Electronic Cigarettes....are they allowed anywhere on the ship?

dongordon

Well, you sure make it sound simple! While I agree you need those two things, there is so much more involved! I tried many times over a 42 year span and wanted to badly, was never successful until e-cigs. Everybody is different, you can not make a general statement saying how to quit. It also came across to me as somewhat belittling to those that can not quit, I don't feel thats right either.

Where did I say that it is simple to quit? If you think it was simple to quit after smoking 3 packs a day (and that was when I wasn't drinking) for seven years was simple, I've got some prime ocean front property to sell you in Arizona. It wasn't simple, it took a lot of willpower and want. Where did I make a general statement saying how to quit? Not belittling those that can not quit, it is just that if you really want to quit, you can quit, it might be difficult but it can be done. Most smokers enjoy smoking more than they want to quit and when they truly decide that they want to quit, they usually do.

Congratulations on quiting regular cigarettes with the help of e-cigarettes.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Where did I say that it is simple to quit? If you think it was simple to quit after smoking 3 packs a day (and that was when I wasn't drinking) for seven years was simple, I've got some prime ocean front property to sell you in Arizona. It wasn't simple, it took a lot of willpower, dedication and want. Where did I make a general statement saying how to quit? Not belittling those that can not quit, it is just that if you really want to quit, you can quit, it might be difficult but it can be done. Most smokers enjoy smoking more than they want to quit and when they truly decide that they want to quit, they usually do.

Congratulations on quiting regular cigarettes with the help of e-cigarettes.

While I am totally in favor of e-cigs making it easier for someone to quit, I have to agree with NLH, the biggest thing is willpower and once quitting becomes more important than anything else, it really is not too hard (as in not impossible).

While I am not a smoker, I went through something similar with my weight. I had gained a lot of weight and from fall 2008 - spring 2009 I lost 82 lbs. Prior to this, I wanted to be less heavy, but I really didn't follow through with what I need to do to make it happen. Once I decided I was going to lose weight, and that became more important than that slice of pizza or that chocolate shake, it just took massive willpower to change my eating and exercising habits to make the change.

Have to disagree with you. I think a large majority of non-smokers were former smokers and know that it can be challenging to quit. If someone wants to quit, then they quit. I'm a walking example of it. I started smoking when I was 16 and quit when I was 32 (I was smoking three packs a day since I was 25) when I got tired of coughing all the time (it is disgusting) and haven't touched a cigarette in 32 years. Was it hard, sure it took a lot of willpower, but it was well worth it. If I knew how bad I smelled, I would have quit a lot earlier. If you want to quit, it just takes willpower and the want to quit.

If someone wants to smoke e-cigarettes, it is much better than a regular cigarette in my book.

There are ex-smokers or former smokers and non-smokers. In my mind they are different. I classify non-smokers as someone who has never smoked. My definition may be wrong but that is the way I view it.

Based on my definition non-smokers will never appreciate the depth of the problem of quitting.

Ex-smokers will understand it to different degrees depending upon how hard it was for them to quit.

However your statement of "If you want to quit, it just takes willpower and the want to quit." may be true for some people but definitely not all. As a blanket statement for everyone wanting to quit is simply wrong.

While I am totally in favor of e-cigs making it easier for someone to quit, I have to agree with NLH, the biggest thing is willpower and once quitting becomes more important than anything else, it really is not too hard (as in not impossible).

While I am not a smoker, I went through something similar with my weight. I had gained a lot of weight and from fall 2008 - spring 2009 I lost 82 lbs. Prior to this, I wanted to be less heavy, but I really didn't follow through with what I need to do to make it happen. Once I decided I was going to lose weight, and that became more important than that slice of pizza or that chocolate shake, it just took massive willpower to change my eating and exercising habits to make the change.

