Restaurant Reservations

deadzone1003

We will be going on our 1st Oceania cruise this January aboard the Regatta. We just made our restaurant reservations. Because we are at the lower end of the pecking order, there wasn't much to chose from. Because we chose the option to dine alone, can I assume that pretty much limited our choices? If we had chose to share our tables, would that have opened up quite a few time options? We tend to dine at 6:30 or 7:00 pm. Scanning through this forum, many people mention that getting into the specialty restaurants at the last moment is easier than one would think if you dine very early. Does this requires sharing a table?

We will be going on our 1st Oceania cruise this January aboard the Regatta. We just made our restaurant reservations. Because we are at the lower end of the pecking order, there wasn't much to chose from. Because we chose the option to dine alone, can I assume that pretty much limited our choices? If we had chose to share our tables, would that have opened up quite a few time options? We tend to dine at 6:30 or 7:00 pm. Scanning through this forum, many people mention that getting into the specialty restaurants at the last moment is easier than one would think if you dine very early. Does this requires sharing a table?

For our cruise in December, we had all our reservations made online within our priority (60 days out) and the only tables for two were at 6:30 or 8:30 for every single night of the cruise. I did try to move one to 7:30 by calling Oceania and was told that they could easily move me to 7:30 as long as I was willing to share a table.

On our recent trip on Regatta, we always dined alone in the specialty restaurants and found that there were many shared tables going begging nearly every night. A group of four or more could have done a walk-in pretty much anytime.

For our cruise in December, we had all our reservations made online within our priority (60 days out) and the only tables for two were at 6:30 or 8:30 for every single night of the cruise. I did try to move one to 7:30 by calling Oceania and was told that they could easily move me to 7:30 as long as I was willing to share a table.

On our recent trip on Regatta, we always dined alone in the specialty restaurants and found that there were many shared tables going begging nearly every night. A group of four or more could have done a walk-in pretty much anytime.

Thanks for the info. Curious, does Oceania allow 2 people to dine at 4 person tables?

Thanks for the info. Curious, does Oceania allow 2 people to dine at 4 person tables?

rarely... do not count on it

They set the tables according to the reservations received

GDR maybe

Edited by LHT28

Maybe that night, but they are trying to give access to as many people as possible.

Yes, they do! In Polo one night, we were seated at a 4-top and they removed the other two place settings. There was absolutely no problem and we observed them doing so for others. Perhaps this particular cruise was just heavy in folks that wanted to dine with their SO in the specialty restaurants. In the GDR, there was always a large mix of tables.

Yes, they do. We had signed up for sharing a table and we ended up with just the two of us sitting at a table. If you do not have a suite then basically you will have to agree to share in order to be able to eat at a reasonable time or else get on the really good side of the restaurant manager once aboard the ship.

Yes, they do. We had signed up for sharing a table and we ended up with just the two of us sitting at a table. If you do not have a suite then basically you will have to agree to share in order to be able to eat at a reasonable time or else get on the really good side of the restaurant manager once aboard the ship.

We have never has a suite & always dine at 6:30 pm

Sometimes we do sharing sometimes we do a 2 top

it all depends ..each cruise can have a different passenger demographic

I'll be on the cruise with you. I too like early dinning so got two 6:30's snagged a 2 top but with the other had to settle for a table for 4. Some say better off with a table for 6 in case you get the table mates form hell at least the other couple will help carry the ball. Of course it's just one meal and you and your mate can have something to laugh about for the rest of the night.

Thanks everyone! I guess we just show up at 6:30 and hope for the best.

There may be something else you can try - on our Sept 2013 cruise on Riviera, on embarkation day there were tables set up (iirc 3 different spots depending on cabin category) for specialty dining reservations. I would suggest checking with them for additional reservations or to change existing reservations.

I think a lot comes down to attitude - on our cruise, we were very pleased with our ability to get reservations even after boarding (we had made only 1 reservation ahead of time - *NOT* suggested as a strategy, just the way it happened...). Demand can vary, reservations this last trip were a bit less available than on our Sep 2012 cruise on Riviera. Some others on our 2013 cruise expressed frustration regarding reservations - most of the frustrated folks had a very specific goal. We were in a B-4, so lower on the pre-reservations pecking order than the mildly frustrated folks (they had a great cruise, just didn't eat exactly when & where they wished on a few nights).

After a while it did not matter which specialty restaurant we ate in. They are all wonderful and if one was booked we went to the next and still had a great meal. By doing that we managed to eat most of our dinners in all of them. :):)

We are also on our first Oceania cruise in December 2014 and can't wait!!!

We will be travelling with another couple and both in Oceania suites and just wondering if anyone can advice us as to whether we make our restaurant reservations ahead of time, or wait until we are onboard and have our butlers arrange the reservations for us?

We have previously cruised with Azamara in an Owners Suite and always had our butler make reservations for us for whichever restaurant we wanted and whatever time.

As we are "real" foodies" and love our wines, don't went to miss out with our preferred venue and dining time during our cruise.

Appreciate all info we can get!!

Many thanks

We are also on our first Oceania cruise in December 2014 and can't wait!!!

We will be travelling with another couple and both in Oceania suites and just wondering if anyone can advice us as to whether we make our restaurant reservations ahead of time, or wait until we are onboard and have our butlers arrange the reservations for us?

I believe you can book the reservation as soon as you make final payment

either online or call Oceania

You can always ask your butler when your board to make more or have your meals served in your suite

Many choices ;)