Forward Cabin Question

sailingmickey

Looking for assurances from someone who has sailed in a forward cabin. We are sailing on a B2B cruise departing from Buenos Aires on March 2 and arriving in Miami. Even thought we booked this cruise in April, just short of a year prior to the cruise, we were booked as a guaranty on the second leg of the cruise from Valparaiso to Miami. When our cabin was assigned, we were give cabin 8017 which is very forward. I am prone to sea sickness, where the patch and even a band sometimes. Needless to say I am concerned about our cabin location. Has anyone sailed that route in a forward cabin, if so, please let me know if my concerns are unfounded. Thank you. :confused:

We had 1521 on Eclipse, which is also pretty far forward. I did not know I was prone to seasickness, but did have a bout in that cabin. Fortunately, I had the patch and put it on. It took about 5 hours to work, so missed first formal night. Did not have a problem after that. You might just have to wear the patch more. But the 8th deck is lower than deck 11, so I would think that might be better. Remember, if any other cabins better located are available at your level, you can move-even on a guarantee.

Looking for assurances from someone who has sailed in a forward cabin. We are sailing on a B2B cruise departing from Buenos Aires on March 2 and arriving in Miami. Even thought we booked this cruise in April, just short of a year prior to the cruise, we were booked as a guaranty on the second leg of the cruise from Valparaiso to Miami. When our cabin was assigned, we were give cabin 8017 which is very forward. I am prone to sea sickness, where the patch and even a band sometimes. Needless to say I am concerned about our cabin location. Has anyone sailed that route in a forward cabin, if so, please let me know if my concerns are unfounded. Thank you. :confused:

See if there are any cabins in your assigned category and try to switch. Once they assign the gty cabin you can move within the category without issue. Maybe theres one that's farther back. Now I'm curious so i'm going to go look lol

Hmm ok scratch that. Looks like you're in a 2B and there's currently no availability listed for that category. :( Keep an eye out though, around final payment you might see some free up.

All that said, I was in 8046 on the summit and I was nervous as I too get sea sick, but I did just fine. Just pray for calm seas. :-)

Edited by ariawoman

I don't mean to rub. GTY cabins may not be suitable for everyone.

The cruise may not be sold out after all. Rooms could be block booked by power travel agencies. They might release the rooms back to the cruise line from time to time.

If you do decide to get patches, Try one BEFORE your cruise to see if you have any side effects. Don't just put one on for the first time on a cruise.

Must advice IMHO

I have rarely used them, and it was years ago and while I have had only minor side effects, dry mouth, sleepiness, a friend actually hallucinated heavily on them.:eek: (yes, it is a possible side effect)

Scopolamine is a very powerful drug.

8394M_2.jpg

I am another who experienced bad side effects from the patch and cannot use it.

As for the motion at the front of the ship, it bothers some people a lot more than others.

When encountering rough waters on a cruise, if you go up to the front of the observation lounge at the front of the ship and stay there for a while, you can quickly figure out whether or not it bothers you. That should give you a pretty good idea of whether or not you would be okay with a forward cabin.

Some people get uncomfortable just sitting in the theater when the ship is getting bounced around a lot.

I used the patches on several cruises, but had too many side effects and quite. Now I simply use ginger pills and do fine.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I too have had success using ginger capsules. I take 2 550mg pills with breakfast and 2 with dinner.

Please note that these can cause blood thinning - so check with your doctor as always!

BTW, if you need it, the guest services desk will give you generic dramamene/bonine (not sure which one) if you just ask...no charge.

I asked for some when we were going to have 30' seas (infinity TA) but never needed to use them....they were "just in case".

I can suffer from seasickness in certain conditions. I have found Bonine to be excellent, and if I get even the slightest hint of mal de mer, I take one immediately. So far, it has worked like a charm. If on a 'rocky' route, I also use ginger tabs, start taking them 1-2 days precruise, and usually by the second cruise day I stop because I don't need them.

Having said all that, we were in the FV, 8108, I believe on Solstice. I didn't get seasick but my adult daughter did. A few Bonine quickly solved the problem for her. So I would stock up.

OP, you don't mention which ship you are on, but the views are great and those forward cabins seem extra large. So not all bad!!!

Edited by CathyCruises