Congratulations on the weight loss and eating healthy! For folks that have gone through the weight loss and diet changes and adding exercise (I have done that too) it is a case of strong will power over not succumbing to all those foods that got you there..and I definitely agree. That being said though there is still a big thing missing and that is the physical addiction such as there is with nicotine. It just adds a huge extra degree of difficulty that isn't there with changing diets and eating habits. IMHO

Finally someone who understands. Do people really think think that as a smoker we just love to make others uncomfortable, to smell of smoke no we don't. But I'm going to try to be extremely understanding of others on my cruise. But hopefully when I am having a smoke on my balcony (where it is allowed) I won't have someone yelling "I'm allergic to smoke stop!" After all I too paid my fare. :)

One of the things that I find a little humorous when the smoking debates start are the balcony rants...some people will say something like "I couldn't enjoy my balcony because there were smokers next to us and they were out there smoking 24/7" While I find that hard to believe... if it was true then both the smokers and non-smokers were spending way too much time on their balconies..I think there's a lot more to do on a cruise than sitting on a balcony...but maybe it's just me! ;)

As someone who smoked and quit we all know how hard it is which is why I would ever, ever start again. I was the typical, silly teenager who started as I gave in to peer pressure. I am eternally grateful that I was able to do it. I quit quite a few times, but each time I stayed off longer eg one month, two months, three months until eventually that was it. I was determined to win in the end. I knew it was extremely bad for my health, knew how bad it was for the people around me, my husband was not a smoker, everything around me smelled, plus I hated being the social leper spoiling everyone else's clean air. Because I was so determined to quit to try and remain healthy I resent other people smoking around me. I'm sick of smokers thinking they have the right to effect the health and enjoyment of others!

(I think it's similar to people who think they have the right to drink and drive even if it does mean they crash into other people, damaging their vehicle, maiming or at the worst killing them. Hey they have an addiction too and they've paid for the right to use the roads too! That seems to be the logic of an earlier poster who seems to think because she's paid for a cruise she has the right to blow her filthy, dirty smoke wherever she wants.)

As someone who smoked and quit we all know how hard it is which is why I would ever, ever start again. I was the typical, silly teenager who started as I gave in to peer pressure. I am eternally grateful that I was able to do it. I quit quite a few times, but each time I stayed off longer eg one month, two months, three months until eventually that was it. I was determined to win in the end. I knew it was extremely bad for my health, knew how bad it was for the people around me, my husband was not a smoker, everything around me smelled, plus I hated being the social leper spoiling everyone else's clean air. Because I was so determined to quit to try and remain healthy I resent other people smoking around me. I'm sick of smokers thinking they have the right to effect the health and enjoyment of others!

(I think it's similar to people who think they have the right to drink and drive even if it does mean they crash into other people, damaging their vehicle, maiming or at the worst killing them. Hey they have an addiction too and they've paid for the right to use the roads too! That seems to be the logic of an earlier poster who seems to think because she's paid for a cruise she has the right to blow her filthy, dirty smoke wherever she wants.)

The main difference between the two is one is legal and the other is not.

Sorry if the "filthy,dirty" smoke offends you,but as long as I am able to smoke on my balcony I will.

Congratulations on the weight loss and eating healthy! For folks that have gone through the weight loss and diet changes and adding exercise (I have done that too) it is a case of strong will power over not succumbing to all those foods that got you there..and I definitely agree. That being said though there is still a big thing missing and that is the physical addiction such as there is with nicotine. It just adds a huge extra degree of difficulty that isn't there with changing diets and eating habits. IMHO

I believe that losing weight is much harder than quitting an addiction like smoking, because you still need to eat food to live so the temptation is always there, where as you don't have to have a cigarette to live. You never have to touch a cigarette again as long as you live, but you always have to eat food.

Even though I'm a non-smoker, I feel if someone pays for a balcony cabin and wants to smoke out there all day, unfortunately with NCL rules, they can. I think the problems lies with both sides of the issue. If both sides were a little more considerate to each other, then everyone could enjoy their cruise. I think that those that show no respect for the other side ruin it for all of us.

