Making reservations for 5 couples at Chops. The $300 has to be on my credit card??

missygirl1

Just called to book reservations for us and 4 other couples at Chops. I am told the total amount of $300 needs to be placed on my credit card or each couple needs to call individually and book. Is this correct?? On my last NCL cruise I did this and they just charged each couples room when we arrived at the restaurant. I guess I will not be arranging this:(

Yes, anything you prebook through your cruise planner must be prepaid. You can wait to book on board and then it will be charged to each cabin - but with a group that large, don't wait too long;). We had a group that size and they could only accommodate us very late into service (9ish I think):p

If this is something all couples want..why is there a problem with each of you calling individually to insure the reservation for the date and time you need :confused:

Please don't be surprised or assume the policy on RCI's ships will be the same as those on NCL

Edited by Ashland

Somebody told you wrong, we are a party of 11, 5 couples and a solo. I made reservations online and was able to have everybody use their own CC.

I have also done this on several prior cruises. You need their CC info and booking number., then follow the directions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I tend to agree with the OP. In most other circumstances a reservation is not pre-paid...one of the few exceptions is the price is so good that they don't want to waste a potential loss to others that they make you prepay so they don't waste the sale.

Most hotels require a cc to back it, but only charge you if you don't actually turn up, most restaurant reservations don't even require that much...after a fixed period, they just release your reservation. On cruises, unless something really weird happens, you're a captive audience and they know where to find you. Them making you pay in advance makes it feel more like an apartment where they charge you a non-refundable deposit...which makes it pretty much just a fee.

I've always half assumed they'd refund if you cancelled before dinner & credit it to your seapass account, but what if you just plain forget...do you get to re-schedule or is the money just too bad, so sad?

This is why I always make ressies onboard.

Edited by KarinaGW

I tend to agree with the OP. In most other circumstances a reservation is not pre-paid...one of the few exceptions is the price is so good that they don't want to waste a potential loss to others that they make you prepay so they don't waste the sale.

Most hotels require a cc to back it, but only charge you if you don't actually turn up, most restaurant reservations don't even require that much...after a fixed period, they just release your reservation. On cruises, unless something really weird happens, you're a captive audience and they know where to find you. Them making you pay in advance makes it feel more like an apartment where they charge you a non-refundable deposit...which makes it pretty much just a fee.

I've always half assumed they'd refund if you cancelled before dinner & credit it to your seapass account, but what if you just plain forget...do you get to re-schedule or is the money just too bad, so sad?

This is why I always make ressies onboard.

What happens if you don't show I don't know, other than I suspect they charge the $30 pp to your Seapass account, but I do know if you cancel less than 24 hours in advance, they charge you $10 pp, and this is always noted in the Cruise Compass, so I assume if you've prepaid, you only get $20 pp refunded. Edited by peteukmcr

Just called to book reservations for us and 4 other couples at Chops. I am told the total amount of $300 needs to be placed on my credit card or each couple needs to call individually and book. Is this correct?? On my last NCL cruise I did this and they just charged each couples room when we arrived at the restaurant. I guess I will not be arranging this:(

when you book prior to boarding you pay up front. if you are making the reservation for everyone then yes you pay for everyone. it is not difficult to link separate ressies so that each couple may pay their own fee ahead of time.