that they are either banned or they are allowed.

Edited by NLH Arizona

You really need to stop with the "red herrings". I wasn't standing in the bus's exhaust. I was 30 feet away from it. Also, I CHOSE to be on the bus. I didn't choose to be engulfed by vapor.

Just stop trying to rationalize this with what you think are comparable examples

Huh? I wasn't rationalizing anything...I just find it amusing that everyone that is so uptight about clean air has a cow about harmless vapor but is OK breathing known carcinogens from car/bus/train/plane/burning coal etc... exhaust

Exactly...and my point was you would bother to make the switch because e-sigs are far healthier than regular ones. That was my point, referring to your question of "why would you switch if the rules are the same". Am I missing something?

If I have to vape my e-cig in a cloud of second hand smoke I pretty much lose the health benefits of using the Healthy alternative

Probably about the same. A recent study showed used 9 people using e-cigs in a fully ventilated room. The monitoring of the air showed that it very quickly reached levels considered to be unhealthy by the EPA. The primary reason was micro particulates. Which are also considered to be a major factor in the development of lung cancer.

Now the level was less then with normal cigarettes and also did not contain some of the toxins normally in cigarette smoke (of course you must also keep in mind that the contents are not regulated or listed for many of the e-cig liquids sold and as such can introduce other toxins). E-cigs are probably ok outside, but should still not be used inside.

In the first study, the researchers used an electronic smoking machine to generate vapor in an enclosed space. They measured the amount of nicotine as well as carbon monoxide and other potentially harmful gases and particles in the chamber.

The second study included five men who regularly smoked both tobacco cigarettes and e-cigarettes. Each man entered a room and smoked his usual brand of e-cigarette for two five-minute intervals over an hour while the researchers measured air quality. The room was cleaned and ventilated and the experiment was repeated with tobacco cigarettes.

The researchers measured nicotine levels of 2.5 micrograms per cubic meter of air in the first study. Nicotine levels from e-cigarettes in the second study were slightly higher at about 3.3 micrograms per cubic meter. But tobacco cigarette smoking resulted in nicotine levels ten times higher at almost 32 micrograms per cubic meter.

"The exposure to nicotine is lower when compared to exposure from tobacco smoke. And we also know that nicotine is relatively safer when compared to other dangerous toxicants in tobacco smoke," Goniewicz said.

E-cigarettes also produced some particulate matter, but regular cigarettes produced about seven times more. E-cigarettes didn't change the amount of carbon monoxide or other gases in the air.

"What we found is that non-users of e-cigarettes might be exposed to nicotine but not to many toxicants when they are in close proximity to e-cigarette users," said Goniewicz.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/01/03/us-e-cigarette-idINBREA020K820140103

…people might be surprised to learn that the human body adds to the air pollution by emitting volatile compounds with each exhaled breath.

One study done at Los Angeles universities studied these toxic compounds in human breath and found five specific carcinogens in trace amounts: acetone, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, butanone, and isoprene. While these toxins are lurking in the air everyday, lawmakers argue that e-cigs must be banned because they are exposing the public to these same chemicals. In reality, the very toxins in ecig vapor are going to be found in human breath whether the person is blowing out vapor or simply exhaling.

https://cfrankdavis.wordpress.com/2014/03/18/same-e-cig-toxins-in-human-breath/

Huh? I wasn't rationalizing anything...I just find it amusing that everyone that is so uptight about clean air has a cow about harmless vapor but is OK breathing known carcinogens from car/bus/train/plane/burning coal etc... exhaust

The point you're missing is that I can't avoid breathing our air. However, if I have a choice of breathing vapor, I choose not to. I also choose to not stand at the rear of a bus if I can avoid that too.

Do you seriously not understand the difference between these things and someone exhaling their vapor next to me? I feel like our discussion is over if you don't.

I don't care if you play your music loudly. Just be considerate of the people that don't want to hear it.

I don't care what religion you practice, just don't ring my doorbell to hand me a pamphlet and ask me to convert

I don't care if you smoke cigarettes (although I prefer you didn't because they will kill you) or vape, but please respectful of my desire to not breath your smoke or vapor.

It's really not that hard

Probably about the same. A recent study showed used 9 people using e-cigs in a fully ventilated room. The monitoring of the air showed that it very quickly reached levels considered to be unhealthy by the EPA. The primary reason was micro particulates. Which are also considered to be a major factor in the development of lung cancer.

Now the level was less then with normal cigarettes and also did not contain some of the toxins normally in cigarette smoke (of course you must also keep in mind that the contents are not regulated or listed for many of the e-cig liquids sold and as such can introduce other toxins). E-cigs are probably ok outside, but should still not be used inside.

Which study? I can't find any evidence of this study you are discussing.

Which study? I can't find any evidence of this study you are discussing.

I linked to it, right below their post. It was actually 5 people though. No matter, 5, 9 or 50, e-cigs are far less dangerous than regular ones. For that matter, they're safer than the air we all breath daily.

Edited by GrabMyWrist

The point you're missing is that I can't avoid breathing our air. However, if I have a choice of breathing vapor, I choose not to. I also choose to not stand at the rear of a bus if I can avoid that too.

Do you seriously not understand the difference between these things and someone exhaling their vapor next to me? I feel like our discussion is over if you don't.

I don't care if you play your music loudly. Just be considerate of the people that don't want to hear it.

I don't care what religion you practice, just don't ring my doorbell to hand me a pamphlet and ask me to convert

I don't care if you smoke cigarettes (although I prefer you didn't because they will kill you) or vape, but please respectful of my desire to not breath your smoke or vapor.