I, thankfully, have not had a smoker next to me on my cruises, but I do pack a small battery powered fan to blow the smoke away if it ever happens. To me this is a win win for both sides; they can smoke and I can have a smoke-free balcony.

One of the things that I find a little humorous when the smoking debates start are the balcony rants...some people will say something like "I couldn't enjoy my balcony because there were smokers next to us and they were out there smoking 24/7" While I find that hard to believe... if it was true then both the smokers and non-smokers were spending way too much time on their balconies..I think there's a lot more to do on a cruise than sitting on a balcony...but maybe it's just me! ;)

A lot of us cruise to sit on the balcony and look at the water. That is one reason we book our aft ph on the Sun with the huge balcony. Going for a three-peat. I live in Dallas. Maybe if I lived on an ocean or even a lake it might be different. So, for me there is not too much time on the balcony. People cruise for different reasons. I won't judge so it would be nice to get that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I'm confused. :confused: How do e-cigs help you quit smoking? Do they have far less nicotine than regular cigarettes? And are there zero toxins being exhaled? This is all new/fuzzy science to me. :o I'm just curious.

I know this thread has gotten away from the OP's question, but I wanted to share my own experience with cigarettes. I was smoking three packs a day after smoking for over 30 years when I finally quit on May 23rd, 1994. That was the one year anniversary of my father's death from lung cancer at age 64. At his bedside, he made me promise to quit. It took me an entire year to gain the knowledge and willpower. I'll never forget watching my reflection in my kitchen window, just before midnight on the 22nd, as I thoroughly enjoyed my final cigarette. I may have had two. ;)

My preparation for this was the nicotine patch, a game plan that included going to places where I couldn't smoke like the movie theater and library, and my favorite suggestion from the American Cancer Society: "When you are craving a cigarette just remember, whether or not you smoke a cigarette, the urge will pass in ten minutes....find something to take your mind off it."

I think the two things that helped me the most were the nicotine patch, (the first one got me HIGH!) (DH didn't use them and had a much harder time quitting), and being a pariah in society. I'm sorry smokers, but I think it may be helpful to your quitting if people disdain you. I know it started bothering me back in 1990. I hated the looks because I knew they were right.

I certainly don't want to come across as thinking I'm holier than thou, but speaking for myself, cigarette smoking annoys me more now than it ever has. It really hurts my lungs. And I've lost not only my father, but my brother and two maternal aunts to lung cancer.

I wish the federal government would just make them illegal. It's just wrong to tell smokers you will surely get cancer from this product but it's okay to smoke as long as you stay in this little tiny area, it's okay to keep manufacturing it as long as we super-tax it and you put all these warnings on the packs, and then we limit the advertising.

Let's get real people and help folks to quit.

We allow smokers to use e-cigs in our office, and it isn't objectionable at all. No one has complained. It took me a while to figure out what the heck they were. I'm sensitive to odor, and I can smell a slight fragrance, but certainly not overpowering, and not objectionable. And I am pretty sensitive to smells; one of the women wears a perfume that smells like vomit to me, but it doesn't bother other people. Should I tell her to stop wearing it?

There are cities here trying to figure out how to ban e-cigs, but I think that's a moral crusade rather than one based on any kind of scientific fact. Private property owners like NCL can do what they want, but the government should have a very solid reason to ban something. Not that it "looks bad".

Most of what we call "fun" is risky: drinking, smoking, eating too much, going on a boat that could sink, going snorkeling, visiting foreign countries, etc. I would much rather have someone on the next balcony smoking an e-cig than I would a regular cigarette.

Here is a solution for balconies, for smokers and non smokers and the whiners on both sides..., how about making starboard side balconies smoking (or people who could care less) and port side balconies non-smoking...?

