Priority embarkation for disabled cancelled because of FTTF?

bobbygirl

Cruising soon with our son and his wife. This year, she has lost her sight (completely blind), has developed chronic myelogenous leukemia and is having a bone marrow biopsy (in her hip) done the day before we cruise. Not a good year, so we're going to create some good memories on this vacation.

She called customer service, and they told her that they will have a wheelchair ready for her at the terminal. However, because of the new FTTF program, they are no longer providing priority access onto the ship for those requiring wheelchair assistance. Anyone heard of this new policy?

Edited by bobbygirl

Cruising soon with our son and his wife. This year, she has lost her sight (completely blind), has developed chronic myelogenous leukemia and is having a bone marrow biopsy (in her hip) done the day before we cruise. Not a good year, so we're going to create some good memories on this vacation.

She called customer service, and they will have a wheelchair ready for her at the terminal. However, because of the new FTTF program, they are no longer providing priority access onto the ship for those requiring wheelchair assistance. Anyone heard of this new policy?

No and it does not seem right. Try sending an email/and or calling again. It's not unusual to get an incorrect answer when you call. Definitely get this in writing. I cannot image that anyone with a disability would have to wait for FTTP pax before they could board.

I don't usually recommend raising the roof on most issues. But this is one where someone needs to speak up. You can also post this question on John Heald's Facebook page and that should get some attention https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald

John Heald is Carnival's Senior Cruise Director and Brand Ambassador.

Good Luck and hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

I would think disabled passenger help would trump all others.

Perhaps they might be directly after FTTF?

Call an ask again.....or perhaps ask at Special Needs Dept.

Have a good cruise!

I think Carnival issued such a statement. They said they had plenty of wheelchairs and would provide assistance but they could not go on with platinum because of the numbers of FTTF. They would have to wait........in a wheelchair until they were all boarded.....or when the group they were with was boarded.

They sounded like they would treat them well, give them a Chair, push them....but not Priority.

FTTF makes me see red. I sailed a lot to get those perks, and now for up to five people in a cabin$50 buys it...so I will say no more. I wonder if Carnival is concerned with the frail being caught in some of those crowds.

it did not sound like they were trying to be mean to the sick and disabled. Someone else MUST have seen that statement. Or press release or whatever it was...

Edited by AmberTeka

So I called customer service myself, and they indeed confirmed that although a wheelchair is provided, the disabled passenger has to wait in line like everyone else.

I was put on hold while the Carnival employee spoke to someone in the Guest Services. They have my DIL's medical information on file, and said that due to her various conditions, likely they can do something. I have to contact Special Needs tomorrow morning and arrange things then.

I wouldn't have an issue with purchasing FTTF, but it's sold out. I just don't want her waiting around for a couple of hours if it can be avoided.

She called customer service, and they told her that they will have a wheelchair ready for her at the terminal. However, because of the new FTTF program, they are no longer providing priority access onto the ship for those requiring wheelchair assistance. Anyone heard of this new policy?

Try emailing specialneeds@carnival.com and ask your questions.

http://www.carnival.com/legal/guests-special-requirements.aspx

Or:

Carnival's Special Needs Desk (305-599-2600 ext. 70025)

Definitely contact special needs. Unfortunately, the mere presence of FTTF in any thread title will subject you to some not so nice posts. This has nothing to do with perks or status or anything. It's giving a little extra assitance to someone that can't see for goodness sake. Why anyone would have an issue with that is beyond me. Good luck with your plans OP and have a wonderful trip.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I travel with my two disabled adult sons, one of whom uses a wheelchair. I just arrive at the port when the crowds have thinned out, such as 2 pm. No waiting, get right on the ship and go right to your cabin. We find there is plenty to do in whatever port city we are leaving from.

If you are well enough to travel out of the country on a cruise, then you are well enough to SIT in a wheelchair until your group is called.

End.of.story.

Otherwise, I'm gonna claim a "unseen" illness... get a wheelchair to haul my butt up the gangway first, get lots of other "privliages".. and have a great cruise!

Yes, sick is sick. But if you have doctor's approval to travel, then you make accomodations for your travel. Period.

I agree that "priority" boarding can be abused, and from what I've read on CC, it's not just in the case of passengers in wheelchairs. So I understand your point.

The cruise has been booked for several months and her condition has changed in the last 10 days or so. My DIL tried to reschedule the biopsy until after the cruise, but the doc said no, although he okayed the vacation. Unfortunately the last time this procedure was done, it was botched and she was in pain for a month. She's on extra meds right now, so needs a little TLC. Just trying to make her life a little easier!

I travel with my two disabled adult sons, one of whom uses a wheelchair. I just arrive at the port when the crowds have thinned out, such as 2 pm. No waiting, get right on the ship and go right to your cabin. We find there is plenty to do in whatever port city we are leaving from.

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip! :)

you know what? I take it back.. a bit

If you are well enough to travel out of the country on a cruise, then you are well enough to SIT in a wheelchair until your group is called.

