Man Overboard? - Grand Princess

Donaldm

Sorry if this is a duplicate.

We don't know if anyone was travelling with her. It is so sad.

This morning (November 14) the captain announced that the missing woman had still not been located. The Coast Guard's C-130 aircraft and a cargo ship are also searching for her. The Coast Guard has ordered the Grand Princess to continue searching today, but we might get permission to go on to Hawaii late in the afternoon or early evening. We will have been delayed for almost 30 hours.

My heart breaks for everyone who is touched by this. I am going to make a huge assumption that the woman who jumped may have suffered with some type of mental illness. While, I know that many people are being inconvenienced by this, I also think this woman (and others who contemplate suicide) deserve our compassion.

Shame on those who have reduced a life to a punchline on CNN and other news sites.

Once again, I am touched by the outpouring of sympathy on Cruise Critic. This is just one more example of the quality of person who uses this website.

My heart breaks for everyone who is touched by this. I am going to make a huge assumption that the woman who jumped may have suffered with some type of mental illness. While, I know that many people are being inconvenienced by this, I also think this woman (and others who contemplate suicide) deserve our compassion.

Shame on those who have reduced a life to a punchline on CNN and other news sites.

Once again, I am touched by the outpouring of sympathy on Cruise Critic. This is just one more example of the quality of person who uses this website.

Well said.

Unfortunately the results are devastating to family left behind and lots of guilt too.Wish the poor suicidal person would think of them before doing such a thing.

Ouch. Without knowing the circumstances, I wouldn't venture to guess that there's a poor grieving family left behind. If there is, perhaps they have done something that should make them feel guilty. Many people bent on suicide are because of family that removes any other options.

While it's sad for the family it was also a very selfish act. Some of those people have saved all their lives to be able to take this cruise and this person who decided to jump overboard has heavily impacted their trip of a lifetime.

Suicide is usually a pretty selfish act without regard to the havoc it causes in other people's lives. I would guess this person was probably traveling with other family who are now stuck on a cruise-from-hell.

That's just callous. I'm sure the woman who jumped didn't do it as a folly. Where is the caring for those suffering anymore? This kind of selfish attitude might have been what caused this woman to be unable to find another way out of her troubles.

Edited by bdjam

Ouch. Without knowing the circumstances, I wouldn't venture to guess that there's a poor grieving family left behind. If there is, perhaps they have done something that should make them feel guilty. Many people bent on suicide are because of family that removes any other options.

That's just callous. I'm sure the woman who jumped didn't do it as a folly. Where is the caring for those suffering anymore? This kind of selfish attitude might have been what caused this woman to be unable to find another way out of her troubles.

I agree that suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness. If you don't realize how your suicide will affect the lives of the ones that love you, then you are completely self-absorbed. My first brush with someone that committed suicide, did so on his son's sixth birthday... do you think that poor child ever enjoyed another birthday??

Like another poster said, besides the damage to your loved ones, how about the poor innocent people on that cruise ship that saved for the trip of a lifetime just to have it overshadowed by this horror!

I feel terribly sorry for the family, but that is the extent of my sympathy.

I have rarely heard of ANYONE who committed suicide who was not severely depressed and unable - because of their illness - to see any way out of their situation. To expect people in the depths of real clinical depression to be able to see the impact on those around them, is simply not to understand mental illness. I feel sorry for this woman. Indeed the outcome for many people with mental illness might be better if all of us had a better understanding of how terrible this real illness is. The stigma suffered by the mentally ill costs lives too.

Thank you "Thrak" and "san diego sue" for your insightful comments on this very sad situation. Our family has lost a member to suicide and the pain is long felt and deep. And yes, you do have moments of anger that he/she didn't consider the effects his/her action would have on those left behind; and with grief is the thought he/she was selfish. Please don't judge the comments of others as callous. They may be a statement of very sad fact. Prayers for the woman and those whose lives she touched.

I agree that suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness. If you don't realize how your suicide will affect the lives of the ones that love you, then you are completely self-absorbed. My first brush with someone that committed suicide, did so on his son's sixth birthday... do you think that poor child ever enjoyed another birthday??

Like another poster said, besides the damage to your loved ones, how about the poor innocent people on that cruise ship that saved for the trip of a lifetime just to have it overshadowed by this horror!

I think it's great for someone to feel that they never will be so desperate that they consider suicide the only way out...and if they did get to that point they would be rational enough to think of the 'loved ones' they leave behind.