Sent from my MB855 using Forums mobile app

I am the one that originally started this thread it took on a life of its own. :)

Can someone please tell me if they recently came off the Breakaway and saw people smoking the ecigs in the lounges.

I am really glad that my wife gave up the real cigs and has gone to this format instead and thought she can really enjoy the cruise without having to frequently leave my side to have a smoke outside or in a special area on the ship.

I cannot understand the objection.....it is much safer than all these people that do not wash or disinfect their hands frequently and spread germs throughout the ship. Being in the medical field, this contributes to more problems in hospitals than second hand smoke that one inhales occassionally!

Did you know that an average of 270 people die from hospital aqcuired infections every day in our hospitals and we go there to try and get well.

I strongly bekieve that hand sanitizers should be all over the ship, not just before you enter an eating place.

Hospitals now have them everywhere you go.

Sorry about getting on my soap box.

Don

I am the one that originally started this thread it took on a life of its own. :)

Can someone please tell me if they recently came off the Breakaway and saw people smoking the ecigs in the lounges.

I am really glad that my wife gave up the real cigs and has gone to this format instead and thought she can really enjoy the cruise without having to frequently leave my side to have a smoke outside or in a special area on the ship.

I cannot understand the objection.....it is much safer than all these people that do not wash or disinfect their hands frequently and spread germs throughout the ship. Being in the medical field, this contributes to more problems in hospitals than second hand smoke that one inhales occassionally!

Did you know that an average of 270 people die from hospital aqcuired infections every day in our hospitals and we go there to try and get well.

I strongly bekieve that hand sanitizers should be all over the ship, not just before you enter an eating place.

Hospitals now have them everywhere you go.

Sorry about getting on my soap box.

Don

Does the vapor exhaled from e cigs contain any nicotine? I asked this but never got an answer as I am allergic to nicotine.

To my understanding, it depends on what the person buys. Some have no nicotine, and others have varying strengths. Theoretically, someone trying to kick smoking would start with the strongest strength and over time reduce to none. I have known some folks to start right out with no nicotine, just being able to puff and hold the e-cigarette is all they need to replace regular cigs.

It is my understanding that the amount of nicotine coming out of the vapor from these ecigs is negligible if any.

I have heard that inhaling the air in our major cities is much more toxic.

IMHO, if you are so worried about the vapor from these ecigs, do not get on the Breakaway in NYC....you are in great danger!! :)

Don

Here is a solution for balconies, for smokers and non smokers and the whiners on both sides..., how about making starboard side balconies smoking (or people who could care less) and port side balconies non-smoking...?

Sent from my MB855 using Forums mobile app

Assumes equal level of interest. They wouldn't fill the ship.

To my understanding, it depends on what the person buys. Some have no nicotine, and others have varying strengths. Theoretically, someone trying to kick smoking would start with the strongest strength and over time reduce to none. I have known some folks to start right out with no nicotine, just being able to puff and hold the e-cigarette is all they need to replace regular cigs.

You are 100% correct. I quit - after 25 years, and it was a "piece of cake" using a combination of an ecig and patches. Stubbed out my last cig over a year ago now- and I only wish ecigs had been invented years ago! I started on 24mg - then 18mg - then 10mg - then and now = zero nicotine. Just menthol vapour which dissipates around 6 inches from exhale - so for another person to even be aware of the vapour- they would have to be VERY close! (in fact, if you hold something in front of you ie a bar menu etc - no one would even know you are vaping)

I took my first smoke free cruise this year - and what a joy it was.I am of course now very aware of smokers - it doesnt bother me - It was just a joy not to be "on that side" anymore. For anyone considering quitting, I suggest you stock up first before your quit date, on both ecigs and patches. Then - as easy as saying - no more cigarettes - you can quit - just - like - THAT !

