LAX to San Pedro shuttle without a reservation

Nebr.cruiser

We are cruising out of San Pedro in December, arriving the afternoon before the cruise. On previous cruises from LA I have always reserved seats for us on the Super Shuttle and have had no issues with their service.

I notice that several people have said that they didn't reserve space on the shuttle ahead, just went to the kiosk after getting their luggage and then waited until a shuttle was ready to leave.

I am tempted to try this, but want to be sure we won't be left waiting around for an hour or more for a bus to fill up. I realize that, even with a reservation, we will wait for a while, but it has never been more than a few minutes.

So, did this work out ok for you, if you went without a prior reservation? It sounds much easier.

Thanks. I don't know why, but I am kind of burned out with planning and just don't feel like going the whole reservation route, but I guess I'll just go ahead and do it.

Last time we even prepaid, including the tip, which seemed to startle the driver. He didn't seem to be aware tips could be included.

I no longer make "shared service" shuttle reservations when arriving at LAX. You might get a slightly lower price with a reservation, but I'm not convinced the service is any different (at least, that's my experience). But be sure to allow sufficient time because many of the drivers won't leave the airport until their van is (mostly) full.

For those who have used the Super Shuttle service...can you tell me if booking the 4person transfer for $58 is much faster or better than the shared shuttle for $17per person, that seats up to 9 people? Or would we have to wait much longer to find two more people willing to pay the extra money for the smaller vehicle?

For my husband and myself, paying $58 instead of $34 is not that much of a stretch, so if it's a lot faster, I think we would consider it worth the money.

• 3 weeks later...

our Princess ship embarks at berth 46...never had to go there before so my question does the "Red Van" take you to the right berth from the airport or to the normal pier? Or should I just spend the extra money and use the cruise line transfer? We always have used the Red vans in the past and its been great

I've never seen a kiosk there..we just go out to the curb where it comes. The reason I like having a reservation is when there is a crowd, I just show my paperwork and say I have a reservation and they take me ahead of those who don't. Same thing when I get off the ship.

• 3 weeks later...
How far in advance should you book a shuttle for an early May departure?

I'm the OP. I finally decided to go ahead and book a shuttle just because it's easy and then it is all done and paid for. I booked just a couple of days before our Dec. 3rd arrival in LA.

I don't think there is any reason to book really early except to get one more thing off the to-do list. You're not reserving a specific shuttle and time; you just exit the airport, go to the designated area, and wait until a shuttle going your way arrives and fills up (or partially fills up.)

We got lucky and had less than a ten-minute wait for a shuttle. There were several drop-offs and our trip was over an hour to the port area (Crowne Plaza Hotel).