passports needed for Costa Rica

vmcpa

We spent six weeks in Costa Rica last winter. I doubt very much if you need to carry your passport. We never did. Cannot imagine anyone asking you for it.

In fact, we entered the country on a one way ticket-no return ticket. We were told after that this is a big no no that and they refuse entry if you cannot show proof of departure plans. The lady at customs just stamped our passport and waved us on through.

I suspect that there is a big difference between rules and practice.

We are white water rafting in Costa Rica. Do we need to carry our passports. I would hate to get it wet or even worse lose it.

You should not "need" to carry your passport, but I always carry a copy in my back pack whenever off the ship. A color photocopy laminated between a couple of laminating sheets and trimmed about an eighth of and inch oversize to keep the edges waterproof.

I seem to recall reading, prior to our vacation in Costa Rica, that visitors were required to carry their passports at all times. It may only have been while driving.

But we found a huge difference between requirements and practice.

We spent six weeks in Costa Rica last winter. I doubt very much if you need to carry your passport. We never did. Cannot imagine anyone asking you for it.

In fact, we entered the country on a one way ticket-no return ticket. We were told after that this is a big no no that and they refuse entry if you cannot show proof of departure plans. The lady at customs just stamped our passport and waved us on through.

I suspect that there is a big difference between rules and practice.

Perhaps Costa Rica is owned and operated by Holland America Line? Seems to fit the pattern!:D