It's really not that hard

No I don't understand the difference for the simple fact of whether I am exhaling my vapor within 2 feet of you or 20 feet of you makes no difference because my vapor dissipates before it travels that distance. In addition my vapor contains no more toxins then a normal exhaled breath. Simply by standing in my vicinity whether you choose to or not you are breathing in known carcinogens that I am exhaling just as I am breathing in known carcinogens that you are exhaling. So you are missing the point...You can't avoid breathing AIR

I linked to it, right below their post. It was actually 5 people though. No matter, 5, 9 or 50, e-cigs are far less dangerous than regular ones. For that matter, they're safer than the air we all breath daily.

not the same study as the study you linked to showed no indication of unhealthy air

I see NCL UK and NCL EU have no restrictions posted on the websites in regards e-cig's

Last year on the Epic in the Med I could used my e-cig no problem in the bars

I was asked by several members of staff if I found it effective and which brand I was using as NCL allowed them to use e-cig's in their rooms

The debate here in the UK has changed in regards to e-cig's, when those that wanted them banned could not prove they were harmful and the medical experts said that though the long term effects had not been studied but based on what they did know e-cig's where preferable to smoking, they moved the goal posts. Now the argument is e-cig's glamorise the act of smoking to kids and therefore should be banned in public places

It has been pointed out in the UK that some of the organisations behind the push to ban/restrict e-cig's have a vested interest in the revenue raised from tobacco sales or the sales of alternative cessation products.

I have no problem in being restricted in were I can use my e-cig's but I think restricting there use to smoking areas of the ship is wrong

Why do people keep missing the point that we do not know what the person has in the device they are using?

Also, we do not know what the long term affect of being exposed to these devices. Species are still being discovered in parts of the world. Just because we didn't know they existed certainly doesn't mean they don't exist. Just like we don't know of any harm by using vaporizers or being exposed to vaporizers doesn't mean there aren't risks. How many medicines that have passed all stages of testing in studies and approved by the FDA end up getting pulled do to unknown risks that develop later?

Farts dont hurt people. However it would be inconsiderate to bend over and blow out my stench next to other people.

Edited by Tutankhamen

Here is a link to a website that has a wealth of information on the E-cig situation.

It contains many references to legislation and case studies of E-cigs.

Don't reject it because of the sponsor (Americans for Non-Smokers rights) because it does contain a lot of information.

It is better to be informed than just opinionated.

http://no-smoke.org/learnmore.php?id=645

In the first study, the researchers used an electronic smoking machine to generate vapor in an enclosed space. They measured the amount of nicotine as well as carbon monoxide and other potentially harmful gases and particles in the chamber.

The second study included five men who regularly smoked both tobacco cigarettes and e-cigarettes. Each man entered a room and smoked his usual brand of e-cigarette for two five-minute intervals over an hour while the researchers measured air quality. The room was cleaned and ventilated and the experiment was repeated with tobacco cigarettes.

The researchers measured nicotine levels of 2.5 micrograms per cubic meter of air in the first study. Nicotine levels from e-cigarettes in the second study were slightly higher at about 3.3 micrograms per cubic meter. But tobacco cigarette smoking resulted in nicotine levels ten times higher at almost 32 micrograms per cubic meter.

"The exposure to nicotine is lower when compared to exposure from tobacco smoke. And we also know that nicotine is relatively safer when compared to other dangerous toxicants in tobacco smoke," Goniewicz said.

E-cigarettes also produced some particulate matter, but regular cigarettes produced about seven times more. E-cigarettes didn't change the amount of carbon monoxide or other gases in the air.

"What we found is that non-users of e-cigarettes might be exposed to nicotine but not to many toxicants when they are in close proximity to e-cigarette users," said Goniewicz.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/01/03/us-e-cigarette-idINBREA020K820140103

Better then cigarettes but still negative second hand impacts

Use of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) impairs indoor air quality and increases FeNO levels of e-cigarette consumers.

Schober W1, Szendrei K2, Matzen W2, Osiander-Fuchs H3, Heitmann D4, Schettgen T5, Jörres RA6, Fromme H2.

Author information

Abstract

Despite the recent popularity of e-cigarettes, to date only limited data is available on their safety for both users and secondhand smokers. The present study reports a comprehensive inner and outer exposure assessment of e-cigarette emissions in terms of particulate matter (PM), particle number concentrations (PNC), volatile organic compounds (VOC), polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), carbonyls, and metals. In six vaping sessions nine volunteers consumed e-cigarettes with and without nicotine in a thoroughly ventilated room for two hours. We analyzed the levels of e-cigarette pollutants in indoor air and monitored effects on FeNO release and urinary metabolite profile of the subjects. For comparison, the components of the e-cigarette solutions (liquids) were additionally analyzed. During the vaping sessions substantial amounts of 1,2-propanediol, glycerine and nicotine were found in the gas-phase, as well as high concentrations of PM2.5 (mean 197μg/m3). The concentration of putative carcinogenic PAH in indoor air increased by 20% to 147ng/m3, and aluminum showed a 2.4-fold increase. PNC ranged from 48,620 to 88,386 particles/cm3 (median), with peaks at diameters 24-36nm. FeNO increased in 7 of 9 individuals. The nicotine content of the liquids varied and was 1.2-fold higher than claimed by the manufacturer. Our data confirm that e-cigarettes are not emission-free and their pollutants could be of health concern for users and secondhand smokers. In particular, ultrafine particles formed from supersaturated 1,2-propanediol vapor can be deposited in the lung, and aerosolized nicotine seems capable of increasing the release of the inflammatory signaling molecule NO upon inhalation. In view of consumer safety, e-cigarettes and nicotine liquids should be officially regulated and labeled with appropriate warnings of potential health effects, particularly of toxicity risk in children.