Man Overboard? - Grand Princess

Donaldm

My friend in Honolulu is expecting a friend on the ship. She found a website that makes it look like the ship is once again on the move. It seems to still be saying that the ship will dock at 7:00 AM their time.

What kind of websites can one look at to see where the ship is located now, Pam?

My friend in Honolulu is expecting a friend on the ship. She found a website that makes it look like the ship is once again on the move. It seems to still be saying that the ship will dock at 7:00 AM their time.

What kind of websites can one look at to see where the ship is located now, Pam?

Use your Shipmate App. It will show the Grand near the Big Island. Go to Ship Location. Position your map to zoom in on the islands. Or go directly Cruise Ships and go to Princess, the Grand and click on ship tracking.

I am very sorry to hear about this sad event. Not everyone that commits suicide does it due to depression, some medications can give you suicidal ideas. Neurontin (sp), is one such medicine and it is given for nerve pain after spinal surgery, as well as other nerve damage related conditions. We are in no position to judge what caused this poor woman to take drastic action. I feel bad for all the passengers on this ship, and hope they are able to enjoy the rest of their cruise, as much as anyone can in this situation.

My friend has had many downs in her life and not a lot of ups. She is now on medication and is doing better but I think it is a challenge every day. She has a great doctor and many friends to help support her.

Thank you for being one of those friends that she needs and sounds like she has.

Jamie

The comments,....why oh why did i even read them....on the CNN board are cruel, callous, myopic, moronic, mean....i could go on and on.

It is indeed sad that the internet is used as a tool to spread, what the comment writers think, is banter and humour. Freedom of speech is a right but to use it so maliciously ..just because you can....seems unjust and wrong...just my opinion.

The few sympathetic responses to this sad incident were flamed. A very tragic final action by this troubled passenger.

It makes me very angry. How can anyone think this is a laughing matter? Our society has become very callous and uncaring.

You can check the location on http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/home

FYI, if you're a fan of "Deadliest Catch," you can check the position of the boats. :)

Thank you, Pam, you are always a fountain of wonderful information!

I tried to check out my shipmate App as Cr8tiv1 said to but it will not update! It tells me that the Grand is half way to Hawaii (two days ago!) and that the Star is in Hawaii (4 days ago!)

My friend who is expecting to see her friend still has not heard from her and can not see the ship at the port (12:30 PM EST)

I am sure that those onboard will need some serious time to unwind when they do get to a port! My heart goes out to all those onboard and the family of the woman involved.

Thank you, Pam, you are always a fountain of wonderful information!

I tried to check out my shipmate App as Cr8tiv1 said to but it will not update! It tells me that the Grand is half way to Hawaii (two days ago!) and that the Star is in Hawaii (4 days ago!)

My friend who is expecting to see her friend still has not heard from her and can not see the ship at the port (12:30 PM EST)

I am sure that those onboard will need some serious time to unwind when they do get to a port! My heart goes out to all those onboard and the family of the woman involved.

For what it is worth the SeScanner Website now shows her in Honolulu. Link here:

****************************/schiffsposition.php?schiff=Grand+Princess

Edited by IdahoCruises
revise link

The follow letter was released this morning to the passengers:

November 15, 2013

Dear Passenger,

We are saddened to report that the female passenger, who went overboard, was not located after an extensive and thorough search conducted by the USCG and the Grand Princess. A Princess Cruises' Care team member has been assigned for the passenger's traveling companion to support him at this difficult time. Upon arrival in Honolulu authorities will join the ship to conduct an investigation. Of course we will continue to work with all appropriate authorities to continue our efforts to assist in locating the passenger.

Due to the necessary delay, we will now arrive in Honolulu one day later than originally scheduled on Saturday, November 16th at 10:00am and depart at 10:00pm. Given this delay we have made the necessary decision to cancel our call to Kauai (Nawiliwili). The remainder of the itinerary will be as scheduled; however arriving in Hilo on Sunday, November 17th at 9:00am and we will sail at 6pm. There is no change to Lahaina.

For those passengers already booked on shore excursions in Kauai (Nawiliwili) your shipboard folio will be credited automatically. There is no need to visit the Tour Office or Passenger Services Desk to receive your refund.

We appreciate your support and understanding during this very sad turn of events. Again, we ask that you keep the missing passenger, her family, and friends in your thoughts and prayers. We look forward to the remainder of our time together on the Grand Princess as we sail for Honolulu.

Kind regards,

Captain

Grand Princess

While it's sad for the family it was also a very selfish act. Some of those people have saved all their lives to be able to take this cruise and this person who decided to jump overboard has heavily impacted their trip of a lifetime.

Suicide is usually a pretty selfish act without regard to the havoc it causes in other people's lives.

I agree that suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness. If you don't realize how your suicide will affect the lives of the ones that love you, then you are completely self-absorbed.

Is there a better example of self-absorption than those who would deem to know what awareness the mentally ill might have of their actions and its consequences?

Is there a better example of self-absorption than those who would deem to know what awareness the mentally ill might have of their actions and its consequences?

If you haven't had it happen to you, the self-absorption lies with the person who killed themselves. They do not know the mental anguish they have caused to everyone knowing that person. In my case, his child is really suffering mentally - we are all worried about him.

We were on the previous sailing and I was puzzled this morning to check the bridgecam and see the ship arriving in Honolulu. Thanks to those on board who posted here and those who posted the links to the news story. CC is a great community.

Having just been on the Grand, my thoughts are with the family and friends left behind, the terrific crew of the Grand and the current passengers.

Very sad...

If you haven't had it happen to you, the self-absorption lies with the person who killed themselves.

This sounds a bit topsy turvy. If this is mental illness and they are unable to think clearly, or they genuinely believe that they are doing everyone a favor, or, for that matter, they are driven by forces completely outside their control, all of which can and does happen, it is beyond judgmental to call them self absorbed.

We were on the previous sailing and I was puzzled this morning to check the bridgecam and see the ship arriving in Honolulu. Thanks to those on board who posted here and those who posted the links to the news story. CC is a great community.

Having just been on the Grand, my thoughts are with the family and friends left behind, the terrific crew of the Grand and the current passengers.

Very sad...

We are just off the Grand and our hearts go out to everyone as well.

Hope to never have to go through what the passengers are crew have just experienced.