End.of.story.

Otherwise, I'm gonna claim a "unseen" illness... get a wheelchair to haul my butt up the gangway first, get lots of other "privliages".. and have a great cruise!

Yes, sick is sick. But if you have doctor's approval to travel, then you make accomodations for your travel. Period.

I agree with you 100%. I have seen it with my own eyes. I've seen people hop into a wheel chair and get wheeled on board with family in tow. I saw the same person later on in the cruise dancing the night away. Tacky, but people feel entitled even when they aren't.

In August on the Freedom, Weddings went first, then priority & FTF. Then handicapped followed. Maybe it's changed since then?

FTF ticks me off as well~ I paid thousands for what they get now for $50.

As for handicapped embarkation.. There are a lot of people using it that don't need it. They have learned the ropes to getting on early. That may have caused the change as well. The only reason IMO handicapped should get any kind of priority is if they are in a wheelchair and after the other above mentioned categories. And that would be because wheelchairs do hold up the process for boarding. Not meaning anything negative at all by that, certainly people need them, my father uses one. If they are well enough to cruise they are well enough to wait their turn.

I don't recall our experience with a wheelchair on Carnival (several years ago), but I know last year on Disney Cruise Line, wheelchairs boarded with their regular boarding group - we were a group of 6 (in 2 cabins), with 2 people in wheelchairs. We waited in the terminal until our boarding number was called and then joined the group; we had no issues at all with the process (in that particular terminal, we had to go "up" once the boarding group was called, so we just hung out near the elevator, while most others used the escalator).

the answer

John Heald Guests who need wheelchair assistance will be made comfortable in the wheelchair and have a Carnival staff member with them. Once our Diamond and Platinum and FTTF guests have embarked those who need wheelchair assistance will be assisted on board before the rest of the guests so they do so comfortably and with no stress. It has been this way for some time.

15 minutes ago · Like

Edited by vols_159

I am disabled and just got off of the Triumph2 weeks ago. I ride a scooter to get around as I cant hardly walk. They embarked the disable with the zone that you are waiting in. I was in the first group after they loaded the Wedding groups first then the platinum and the FTTF. I arrived at the port at about 10am and was on the ship at about 11:45. The only accomadations that they have is a special check in station for people with special needs. I don't see that it is problem for anyone to wait their turn to board. There are people that earned or paid to board first. Just because someone is disabled, they are not special. Just go with flow and enjoy your cruise and family. I DID!!!!!!

I think the most important accomodation would be a place to sit and assistance boarding. It sounds like Carnival will provide that accomodation. My grandma is 86 and refuses to use anything more than a cane. We waited to board with our zone, made sure she had a place to sit and took our time on the gangway. We did get a wheelchair for her at our layover airports because we wouldn't have made it to our next gate in time otherwise.

OP, I understand that your DIL has had a bad year and I can't even imagine. I hope you can make it a special cruise for her and help her forget her troubles just a little bit.

the answer

John Heald Guests who need wheelchair assistance will be made comfortable in the wheelchair and have a Carnival staff member with them. Once our Diamond and Platinum and FTTF guests have embarked those who need wheelchair assistance will be assisted on board before the rest of the guests so they do so comfortably and with no stress. It has been this way for some time.

15 minutes ago · Like

This is the best answer, and I appreciate that it was posted. It clarifies things for me. This is a sensitive & emotional issue, and please bear in mind that my original post was prompted by concern for the comfort of a family member going through a rough time and who is looking forward to some cheering up on this cruise. Although I respect everyone's opinions on the topic, it's time to wrap this up. Come what may, we'll have a great time.

Happy cruising everyone!

I noticed you said you are cruising the day after the biopsy. I had a friend (early 20s at the time) that had leukemia and had to go through numerous biopy procedures over the years. Many times she was in no condition the next day to do anything - let alone head out on a cruise. I don't know if your daughter has had this done before - but in case she hasn't I just wanted to pass along some info. She has definately had one hell of a rough time lately and I wish her the best on her long road ahead.

Got off the carnival sensation, port Canaveral 2 weeks ago. DH had to use a wheelchair for medical reasons for this cruise. We notified carnival and requested a handicap room. Had to pay a bit more for this as it apparently was considered an upgrade. We arrived at the port and waited in the platinum line. After we checked in at the door it became a joke.. As my husband was trying to figure out how to get thru security I was fighting with the people going thru the regular lines and placing there items on the scanner without giving us a chance to place our few small bags. Finally we made it upstairs to get our sail and sign card and that became another task. I had to push my husband from one end of the hall to the other twice, because the small room they use for platinum/diamond VIFP could not accommodate the amount of people. Not once during the time we arrived at the port to the time we finally got in our cabin did anyone employed by carnival offer any assistance. This statement is also the same for embarkation. One female did say I'm sorry but we can't help you! I thanked her anyway.