None of us knows the circumstances that led this poor woman to stand in the face of her core instinct - survival - and go over the rail. Accusing someone that desperate of being selfish simply means that you don't understand how horrible life can be for the suicidal. Much more horrible than the inconvenience of a late port call. How someone's life and the unfortunate circumstances that led to their suicide can be compared with a few missed hours in Hilo or the money spent on the luxury of a cruise is beyond my comprehension.

I have rarely heard of ANYONE who committed suicide who was not severely depressed and unable - because of their illness - to see any way out of their situation. To expect people in the depths of real clinical depression to be able to see the impact on those around them, is simply not to understand mental illness. I feel sorry for this woman. Indeed the outcome for many people with mental illness might be better if all of us had a better understanding of how terrible this real illness is. The stigma suffered by the mentally ill costs lives too.

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was crazy.

Edited by bdjam

hi, i am another martha too...and although this may seem like a selfish act to those left behind...it at the time may feel like this is that persons only option...they are obviously not thinking clearly and probably emotionaly overwrought. it is easy to judge from the sidelines...

Thank you "Thrak" and "san diego sue" for your insightful comments on this very sad situation. Our family has lost a member to suicide and the pain is long felt and deep. And yes, you do have moments of anger that he/she didn't consider the effects his/her action would have on those left behind; and with grief is the thought he/she was selfish. Please don't judge the comments of others as callous. They may be a statement of very sad fact. Prayers for the woman and those whose lives she touched.

I can relate to what you say above. We've had a similar experience. One married to a family member and one who was a family friend. They have no idea the damage emotionally they have done to those remaining. It is a selfish act.

Agree re HuffPo/AOL and certainly CNN -- vile creatures there who post their obnoxious messages daily. Probably NOT people who would routinely take an ocean cruise. Awful!

I wonder what those on AOL are writing, wait I mean, The Huffington Post who has hijacked AOL since purchasing them. The Huffington Post makes CNN look like angels. What vile people they have posting on AOL now.

Now more importantly, prayers go out to this very desperate woman's family and friends. I've personally have gone through this with my nephew's suicide and I deeply feel so for the family this woman left behind. Only time will lessen this dreadful pain they are now suffering.

Thank you for saying what I was thinking.

Well said - In my profession I have provided comfort and support to many individuals in a suicidal state. Believe me, many feel like a burden to their family and truly believe they are doing their family and society a favor by taking their life. I can't believe how selfish and judgmental some posters are.

Well said Liz!

I am struck by how much has been written on this thread assuming the lady who jumped was mentally ill. I do not view committing suicide as diagnostic of mental illness. The US and Canada are so afraid to give terminally ill people the ability to control the end of life in any dignified way, that suicide becomes the only legally possible option. However, again, this is me working a different assumption.

And yet, my sympathies do extend to those family and friends left behind who try to make some sense of it all. For those on the same trip, sorry for your inconvenience. However, there is nothing you could have done to stop it regardless of the cause so that perspective is needed.

I won't go into details. But I will tell those people who are just lashing without having been there that you are so wrong. It's not a selfish act, a lot of people who attempt or succeed actual suicide think not only will their unbearable pain end but their family and friends would be better off without them. They don't feel they are loved or needed or feel they are just a burden. If you have never been to that very dark place then please don't judge something you have no clue about.

Jamie

I won't go into details. But I will tell those people who are just lashing without having been there that you are so wrong. It's not a selfish act, a lot of people who attempt or succeed actual suicide think not only will their unbearable pain end but their family and friends would be better off without them. They don't feel they are loved or needed or feel they are just a burden. If you have never been to that very dark place then please don't judge something you have no clue about.

Jamie

Thank you. I have a friend that told me exactly what you said. Until she was able to get help there were times she would call me and tell me she thought about the dark side more then she should.

Edited by waltd

Well said. I have great sympathy for this woman as well as her family.

Having been on scene for countless suicides by every means imaginable, many have been because of a terminal illness. Some have been methodically planned out so as to create the least amount of suffering to the surviving family members. Regardless of the reasons why this person jumped she may have planned it out and died doing something she loved.

Thank you. I have a friend that told me exactly what you said. Until she was able to get help there were times she would call me and tell me she thought about the dark side more then she should.

I hope she has gotten out of it. It's very hard and sometimes after you "fail" you still have the thoughts but on the other hand are fortunate you "failed". Only those who have been in the darkness will understand what I mean. Praying for people with so much pain is what we should be doing and not breaking them down more

Jamie

My friend has had many downs in her life and not a lot of ups. She is now on medication and is doing better but I think it is a challenge every day. She has a great doctor and many friends to help support her.