I use my zero nicotine ecig when I feel like it now.Long haul flights used to be my worst nightmare. I travel long haul a lot, and hated those long journeys where often I was stuck air side in transit airports - I would even at times, choose later connecting flights just so I would have time to exit security, and check back in again (yes even going through all that hassle, shoes off, liquids in bag, line up etc etc etc) - Just so I could nip out for that desperate drag :rolleyes:

On a cruise ship - I had no problem with my ecig - Some bars and clubs only allow blue/green lights - or shisha pens which are not technically ecigs. Ive had originally tobac - then menthol, but also had pina colada, mango and papaya! The vapour from ecigs is by FAR less noticeable than say, someone spraying perfume.

As for chemicals - every day in life, anyone who eats processed food of ANY kind - is putting numerous toxins in their bodies. As for the city, I live in a biosphere, and dark skies park - our air is about as pure as it gets. I love to go to the city, but come home red eyed and with stuffed up sinuses as I am not used to pollution. I can smell "the city" in my hair and on my skin - every - single - day - people LIVE in this - and they question cigarette smoke?

I will take my chance with my ecig - by far less riskier than putting over 4000 toxins and tar into my body with every drag. I do buy from a reputable UK company, and to be honest, when I tried some (particularly those with a load of chinese writing attached :o) - my body told me they were "not right" - I do believe they should be tested and controlled, but that of course willl lead to taxes - although, when buying in the UK, the government is picking up the revenue in VAT. Obviously after 25 years of smoking I have done irreparable damage - but the good news is - I can see a HUGE difference in my health and well being. Skin, teeth, gums, breathing- fitness level - significantly improved!

On our last cruise we had heavy chain smokers on the balcony next door. It didnt bother me, but I was surprised to learn that yes, the smoke does smell - and I finally can understand why non smokers dont like it. I just feel pity now - that people are still controlled by the death trap that is cigarettes. NCL will in time impose a balcony ban - that is simply inevitable. It will come - sooner rather than later. We all know that its on the cards. For me - until this last year, I cruised ONLY on lines where I could smoke. I quit Celebrity cruises - and over the last few years chose Costa - purely for its smoking policy. Life - was all about "Can I smoke". Hotels, cruiselines, did a restaurant have a covered outdoor patio for smoking. Everything revolved around my cigarette fix! What a pain in the backside I was for my family I am downright ashamed to say. :(

I will never become a sanctimonious, waving arms, coughing etc etc non smoker. I was shocked that I quit - everyone around me was shocked I quit - me, the 50 a day silk cut - straight to zero - and for sure - thanks to ecigs. I like smokers - I like the "craic" and well - if there is one thing I miss its the "lepers corner" - where smokers gather and many a lifelong friendship has been started ;)

If anyone out there - reading this - has a desire to quit - please let me know - Id be happy to share with you my "quit smoking in ten minutes miracle" - :) - Promise you - ten minutes - and you will never smoke again! It costs nothing more than ten minutes of your time - and its goodbye cigarettes forever!

• 2 months later...
Does the vapor exhaled from e cigs contain any nicotine? I asked this but never got an answer as I am allergic to nicotine.

It must suck being allergic to nicotine. I guess you can't eat tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, teas and cauliflower.

And to answer your question, yes vapor that comes from a e-cig where the consumer uses a nicotine juice has nicotine in it. I am presently vaping a zero nicotine juice so my vapor does not have nicotine.

Edited by Tutankhamen

• 1 month later...
First congratulations on beating the smoking habit. I am not a smoker, but does the exhaled vapor that has no smoke smell contain any other chemicals like nicotine? I have an allergy to nicotine and can become sick if exposed to a ton of second hand smoke. If there are no chemicals in the vapor I have no issues with them being used in non smoking areas. BTW my nicotine allergy kept me away from the temptations of smoking as a youth for which as an adult I am grateful.

I realize this is an old thread but hoping you will check it because I for one am curious as to how you know you are allergic to nicotine? A ton of second hand smoke has a ton of chemicals. How did you determine that nicotine is the one you are allergic to?